JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Obama: Maybe it's time for mandatory voting

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3272 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/19/politics/obama-mandatory-voting/index.html

Don't see it happening. But how do you friends handle it in Australia and Belgium?

At least 26 countries have compulsory voting, according to the Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance. Failure to vote is punishable by a fine in countries such as Australia and Belgium; if you fail to pay your fine in Belgium, you could go to prison.

Edited by Your Brother

Seriously? By whom it is seen? :eek:   Who said that?  :eek: FDS?  :eek:

No, that is not what the slave has said, but some do feel that way.

This is what the slave has said:

Voting in political elections. True Christians respect the right of others to vote. They do not campaign against elections, and they cooperate with elected authorities. However, they remain resolutely neutral with regard to the political affairs of the nations. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) What should a Christian do in lands where voting is compulsory or in a situation where feelings run high against those who do not go to the voting booth? Remembering that Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego went as far as the plain of Dura, a Christian, under similar circumstances, may decide to go to the booth if his conscience permits. However, he will take care not to violate his neutrality.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102008085#h=6-7&selpar=6

From the "God's Love" book appendix.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I really don't care if others vote or not. Goes back to judging and that's not my job. But I need some explanation as to how you could vote AND still be neutral? 

Maybe as regards education, such as school boards? I mean even then many school boards get involved in national issues.

Going to the booth isn't the same as voting.

Shadrach, Mesach and Abednego. (Sp?) Went to the plain where the statue was (or went to the voting booth) as it was mandatory, but they didn't bow down.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

It reminds me of Malawi back in the 1960's Mandatory participation, you were forced to buy a 25-cent card identifying you as member of the Party... if you didn't obtain it you were persecuted, killed, raped, tortured, homes burned, and all kinds of acts of inhumanity!  No, I don't want to see that!  I'm sure Satan will throw all kinds of things at us as we draw closer to the end, just pray we stay strong as most of those brothers did in Malawi!

I really don't care if others vote or not. Goes back to judging and that's not my job. But I need some explanation as to how you could vote AND still be neutral? 

Maybe as regards education, such as school boards? I mean even then many school boards get involved in national issues.

Some have voted but not for any of the political candidates.  One sister who lived in a part of Chile where voting is either mandatory or refusing to vote is viewed as being anti-government (I can't remember which it was) told us that she would go inside the booth and cross out the names of the candidates and write in "Jesus Christ".  

She still voted but maintained her neutrality.  

As to education reform, etc., I still don't see how you can vote for a human candidate and maintain your neutrality.  It's still political, just like Student Council.  What if you voted for someone and they decided to expel JW kids for not doing something that violated their conscience?  Voting for a human candidate makes you share in the responsibility of all of their actions while in office.

With the way they are fighting here about the type of ID needed to even go and vote - this seems an unlikely thing to happen.

If it does, just go without an ID and you'll be turned away   :lol1:- especially if you are any type of minority.

Edited by trottigy

Soon .....

Here in the United States of the Americas, lol, voting is not mandatory. Yet. It could happen. It is mentioned here however such as on applications for a driver's license, or getting certain governmental brnefits, etc. Of course I always decline. As a matter of fact, I don't even sign petitions for, say, better schools, a new playground, traffic lights etc. It's ALWAYS political no matter how they try to dress it up. Because sooner or later some local neighborhood political figure is going to butt his face in there, lights flashing and make a speech connecting the "we need better schools for our children" garbage with the government in some way.

Edited by Luezette

A few years ago we had a mandatory census everyone in our state had to fill out (noting several personal questions - such as how many people lived in the home, was anyone pregnant, where did our family shop, etc.) It didn't violate any Christian requirements so everyone as far as I know complied. We respect the government as long as it doesn't go against our integrity to Jehovah. Likewise, it's mandatory here when a young man turns 18 they have to register, but they explain they won't fight and give their scriptural reasoning why.

If there was a mandate to vote, I would simply write in a letter stating why I could not vote for a human and maintain my integrity to God and His King, and thus would not be voting nor registering to be able to do so (. I have gotten so many letters already about registering to vote, that I finally filled out a letter stating I was not interested in doing so.)

Edited by cricket246

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

My father always drummed it into us that if we went into a polling booth it would be seen as voting. I guess I never questioned it. He was an elder after all.

Parents have that power.  I'm in my 40s and still separating fact from opinion that my parents instilled.  

A few years ago we had a mandatory census everyone in our state had to fill out (noting several personal questions - such as how many people lived in the home, was anyone pregnant, where did our family shop, etc.) It didn't violate any Christian requirements so everyone as far as I know complied. We respect the government as long as it doesn't go against our integrity to Jehovah. Likewise, it's mandatory here when a young man turns 18 they have to register, but they explain they won't fight and give their scriptural reasoning why.

Heh... I was a Census worker in 2010.  My worldly family thought it was a riot that their JW cousin was doing the Census.

My thoughts on that, Randy are; This is Satan's world. He is running the whole show, and by even considering it (Jehovah reads hearts) you are performing an act of worship, aren't you? If one isn't "in the truth", they are more vulnerable to satanic influence. You might liken it to experiencing fire. If you stand too close to the flame, you  will get burned, the closer you are the bigger the scorch, and the longer to heal.

This reminds me of the law here in Georgia where several cities require their citizens to have weapons in their homes and on their persons at all times. Of course the brothers do not. They sent in a statement explaining their views.

There is one brother I know that does own a rifle and uses it for game hunting; we even sampled his deer stew during a gathering.

As far as the voting, fortunately I was baptized under the age of 18 and never had to bother to register to vote, or so I thought. Unfortunately renewal of my driver's license brought with it a trip to court as a Juror. I was so glad when it was not a murder case and it lasted for just three days.

Obama needs to read the Teach book he was given and quit doing Satans will.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)