JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2021 Governing Body Update #7

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 949 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Maybe it’s just me, but he seems more relaxed too and he gestures more. ☺️

In the past, I was struggling to sometimes understand him. But now, I find he too is an excellent speaker and I really look forward to his talks. 

I know I’m strange. 🤪

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

50 minutes ago, Hope said:

And I love his ring! 

That's the 2020 secret decoder ring. The old black one was out of date..

🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

27 minutes ago, Anthony said:

You can sense through the loving but direct counsel how close the end is! And you can also sense that they are getting us ready for the “unusual” direction the Governing Body will have to give us in the very near future!!! 

My EXACT sentiments!

4 hours ago, Hope said:

Excellent update. Bro Lösch is looking noticeably more tanned and fit than the video clip!  😉  And I love his ring! 

20210827_202209.jpg

3 hours ago, Sofia said:

I noticed the ring too 🤗🤗

3 hours ago, Shannie said:

The rings the brothers wear always seem to bother me… 

not sure why 

Typical of our sisters. 

A lot of such details I also hear them from my wife.

I know she is not alone.

Certainly not a big deal, but...

Did anyone notice Brother Lösch mispronounced the name Naaman when he discussed 2 Kings chapter 5? According to the pronunciation guides in the Bible (paper or electronic versions), it should be:

Naʹa·man

The emphasis mark is on the first syllable. This is consistent with the verbal pronunciation in the Insight volume in the Watchtower Library (DVD), and with the old Bible reading recordings. However, Brother Lösch consistently pronounced it with the emphasis on the second syllable.

I'm not sure what to make of that just yet. And you...? (No comment is necessary since, as mentioned, it's not a big deal.)

11 minutes ago, Sheep said:

I'm not sure what to make of that just yet. And you...? (No comment is necessary since, as mentioned, it's not a big deal.)

Good, no big deal!

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

6 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Yeah, maybe... Brother Lösch does have an accent, doesn't he?

Keep him away from the fords of the Jordan...🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

6 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That's the 2020 secret decoder ring. The old black one was out of date..

🤣

Be the first on your block, send two paper covers from you WT subscription and 25 cents and you too can have your own decoder ring! *

* Don't forget to include your stamped self address envelope.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I guess I was too busy listening to the information to notice the ring, color of his tie, what shoes he was wearing or the pronunciation of the words other than the accent ...

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

10 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I guess I was too busy listening to the information to notice the ring, color of his tie, what shoes he was wearing or the pronunciation of the words other than the accent ...

You need to watch it more than once...🤣

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

Did anyone notice Brother Lösch mispronounced the name Naaman when he discussed 2 Kings chapter 5? According to the pronunciation guides in the Bible (paper or electronic versions), it should be:

Naʹa·man

The emphasis mark is on the first syllable. This is consistent with the verbal pronunciation in the Insight volume in the Watchtower Library (DVD), and with the old Bible reading recordings. However, Brother Lösch consistently pronounced it with the emphasis on the second syllable.

It sounded better to me.. more authentic, tbh.

I'm not always convinced we're pronouncing these foreign words properly.  😬  I am very grateful we now say "Gaza" rather than "Ga'za".  We don't often follow the standard Hebrew/Arabic way of pronouncing vowels or accents, which tend more to the second or last syllable.

I know consonants can be more problematic but using short "a's" and "i" pronounced as "e", etc. seems to make sense 🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyway, yeah... noticed 😉

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

My noticing those things mean I *was* paying very close attention. It's really all about the details for me. 😊

10 hours ago, Sheep said:

Naʹa·man

Its Just His Accent. 

8 hours ago, Hope said:

It sounded better to me.. more authentic, tbh.

I'm not always convinced we're pronouncing these foreign words properly.  😬  I am very grateful we now say "Gaza" rather than "Ga'za".  We don't often follow the standard Hebrew/Arabic way of pronouncing vowels or accents, which tend more to the second or last syllable.

I know consonants can be more problematic but using short "a's" and "i" pronounced as "e", etc. seems to make sense 🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyway, yeah... noticed 😉

Listen in to some of our speakers here in the UK and you'll notice several differences in pronunciation of Bible words.

Isaiah for example, and Philistines are the main ones that come to mind.

On the subject raised earlier about the lack of information about the numbers of deaths among the brothers from covid I too noticed no mention of it. Maybe it was done to avoid discouragement I agree. Having said that sometimes it just raises more questions in the minds of listeners. I think I'd prefer to know, but I understand we aren't all the same.

As for using face masks, I'm happy to say that where I live most shoppers are continuing to use them, even though they are no longer legally required, though certain shops still require shoppers who enter their stores use them. So sad that we've seen such an increase in antis, antivaxxers, antimaskers, antilockdown....I'm glad some of this was raised in update no.7.

1 hour ago, friendlyone said:

Listen in to some of our speakers here in the UK and you'll notice several differences in pronunciation of Bible words.

Isaiah for example, and Philistines are the main ones that come to mind.

I was thinking this very thing. Last month we had a guest speaker from the UK who gave a great talk. I noticed he pronounced Isaiah differently. I thought to myself could this perhaps be the correct pronunciation?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, *Jack* said:

I was thinking this very thing. Last month we had a guest speaker from the UK who gave a great talk. I noticed he pronounced Isaiah differently. I thought to myself could this perhaps be the correct pronunciation?

I thought the same thing once. It was because of the way it was pronounced in the older Bible reading recordings (on cassette) from the 1980s & 90s. It was like Eye·z-eye·yah. (Listen to how Neeta says it here, at the 29-second mark.) However that's because it was a British brother doing the reading of the book of Isaiah, and that's the way it's pronounced in the UK. In the US and Canada, though, it's Eye·zay·yah.

Edited by Sheep