JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2021 Governing Body Update #7

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 950 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

In the 1940s and 50s we harped about pronounciation continually. If I was to pronounce Jehovah starting with 'gee instead of a short 'e' my mom and my TMS conductor were both on my case. Now we hear that pronunciation at our conventions from both helpers and the GB.

Philistines, not PhiliSTINEs and the list went on and on. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

10 minutes ago, Old said:

Philistines, not PhiliSTINEs and the list went on and on. :)

That one still sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Please can we go back to the topic?

we need to listen to the FDS now, otherwise satan will try to divied us.

if we do this now, we will be better prepared for:

« At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not.» 

35 minutes ago, Keep Fighting said:

Please can we go back to the topic?

we need to listen to the FDS now, otherwise satan will try to divied us.

if we do this now, we will be better prepared for:

« At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not.» 

EXACTLY!!!! That’s what I think they were getting us ready for. Who knows maybe the unusual direction will come sooner than later!!!

20 hours ago, *Jack* said:

I was thinking this very thing. Last month we had a guest speaker from the UK who gave a great talk. I noticed he pronounced Isaiah differently. I thought to myself could this perhaps be the correct pronunciation?

You guys should all speak Spanish. In Spanish you read it as you write it, there is no question of how a name is pronounced. :lol::lol:

21 hours ago, friendlyone said:

As for using face masks, I'm happy to say that where I live most shoppers are continuing to use them, even though they are no longer legally required, though certain shops still require shoppers who enter their stores use them. So sad that we've seen such an increase in antis, antivaxxers, antimaskers, antilockdown....I'm glad some of this was raised in update no.7.

I like how brother Lösch applied the story of Naaman to show that actually pride is behind all that antimask, antilockdown, anti-anything rhetoric. Of course one can personally question the effectiveness of some measures the authorities take, but in the end it all comes down to being humble and obeying. Jehovah blesses those who obey, not those who are right.

I also loved how, whether one decides to take a vaccine or not, or any other medical choice we make, we should not make that a matter of contention as the world does. Unity and peace in the congregation are much more important than our personal choices.

5 hours ago, carlos said:

I like how brother Lösch applied the story of Naaman to show that actually pride is behind all that antimask, antilockdown, anti-anything rhetoric. Of course one can personally question the effectiveness of some measures the authorities take, but in the end it all comes down to being humble and obeying. Jehovah blesses those who obey, not those who are right.

Yes, in the example about Naaman, there was no discussion as to if the rivers Naaman mentioned really were cleaner or more convenient that the Jordan. The emphasis was on the direction from Jehovah.

We have direction from the FDS/GB - do we listen or "debate the science"?

Hopefully, after Update #7 less will debate and more will try for unity - regardless of their personal decision.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 8/29/2021 at 1:20 AM, Hope said:

It sounded better to me.. more authentic, tbh.

I'm not always convinced we're pronouncing these foreign words properly.  😬  I am very grateful we now say "Gaza" rather than "Ga'za".  We don't often follow the standard Hebrew/Arabic way of pronouncing vowels or accents, which tend more to the second or last syllable.

I know consonants can be more problematic but using short "a's" and "i" pronounced as "e", etc. seems to make sense 🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyway, yeah... noticed 😉

He made a slight faupaux when he gave the concluding part in the symposium about imitating faith of those in modern times too.  At the end of his talk, he was going down he list of all those we discussed (in the order that they were discussed) and before the Modern Day examples, was Martha but he kept saying "Mary".  Easy mistake to make, just shows they are all still imperfect humans like we are.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

But wanting the kitchen work done had nothing to do with her faith. It didn't make her believe in Jesus any less than Mary. Rather it was an issue of priorities. But people have so often repeated the bad example of Martha, that they had to balance the scales and focus on the good in her also.

Ps. I've noticed they've done this rectifiying with several other Bible characters, rounding out how we perceive them and what we focus on, and I can't but help think that they realize we're so close to the end and some resurrected ones, or their loved ones, might be offended that their story was told overemphasizing the negative aspects. lol  

Edited by M.J.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, friendlyone said:

I think the American version is the more accurate one. 

No, the British English is the original one :lol1:

12 hours ago, shali said:

He made a slight faupaux when he gave the concluding part in the symposium about imitating faith of those in modern times too.  At the end of his talk, he was going down he list of all those we discussed (in the order that they were discussed) and before the Modern Day examples, was Martha but he kept saying "Mary".  Easy mistake to make, just shows they are all still imperfect humans like we are.

Is this Martha/ Mary a thing from the update or rather the convention?

When you really think about it, as Bro. Losch mentioned, that more than 19,000 JW's have died! Thats basically a  WHOLE MEMORIAL ATTENDANCE, of what we usually average out to almost every year!!!😳😧😕😱

1 hour ago, Enoch said:

When you really think about it, as Bro. Losch mentioned, that more than 19,000 JW's have died! Thats basically a  WHOLE MEMORIAL ATTENDANCE, of what we usually average out to almost every year!!!😳😧😕😱

I didn't understand what you're saying... The average memorial attendance is 19 millions (or more) not thousands....

Edited by jayrtom

9 hours ago, Enoch said:

Add 3 more zeros (19,000,000) and that is our whole memorial attendance. But it's still a good percentage, which is sad - 1900 congregations wiped out in 18 months is what it averages out to be.

On 9/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, shali said:

Add 3 more zeros (19,000,000) and that is our whole memorial attendance. But it's still a good percentage, which is sad - 1900 congregations wiped out in 18 months is what it averages out to be.

Um... not quite. Assuming 100 publishers per congregation, that would be 190 congregations wiped out.

Still sad, though. :(

3 hours ago, Sheep said:

Um... not quite. Assuming 100 publishers per congregation, that would be 190 congregations wiped out.

Still sad, though. :(

LOL, my math is as bad as the person I tried to correct! The blind leading the blind!😂

1 hour ago, WilliamChew said:

For the CLMM Sept 13-19, instead of "Keep Training Your Powers of Discernment ”: (15 min.) where we play and discuss the video “Maintain a Good Conscience.”

The discussion will be replaced with GB Update #7.

I don't know if its world wide.

1 hour ago, cme said:

It seems that it is.  We will be seeing the Update #7 this week.

It usually is worldwide but we didn't receive any orientation in Portugal...yet

Certainly not a big deal, but...

Did anyone notice Brother Lösch mispronounced the name Naaman when he discussed 2 Kings chapter 5? According to the pronunciation guides in the Bible (paper or electronic versions), it should be:

Naʹa·man

The emphasis mark is on the first syllable. This is consistent with the verbal pronunciation in the Insight volume in the Watchtower Library (DVD), and with the old Bible reading recordings. However, Brother Lösch consistently pronounced it with the emphasis on the second syllable.

I'm not sure what to make of that just yet. And you...? (No comment is necessary since, as mentioned, it's not a big deal.)

It was just an oversight remembering that most of our GB members are up in age!

Voni in NC

The difference between try and triumph is that little "umph"