JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Root Canals & blood work

Ok...Mr. Scientist here.  Need some help collecting data so I can determine the truth about root canals.

So I recently learned that root canals are very susceptible to cavitations.  HOWEVER, I just went to my dentist yesterday and they said 9/10 times they can see infections in X-Rays.  So this isn't a big concern...

image.thumb.png.85fbf6f7e8ac31a6d088e9fbd03477db.png

HOWEVER....what if there is an infection that isn't visible?  9/10 only accounts for what is known.  Not what was unknown.  Science is fun....but can hurt your head.  :wacko:

Ok so here's my poll for those that are willing & able to share:

If you have a root canal, you can participate.  Otherwise, please just be an observer.

What I would like from those with a root canal is to see your blood work numbers for these items:

Neutrophils

Lymphocytes

Monocytes

These are different types of your immune system.  If any are above a range and you are NOT "sick", then it can indicate a hidden infection.  Which could be due to the root canal.

In addition to your bloodwork numbers for these items, please also indicate if you get X-rays for your teeth regularly & if they appear normal or not.

I also need to know approximately when was your root canal & when was your bloodwork?

Thanks in advance for indulging my scientific mind....  :wave:

Edited by computerwiz

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

All I’ve heard is after a root canal about a year later the tooth ends up being pulled. 🤦‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️For whatever reason.

27 minutes ago, angellionel said:

I heard this too from my dental hygienist.

Regarding root canals: "A dentist is the only physician that believes he can leave dead tissue in the body without any consequences" -Dr. Jerry Tennant

Now I'm wondering if my dental hygienist just conveniently left out that information (that the tooth usually gets pulled later).  Which I'm sure the reason for that would be infection, as indicated in my screenshot.

But I'm still curious for those with one if they can & are willing to respond to my questions.  I'd like to determine the truth in this as much as possible, because root canals are very very common.  And if it indeed gets infected, and indeed shuts down 63% of your immune system, that's some MAJOR information that people need to know about...  

I have a couple root canals and have had them for many years. I couldn't say exactly, one of them when I was maybe in my twenties and the other seven or eight years ago. Both are healthy and well. :) My immune system seems to be ok, I very rarely catch a flu or a cold.

I had a bloodtest three months ago. These are my results, although I don't know what they mean or why neutrophils appear three times with different values. The doctor didn't give any importance to this part of the analysis:

Value

Normal range

Neutrophils

Neutrophils

37-72

Neutrophils

Lymphocytes

20-52

Monocytes

3-10

3 minutes ago, carlos said:

I have a couple root canals and have had them for many years. I couldn't say exactly, one of them when I was maybe in my twenties and the other seven or eight years ago. Both are healthy and well. :) My immune system seems to be ok, I very rarely catch a flu or a cold.

I had a bloodtest three months ago. These are my results, although I don't know what they mean or why neutrophils appear three times with different values. The doctor didn't give any importance to this part of the analysis:

Value

Normal range

Neutrophils

Neutrophils

37-72

Neutrophils

Lymphocytes

20-52

Monocytes

3-10

Not sure why they are there 3 times as well.  But yeah, everything looks to be in normal range.  I suppose it matters how well your dentist does his job, and how well you take care of your teeth.  Do you use Listerine with alcohol much?  Or even the one without?

A doctor should give importance to all bloodwork, but that's another conversation.  Those numbers can tell you some specifics about what you have going on:

image.png.151be843dabb44fe801fc3dc93f768c1.png

4 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Do you use Listerine with alcohol much?  Or even the one without?

I don't use Listerine. I use a Spanish branch of toothpaste similar to Colgate.

4 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

A doctor should give importance to all bloodwork, but that's another conversation. 

That's true. This analysis was made for a specific reason, so I guess that's why those values, apparently being within normal ranges, didn't catch her attention. :)

I had a quadruple root canal in a molar about 45-47 years ago ... not sure of the exact date. I still have the tooth and have not had any problems from the root canal.

I have bloodwork done every three months in keeping with my insurance and Dr. office. I don't know the numbers except that they indicate I am not diabetic, my kidneys and liver are fine and my PSA is nearly zero. My PSA is closely monitored since I am a prostate cancer survivor.

Now that I am in my 70's, I am having some problems with my teeth but that is the result of something rather unique that I have had to deal with for most of my life.

Hope this helps

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

I had a quadruple root canal in a molar about 45-47 years ago ... not sure of the exact date. I still have the tooth and have not had any problems from the root canal.

I have bloodwork done every three months in keeping with my insurance and Dr. office. I don't know the numbers except that they indicate I am not diabetic, my kidneys and liver are fine and my PSA is nearly zero. My PSA is closely monitored since I am a prostate cancer survivor.

Now that I am in my 70's, I am having some problems with my teeth but that is the result of something rather unique that I have had to deal with for most of my life.

Hope this helps

Yes it does, actually.  Because one of my next questions, in a new topic later, will be about cancer & root canals.  And what you just said adds to the evidence of what Dr. Tennant says...

He said 95% of cancer patients have either a root canal OR a pulled tooth that the dentist was lazy & didn't remove the periodontal ligament.  Now that could be a coincidence due to the high number of root canals out there.  But it stands to reason that if they do indeed shut down 63% of the immune system, that the immune system would be busy keeping that infection at bay instead of fighting cancer.  So...from a scientific perspective, it makes sense to first determine if infections are indeed common, and if a person does indeed have more sickness about a year after having a root canal.

But again, due to the number of root canals out there, it's hard to tell if the cancer/teeth connection is true...  So far, you included, would make 4 out of 4 connections between cancer & root canals.  👀

1 hour ago, carlos said:

This analysis was made for a specific reason, so I guess that's why those values, apparently being within normal ranges, didn't catch her attention. :)

Hopefully so.  But in the case of my doctor, my monocytes were high for years, and he never mentioned anything about them...  Now after Dr. Kevin's treatments, they are down to normal levels.

41 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Now that could be a coincidence due to the high number of root canals out there.  But it stands to reason that if they do indeed shut down 63% of the immune system, that the immune system would be busy keeping that infection at bay instead of fighting cancer.

We have an intersection near us the crosses a major US highway. The US highway is heavily traveled by diesel powered semi-trucks. The other road is mostly used by gasoline powered passenger cars and pickup trucks. There were a number of fatal accidents at this intersection before they built an overpass a few years back.

The thing is most of the people killed in those accidents were in the vehicles that ran on gasoline while most of the people in the diesel trucks lived. SO, would that not prove that driving a gasoline powered vehicle causes more deaths than driving a diesel powered vehicle?

Of course, the 2,000 to 4,000 pound car slowly moving through the intersection being hit by an 80,000 pound truck traveling 70 mph couldn't possibly been a factor :eek:

So, yes, it could be a coincidence that people who have had dental work and later got cancer - since, in places like the US, dental work is quite common just like gasoline powered cars is quite common.

For much of my life I have worked and/or played outside - and I live in a very sunny state (Florida), yet I have never had skin cancer. I worked for many years around various chemicals and even around people who smoked - yet I never got lung cancer. What I did get is a cancer common to men so I would think my cancer had more to do with me being male and having a prostate gland than any dental work I had done 50 years ago.

Just like the fatal accidents at the intersection near us really had less to do with the type of fuel the various vehicles used and more with how the people drove and the weight and speed of the various vehicles - the fact is, most of the deaths resulted in gasoline powered vehicles ... so one could argue that the fuel was the cause ... after all, the statistics back up the premise :shrugs:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

4 minutes ago, Qapla said:

We have an intersection near us the crosses a major US highway. The US highway is heavily traveled by diesel powered semi-trucks. The other road is mostly used by gasoline powered passenger cars and pickup trucks. There were a number of fatal accidents at this intersection before they built an overpass a few years back.

The thing is most of the people killed in those accidents were in the vehicles that ran on gasoline while most of the people in the diesel trucks lived. SO, would that not prove that driving a gasoline powered vehicle causes more deaths than driving a diesel powered vehicle?

Of course, the 2,000 to 4,000 pound car slowly moving through the intersection being hit by an 80,000 pound truck traveling 70 mph couldn't possibly been a factor :eek:

So, yes, it could be a coincidence that people who have had dental work and later got cancer - since, in places like the US, dental work is quite common just like gasoline powered cars is quite common.

For much of my life I have worked and/or played outside - and I live in a very sunny state (Florida), yet I have never had skin cancer. I worked for many years around various chemicals and even around people who smoked - yet I never got lung cancer. What I did get is a cancer common to men so I would think my cancer had more to do with me being male and having a prostate gland than any dental work I had done 50 years ago.

Just like the fatal accidents at the intersection near us really had less to do with the type of fuel the various vehicles used and more with how the people drove and the weight and speed of the various vehicles - the fact is, most of the deaths resulted in gasoline powered vehicles ... so one could argue that the fuel was the cause ... after all, the statistics back up the premise :shrugs:

Exactly why thorough research is needed.  Correlation does not necessarily = causation.  And exactly why I'm not just running around saying "don't get root canals".  :lol1:

It's a fascinating theory.  But just a theory...one that might never get proven.  It makes sense though...IF it gets infected.  First thing to determine is how often that actually happens...

1 hour ago, computerwiz said:

But again, due to the number of root canals out there, it's hard to tell if the cancer/teeth connection is true...  So far, you included, would make 4 out of 4 connections between cancer & root canals.  👀

If it's of any help, I have never had cancer so far (and hope to stay that way). :)

I had root canal when I was in my 30's, and about a year later I had to get my tooth pulled out.  The reason is money. I couldn’t afford to have the capping done. The temporary one cracked within a year, so the only option I had was an extraction.

Since then I’ve learnt my lesson and never let a filling get to the point of having a root canal. I see the dentist every 6 months for a checkup. My last one was last week, and he said my gums were doing very well for my age, more like someone’s in their thirties! No fillings on the horizon. 

4 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Hopefully so.  But in the case of my doctor, my monocytes were high for years, and he never mentioned anything about them...  Now after Dr. Kevin's treatments, they are down to normal levels.

Is Dr. Kevin on YouTube..does he have a first name? I couldn't find him with just Kevin. 🙂

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

5 minutes ago, Dove said:

Is Dr. Kevin on YouTube..does he have a first name? I couldn't find him with just Kevin. 🙂

Yes. Start with this video before looking at any of his specific ones. Because for most of them he kind of repeats himself. But this covers just about everything.  

The specialized videos help you to see how the concept of "energetic debt" fits in with the specific disease. 

I wouldn't be so confident in the concept if it hadn't been proven 6 times in the congregation. Anyone who can afford him (or at least enough to follow the ideas he presents) is finding much relief... 

10 minutes ago, computerwiz said:

Yes. Start with this video before looking at any of his specific ones. Because for most of them he kind of repeats himself. But this covers just about everything.  

The specialized videos help you to see how the concept of "energetic debt" fits in with the specific disease. 

I wouldn't be so confident in the concept if it hadn't been proven 6 times in the congregation. Anyone who can afford him (or at least enough to follow the ideas he presents) is finding much relief... 

I thought you could give me his full name. There are several Dr. Kevin’s.

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Hi,

Sorry if this is too long a post, I have a weird double perspective to bring.

I was a dental nurse for 10 years. During that time I assisted in many root canal therapies and treated many patients who had root filled teeth.

Yes, lots of root canal therapies failed, resulting in the tooth being pulled, it was explained to all patients that the root canal therapy was the last effort to 'try to save' the tooth, but that saving the tooth was in no way guaranteed.

Many didn't fail though, and it was super common to see patients with root filled teeth in their mouth for many decades.

Root canal therapies have to be done very well in order to be successful. I worked with around 25 different dentists over my 10 years nursing. There are only 2 out of the 25 that I would even consider letting carry out an RCT on me or a loved one, and even then I wouldn't let them near a tooth with multiple roots or twisted or mis-shapen root canals. Getting right to the apex of the root, cleaning it well, prepping the canal, treating and neutralising it, and then correctly filling it it a massive task. If its not done correctly it will fester. Remember all dead meat rots.

Sometimes the body carries out its own 'root canal therapy'. It wasn't uncommon at all, when opening up a tooth, to find that the root canal of a dead tooth had sclerosed- filled in with hard material - all on its own. The tooth was in tact and causing no problems. So a dead tooth being in you isn't necessarily the issue.

I actually have no fillings of any kind at all though so I can't partake in your survey.

Since being a dental nurse I have completely changed my view on all things medical. I now believe that putting any chemical in your body (even in a tooth) will have some knock on effect on your overall system. What that effect is though, depends hugely on your existing health status.

I think of it like this:

Imagine an iceberg with loads of things frozen in to it. It is floating in the water and the water level determines if you can see the items frozen in the iceberg or not.

The iceberg represents our inherited predisposition to health issues. We all have different junk frozen into our iceberg - migraines, chance of cancer, mental health issues etc - if we top our our water level well then these issues slip below the surface and we don't show the symptoms of them. If we allow our water levels to drop then our issues poke out the water and we start suffering symptoms.

The water level is our health status. You top up your water level through active health choices, eating well, exercise, looking after your mental health, reducing stress, looking after yourself spiritually etc

My husband and I have lived my life by this methodology for 20 years. By raising our water levels we have seen many chronic symptoms disappear. I used to regularly suffer debilitating migraines. I haven't had one in 18 years. My husband used to take steroids every day for severe asthma (since he was a baby), he hasn't taken them now for 15 years as he hasn't suffered with any regular asthma symptoms....except...

When he had a root canal therapy on one of his front teeth about 5 years ago. The tooth had suffered trauma and had died. To save it they recommended an RCT. We agonised over it but as it was right at the front on the top arch, a canine, which are often referred to as 'the cornerstones of the mouth' he agreed.

His health took s drastic dip for about 6 months. His asthma returned and struggled with an exacerbation of other health symptoms that he had previously conquered.

We worked hard in his 'water level' and now he's all good.

My point is this - what if he had worse stuff frozen in his iceberg? What if his water level was already low and the most hideous things were close to being revealed? What would have shown up in the post RCT health dip?

That being said loads of things completely out of our control can 'drop our water levels' - death of a loved one, accidents, living near pollution etc so we can't always control it. It is sensible to control what we can though :)

PS:

Just to show you how completely I have altered my perspective I no longer brush and floss my teeth the traditional way, instead I oil pull. 

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/conditions/dental-health/treatments-2/oil-pulling-benefits/

Zero fillings and better periodontal health than I've ever had in my life.

Only negative is that I am viewed as a weirdo by many people! 

Not too fussed by that side effect though 🤣

8 hours ago, Frances Bennett said:

Hi,

Sorry if this is too long a post, I have a weird double perspective to bring.

I was a dental nurse for 10 years. During that time I assisted in many root canal therapies and treated many patients who had root filled teeth.

Yes, lots of root canal therapies failed, resulting in the tooth being pulled, it was explained to all patients that the root canal therapy was the last effort to 'try to save' the tooth, but that saving the tooth was in no way guaranteed.

Many didn't fail though, and it was super common to see patients with root filled teeth in their mouth for many decades.

Root canal therapies have to be done very well in order to be successful. I worked with around 25 different dentists over my 10 years nursing. There are only 2 out of the 25 that I would even consider letting carry out an RCT on me or a loved one, and even then I wouldn't let them near a tooth with multiple roots or twisted or mis-shapen root canals. Getting right to the apex of the root, cleaning it well, prepping the canal, treating and neutralising it, and then correctly filling it it a massive task. If its not done correctly it will fester. Remember all dead meat rots.

Sometimes the body carries out its own 'root canal therapy'. It wasn't uncommon at all, when opening up a tooth, to find that the root canal of a dead tooth had sclerosed- filled in with hard material - all on its own. The tooth was in tact and causing no problems. So a dead tooth being in you isn't necessarily the issue.

I actually have no fillings of any kind at all though so I can't partake in your survey.

Since being a dental nurse I have completely changed my view on all things medical. I now believe that putting any chemical in your body (even in a tooth) will have some knock on effect on your overall system. What that effect is though, depends hugely on your existing health status.

I think of it like this:

Imagine an iceberg with loads of things frozen in to it. It is floating in the water and the water level determines if you can see the items frozen in the iceberg or not.

The iceberg represents our inherited predisposition to health issues. We all have different junk frozen into our iceberg - migraines, chance of cancer, mental health issues etc - if we top our our water level well then these issues slip below the surface and we don't show the symptoms of them. If we allow our water levels to drop then our issues poke out the water and we start suffering symptoms.

The water level is our health status. You top up your water level through active health choices, eating well, exercise, looking after your mental health, reducing stress, looking after yourself spiritually etc

My husband and I have lived my life by this methodology for 20 years. By raising our water levels we have seen many chronic symptoms disappear. I used to regularly suffer debilitating migraines. I haven't had one in 18 years. My husband used to take steroids every day for severe asthma (since he was a baby), he hasn't taken them now for 15 years as he hasn't suffered with any regular asthma symptoms....except...

When he had a root canal therapy on one of his front teeth about 5 years ago. The tooth had suffered trauma and had died. To save it they recommended an RCT. We agonised over it but as it was right at the front on the top arch, a canine, which are often referred to as 'the cornerstones of the mouth' he agreed.

His health took s drastic dip for about 6 months. His asthma returned and struggled with an exacerbation of other health symptoms that he had previously conquered.

We worked hard in his 'water level' and now he's all good.

My point is this - what if he had worse stuff frozen in his iceberg? What if his water level was already low and the most hideous things were close to being revealed? What would have shown up in the post RCT health dip?

That being said loads of things completely out of our control can 'drop our water levels' - death of a loved one, accidents, living near pollution etc so we can't always control it. It is sensible to control what we can though :)

I appreciate long posts!  No worries there.  :thumbsup:

You have a very unique and valuable perspective.  And I believe it demonstrates a common fallacy: Many doctors/scientists present things (like "root canals are evil") as a fact.  But in reality, if done correctly, they're not bad.  Kind of like @Qapla said in his illustration.  And from what you said, the real problem is that they are often done wrong.  And this was the missing piece of information that you (and others) provided.

Is that an accurate conclusion from what you said?  That most dentists don't do them right?

Which begs a new question: how often are they done correctly, but end up infected years down the line? 

And since you have such vast experience in the dental industry, what do you think about what Dr. Tennant says about pulling teeth & leaving the periodontal ligament behind being just as bad at getting infected as a root canal?  Have you notice anything regarding that?

image.thumb.png.f5f07b5e41df6c9ca254afd6d36bfe4a.png

Last but not least, your iceberg illustration fits in quite nicely with the concept of "healing is voltage".  That is what Dr. Kevin (my doc) and Dr. Tennant promote.  And it is clearly an accurate concept.  Your body is ultimately an electronic device.  And if you don't have enough voltage, things start working less right.  Eventually, enough so that disease sets in.  Like having bills & a bank account....you have to have more money coming in than going out.  Otherwise your body will have to decide which "bills" to pay.

Exercise, healthy eating, avoiding toxins, etc. all help to increase voltage so your body can function normally.  I sleep on a grounding mat and have used a multi-meter to see the charge I get from it.  But it appears that we never fully charge...since I still get the same reading in the morning after I wake up.  I think that's where Jehovah comes in.  In order for us to have perfect health & live forever, we need an extra charge from Him.  But I digress.... :whistling:

8 hours ago, Frances Bennett said:

PS:

Just to show you how completely I have altered my perspective I no longer brush and floss my teeth the traditional way, instead I oil pull. 

https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/the-health-hub/conditions/dental-health/treatments-2/oil-pulling-benefits/

Zero fillings and better periodontal health than I've ever had in my life.

Only negative is that I am viewed as a weirdo by many people! 

Not too fussed by that side effect though 🤣

I have not had a single cavity as an adult...and I'm 35.  I've recently (about a month ago) switch to a fluoride-free toothpaste, which also does not have titanium dioxide.  Trying to reduce my chemical exposure.  So I guess we'll see if I get a cavity in about a year.  I'm a good candidate to experiment with that.  :sweat:

But thanks!  I'll keep this handy in case I do have something develop.  This might be my next experiment....  🤔

However, if Dr. Tennant is correct, he claims that teeth can take care of themselves (they have a self-cleaning mechanism) as long as the voltage doesn't drop enough to cause this pump to shut down.

image.thumb.png.91803e0f841deef644e02bca34e10e50.png

image.thumb.png.7e048caac00d8f19d28b415cf5f6203d.png

Which explains why outside animals can get away without brushing their teeth & using fluoride, etc etc.  They're getting enough voltage from being grounded all the time, and so this cleansing pump works for them.  There are things, such as injuries, that can disrupt the voltage pathway to one or more teeth, which result in the pump not working right.  Dr. Tennant claims that you'll find that kids fall and cut their knees or whatever, and a year later they'll get a cavity.

Very hard to test this kind of theory out, but fascinating to think about...

PS - Don't worry.....I will NEVER test that theory out....I am definitely going to keep brushing my teeth.  They might be fine without it, but I know my breath wouldn't be!!!  :lol:

2 hours ago, computerwiz said:

Is that an accurate conclusion from what you said?  That most dentists don't do them right?

Which begs a new question: how often are they done correctly, but end up infected years down the line? 

Well I think you have to think of it like inviting builders in to your house. Some do a slap dash job, some are meticulous and conscientious...but even the good ones have bad days, unexpected complications and faulty materials.

The quality ranges vastly. They are attempting to save your tooth, it's renovation work. I like to think the majority are trying their best.

That being said I would choose wisely with something that could affect my ongoing health.

And since you have such vast experience in the dental industry

Well I don't know about that. I was only a dental nurse, not a dentist. I am happy to share my observations but I'm not qualified to advise :)

what do you think about what Dr. Tennant says about pulling teeth & leaving the periodontal ligament behind being just as bad at getting infected as a root canal?  Have you notice anything regarding that?

I'm not sure I'm afraid. I've seen some nasty infections after extraction, you have to look after the socket well. It also depends in how well the extraction was carried out, as Dr Tennant says. In my experience though our bodies are wonderfully made and very resilient.

With regards to the rest of your comment I will try to have a read and form an opinion.

I tend to feel expensive doctors with revolutionary treatments are, perhaps offering people hope which is a powerful thing. Other than that I will have to read more.

I do think teeth can take care of themselves in healthy individuals. I think having our bodies in balance is the key...being a healthy colony, with good bacteria thriving. That's achieved by avoiding antibiotics and eating great food that feeds our colony well. That's why animals don't need tooth brushes and fluoride in my opinion :)

They even have fresh breath generally!

58 minutes ago, Frances Bennett said:

you have to look after the socket well

That is true.  And my experience with most people & following directions is....they don't.  Or they do at first, then are half-hearted about it.  Or completely forget.

So many variables!!!!!  No wonder science is always changing...

I feel too that many doctors/scientists, like Dr. Tennant, say "this is how it actually is" just for simplicity's sake.  And for the sake of publishing your results & moving forward.  Which is why I'm not taking what he says as "the truth" or "the whole picture".  Just a neat theory that makes sense & deserves further investigation.  :wink:

58 minutes ago, Frances Bennett said:

I think having our bodies in balance is the key...being a healthy colony, with good bacteria thriving. That's achieved by avoiding antibiotics and eating great food that feeds our colony well.

Yes, absolutely.  The more I dig into stuff, the more I see that whenever man puts his hands on nature, he screws it up.  Might solve one problem but introduces 5 more.  Of course some things are life-savers, like antibiotics.  But then nothing is done afterwards to help restore the balance.  The 10-15 strains from probiotics doesn't replace the 100+ strains we had.  And the probiotics can cause an overgrowth of the wrong "good" bacteria, which can have bad results.  It's better to just make sure your "environment" is friendly to good bacteria & hostile to bad bacteria, and let things balance naturally.  But now we're going into another topic.  You get my point I'm sure:  Pros & cons to man's inventions, and deeper understanding of function & consequences & restoring balance is desperately needed.

1 hour ago, Frances Bennett said:

With regards to the rest of your comment I will try to have a read and form an opinion.

Looking forward to it!  ^_^

I had a root canal once.  When the tooth broke off later, I had forgotten about the root canal.  I went to the same dentist's office.  When he mentioned a root canal, I remembered he was the dentist that had done it a few months earlier.  I wound up finding another dentist who told me the first dentist had done a poor job and should have capped the tooth after the root canal.  I had to go to an oral surgeon to get the tooth removed and wound up with a 3-piece bridge to replace the missing tooth.