JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Recently there’s been much talk on A.I (artificial intelligence) and its impact, or threat, on society. Even now it’s a cause for Writers to picket or protest due to shows and networks no longer needing them. It’s very advanced! So much so that A.I could become smarter-than-human intelligence. Which is alarming! I think that it should be shut-down and dismantle. It could be used to spread false/ fake information and misleading Propaganda! 

38 minutes ago, SKnight said:

Recently there’s been much talk on A.I (artificial intelligence) and its impact, or threat, on society. Even now it’s a cause for Writers to picket or protest due to shows and networks no longer needing them. It’s very advanced! So much so that A.I could become smarter-than-human intelligence. Which is alarming! I think that it should be shut-down and dismantle. It could be used to spread false/ fake information and misleading Propaganda! 

Well we can expect that to happen, talking of fake information or misleading propaganda. Think of Rev 16:14, this propaganda is "inspired by demons", so we can certainly imagine Satan using every tool at his disposal.

6 hours ago, SKnight said:

It could be used to spread false/ fake information and misleading Propaganda!

That's already happening, way before AI was released.  Besides, if anyone takes the time to read the info bubbles that most of them provide, you'll see "incorrect info" is a warning.

image.png.5568df3778f23db6ae6fbcc7f7f7271c.png

Ahh...but who reads the instructions?  :whistling:

44 minutes ago, Parale said:

Front page news last week in the UK.....

image.png.b83c049a3a6173f37a00e51fbfc0fade.png

With a nod to the British Monty Python's Life of Brian

I don't recommend reading the book but back in the 60's there was a sci-fi book called "I have no mouth and I must scream" about an AI that was created to end world war and then got angry and destroyed mankind. It was a pretty scary thought 60 years ago.

Of course there is the movie I,Robot with slap happy Will Smith.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I don't recommend reading the book but back in the 60's there was a sci-fi book called "I have no mouth and I must scream" about an AI that was created to end world war and then got angry and destroyed mankind. It was a pretty scary thought 60 years ago.

Of course there is the movie I,Robot with slap happy Will Smith.

Slap happy indeed. 

Anybody remember watching Gene Rodenberry's "The Questor Tapes" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Questor_Tapes

Spoiler

Plot

Project Questor is the brainchild of the genius Emil Vaslovik, Ph.D., a Nobel laureate. Vaslovik had developed plans to build a superhuman android. A team of the world's foremost experts is able to build the android even though they do not understand the components with which they are working — they are only able to follow the instructions and install the parts left by Vaslovik, who has disappeared. Attempts to decode the programming tape were worse than merely unsuccessful—they also erased approximately half of the tape's contents. They decide to substitute their own programming, over the objections of Jerry Robinson (Mike Farrell), the only team member who had actually worked with Dr. Vaslovik. He is overruled by the head of the project, Geoffrey Darrow (John Vernon). When the android's body has been finished, the new tape is loaded, but with no apparent results. In desperation, Robinson persuades Darrow to allow Vaslovik's tape — what remains of it — to be loaded. Again, the team is disappointed, as there appears to be no response.

Once left alone, the android comes to life. It adds various cosmetic touches to a previously featureless outer skin, transforming itself from an "it" to a "him", and he (Robert Foxworth) then leaves the laboratory to visit Vaslovik's office and archives; it is there that he first identifies himself as "part of Project Questor". The android then seeks out Robinson, whom he forces to accompany him in a search for Vaslovik, with Darrow in pursuit of both, following a minuscule datum in his original programming.

Questor (who becomes more "human" as the story progresses) only knows that it has something to do with an "aquatic vehicle" — a boat — and that if he does not find Vaslovik before the end of a countdown, the nuclear generator in his abdomen will overload and explode. Vaslovik had programmed this into him to prevent his creation from being misused, and time is running out. The pair, traveling to England, escape from custody and travel to the home of Lady Helena Trimble (Dana Wynter), who had known and worked with Vaslovik. (Her name was an homage to Bjo Trimble, who had led the fan campaign to keep Star Trek on the air.) After Robinson refuses Questor's naïve suggestion that the scientist seduce Lady Helena as a way to get information, Questor announces that he will make the attempt, adding, "I am fully functional."

Just as Questor deciphers the clues and tells Robinson that he knows where Vaslovik is, he is machine gunned by a British soldier in a park, whereupon he returned to the laboratory. Robinson repairs Questor, and Darrow gives him two options: If Robinson puts a homing transmitter inside the android, they will be given a plane to go find Vaslovik, but if Robinson refuses, the android will simply be flown to a safe location where the explosion will not endanger anyone. Robinson implants the beacon, and they jet off to Mount Ararat; the "boat" imperative, as Questor had realized just minutes before being shot, had referred to Noah's Ark.

Robinson and Questor reach a cave concealed inside Mount Ararat with seconds to spare. Questor's timer is made safe, and he has found Emil Vaslovik (Lew Ayres), who tells Questor and Robinson that he, too, is an android. Questor is the last of a series, going back to "the dawn of this world," left there by "Masters" to serve and protect mankind. They functioned by a law which Vaslovik quotes to Questor:

"We protect, but we do not interfere. Man must make his own way. We guide him — but always without his knowledge."[4]

Each of the Masters' previous androids had a lifespan of several hundred years, at the end of which each assembled its replacement. The unexpected, rapid advent of nuclear physics and the radioactive fallout from above-ground nuclear testing had damaged Vaslovik. Questor's design corrected these failures, and finally Vaslovik is able to die in peace, after asking Robinson to help Questor learn about humanity.

Darrow, having followed the pair, has heard enough to know how important it is that Questor be allowed to fulfill his mission. Unfortunately, he has brought the military with him to destroy the android. The cynical Darrow believes that this is proof that humanity does not deserve Questor's help. Questor convinces him otherwise.

Deciding to sacrifice his own life for Questor's sake, Darrow takes the transmitter and leaves, telling the military commander that not only had Vaslovik gone insane, but also that the android has escaped, and to send in jet fighters when the beacon signal is picked up. He then takes off in the jet that Questor and Robinson had used, turning on the transmitter as he goes so that they will think that the android is aboard.

Robinson and Questor, now outside the cave, look up into the sky. Robinson tells Questor that he cannot see anything, to which the android replies, "I wish that I could not." This is notably his first verbal expression of emotion, Questor's first visual expression of emotion had occurred when his timer had been made safe; he had then regarded Robinson with a smile. The plane is then destroyed, killing Darrow.

Questor and Robinson begin their mission together.

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

12 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Anybody remember watching Gene Rodenberry's "The Questor Tapes" ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Questor_Tapes

Reveal hidden contents

Plot

Project Questor is the brainchild of the genius Emil Vaslovik, Ph.D., a Nobel laureate. Vaslovik had developed plans to build a superhuman android. A team of the world's foremost experts is able to build the android even though they do not understand the components with which they are working — they are only able to follow the instructions and install the parts left by Vaslovik, who has disappeared. Attempts to decode the programming tape were worse than merely unsuccessful—they also erased approximately half of the tape's contents. They decide to substitute their own programming, over the objections of Jerry Robinson (Mike Farrell), the only team member who had actually worked with Dr. Vaslovik. He is overruled by the head of the project, Geoffrey Darrow (John Vernon). When the android's body has been finished, the new tape is loaded, but with no apparent results. In desperation, Robinson persuades Darrow to allow Vaslovik's tape — what remains of it — to be loaded. Again, the team is disappointed, as there appears to be no response.

Once left alone, the android comes to life. It adds various cosmetic touches to a previously featureless outer skin, transforming itself from an "it" to a "him", and he (Robert Foxworth) then leaves the laboratory to visit Vaslovik's office and archives; it is there that he first identifies himself as "part of Project Questor". The android then seeks out Robinson, whom he forces to accompany him in a search for Vaslovik, with Darrow in pursuit of both, following a minuscule datum in his original programming.

Questor (who becomes more "human" as the story progresses) only knows that it has something to do with an "aquatic vehicle" — a boat — and that if he does not find Vaslovik before the end of a countdown, the nuclear generator in his abdomen will overload and explode. Vaslovik had programmed this into him to prevent his creation from being misused, and time is running out. The pair, traveling to England, escape from custody and travel to the home of Lady Helena Trimble (Dana Wynter), who had known and worked with Vaslovik. (Her name was an homage to Bjo Trimble, who had led the fan campaign to keep Star Trek on the air.) After Robinson refuses Questor's naïve suggestion that the scientist seduce Lady Helena as a way to get information, Questor announces that he will make the attempt, adding, "I am fully functional."

Just as Questor deciphers the clues and tells Robinson that he knows where Vaslovik is, he is machine gunned by a British soldier in a park, whereupon he returned to the laboratory. Robinson repairs Questor, and Darrow gives him two options: If Robinson puts a homing transmitter inside the android, they will be given a plane to go find Vaslovik, but if Robinson refuses, the android will simply be flown to a safe location where the explosion will not endanger anyone. Robinson implants the beacon, and they jet off to Mount Ararat; the "boat" imperative, as Questor had realized just minutes before being shot, had referred to Noah's Ark.

Robinson and Questor reach a cave concealed inside Mount Ararat with seconds to spare. Questor's timer is made safe, and he has found Emil Vaslovik (Lew Ayres), who tells Questor and Robinson that he, too, is an android. Questor is the last of a series, going back to "the dawn of this world," left there by "Masters" to serve and protect mankind. They functioned by a law which Vaslovik quotes to Questor:

"We protect, but we do not interfere. Man must make his own way. We guide him — but always without his knowledge."[4]

Each of the Masters' previous androids had a lifespan of several hundred years, at the end of which each assembled its replacement. The unexpected, rapid advent of nuclear physics and the radioactive fallout from above-ground nuclear testing had damaged Vaslovik. Questor's design corrected these failures, and finally Vaslovik is able to die in peace, after asking Robinson to help Questor learn about humanity.

Darrow, having followed the pair, has heard enough to know how important it is that Questor be allowed to fulfill his mission. Unfortunately, he has brought the military with him to destroy the android. The cynical Darrow believes that this is proof that humanity does not deserve Questor's help. Questor convinces him otherwise.

Deciding to sacrifice his own life for Questor's sake, Darrow takes the transmitter and leaves, telling the military commander that not only had Vaslovik gone insane, but also that the android has escaped, and to send in jet fighters when the beacon signal is picked up. He then takes off in the jet that Questor and Robinson had used, turning on the transmitter as he goes so that they will think that the android is aboard.

Robinson and Questor, now outside the cave, look up into the sky. Robinson tells Questor that he cannot see anything, to which the android replies, "I wish that I could not." This is notably his first verbal expression of emotion, Questor's first visual expression of emotion had occurred when his timer had been made safe; he had then regarded Robinson with a smile. The plane is then destroyed, killing Darrow.

Questor and Robinson begin their mission together.

I don't remember that one. 

Dance. Even if there's no music. 

Dance Dancing GIF by binibambini

I hear this AI business, and I think, “Come Lord Jesus, come”, and let your kingdom wash it all away.

(OT, my son told me we couldn’t buy the car we bought. (An Outback) That a friend of his had it, and it drove up the coast, with him using the AI on that vehicle.) I see this little steering wheel icon hanging out on the steering column. I have my suspicions!) 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

"I, Robot" was a very good movie, 50 years after it was a very good book.  I vaguely remember "The Questor Tapes," but couldn't possibly tell you much about it.

AI is just like a lot of other technology.  It can be used for good or bad.  Radio waves can be used for educational purposes on radio or television signals, but they can also be used for bad use.  The internet can be used to disseminate a lot of information, some of which you do not want to see or allow your children to see.  AI can be used for bad or good.  The main thing is that it needs to be controlled in a proper way.

47 minutes ago, Witness1970 said:

The main thing is that it needs to be controlled in a proper way.

before it takes over the world...

The World GIF

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

We already do that now ... it is called having a baby!

My wife and I have created four of them - all daughters serving Jehovah

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

53 minutes ago, Dages said:

These stuff about AI and technology makes me wonder about the level we could reach with eternal life, God willing.

OTOH, depending on how closely we are able to work with the spirit creatures, we already have a Living Intelligence that we can use.

19 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

On the other hand.....there's more fingers.

Although, due to a mistake while using a jointer/planer - my Dad had less fingers on the other hand.

Now, I guess we should go back to the subject of supporting a male goose

Spoiler

Propagander

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

On 5/9/2023 at 9:57 AM, SKnight said:

I think the issues with AI have been greatly exaggerated by the media just to stir the public.

Artificial intelligent is not evil or anything. It's just a tool. You program it to do anything you want. When the media says AI can become smarter than humans that's a mischaracterization. AI is designed to process huge amounts of data and find patterns, and it does it very well. Much better than a human ever could. But that doesn't mean it has creativity or ethics or any other aspects that define human intelligence. Computers can do math operations millions of times faster than a human. Cars can travel much faster than humans. Planes can fly. But no one thinks computers or cars or planes are superior than humans. They are just tools we use.

Can artificial intelligence be used to spread misinformation? Sure! And so do internet, newspapers, telephones, pen and paper. Satan even used a snake. But when employed correctly all those tools are useful and good. Well, maybe not snakes. :lol:

45 minutes ago, carlos said:

I think the issues with AI have been greatly exaggerated by the media just to stir the public.

Artificial intelligent is not evil or anything. It's just a tool. You program it to do anything you want. When the media says AI can become smarter than humans that's a mischaracterization. AI is designed to process huge amounts of data and find patterns, and it does it very well. Much better than a human ever could. But that doesn't mean it has creativity or ethics or any other aspects that define human intelligence. Computers can do math operations millions of times faster than a human. Cars can travel much faster than humans. Planes can fly. But no one thinks computers or cars or planes are superior than humans. They are just tools we use.

Can artificial intelligence be used to spread misinformation? Sure! And so do internet, newspapers, telephones, pen and paper. Satan even used a snake. But when employed correctly all those tools are useful and good. Well, maybe not snakes. :lol:

Finally, someone who shares my feeling about snakes!