JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

War in the Middle East

Not sure if this has been posted yet but there is an update on how the friends are doing:

Armed Conflict Continues in Israel and the Gaza Strip

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/israel/Armed-Conflict-Continues-in-Israel-and-the-Gaza-Strip/

I’m curious if there are any witnesses in Gaza itself? I searched meeting locations on jw.org and there are no congregations listed there, although there are many nearby in Israel.

This makes me want to pray even more for our brothers in Palestinian territories right now...talk about having to trust in Jehovah and have strong faith. Can you imagine having what is happening in Gaza practically on your doorstep in such relative isolation and with no personal status rights?

According to jw.org, there are only 62 Witnesses in the Palestinian territories, and "[a]lthough Jehovah’s Witnesses in the Palestinian Territories have pursued legal registration, the authorities have denied their applications. The Witnesses are able to meet together for worship and share their religious beliefs with their neighbors, but without legal registration they are denied personal status rights." 

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/palestinian-territories/

From here:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/region/palestinian-territories/personal-rights-jehovahs-witnesses/

"Because of the government’s lack of recognition, spouses must file income taxes separately and maintain separate bank accounts. In a medical emergency, one spouse is not recognized as having the right to choose medical treatment for the other. If one spouse dies, the mate and children cannot inherit the assets of the deceased. Families cannot bury their dead loved ones in harmony with their Christian beliefs. They must bury them in an Islamic cemetery in an area set aside for non-Muslims." The government only started issuing birth certificates to children of Witness parents in 2014.

The new article "Who Will Save the Civilians?—What Does the Bible Say?" in the news section writes:

As reported by the United Nations:

1. From October 7 to October 23, 2023, the Gaza-Israel conflict has resulted in more than 6,400 killed and 15,200 injured, most of whom were civilians. In addition, hundreds of thousands have been displaced.

2. As of September 24, 2023, the war between Russia and Ukraine resulted in 9,701 civilians killed and 17,748 injured in Ukraine.

https://www.jw.org/en/library/series/more-topics/who-will-save-the-civilians/

You can see how brutal this war is. In just a few weeks 2/3 of the number of Ukrainian civilians  were killed in the Israeli/Palestinian war, and almost 5/6 of the wounded in Ukraine as well.

Stay Neutral:

It's hard to stay neutral when you read the news, and still we must. We need to pray for the Brothers and sisters there, so that they can stay neutral as well. They are in the midst of everything. We can't take sides, and when you read every bit of news, that becomes very hard. So I tend to read the weekly recaps, and the jw.org news section.

For the rest I just read the headlines. I know if I read more than that, I get angry, sad and it's becoming hard to stay neutral.

jworg1.jpg.fbee44f18d05bd7fd5a2c3c8110f64c6.jpg  "When I am afraid, I put my trust in you."—Ps. 56:3

Survivors of the attack on Israeli's in October share a realistic view of what went down, in contrast to the pro-Palestinian protests going on. Closely resembling how WWII got started.

What in the world, a frightening comparison. 

https://nypost.com/2023/10/27/news/hamas-survivors-speak-out-about-ignorant-pro-palestinian-protests-in-the-us/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=3731360

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

And and now it moves to Muslim regions of Russia….

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67258332

Israel has urged Russia to protect "all its citizens and all Jews" after a large mob, some shouting antisemitic slogans, stormed a Dagestan airport.

Video footage on social media showed an angry crowd running through the airport in Makhachkala, reportedly seeking people arriving from Tel Aviv.

Some of the crowd ran onto the runway and surrounded aircraft there.

Russia's aviation agency said the situation was under control after authorities had arrived on the scene.

This is turning quite awful as Muslims everywhere are protesting, and violent acts are inevitable. It seems so unlikely that we'll get a P&S call out of this latest conflict, now it’s spreading. And yet, it will somehow happen.

But, that’s why we need to stay awake, as things are going to get a lot worse, as the GB have warned. Scary and yet exciting times!

29 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Yes, but, is it binding?

I have read somewhere yesterday, that this one was binding.

Which does not make any difference to Israel, as they said they will not stop until Hamas is 100% defeated.  

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

14 minutes ago, New World Explorer said:

I have read somewhere yesterday, that this one was binding.

Which does not make any difference to Israel, as they said they will not stop until Hamas is 100% defeated.  

I think the only way Israel will stop is if the US puts their foot down and says we won’t provide anymore money or weapons until you do xyz….

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 minute ago, BLEmom said:

I think the only way Israel will stop is if the US puts their foot down and says we won’t provide anymore money or weapons until you do xyz….

Hmmm.... Iran is enemy of USA, and current conflict has roots in Iran, and financial aid it gives to Hamas. 

I think they will allow them to drive out Hamas completely. (just my opinion)

In fact I recon if Hezbollah opens new front, US will actively join fight. (At least with precision strikes) 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

3 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Yes, but, is it binding?

Nope

IMG_8095.jpeg

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Netanyahu has invoked 1 Sam. 15:3 saying God has given Israel full legitimacy to destroy completely the amaleky people (claiming Hamas are modern amalekites).

it’s been discussed on TV in Portugal 

I have never seen mentions to the Bible on the news ever in my life 🤔

This may cause confusion among the public

Out of context people won’t understand the reason Jehovah allowed these wars.

digging a bit here s some food for thought just in case it pops up in the ministry:

*** w10 1/1 p. 14 Why Did God Wage War Against the Canaanites? ***
Does God’s commanding Israel to destroy the Canaanites justify human warfare today? No, for at least three reasons:
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2010006&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=23

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

3 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Netanyahu has invoked 1 Sam. 15:3 saying God has given Israel full legitimacy to destroy completely the amaleky people (claiming Hamas are modern amalekites).

wow. that's not even the first time he's made genocidal comments. This is going to get intense.

I saw a news report yesterday where an Israeli couple were being interviewed. The reporter was trying to make a point that aren’t the children in Gaza innocent?  The couple responded “they”, meaning all in Gaza that are suffering humanitarian issues and the Hamas group, “are the same”. 

It is one thing when you hear politicians saying certain things. It’s so unnerving when you hear the average young couple expressing that. No natural affection. No sympathy. And viewing a whole nation of people the same. We have seen this before and it was chilling what happened as a result. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Today a refugee camp was targeted. 

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2023-10-31/israel-says-strike-on-gaza-refugee-camp-kills-hamas-commander-but-civilians-die-as-well

It really is interesting when you think of the outrage expressed at Russia’s actions in Ukraine when civilians were dying compared to how Israel is behaving. 

The toll of dead, wounded and displaced are so much worse. 

Of course the way things started are completely different. However it’s always interesting how people justify or vilify behaviors depending on their own interests. 

You know this is different than what we have seen in a while just due to the situation at many colleges here in the US. 

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

Today a refugee camp was targeted. 

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2023-10-31/israel-says-strike-on-gaza-refugee-camp-kills-hamas-commander-but-civilians-die-as-well

It really is interesting when you think of the outrage expressed at Russia’s actions in Ukraine when civilians were dying compared to how Israel is behaving. 

The toll of dead, wounded and displaced are so much worse. 

Of course the way things started are completely different. However it’s always interesting how people justify or vilify behaviors depending on their own interests. 

You know this is different than what we have seen in a while just due to the situation at many colleges here in the US. 

I agree with how different this is. It has a completely different feel about it.

That refugee camp that was bombed by Israel in the Northern part of Gaza left a crater in the ground. 

It was all very well telling these people to move to the South, but where were they supposed to go. They are already refugees - in other words, homeless and possessionless. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-middle-east-67278339

Man's inhumanity to his fellow man is reaching a crescendo. 

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

On 10/30/2023 at 7:35 PM, Sofia said:

I have never seen mentions to the Bible on the news ever in my life 🤔

This may cause confusion among the public

Out of context people won’t understand the reason Jehovah allowed these wars.

digging a bit here s some food for thought just in case it pops up in the ministry:

*** w10 1/1 p. 14 Why Did God Wage War Against the Canaanites? ***
Does God’s commanding Israel to destroy the Canaanites justify human warfare today? No, for at least three reasons:
https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=2010006&srctype=wol&srcid=share&par=23

You can see how these kinds of statements could trigger a backlash against false religion.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:35 AM, Sofia said:

Also on some news: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has faced criticism for justifying the killing of Gaza residents during the Israel-Hamas conflict using the 'Amalek' theory, based on a nation mentioned in the Hebrew Bible.

“You must remember what Amalek has done to you, says our Holy Bible"1 Samuel 15:3 ‘Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy  ..all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man an ..infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass’," Netanyahu ..said.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/netanyahu-cites-amalek-theory-to-justify-gaza-killings/articleshow/104802548.cms?from=mdr

Hmm.. I am afraid, this will get uglier and uglier.