JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gunman opens fire in German city of Hamburg - Brothers and Sisters Wounded

8 hours ago, Midwest-US said:

How timely the Bible Study is this week on blood.  Unexpected situations where our lives can change in a split second and we are faced with that issue.

I know where this post is coming from, but please approach the matter with a bit more respect, I know a family that's been affected and the issue of blood is the last thing on their minds. First and foremost is the spiritual and emotional support they need, so perhaps your post should have been how timely our midweek meeting was in regards our organization's response to emergencies and disasters.  Remember the video about natural disasters? That was far more timely in this situation. Please pray for our dear hurt brothers and sisters. ❤️

11 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

The 8 toll is already counting the unborn baby as a victim

I wouldn't be surprised if we get a change to close all kingdom halls and have a video door bell on the entrance

This is a rare occurrence.  We wouldn’t want to look unwelcoming by having no windows/glass doors or having other super high security measures. I’m sure the brothers will reiterate the security measures we already use and evaluate calmly any needed changes. 

Edited by BLEmom

Clarification

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

48 minutes ago, Parale said:

From the UK's Guardian:

Hamburg police were tipped off about gunman, but did not take his weapon

10 March 2023 - Guardian, UK

Police in Hamburg received an anonymous tipoff two months ago about the gunman who went on to kill seven people in a Jehovah’s Witness hall, but he had persuaded them not to take away his gun.

A letter was received in January raising concerns about the mental health of Philipp F, 35, and his purchase of ammunition, but officers found no reason for concern when they visited him last month.

“He is a former member of Jehovah’s Witnesses who left the community voluntarily about a year and a half ago, but apparently not on good terms,” said Thomas Radszuweit, Hamburg’s head of state security.

The suspect had a gun permit as a marksman and was in legal possession of a Heckler & Koch P30 gun.

He was visited in February after the anonymous letter was received that had suggested that the business consultant was suffering from mental ill health.

During a subsequent visit, Philipp F convinced the officers that there was no cause for concern.

Police chief Ralf Martin Meyer told a press conference that there had been no legal grounds to take away the man’s weapon.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/mar/10/hamburg-shooting-police-jehovahs-witness-germany

This happens way too much. Even here in the US, so many times the authorities are alerted to the person just for them to go on and commit mass murder later on. SMH

In a way I am relieved it was an EX-JW In a way) as it makes it an isolated event... otherwise we could be scared that it would be repeated in other places

And one good thing amidst the disaster is that a police car was passing nearby and inrvened in time. The killer ran to the top floor and killed himself after the police tryed to convince him to surrender

With the ammount of ammonition he had clearly his purpose was to kill everybody

Edited by jayrtom

Just four minutes later, the first emergency services were on site - and thus possibly prevented worse, said Senator Grote. At around 9:11 p.m., the forces of the special unit USE gained access to the building and apparently stopped the perpetrator. Philipp F. then fled to the first floor of the building, where, according to the police, he killed himself.

The "support patrol for difficult operational situations" (USE) is still relatively young. Since October 2020, it has been used wherever there is an increased risk potential. On Thursday evening, the late shift of the unit happened to be nearby - the end of the working day was just around the corner when the emergency calls came in, police chief Ralf Martin Meyer reported. The officials are specially trained for amok and terrorist acts. Meyer emphasized that the USE's immediate action saved many lives.

Edited by molnarj

We received spiritual support for the group from the elders. The annual text from 2021 Is 31:15 was quoted.
   We have a lot of talk about this case on TV. I listened to some press conferences. There were 36 people in the room.  Young people died, mostly aged 22 to 35 and 2 over 60. One person in the 7th month of pregnancy.
   The killer was also young and had been out of contact with the congregation for 1.5 years.

Thid a what’s app message from my aunt to me (she lives in the south of Germany ). 

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

15 minutes ago, Michał said:

We received spiritual support for the group from the elders. The annual text from 2021 Is 31:15 was quoted.

I'm sure the sister meant Isaiah 30:15

Yeartext “Your strength will be in keeping calm and showing trust.”—Isaiah 30:15.

16 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

Is 31:15   🤔  can't find it in my bible😉

Year text for 2021: "Your strength will be in keeping calm and showing trust.” -  Isaiah 30:15

The three scriptures used in the official JW.org news statement are:

• "Jehovah will become a secure refuge for the oppressed, a secure refuge in times of distress." - Psalm 9:9
  • "God is our refuge and strength, a help that is readily found in times of distress." - Psalm 46:1
  • "The things that you learned as well as accepted and heard and saw in connection with me, practice these, and the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4:9

The scripture used in the Jehovas Zeugen in Deutschland statement is:

• "Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of tender mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our trials so that we may be able to comfort others in any sort of trial with the comfort that we receive from God." - 2 Corinthians 1: 3, 4

Edited by Parale

18 minutes ago, Bluebell said:

Is 31:15   🤔  can't find it in my bible😉

Good catch. She's over 70 and I usually miss small details…

I saw in NDR news site I posted earlier a video where it can be seen as perpetrator enters the KH through a window. My German is rusty but I think that he broke the window and went through it. Please verify it.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

Just now, Michał said:

I saw in NDR news site I posted earlier a video where it can be seen as perpetrator enters the KH through a window. My German is rusty but I think that he broke the window and went through it. Please verify it.

Yes that’s correct…

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Ps.86:11

58 minutes ago, runner92 said:

This happens way too much. Even here in the US, so many times the authorities are alerted to the person just for them to go on and commit mass murder later on. SMH

Portugal too… women end up dead after a few months 

police does nothing 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

If the reports are true that the murderer had disassociated himself, I wonder if any part of the investigation will dive into the material he was reading on the Internet, or the people he was spending time with. Even with mental or emotional illnesses, he must have built up the hatred somewhere. No wonder Apostle John wrote that “the one who hates his brother is in the darkness and is walking in the darkness, and he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.” (1 John 2:9-11) 😞

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29