JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Hi Abigail,

I'm not a moderator here, but I was just writing a Private Message to another member here who is also a limited access user to encourage her to post more. If you were a full access member you wouldn't need to wait to get your posts approved, and (as already mentioned) it would open your access to all the forums. You have to post more comments for that to happen. Perhaps you have an idea for a comment in the weekly Watchtower Study, the Bible reading, or the Congregation Bible Study. There are always topics for those, so post your comment there. Take some time to browse through the topics in the various forums that are available to you and see what appeals to you. Of course, at the moment you need to wait for your post to be approved before it appears. But eventually the moderators will get to know you through those posts, and will 'promote' you to a full access user.

Several years ago I was in the same position as you. Eventually though, and very surprisingly to me, all of a sudden I was a full access user. It didn't take all that long either!

We'd love to get to know you. So just reach out. :ok:

On 9/16/2018 at 2:05 PM, Abby31 said:

I am not sure I read any explanation on how to gain access to all forums.

and this is a thread that explains this

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Can an inactive account mean that the brother or sister simply hasn’t been on here in a while, or does it only mean that they are disfellowshipped or reproved?

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

Can an inactive account mean that the brother or sister simply hasn’t been on here in a while, or does it only mean that they are disfellowshipped or reproved?

It just means that their accounts were deactivated by the Staff for inactivity. Most of them, when they return to JWTalk, simply have to accept the updated terms of service and privacy policy and we will reactivate their account.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Forum Membership Policy has been changed.

Section C has been reworded for clarification. There is nothing different in here than there was before.

Section H has been amended. It used to read...

H: Copyright Violation

Caution must be taken to respect the copyrights of others. All sites, whether public, commercial, social, personal or private--contain elements that are protected under copyright laws. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post, image or other media that, in their opinion, constitutes a violation of the copyrights of any other individual or enterprise. 

Do not post entire articles or large portions of them from our publications or upload them as attachments to the forums or our Files Library. 

If you would like to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page.

... and now reads as follows. I have highlighted the changes from the previous version...

H: Copyrighted Content

1) Ownership: Caution must be taken to respect the copyrights of others. All sites, whether public, commercial, social, personal or private--contain elements that are protected under copyright laws, whether they are original works, fixed works, works made for hire, commissioned works, or works that have been assigned. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post, image or other media that, in our opinion, constitutes a violation of the copyrights of any other individual or enterprise. 

2) Fair Use: You agree to become familiar with typical "Fair Use" laws and to use good judgment when submitting content to the JWTalk community. It is usually both reasonable and acceptable to include a quotation from an article or other literary work, or to reference a single image or photograph, in order to start a topic or that is pertinent or necessary to further a current discussion in the community. However, do not post entire articles or large portions of them from our publications or upload them as attachments to the forums or our Files Library. Likewise, do not upload content containing multiple image attachments that you do not have copyright ownership or rights to. 

3) DCMA Takedown: It is our policy to respond to all notices of alleged copyright infringement. If you would like to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page.

By continuing your membership here, you agree to and are bound to the Forum Membership Policy, which may be updated and amended from time to time. 

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

26 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The Forum Membership Policy has been changed.

Section C has been reworded for clarification. There is nothing different in here than there was before.

Section H has been amended. It used to read...

... and now reads as follows. I have highlighted the changes from the previous version...

1) Ownership: Caution must be taken to respect the copyrights of others. All sites, whether public, commercial, social, personal or private--contain elements that are protected under copyright laws, whether they are original works, fixed works, works made for hire, commissioned works, or works that have been assigned. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post, image or other media that, in our opinion, constitutes a violation of the copyrights of any other individual or enterprise. 

2) Fair Use: You agree to become familiar with typical "Fair Use" laws and to use good judgment when submitting content to the JWTalk community. It is usually both reasonable and acceptable to include a quotation from an article or other literary work, or to reference a single image or photograph, in order to start a topic or that is pertinent or necessary to further a current discussion in the community. However, do not post entire articles or large portions of them from our publications or upload them as attachments to the forums or our Files Library. Likewise, do not upload content containing multiple image attachments that you do not have copyright ownership or rights to. 

3) DCMA Takedown: It is our policy to respond to all notices of alleged copyright infringement. If you would like to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page.

By continuing your membership here, you agree to and are bound to the Forum Membership Policy, which may be updated and amended from time to time. 

Geat, but I didn't like it when it came up kinda like  'Up jumped the devil' when I tried to post. I assumed I had commited a serious offense.  All is OK, I finally stumbled back to my post.  :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 minutes ago, Old said:

Geat, but I didn't like it when it came up kinda like  'Up jumped the devil' when I tried to post. I assumed I had commited a serious offense.  All is OK, I finally stumbled back to my post.  :)

Lol. I can probably prevent forcing acknowledging the TOS next time. 

In the last motnhs there have been a number of complaints about the way copyrighted artwork from our publications was being used. With the new policy on fair use we hope those concerns will be clarified. Posting (or hotlinking) a picture from our publications that is relevant to the discussion is fine and falls under fair use. Posting a whole gallery of them is not.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

The Forum Membership Policy has been updated as follows. By continuing your membership here, you agree to and are bound to the Forum Membership Policy, which may be updated and amended from time to time. 

The following changes have been decided on by the Administrators. The highlighted portions we want you to pay special attention to.

Change #1: We added the following to....

Commenting and Moderation

Are Certain Things Not Permitted to be Posted on JWTalk?

#) Misusing JW.org and its Services: The Terms of Use at JW.org makes the statement, "You may not: Misuse the website or its services, such as... accessing the website or its services using a method other than what is explicitly provided." Therefore, do not mine JW.org or it's affiliated services hunting for artwork, literature, or media that hasn't been officially released to the public yet. Spiritual food "is explicitly provided" at the proper time by the Faithful and Discreet Slave (Matthew 24:45) and not by individuals racing to be the ones to present it in place of them (Psalm 11:2).

^ NEW

Change #2: We added the following to....

Speech & Conduct

What is JWTalk’s Code of Conduct?

#) Avoiding Spoilers: It's unloving to post spoilers about information that others would rather hear 'at the proper time' at their own meeting. Therefore exercise caution and use the built in "spoiler" tag/function to hide such details when appropriate. Since Regional Conventions are typically held around the world spanning several months, we have one dedicated topic for discussing each years Regional Convention. Only those who have attended their convention should view the topic, which is clearly marked that the discussion may contain spoilers for those who haven't attended yet. Do not post about a current year's Regional Convention in any other topic than this designated one. Do not read the topic if you haven't attended your convention and don't wish to have it "spoiled" for you.

^ NEW 

Change # 3: We added the following to....

F. Forum File Uploads

3) JW Literature and Media: The Branch has repeatedly stated that we may share information from the organization’s official websites by sending a link, but according to the "Terms of Use" at JW.org and within the JW Library app, we should not post on the Internet any artwork, electronic publications, trademarks, music, photos, videos, or articles from our websites. This would include theocratic programs on jw.org or JW Stream, such as monthly broadcasts, congregation meetings, circuit assemblies, and conventions. Therefore, do not upload to our servers any literature or media that is available on JW.org and it's affiliated sites. Also, do not share links to unauthorized copies of content that has been uploaded to any file sharing, music sharing, or video sharing website.

^ NEW

The following is NOT a change, but since it hasn't been honored or enforced, we would like to draw your attention to it again....

1) Ownership: Caution must be taken to respect the copyrights of others. All sites, whether public, commercial, social, personal or private--contain elements that are protected under copyright laws, whether they are original works, fixed works, works made for hire, commissioned works, or works that have been assigned. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post, image or other media that, in our opinion, constitutes a violation of the copyrights of any other individual or enterprise. 

2) Fair Use: You agree to become familiar with typical "Fair Use" laws and to use good judgment when submitting content to the JWTalk community. It is usually both reasonable and acceptable to include a quotation from an article or other literary work, or to reference a single image or photograph, in order to start a topic or that is pertinent or necessary to further a current discussion in the community. However, do not post entire articles or large portions of them from our publications or upload them as attachments to the forums or our Files Library. Likewise, do not upload content containing multiple image attachments that you do not have copyright ownership or rights to. 

3) DCMA Takedown: It is our policy to respond to all notices of alleged copyright infringement. If you would like to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page.

^ Not New

What does this mean moving forward?

1) Do NOT mine JW.org or it's Akamai services for artwork and products that have not yet officially been released and post them as spoilers, sneak previews, here on JWTalk.

2) Do NOT upload unaltered copyrighted content from JW.org AT ALL.

3) Do NOT use image links to display myriads of pictures from JW.org

4) Do NOT use an image UNLESS it is actually necessary to explain or fascilitate discussion.

5) Do NOT treat JWTalk like Instagram or to "share" images or links with no clear indication what it is you want to discuss. We're a discussion forum, not Twitter or Facebook.  

6) Do NOT post links to YouTube or to file sharing services where others have not followed the clear direction from the Slave on distributing copyrighted content by a means other than JW.org or JW Library.

The Staff would like to thank you for your cooperation in making these changes. 

Huge thanks to all the staff for updating this! Sometimes there's need to wait for changes, and it's worth it, although you could think why it wasn't done before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 10:52 PM, Dismal_Bliss said:

3) DCMA Takedown: It is our policy to respond to all notices of alleged copyright infringement. If you would like to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page.

^ has been reworded to say the following....

3) DCMA Takedown: It is our policy to respond to all notices of alleged copyright infringement. To learn more about how to bring a copyright issue to our attention, please read our Copyright Takedown Policy.

We won't be forcing all users to accept the policy again over this minor change.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...