JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ok brothers....balding?! How can I cope?

The last couple of years my hair has been thinning, so much so that now it is noticable and those that I work with who are bald have now said that I am making the move to the dark side (bald side).  I am trying Nioxin to help slow the process down but doesn't seem to do anything.

I am 38 and it seems like going bald is the last step to being considered "old".  I know it may sound weird but it actually has me really down about it.  I have always been the type that is concerned about what/how others view my appearance, low self-esteem when it comes to appearance, etc. and balding doesn't help lol!  I still feel like I am in my 20's but feel like I am starting to look old.

Wondering for those brothers on here and have started or gone bald: how do you cope?

The last couple of years my hair has been thinning, so much so that now it is noticable and those that I work with who are bald have now said that I am making the move to the dark side (bald side).  I am trying Nioxin to help slow the process down but doesn't seem to do anything.

I am 38 and it seems like going bald is the last step to being considered "old".  I know it may sound weird but it actually has me really down about it.  I have always been the type that is concerned about what/how others view my appearance, low self-esteem when it comes to appearance, etc. and balding doesn't help lol!  I still feel like I am in my 20's but feel like I am starting to look old.

Wondering for those brothers on here and have started or gone bald: how do you cope?

You don't cope. Yes, I have a bald spot too. For now I'm glad because I warm blooded. If I have all my hair I would be sweating all the time. Millions of men are bald and proud of it too. Will there be bald headed men in the NW? Who knows, and I don't care.Bald spot or not a sister told me last week that there is a lot of sisters looking for a husband where she was at. Oh well.

There may be other factors involved, you have mentioned that you have a high stress job, is that contributing to your hair loss?

Some people that have started low calorie diets have found that hair loss is a side effect, have you looked at your diet to ensure you are getting the proper nutrition?

My wife started using Inositol, I'm not advocating any products or treatments but she feels it helped her.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think the worst thing you can do is try and disguise it, it looks better shaved off. My husband started going bald at 21, initially he used clippers to keep it short all over, now he shaves it with a razor every night when he shaves his face.

I think short all over is a lot less ageing than having a bald spot.

P.s many women find bald men attractive :) my husband looks loads better with head shaved

Aloe vera can help with hair loss. This plant contains 75 nutrients, 18 amino acids and 12 kinds of vitamins. Indians and Native Americans have used aloe vera for centuries to fight hair loss. Aloe vera balances the scalp’s pH and cleans the pores. It can be beneficial for alopecia sufferers because it is a natural anti-inflammatory. Stinging nettles, Chamomile,  and saw palmetto are other hair loss supplements you can try.

cook some red hibiscus flowers, stinging nettle and chamomile on low fire in coconut or sesame oil and let it cool add aloe vera after it has cooled. This oil is then massaged into the hair. These herbs can be taken internally in capsule or tea form and are full of nutrients especially stinging nettle. 

Deep condition twice a month with a mixture of beer, banana and egg or separately. 

• If your hair loss is caused by a deficiency, changing your diet or taking a multi vitamin and mineral supplement might be a helpful  hair loss treatment option.
  • If your hair loss is caused by anemia, you should add plenty of iron-rich food to your diet, such as brazil nuts, broccoli and red meat.
  • Vitamin B6 is important if you are a hair loss sufferer, as are iron and zinc. Protein-rich foods and amino acids can fight hair loss.
  • Low copper levels can cause hair loss but too much copper can be toxic so you should speak to a healthcare professional before taking supplements.
  • Vitamin B5, folic acid, silica, biotin and paraminobenzoic acid are believed to maintain the colour and thickness of the hair.

Jehovah chose a few perfect heads and the rest he covered with hair.  :)  Welcome to the bald is beautiful club.  :)  Never have a dead cell phone again, plug into solar panel.  :)

I just told that one yesterday to a younger brother who moved in a few months ago from Brazil. 

Then you could look at from the Bible's viewpoint.

You are starting to get the "Elisha" look. :surrender:   He was referred to as "You Old Bald head" :wheelchair:

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

You are starting to get the "Elisha" look. :surrender:   He was referred to as "You Old Bald head" :wheelchair:

post-574-0-25554800-1448912651.jpg

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I started losing my hair in my mid twenties by the time I was 30 I just started shaving it. It is amazing how when you are balding people point it out often, but when you shave it all off by choice not many people mention it. if you decide to shave it all off, be prepared for comments from people you know. That doesn't last long and before you know it they forget you ever had hair. 

I don't feel that it is something to cope with, it is just a fact. Some go bald some do not. i would shave it, personally it seems like balding men look older than men with no hair. 

I started losing my hair in my mid twenties by the time I was 30 I just started shaving it. It is amazing how when you are balding people point it out often, but when you shave it all off by choice not many people mention it. if you decide to shave it all off, be prepared for comments from people you know. That doesn't last long and before you know it they forget you ever had hair. 

I don't feel that it is something to cope with, it is just a fact. Some go bald some do not. i would shave it, personally it seems like balding men look older than men with no hair. 

John's topic opener was about noticeably thinning hair, for which there are products. My husband shaved his head when his bald spot got too big (his opinion) and he shaved it all off.. Shaved heads are a very popular style, right now, and do not make men look older or younger . 

I think it also helps if you feel good about your appearance in other ways. For example my husband lost his hair, but he hasn't allowed himself to gain any excess weight, as he doesn't (in his words) want to be fat and bald. Hair loss you don't really have any control over so concentrate on the things you can change.

I think it also helps if you feel good about your appearance in other ways. For example my husband lost his hair, but he hasn't allowed himself to gain any excess weight, as he doesn't (in his words) want to be fat and bald. Hair loss you don't really have any control over so concentrate on the things you can change.

I agree. Since I have a full head of hair, I decided to get fat... :D

Brother, as much as all of us fuss about our looks, it is the kind of person that we are that stands out. That's a fact. We spend a lot of time worrying about our looks, and for the most part, we worry about ourselves. So much that, to be blunt, the rest of the congregation go their merry way. Worrying about themselves!

I am thinking of a young brother maybe in his 30's, 40's, that shaved his head. Don't know why, but I tell you, he had no need to be insecure. At all! He was just the warmest, nicest brother. Period. I would never, ever refer to him as, "the brother that shaved his'head". He and his wife moved.

And if I ever had to be treated for whatever,andhad to lose my hair, I'd shave it. Get some pretty hats and scarves, and that would be that.

We do the best with what we have. With what Jehovah gave us. It is the smile, brother, and that warm giving heart.

Besides, before long, my, um, hair will once again be black, with no bottles involved! All of these imperfections, and the old age thing will just be gone!

If it were me, I'd make the choice to shave it. Not out of embarrassment, but. Because it was my choice. It is all in the motive. And there is a big difference between making it a choice. And, one of doing it because of being self conscious

I started to go white, (not grey, mind you) in my 20's. In my 30's, out came the bottle. Dye.

I had to wait until my husband was comfortable with my hair not being black. (Both of us are Indian) Finally, he said it did not matter. I told him I was having it dyed, (bleached?) blond, and then, let it go natural. He apparently did not pay attention to my words. I Left the house with dyed black hair, and came home with silver-blond hair. I still smile remembering the look on his face.

It's just hair, okay? I do know it is a man thing, but, we ladies have parallel experiences. We laugh, or fret and worry. I choose to laugh. It is just a temporary situation!

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!