JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gas prices

9 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'm visiting Tucson Arizona and gasoline is $1.25 a gallon. ...wow....

Is that good or bad compared to what you normally pay?

gallons confuse me, all our prices are in litres. Currently it's about £1 a litre here, so I guess that's about US$1.5 

1 US gal =3.78 L

1 imp gal = 4.5369 L

US$ 1 = approx C$ 1.4 varies day by day

Canada uses liters. I live in London, ON.  Travel to US - to Port Huron quite often.

Port Huron Gas.jpg

London Gas.jpg

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

price-listing-ad-brand-logo.png
6171 Manchester Rd & W Nimisila Rd
New Franklin
19h ago
5211 Manchester Rd & Renninger Rd
New Franklin
44m ago
5655 Manchester Rd & Center Rd
New Franklin
19h ago
455 W Turkeyfoot Lake Rd & Melton Ave
Portage Lakes
5h ago
price-listing-ad-brand-logo.png
4900 S Main St near Shrakes Hotel Dr
Green
19h ago

Current gas prices near me. 

2.39 here. I think it is pretty scarey. Last time this happened, the Soviet Union took a fall. A coincidence? I don't remember. We saw a special on the workers in this industry in Texas. Horrible economic repercussions. And the fact remains, it is a fossil fuel. Still fracking? Strange how a decision in a mid eastern country makes can hit so many people. I think, if I can remember right, Iran is flooding the market. Or was it Iraq? 

In reality, the system is one big fat Ponzi scheme. So. One way or another...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Fracking is what is causing the 5.4 earthquakes in Oklahoma, according to the experts.

Gasoline, $1. 42.9 yesterday, in Mobile, Alabama.

My son-in-law works as a subsea engineer, and he said when he was home last time, that the drilling contracts are getting few and far in between. He works on those huge rigs, drilling in the Indonesia area. Ever hear of Brunei? You should see the humongus monument to the oil industry! Bit enough you can see it's shadow, when you look at it's location, on the north shore of Brunei.

I remember when I first started driving in circa 1992-93, gas was 79 cents per gallon. When I was delivering pizza in 1996 I would put the premium 93 octane stuff in my car, but when it went up above $1.25 I downgraded to 91 octane and said to my co-workers "I'll never pay more than $1.25 per gallon for gas" lol. Then I was working at a gas station in 2000 and it went over $2 and every customer cussed me out. In early 2008 we were paying $4.19 per gallon around here and then the economy collapsed and we entered a recession.

So, seeing $1.50 and less is most welcome for me. I'll take it! It's like reliving my youth, lol.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

13 hours ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

I remember when I first started driving in circa 1992-93, gas was 79 cents per gallon. When I was delivering pizza in 1996 I would put the premium 93 octane stuff in my car, but when it went up above $1.25 I downgraded to 91 octane and said to my co-workers "I'll never pay more than $1.25 per gallon for gas" lol. Then I was working at a gas station in 2000 and it went over $2 and every customer cussed me out. In early 2008 we were paying $4.19 per gallon around here and then the economy collapsed and we entered a recession.

So, seeing $1.50 and less is most welcome for me. I'll take it! It's like reliving my youth, lol.

I swear when I was real young (I'm 59 now)' we had a station here that was 25 cents a gallon. Now it's 1.95.

4 hours ago, mserskine said:

I swear when I was real young (I'm 59 now)' we had a station here that was 25 cents a gallon. Now it's 1.95.

I'm the same age as you are and I remember the .25 a gallon gas wars. I remember my dad getting upset when gas was .30 a gallon.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

48 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I'm the same age as you are and I remember the .25 a gallon gas wars. I remember my dad getting upset when gas was .30 a gallon.

If they removed the gasoline taxes and restored the government subsidies and we all go back to working for a $1.00 per hour, that is about what we would be paying today.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

I remember the good old days when gas was 30 cents a gallon. 400 mile trip in my VW cast less than $5.00. Using the inflation data below it turns out I was paying far more than I am today for gas at the local price of $1.95

“From 1960 through 1965 nominal gas prices bounced between 30 and 31 cents a gallon while the inflation adjusted price fell from $2.48 to $2.33. But then the nominal price of gas started to climb and by 1970 had increased 20% to 36 cents a gallon but on an inflation adjusted basis gas prices had actually fallen to $2.19. And by 1972 gas on an inflation adjusted basis was a real bargain at $2.04 a gallon. At this point OPEC felt they were being cheated as the value of the dollars they were receiving were becoming worth less and less. So they started squeezing prices, which drove nominal prices in 1981 up to $1.35 and inflation adjusted prices up to $3.51. Note that this price was higher than the price during 1934 and 38 but below the 1918 price.

Read about it at:

http://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Oh dear, Thisdates me somewhat. I can remember it being 23.09 cents a gallon. I don't remember what diesel was, but it used to be cheaper. And, buying  $2.00 worth of gas was not unheard of. And it actually got you some place. And back!

Edited by Miss Bea

Misspelling

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

Oh how do I miss the old days when my Grandfather would collect and redeem Green Stamps. And when the attendants would run out to check your oil and tire pressure. On top of that they would give you a free glass, or an antennae orange Gulf 76 Ball, and STP stickers with a smile. Customer service at its finest !   

Gas was US $1.95 with 3 cent discount at Walmart, Lawrence, ID  last March - 2015  At that time it was 3.42 in Inland Empire area of Caifornai Ah.  A few days ago it went to $1.39 at Sam's Club, Port Huron, MI before going up then down again. It is now $1.46 at Sam's Club , however $1/79 at one Speedway ( this particular Speedway is usually the highest in area ).

Edited by pnutts

price went back up

I've been paying right on $AU1.00 per litre for several weeks, this is also the price in Sydney at the moment, though there's some kind of stupid cycle to prices in our capital cities which sees the prices oscillate over a range of about 15c per litre more or less each week...

It's refreshing compared to the $AU1.30 or so it's been common to pay for regular over the past several months and better than we've had for a few years. We've even seen a regular $AU1.50 per litre at times.

I use a lot of the stuff and it really does matter to me. For those people who only get 40 litres a week or something, which is not at all uncommon, it doesn't mean nearly as much as it does to me, it's worth it to me to chase the price. And I'm looking forward to crossing the USA again in April and July if those prices hold, they're lower than half what I paid last time.

We are back in Calif and the first gas station I went to was $2.29,  the next one was $2.69 and half way up Calif we stopped to eat and all the stations were $3.85, I guess they missed the memo...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Originally posted by Peanuts

Is that good or bad compared to what you normally pay?

gallons confuse me, all our prices are in litres. Currently it's about £1 a litre here, so I guess that's about US$1.5

Anna, that's down on what he normally pays. Prices really drop in the US when there's a drop in the 'per barrell' price.

To convert litres to the gallons they're talking about here, you divide by 3.9. Or multiply your price by 3.9... so £1 per litre becomes £3.90 per US gallon. Imperial gallons are 4.546 litres by the way.

10 hours ago, RaymondG said:

Anna, that's down on what he normally pays. Prices really drop in the US when there's a drop in the 'per barrell' price.

To convert litres to the gallons they're talking about here, you divide by 3.9. Or multiply your price by 3.9... so £1 per litre becomes £3.90 per US gallon. Imperial gallons are 4.546 litres by the way.

Peter point 2 :superman: stepping in. One US Gal= 3.785 L  ( I had to convert between Imperial, US & Metric at my 1st job out of school - making medicines back in early 70's )

It's funny that...

As you step up to many urinals in the US you are told that it's a one gallon = 3.9 ;iter (sic) flush!

3.785 it is, then.

And by the way, the dearest US fuel I struck (87 octane, of course) during my last trip was in mid-July along the Sierra Nevada and getting close to Yosemite, $5 per US gallon. I had seen dearer in Canada, of course.