JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2021 Governing Body Update #6

Go to solution Solved by trottigy,

7 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Thereafter, would they rebuke him, is my question, or advise the local elders to give him stern counsel?

No, they wouldn't, because he hasn't done anything wrong. That vaccine was a legal requirement to go into the country, and he didn't go into the country. He didn't break any law. :)

On the other hand, they wouldn't make a different arrangement either to accommodate his position. He would lose the privilege of serving as a missionary. But of course any missionary can leave his assignment at any time for whatever reasons.

37 minutes ago, carlos said:

On the other hand, they wouldn't make a different arrangement either to accommodate his position.

I wouldn’t want to strain the gnat here, Carlos. You are probably right. Nor would I want to suggest that they should make special accommodation. But given the uniqueness of the present situation, and the effort that goes into training a missionary, I wonder if they would hold to that position regardless. Many firsts are being done in these days of the pandemic. And it is also true that circuit overseers will often be assigned circuits in the proximity of ailing parents; the branch does accommodate when they deem the cause reasonable. Whether they would think this reasonable or not—your guess is as good as mine.

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

5 hours ago, Polka Dot said:

Sometimes it feels like our brothers and sisters who do not wish to get vaccinated right now are looked down on - based on some of the comments.  (I apologize if that is not the case).

And this is definitely NOT the case. This is expounded upon more starting with this post and on through the following page.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/49467-opinion-what-anti-vaxxers-sound-like-to-me/?do=findComment&comment=829380

In summary, when members used the term "anti-vaxxers" they are referring to the broad movement of those who peddle false anti-vaccine propaganda, usually for mindless political reasons. They are not referring to our brothers and sisters who have made an informed choice to abstain from taking the vaccine for now due to their personal medical conditions which they fear the vaccine may interact with, or just wanting to wait a little longer to observe if there will be any long term effects. Granted, it's unlikely, but the concern is very real to some individuals, and that should be respected.

With that said, the Forum Membership Policy reminds us not to be quick to take offense, to settle personal disagreements in private, and to not assault another member in an open discussion, nor to post off-topic comment or troll the conversations. Therefore, I've gone though this topic and removed a handful of posts where unvaccinated people were taking offense, assaulting other members, and posting off-topic. Further efforts may result in Warning Points being issued or your Full Access account being put back into Moderation, whether in this topic or in any other.  Members who want to discuss the negatives of taking a vaccine may start a topic in the Alternative News from Offbeat Sources & Sensitive Topics forum.

This topic is about the 2021 Governing Body Update #6 video and why it is encouraging. If it fails to stay on topic, we'll just lock it, which would be incredibly sad.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

2 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

And this is definitely NOT the case. This is expounded upon more starting with this post and on through the following page.

https://jwtalk.net/topic/49467-opinion-what-anti-vaxxers-sound-like-to-me/?do=findComment&comment=829380

In summary, when members used the term "anti-vaxxers" they are referring to the broad movement of those who peddle false anti-vaccine propaganda, usually for mindless political reasons. They are not referring to our brothers and sisters who have made an informed choice to abstain from taking the vaccine for now due to their personal medical conditions which they fear the vaccine may interact with, or just wanting to wait a little longer to observe if there will be any long term effects. Granted, it's unlikely, but the concern is very real to some individuals, and that should be respected.

With that said, the Forum Membership Policy reminds us not to be quick to take offense, to settle personal disagreements in private, and to not assault another member in an open discussion, nor to post off-topic comment or troll the conversations. Therefore, I've gone though this topic and removed a handful of posts where unvaccinated people were taking offense, assaulting other members, and posting off-topic. Further efforts may result in Warning Points being issued or your Full Access account being put back into Moderation, whether in this topic or in any other. 

If may say, first I had not read the posts that you are referring to at the top of the paragraph until after I had made my posts or I would have remained silence because other spoke much better than me. Second, I have not assaulted any members in this discussion or any other discussion.  So I am left very confused by this. And yes there has been posts from unvaccinated ones who have taken offense but there has also been posts from vaccinated ones who have been very harsh in their words towards those who are not vaccinated.  I do not understand how this simple statement comes across as assaulting anyone... "Sometimes it feels like our brothers and sisters who do not wish to get vaccinated right now are looked down on - based on some of the comments.  (I apologize if that is not the case)". 

There has been much harsher words said towards those who have chosen to not get vaccinated.  I was just stating how some of those comments had made me feel.

They have truly hurt my heart. But if you feel like because I made that comment I am deserving of being given a warning or having my account put back in moderation that is your choice brother.  

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

31 minutes ago, Polka Dot said:

I am left very confused by this.

My comments are directed to all members en masse, and not to you personally. My apologies for the confusion.

CarnivoreTalk.com - my health coaching website. youtube.png/@CarnivoreTalk - My latest YouTube project

Having ploughed through this, (playing catch up!) 2 things come to mind for me :

"I might not agree with you, but I respect your right to say it". ( Pre supposing courtesy and reasonableness, of course).

And something I habitually found myself saying to my children: 

" It's not what you said, it's the tone you said it in!". 

Both statements translate into " I might want or not want to take the vaccine, I respect your decision to do the opposite. And you need to respect mine.

12 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

My comments are directed to all members en masse, and not to you personally. My apologies for the confusion.

Thank you Brother.  My sincere apologies also.  If I may, I would greatly appreciate it if you or any of the mods would delete all my posts on this subject.  Thank you kindly.  

Edited by Polka Dot

"Life can be understood by looking back but it must be lived by looking ahead".

From going over the 6 videos for LDC safety training with my wife and answering the 41 questions afterwards, I understand some of the reasons why there were 98 percent who took the vaccine. 

That training plus being on various rbc /LDC projects in the past and 3 week training at my local assembly Hall in the past really helps me see why the amount who took it is that high. 

Which makes me wonder, how many friends who have a problem with the vaccine available in their respective countries are former or current rbc /LDC volunteers? 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

On 7/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, carlos said:

I don't know of any countries where the vaccine is compulsory. But I thought of a similar situation, not sure it helps. Some missionaries and overseers are sent to countries where a vaccine is compulsory. Or sometimes GB members or other representatives visit those countries.

Now imagine a missionary who is sent to Congo, where a malaria vaccine certificate is required to enter the country. The missionary is free to reject the malaria vaccine but then he will have to go home. The organization will not give him a different assignment because he doesn't want to take a vaccine.

I am not sure there is such a thing as a efficacious malaria vaccine. I took tablets when I travelled. 

What about if a vaccine had blood fractions in it say human Albumin. Would the missionary be given the ultimatum to either take the vaccine and go to the designated country or no longer be a missionary. I don't think our loving brothers would be like that.

edit.... okay there is 1 approved malaria vaccine although it isn't very good and I don't think it is mandated for any country. 

Edited by Cool Cat

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

35 minutes ago, Cool Cat said:

I am not sure there is such a thing as a efficacious malaria vaccine. I took tablets when I travelled. 

[...]

edit.... okay there is 1 approved malaria vaccine although it isn't very good and I don't think it is mandated for any country. 

Simon, I simply checked an online official list of countries that require visitors to be vaccinated and picked Congo from among them. I have no idea of how effective the vaccine is. :)

35 minutes ago, Cool Cat said:

What about if a vaccine had blood fractions in it say human Albumin. Would the missionary be given the ultimatum to either take the vaccine and go to the designated country or no longer be a missionary. I don't think our loving brothers would be like that.

Thanks for this comment, since it goes to to the heart of the subject. That illustrates perfectly well the difference between a conscience decision --where there are Scriptural principles involved-- and a personal choice, which is just a personal preference.

The Slave would never suggest, much less pressure, a brother to do anything against his conscience. But they may ignore a personal choice. If there's a country where you need to dress in blue, and you hate blue, they are not going to give you a different assignment. If there's a country where insects are the staple food and you find insects disgusting, they are not going to give you a different assignment. Taking or not a vaccine which doesn't contain blood fractions belongs to that category.

At this point:

image.png.23abc51b17534a3486d0e6235166c0c3.png

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Has anyone else heard this?
7CAFF6F9-9512-49C9-91A9-89C924E63AB8.thumb.jpeg.372af2496a76c8bad46b7620571f19a0.jpeg

Yes, for now we remain cautious. This is good. I love the slave when they take good care of the little sheep in their flock, and when they protect the preaching work. We still get the preaching work done, and we can communicate with others. This is very good.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

15 minutes ago, Hope said:

This is all absolutely fine with me. I'm in no hurry to go to physical meetings or in-person ministry. 👍🏼👍🏼

I second that!

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

3 hours ago, On the huh said:

It sounds like they are still looking at this from a worldwide perspective, and not locally.  I wonder if that will continue like that, and we will only get back to meetings at the Kingdom Hall, and public ministry when the pandemic is over worldwide.

Yes I believe that

Only when pandemic ends

and Even so… Noah wanted to leave the Ark but Jehovah only opened the door two months later when it was safe….

this is what I believe 

let’s keep on the watch…

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

It sounds like they are still looking at this from a worldwide perspective, and not locally.  I wonder if that will continue like that, and we will only get back to meetings at the Kingdom Hall, and public ministry when the pandemic is over worldwide.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all. We are an interconnected world.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”