JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Peace and Security, Great Tribulation, Armageddon

The latest stabbing of a Bishop in Sydney on Monday was labelled a “terrorist act”. The Bishop was giving livestream mass in an Assyrian Orthodox Christian Church. The attacker was a 16 yr old Muslim boy. There was a violent riot outside the church when over a hundred mad, deranged men pelted police with rocks and anything else, delaying paramedics and causing serious injury to 2 police.

Coming on the back of the other fatal stabbing in Bondi by a mentally insane 40 year old off his meds, Sydney is like a powder keg atm. There is a call for calm, but the calling of the second stabbing a “terrorist act” (which enables the police extraordinary powers of investigation), has isolated and enraged some of the Muslim community. Things are showing how close we are to imploding as a society. People are really scared at the horror in their own backyards.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-18/two-knife-attacks-bondi-junction-wakeley-terrorism-target-women-/103736578?utm_source=abc_news_app&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_campaign=abc_news_app&utm_content=link

11 hours ago, IceBreeze said:

Actually it is funny to see that there are rightnow, believe it or not, 195 pages about Peace and Security, Great Tribulation and Armageddon

It sure is ! There is also a thread titled 

"What Convinces You the Great Tribulation Is About to Begin " it was started in 2019! and has 389 pages ! 

Its a hot topic on all our minds who are so weary of this old world. When I first joined this forum, I started at the beginning on that thread and read all 300 + pages. Like a book. It took me over 2 weeks. I gained much valuable insight , especially from people who feel the same as me. -tired of this world and ready for the new one ! Many different perspectives to be gleaned. 

This thread is great too ! 

On 4/16/2024 at 8:13 PM, Doug said:

The UN may try to put lipstick on the pig ~ but the Olympics may be the world's stage for nationalism rather than peace, as usual.  The world is broken and cannot be patched-up, not even temporarily, imho.

It could get worse than you imagine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_massacre 1972.

17 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

..... stabbing of a Bishop ..... terrorist act ..... Christian Church ..... The attacker was a Muslim ..... violent riot ..... church ..... deranged men pelted police ..... enraged ..... Muslim community ..... People are really scared at the horror in their own backyards.

This out of context information is what people will read, talk and remember about it.

Are nationalism and far-right already profiting from this situation?

Know this my beloved brothers, I am not a native English speaker.

Please be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger. (James 1:19)

On 4/17/2024 at 5:42 AM, JennyM said:

Thanks for all your posts on current events. 

As for me, I want to be balance. Ill be more busy in my personal prayers, study and spiritual goals rather looking at all signs. 

So many things have been said on this thread, and it took me back to a time a few years ago, back in the 1960's, in fact, when there was a lot of heated discussion about 1975:

Some of the brothers and sisters believed that 1975 would see the outbreak of Armageddon. In  1966 the Organisation produced a book entitled "Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God", some of you will remember it. This book gave chronology based on biblical and secular historical data. The book referenced the creation of Adam and measured the timeline up to 1975, marking that time as 6,000 years of human history. The book said "..the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975" (Life Everlasting pp.26-35).

Concerning 1975, the publication went on to say..."How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make this seventh period of a thousand years a sabbath period for rest and release........This would be most timely for mankind" (Ibid 29-30).

At the Baltimore summer assembly (district convention) of 1966, in a talk given by brother Franz, he said "What about the year 1975?.......Does it mean that Armageddon is going to be finished and Satan bound, by 1975? It could! It could! All thigs are possible with God.............But we are not saying. And don't any of you be specific in saying anything that is going to happen between now and 1975" (Article "Rejoicing Over 'God's Sons of Liberty' Spiritual Feast" Watchtower 15th October 1966 p. 631)

The Watchtower further stated: "This is not the time to be toying with the words of Jesus that 'concerning the day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father'" (Article "Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975?" Watchtower 15th August 1968)

---------------------------------------------------

These are some sobering points, brothers and sisters of the need to be cautious and careful as we await God's due time to reveal the timing of these events. When we make assumptions and rush ahead, we may be caught out. Let us be careful.

Edited by Mike047

In the Watchtower w80 3/15 pp17, 18 "Choosing the Best Way of Life" it made these points:

"In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has lead to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book 'Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God', and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man's existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated"

In its issue of July 15th 1976 The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but his own understanding was based on wrong premises". The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes entered on that date"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

We are thankful for our brothers honest appraisal of information that had lead to a wrong expectation but, similar to the early 1900's when the brothers expected to be taken to heaven, Jehovah corrects us and, in effect he says "wait for me. I will not be late"

1 hour ago, Mike047 said:

These are some sobering points, brothers and sisters of the need to be cautious and careful as we await God's due time to reveal the timing of these events. When we make assumptions and rush ahead, we may be caught out. Let us be careful.

Reading your comments reminded me of this post by @Parale - Look at 1975-77 on the graphs!

Being too hasty to set dates can have terrible consequences.

It's great to ponder on things, it helps keep your hope alive, but it's super important not too be dogmatic.

It'll come at just the right time, not a moment too early or a moment too late - because Jehovah is the perfect time keeper :)

I know we are very close to the end. The GB has stated we are at the end of the end. I've not read any dates on the forums but some have stated how long they feel like this system can go on. Because of the decline of things, the political unrest, the wars, the damage to the environment, the light that's getting brighter, the preaching work that has been proclaim worldwide, and the fulfillment of prophecies, I don't see this system going on for a long time. Jehovah wants us to keep in expectation of it.  Sometimes, certain details mean something but sometime we can read into something that means nothing. I think that speculation is where we need to be cautious.

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

36 minutes ago, Mike047 said:

it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but his own understanding was based on wrong premises". The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah's Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes entered on that date"

It was a remarkable error when you consider the process of drafting such information, analyzing it, supporting with scriptures, proofreading and revising etc, etc.

"OUR own understanding", as highlighted above, came from Jehovah's channel.  We accept what the GB publish as OUR current understanding.

It's a pity some were stumbled, but they didn't have to be.  I wasn't.  Baptized in 1975  (Just in time . . lol)

41 minutes ago, Dhanyel said:

Let's remember 

Keep Busy During the Last of “the Last Days”

https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/watchtower-study-october-2019/keep-busy-during-last-days/

Screenshot_20240418-162127.thumb.png.7203b025c083105631007bc4f7c6310d.png

Good encouragement, although some statements are no longer our understanding.  Par. 6, 9 and 14.

After I sold my flooring business, the new owner asked me to help him to bid on a carpet replacement for a church.  Although I would have only been a consultant, I declined.  Par. 17 and 18.

I think it was his church.    :facepalmpo2:

42 minutes ago, Doug said:

Good encouragement, although some statements are no longer our understanding.  Par. 6, 9 and 14.

After I sold my flooring business, the new owner asked me to help him to bid on a carpet replacement for a church.  Although I would have only been a consultant, I declined.  Par. 17 and 18.

I think it was his church.    :facepalmpo2:

I think, the idea on paragraph 14 wasn't mentioned and get a brighter explanation on 2023 Annual Meeting. So I don't think that it was no longer our understanding.

4 hours ago, Mike047 said:

In the Watchtower w80 3/15 pp17, 18 "Choosing the Best Way of Life" it made these points:

Wasn't that the year that Raymond Franz was removed? Was he the one responsible for the focus on the year 1975?

40 minutes ago, jrnievas said:

I think, the idea on paragraph 14 wasn't mentioned and get a brighter explanation on 2023 Annual Meeting. So I don't think that it was no longer our understanding.

"This means trying to motivate people to make the truth their own by applying what they learn, dedicating their life to Jehovah, and getting baptized. Only then will they survive Jehovah's day".  Par 14.

With our new understanding, it remains possible for someone to make a dedication after the GT has started, maybe get baptized, assuming they would still need to qualify for baptism.  But one thing we know for sure, everyone who hopes to survive Jehovah's day will face the attack of Gog, baptized or not.

3 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Sometimes, certain details mean something but sometime we can read into something that means nothing. I think that speculation is where we need to be cautious.

Good point! When the March broadcast mentioned 'Poly Crisis', I looked it up and saw an economic site WEForum.org, with a list of items we have only 2 years to solve, then a 10 year list to solve. Hmmm? If you don't make it past the 2 year list then the 10 year list is pointless.

I suppose the cautious approach is that we need to be careful not to equate their timestamp with the Bible. It does show true what Luke 21 stated that the nations are in a state of anxiety and confusion.

Our period is different from 1975. Ive talked to people who have lived during 1975 and  said that life was easier back then compare today. 

Crimes are horrible. Several young women were raped and killed in my country. In 1990s, people arent afraid to let their children play outside. Now, parents are scared to let their children out of sight. 

Inflation is so high. 

We have mental health crisis, economic , environmental crisis. thousands of nuclear weapons. 

No wonder that soon "people will faint out of fear."

Yes, GT is close. and I want the new world but I want my mind to be balance that the most important thing is to serve Jehovah regardless of how long this system will last. 

5 hours ago, Doug said:

It's a pity some were stumbled, but they didn't have to be.  I wasn't.  Baptized in 1975  (Just in time . . lol)

Baptized in 1972, I didn't see that many focusing on 1975, but there were a few standouts. One brother who recently died in his 80s, once told a householder that 'we believe 1975 will be it'. I was shocked and told him after the call: "We can't tell people that, as we don't know ourselves!!!". His retort was "we have to get people moving to the truth". He was a good brother to the end, but did go a little overboard with his preaching at that time. He did mellow after 1975, but he only caused trouble for himself and others by jumping the gun. We have always been told to have a 'wait and see' attitude. Even with the latest information about the 'Poly Crisis' recently mentioned in March broadcast. We have been in a Poly Crisis since 1914, but with varying degrees.

Be flexible, do the job of the evangelizer, do Jehovah's will, be active, do our regular personal and family worship, do our regular Bible reading and meditation, keep Jehovah's word in our heart, regularly feed ourselves with timely spiritual foods... Doing these regularly, we keep ourselve in the faith and in Jehovah's refuge. One day we will see in surprise Jehovah's day that we cannot imagine today😊

50 minutes ago, MChill14 said:

It appears Israel may have retaliated against Iran. I haven't found any details or news reports yet to confirm.

IMG_0318.jpeg

Wow, I'm actually shocked. The USA said they didn't support that idea, so I didn't think they'd do it.

There are a lot of conflicts happening right now; it's easy to see how a cry of p&s would happen if all of these wars ended.

Israel launches missile strikes into Iran in response to Tehran's attack Sunday

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/18/1245763498/israel-iran-missile-strikes

Edited by LeolaRootStew