JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

DISCUSS COURT CASE HERE JW.org - Jehovah’s Witnesses Mobilize Global Response to Threat of Ban in Russia

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1412 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Thanks to Jehovah we were able to attend the Memorial in peace.

Glad to hear that!

____
"Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."—Matthew 6:21.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Some news

https://www.modernghana.com/news/765502/russian-government-urged-to-drop-ban-against-jehovahs-witne.html

This one is in Spanish ==

http://www.eldiario24.com/nota/mundo/396436/comision-norteamericana-derechos-humanos-condena-acciones-legales-contra-testigos-jehova-rusia.html

(I have no idea how this posting showed up in my posting box...)

Edited by rbrown1205

We can thank Jehovah that we can attend our Memorial celebration publicly.  But apparently this was taken from our brothers in Moscow. --

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2271

Although the Justice Ministry press service claimed to Forum 18 that the Suspension Order does not apply to meetings for worship, at least two instances of police halting religious services have since been reported, Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18 on 6 April (see below).

Effects of Suspension Order

The Justice Ministry's 15 March Suspension Order forbids the Administrative Centre and its subdivisions from "using state and municipal news media, organising and conducting assemblies, rallies, demonstrations, processions, picketing, and other mass actions or public events, and using bank deposits, with the exception of use for making payments connected with their economic activity, compensating for losses (damages) caused by their actions, and paying taxes, fees, or fines, and making payments based on labour contracts".

This Order appears to have led in some places to even harsher law enforcement measures against individual Jehovah's Witnesses and their communities, which allegedly go far beyond what the order itself requires. Police in Bryansk have gone to believers' homes and "demanded explanations of who they were, what they did, which of their friends and relatives were Jehovah's Witnesses", Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18 on 6 April. In Kotovo in Oryol Region, police detained several people in the street and confiscated their Bibles and tablet computers.

Despite the fact that religious services do not fall into the category of "public events" mentioned in the order, police and FSB officers have disrupted worship in at least two locations. In the Sverdlovsk Region town of Tavda, five law enforcement agents interrupted a service, Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18. One of them "went onto the stage and read out the Justice Ministry's order regarding the suspension of activities, and announced that the service was over". Before halting a meeting for worship in Uchaly in Bashkortostan, officers covertly filmed those attending. Several worshippers were later summoned to the Prosecutor's Office, where officials demanded information about everyone in the video.

The main Jehovah's Witness annual commemoration – the Memorial of Christ's Death – will be marked this year on 11 April. On 3 April, however, the owner of premises rented for this event in Moscow cancelled the rental contract after a visit from the FSB security service, Jehovah's Witnesses told Forum 18 on 5 April.

Administrative Centre bank accounts blocked

Between 27 and 29 March, the Administrative Centre was added to the Rosfinmonitoring list of "organisations, against which there is evidence of involvement in extremist activity or terrorism", where it appears alongside banned terrorist organisations such as al-Qaeda and the so-called Islamic State.

As stipulated in the Justice Ministry's 15 March order, banks have blocked the Centre's financial transactions – despite the exceptions mentioned above, the Administrative Centre complains in its official objection to the liquidation lawsuit that it cannot carry out "normal economic activity", including any payments to state bodies (gosudarstvennaya poshlina). The Centre's bank informed the Administrative Centre on 31 March that its accounts had been frozen, after a transaction was refused on 29 March.

Jehovah's Witnesses report that local communities' and individuals' financial transactions have not been blocked.

38 minutes ago, Bob said:

I don't know if our brothers will enjoy the memorial in peace. 

I was reading in forum18 that their rental hall contract was cancelled (will provide link later).

My guess is that they're going to have a private celebration. 

I hope the other 175,000 are doing ok...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The theses of explanations with which Yuri Toporov, representative of the "Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" delivered to the Supreme Court of Russia on April 7, 2017.

"Dear court!  Dear participants of the process!

I support in full the statements made by the representatives of the Management Center and all the arguments set forth in the written objections submitted to the court on 04/04/2017.

Taking into account the administrative claim, the explanations of the administrative plaintiff, and also taking into account the arguments from the objections submitted by the administrative respondent, I would like to draw the court's attention and clarify a few key points in the manner of Article  159 CAS RF:

1. Administrative plaintiff (Ministry of Justice) submitted no specific studies and evidence that indicate what is the threat to the rights and freedoms of citizens, public order and public security on the part of the Administrative Center.

2. The Administrative Center has never engaged in the financing of extremist activities.

3. The Supreme Court of the Russian Federation has already determined that the liquidation of an LRO does not effect the rights and duties of the Administrative Center.

4. Local Religious Organizations (LROs) are not regional or structural units of the Administrative Center.

5. The liquidation of Local Religious Organizations that have not committed violations of anti-extremist legislation is contrary to the principles of legality and justice.

6. Public statement of the Administrative Center on non-involvement:

"In fulfilling the current legislation on counteracting extremist activities, the Centralized Religious Organization" The Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia "makes a public statement that it has nothing to do with the signs of extremism and the events described in judicial acts on bringing to administrative responsibility, as well as about Recognition of the extremist local religious organizations of Jehovah's Witnesses who are part of its structure.  The religious organization "The Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" did not entrust local religious organizations within its structure, as well as individual believers, to distribute, store or otherwise use the literature after it was added to the Federal List of Extremist Materials.  The program of services of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia does not include the study of information materials prohibited by law.  The religious organization "The Administrative Center of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia" does not agree with the actions of persons who bring to the worship buildings of Jehovah's Witnesses publications included in the Federal List of Extremist Materials.  For each fact of thrown up the forbidden literature, believers appeal to law enforcement agencies with a request to bring to justice those responsible . "

7. The claims of the Ministry of Justice do not comply with the law.

Taking into account all the above, guided by Chapter 22 of the Code of Administrative Proceedings of the Russian Federation, I ask the court to refuse to the administrative plaintiff in satisfying the claimed lawsuits in full.

Edited by Iron Stylus

clarifying Administrative Center (management center)

"People don't know what they like, they like what they know."

12 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Either way, our Russian will enjoy their Memorial, whether it's in the open, or private. 

Jehovah has never let us down, and there's no reason to feel he'll start now, and that includes our Russian family as well as the rest of our family in similar circumstances. 

It is 01:30 AM Wednesday morning in Moscow so I think all of the Memorials in Russia are completed. I hope we get some official news about them soon.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

17 hours ago, Doug said:

And, as we tuck ourselves to bed tomorrow, with sweet dreams of another Memorial observance in the books, the trial resumes .  .

For some reason this conundrum reminds me of 2 Cor. 6:14 "What sharing does light have with darkness?"

" They originate with the world; that is why they speak what originates with the world and the world listens to them" 1 John 4:14

Agreed. The court resumes Wednesday at 10:00 AM Moscow time, which is midnight tonight California time...

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

10 am Moscow is:

3 pm Perth time

5 pm Bris/Syd/Mel

4 pm Tokyo

3 am New York

midnight Los Angeles

8 am London

9 am Paris

https://www.google.com/search?q=world+clock&oq=worldcl&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.9126j0j4&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

*WAVES to everyone .... have I got the time right? I'll be conveying updates to an elder in our cong and a few other friends who don't have internet.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."