JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gunman opens fire in German city of Hamburg - Brothers and Sisters Wounded

14 minutes ago, LoneWanderer said:

I am sure the brothers will post a news flash report, if not a banner notification on top of jw.org and JW Library, then at least a piece in the Newsroom, when there is more (accurate) information available 😞

There will not be a lot on it by the organisation. A statement. 

Possibly a sentence or two on how many are deceased. No need to create fear or panic. 

We now know a little more about the chronology of tonight’s events.

Police received a call soon after 9pm local time, a spokesperson said. Officers quickly arrived at the scene to find several people seriously injured and some dead.

“Then they heard a shot from above, they went upstairs and found one further person,” the spokesperson said.

Read the latest here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/mar/10/hamburg-shooting-attack-church-deaths-germany

Here is what we know about tonight’s shooting in Hamburg, Germany:

• Shortly after 9pm police were alerted to a shooting inside a Jehovah’s Witness centre in the northern German city of Hamburg. Seven people were killed and 25 injured, some seriously, police said.
  • Police said the gunman was believed to be among the dead. “We have no indications of a perpetrator on the run,” a spokesperson said soon after the attack. Later, police said that they had found a “lifeless person … who we believe could be a perpetrator”. Investigations were ongoing to rule out the involvement of further perpetrators, police said.
  • A special police unit happened to be driving past the centre when they heard shots being fired, local media outlets reported. The USE taskforce officers were on their way to their accommodation at the police headquarters in Alsterdorf when they stopped to investigate the attack, entering the building and evacuating people.
  • The Hamburg police say that there is currently “no reliable information about the motive for the crime”. The police said on a Twitter post, “So far, there is no reliable information on the motive for the crime. We ask that you do not share unsecured assumptions and/or spread rumours.”
  • Police alerted people to an “extreme danger” in the area using a catastrophe warning app. Residents must stay indoors and avoid the area, police said, adding that streets surrounding the church have been cordoned off.
  • Hamburg’s mayor, Peter Tschentscher, has responded to the attack, calling it “shocking”. “The reports from Alsterdorf / Groß Borstel are shocking. My deepest condolences to the families of the victims,” he said.

Edited by ➕👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone

21 minutes ago, Rocco said:

There will not be a lot on it by the organisation. A statement. 

Possibly a sentence or two on how many are deceased. No need to create fear or panic. 

I don’t see how keeping everyone informed would contribute to creating panic.

After all, congregations worldwide have received information how to handle lobby attendant duties, but in this case the perpetrator might have known about the timing of the meetings, and come in as the meeting was ending/people were exiting the building.

These articles were published after the incident in Finland when a terrorist killed a sister engaging in public witnessing in 2017:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/finland/jehovahs-witnesses-offer-comfort-after-attack-turku/

https://www.jw.org/en/news/releases/by-region/finland/jehovahs-witnesses-resume-preaching-turku/

Edited by LoneWanderer

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

10 minutes ago, LoneWanderer said:

I don’t see how keeping everyone informed would contribute to creating panic.

Not just panic. Rage, grief... Seven killed means seven families, at least. They go on JW.ORG every day, just like the rest of us. They don't need to be hearing anything but support from the brothers. The website won't be making any kind of spectacle about it. Even accurate details are likely to escalate things if broadcast. The news doesn't care about putting gruesome details all over the net, but our brothers do.

A shooting isn't like losing a loved one in a natural disaster. We may get a segment on the fallout on one of the broadcasts, but it won't be soon. Anyone notice that Dennis Christensen hasn't appeared on the website since he was freed? The Society will let the victims recover above anything else.

Last check on jw.org, nothing yet.  The governing body will have accurate information once they get all the facts from the brothers in Hamburg.   The media stories have inaccurate inaccurate information.  Some news outlets are reporting the entire congregation was slaughtered.  Others are saying 7 killed and 12 injured.   Will wait on our own website for accuracy.  It may be there tomorrow or not.   Our opening prayer was for our brother's / sister's in Hamburg.  The meeting we had tonight, was the same as the meeting our brothers had in Hamburg!   I couldn't sing the opening song, because I knew that our brothers sang it earlier. 

Reminds me of this murder in Korea that happened in 1992, killing 15 and injuring 25 of  Korean brothers and sisters.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/101993288

Wow. We truly are in the last days with more and more critical times HARD to deal with coming. It’s amazing to see how Jehovah helps us through these difficult times by means of His organization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Allabord4Jah said:

Last check on jw.org, nothing yet.  The governing body will have accurate information once they get all the facts from the brothers in Hamburg.   The media stories have inaccurate inaccurate information.  Some news outlets are reporting the entire congregation was slaughtered.  Others are saying 7 killed and 12 injured.   Will wait on our own website for accuracy.  It may be there tomorrow or not.   Our opening prayer was for our brother's / sister's in Hamburg.  The meeting we had tonight, was the same as the meeting our brothers had in Hamburg!   I couldn't sing the opening song, because I knew that our brothers sang it earlier. 

Since JW.org news is selective, this news might not be on there. Just have to wait and see.

It is hours past the event, time to give cosideration and prayers for the famiies of the wounded. In Trauma of this sort plasma is the treatment of choice. Unlikely the medical personal had time to consult the surviving family members or look for a medical directives. 

I wonder if we will hear of the conflicts with the trauma staff and our stand on blood. Extreme pressure will is placed on these families, totally without warning, so sad.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 minutes ago, Woanders said:

It is 6:48 am here in Germany now. I just woke up to 6 messages on my phone asking if we were ok. Sad news indeed. 🙏

Glad you’re ok. We are farther out but still shaken. My prayers are with the families and friends of all affected. Satan’s cruel world indeed.