JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

Since none of us has the time to study, let alone read all the publications, watch every video, watch every broadcast, every morning worship more than once or possibly even once, what would be the purpose in downloading everything and I mean everything, as some have commented, onto my tablet?  If I do that with food I would be considered a glutton, my stomach would refuse it just as my tablet might refuse it.

Do they make Phillips Pills for Android, you know, just something to move it along?

(I probably shouldn't be thinking this early in the morning.  :()

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I agree with Jerry. Most of the videos, we only watch a couple of times. My friend had so many videos downloaded and then couldn't watch them. If you feel you need to have them, get an SD card and download them on it.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

If you live where the internet streaming is convenient and inexpensive, I can see this argument as persuasive.  But in the "boonies" where i live, if you need to view or listen or read) something it needs to be on your device.  Some items are used less often, and it is true that I have viewed some morning worship programs only once, but I have had more than one conversation where somebody asked about a subject or way of wording that required access at the time of the conversation.  I did not have time to run back to the Kingdom Hall (or some restaurant) 45 minutes away just to download the video, run back to the conversation and play it.

I long to be able to "stream" such services, but it is not going to happen here anytime soon.  Downloading is our only other option...unless "NO. I can't access that" is your answer...😟 

EDIT:  that is the same reasoning that I used for my extensive printed library as well.  I don't use every page in my encyclopedia either, but it is there if I need it.

Edited by jwhess

EDIT:  that is the same reasoning that I used for my extensive printed library as well.  I don't use every page in my encyclopedia either, but it is there if I need it.

What did you do if you needed some information from your extensive printed library?

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

Just now, Thesauron said:

What did you do if you needed some information from your extensive printed library?

Sorry, Br. Johan...I am not sure of the question you are asking.  Is it a genuine research question (like how do I search out the reference, index and so on)?  Or is it a rhetorical question...(like how would anyone use a printed library these days)?  Or is it a joke...(like how would you use it if the conversation was distant from my house)?

I am at a loss as to how to answer you.

8 minutes ago, jwhess said:

If you live where the internet streaming is convenient and inexpensive, I can see this argument as persuasive.  But in the "boonies" where i live, if you need to view or listen or read) something it needs to be on your device.  Some items are used less often, and it is true that I have viewed some morning worship programs only once, but I have had more than one conversation where somebody asked about a subject or way of wording that required access at the time of the conversation.  I did not have time to run back to the Kingdom Hall (or some restaurant) 45 minutes away just to download the video, run back to the conversation and play it.

I long to be able to "stream" such services, but it is not going to happen here anytime soon.  Downloading is our only other option...unless "NO. I can't access that" is your answer...😟 

Yes John, your situation is very understanable, but do you download EVERYTHING onto your tablet? My comment came up because of members commenting on over stuffing their tablets.

I have WT Library as my main library because it is relatively limitless, that is my pantry. My picnic basket is my tablet filled with an abundant but limited amount of goodies. :)

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Just now, Old said:

Yes John, your situation is very understanable, but do you download EVERYTHING onto your tablet? My comment came up because of members commenting on over stuffing their tablets.

I have WT Library as my main library because it is relatively limitless, that is my pantry. My picnic basket is my tablet filled with an abundant but limited amount of goodies. :)

On my tablet is every publication, book, magazine, tract and so on that is available to me from the early 1800's (Br. Grew, Br. Storrs, Russel, etc) down to this day.  Some of our publications included those written by faithful brothers not on the GB (like "The Way to Paradise" by Br. W.E. VanAmburgh -1924).  I tried to get every one but I am still short a few items, sadly.  I have them on my cell phone (I have a 256 GB card installed), and my tablet (512 GB Ipad).

People come up to me at meetings and say, something like..."Did Russell ever produce a book about the Flood and Fallen Angels?  I show them a picture of the book "Angels and Women.  I make myself a target, I suppose.  I have the pronunciation section of the WT library coded over to my Ipad so someone who has been called on to substitute for the Watchtower reader can ask for the correct pronunciation of a name quickly.

So, I go back much farther than the 1950 limit of the WT Library.  I go back farther than the 1935 Index.  I go back farther than the Watchtower Corporation.  This is true of my printed library as well.  I made it my goal to read every major book published by our organization (including the Studies in the Scriptures).  the 7 volumes are slowing me down.  I have about 20 or so books to go.

Sorry, Br. Johan...I am not sure of the question you are asking.  Is it a genuine research question (like how do I search out the reference, index and so on)?  Or is it a rhetorical question...(like how would anyone use a printed library these days)?  Or is it a joke...(like how would you use it if the conversation was distant from my house)?

I am at a loss as to how to answer you.

No, what I meant was, perhaps it is not necessary to have everything on our tablets for every conceivable situation. If necessary, wouldn’t it be a good idea to keep only what is necessary and perhaps return another time if more is needed? Like I guess you did when you only had a printed library?

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

34 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

No, what I meant was, perhaps it is not necessary to have everything on our tablets for every conceivable situation. If necessary, wouldn’t it be a good idea to keep only what is necessary and perhaps return another time if more is needed? Like I guess you did when you only had a printed library?

Ah, I see. Sure everybody chooses their level of involvement. Some will have the "Toolbox" and basic items.  Some will download weekly meeting publications and delete them later for more space.  Some will discover that the counsel on the midweek meeting does not work unless you download the "Reading Teaching" brochure first.  If you want the music to play next week you have to have internet access or have downloaded the book or video.

I am the exception for sure.  But did you notice in our forums, how many will ask...does anybody have a copy of...?  Obviously they have not downloaded a digital version and now they want to look at it.  If NO one had a copy, where would we be then?  I guess I am the designate guy...❤️

To regress...back in the day of "printed" pubs only, I had them available (usually).  It was a lot slower.  the question would be asked, the publisher would see me at the next meeting, I would research the article, then photocopy the article or loan them the publication.  the following week or two, the original publisher would try to get back to the RV.  After a couple of weeks, they would find them and try to rekindle the interest in the subject.  After using my book for a month, the publisher would (hopefully) remember to return it to me.  I was a lot slower but some one had to have a printed copy to start the  research solution.  It was often me. 

My parents were self-educated engineers and almost every room in the house (including the bathroom had books and magazines).  After they got the truth in 1953, they filled the living room, dining room, hallways and bedroom with bookshelves.  all of their engineering texts, all of their fiction publications and all of the Watchtower publications they could find were included.  I grew up reading, studying, researching as a result.  I love printed books and at one time I counted a thousand in my home.  But the digital world has let me put them in my hand.

To each his own, but call on me if needed...:sunshine:

Ah, I see. Sure everybody chooses their level of involvement. Some will have the "Toolbox" and basic items.  Some will download weekly meeting publications and delete them later for more space.  Some will discover that the counsel on the midweek meeting does not work unless you download the "Reading Teaching" brochure first.  If you want the music to play next week you have to have internet access or have downloaded the book or video.

I am the exception for sure.  But did you notice in our forums, how many will ask...does anybody have a copy of...?  Obviously they have not downloaded a digital version and now they want to look at it.  If NO one had a copy, where would we be then?  I guess I am the designate guy...

To regress...back in the day of "printed" pubs only, I had them available (usually).  It was a lot slower.  the question would be asked, the publisher would see me at the next meeting, I would research the article, then photocopy the article or loan them the publication.  the following week or two, the original publisher would try to get back to the RV.  After a couple of weeks, they would find them and try to rekindle the interest in the subject.  After using my book for a month, the publisher would (hopefully) remember to return it to me.  I was a lot slower but some one had to have a printed copy to start the  research solution.  It was often me. 

My parents were self-educated engineers and almost every room in the house (including the bathroom had books and magazines).  After they got the truth in 1953, they filled the living room, dining room, hallways and bedroom with bookshelves.  all of their engineering texts, all of their fiction publications and all of the Watchtower publications they could find were included.  I grew up reading, studying, researching as a result.  I love printed books and at one time I counted a thousand in my home.  But the digital world has let me put them in my hand.

To each his own, but call on me if needed...:sunshine:

Yes, but then, if you want it to work smoothly, maybe you need to consider what platform you are using. I suppose you either need to adjust your material to the platform you are using, or the other way around - adjust your platform for what you want to do with it. Because if you try to squeeze too much into a device that isn’t built to handle it, you will run into problems.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, but then, if you want it to work smoothly, maybe you need to consider what platform you are using. I suppose you either need to adjust your material to the platform you are using, or the other way around - adjust your platform for what you want to do with it. Because if you try to squeeze too much into a device that isn’t built to handle it, you will run into problems.

Br, Johan, your caution is well warranted.  I only buy the best devices I can afford and all of my electronics have 256 GB to 512 GB of memory.  I anticipate the usage.  Thanks for the general reminder.  Overloaded devices slow down.

On 11/28/2019 at 2:12 AM, Maris said:

I downloaded all the publications on my android phone and also the audio music files. But since yesterday evening when I tap open the JW library app the Favorites section on home page is not opening, just shows the purple circle going round and round but doesn't open. Also when I tap to open the publication section the app closes all together. So now I can't access the publications section anymore. Other sections open alright. But when I attempt to open the publications section, the app closes each time I try.. What could be causing this? 

I have tried to restart my phone but still same problem persists. So frustrating. Anyone facing similar issue?

This is how the homepage shows, the favourites section won't open. 

Screenshot_20191128-101235.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! Your description is exactly what happened yesterday on a sister's Samsung Tab 4,  8" Tablet I was updating. We have a "techy" brother in our hall who is supposed to contact me about this today. I will share what he suggests here later. :coffee:

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

10 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

I will share what he suggests

Hi again! The brother suggested a factory reset...Even if the JW L app is fixed, the sister's tablet takes 5 to 7 minutes to turn on and will not connect to wifi without a restart!!. I called Samsung and they agreed because the tablet is 5 years old and a reset can do a lot of good as far as removing any data gathered over time. So tomorrow my husband and I will go to the Kingdom Hall to use the wifi there and do the reset.....:facepalmpo2:

cat2_e0.gif

Quick guide to fixing most android issues.

generally  following these steps till the problem is solved  fixes the majority  of problems.

1 Restart phone

2 check and instal  updates for app then android

3 Clear cache settings -> apps -> app name -> storage

4 reinstall app 

Most issues will not require a reinstall

6 hours ago, Zebra555 said:

What happens when you start to add a new favourite (favorite). 

Do you get a repeat of the problem?

I didn't have any problem adding favorites..the sister's tablet is older..a Samsung Tab 4  8". However, yesterday I updated my Tab A  8" in the Play Store and right away after I updated "what's new", numerous un-downloaded Social Media whiteboard videos appeared in Favorites..however, as long as everything works, I will not delete the app and start over..Anybody try that? Maybe the newest app is fixed..like on the sister's tablet?😉

cat2_e0.gif

Here's one for you guys.

Has anyone else noticed that the menu(3dots) option while in any publication that allows you to "open in online library" is now gone also?

This is one of my favorite options since WOL will reference the publication index which I use so often. Also the bible reading from there will scroll along by paragraph as it is read. Not to mention you can click on any paragraph, push play on the pop-up and begin the reading from there.(great for getting correct pronunciation of names etc) This menu option to open it directly to the exact publication that you are in on the app was most convenient. I would love to know that I am just not seeing it some place else that it may have had been moved. Anyone?

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Here's one for you guys.

Has anyone else noticed that the menu(3dots) option while in any publication that allows you to "open in online library" is now gone also?

This is one of my favorite options since WOL will reference the publication index which I use so often. Also the bible reading from there will scroll along by paragraph as it is read. Not to mention you can click on any paragraph, push play on the pop-up and begin the reading from there.(great for getting correct pronunciation of names etc) This menu option to open it directly to the exact publication that you are in on the app was most convenient. I would love to know that I am just not seeing it some place else that it may have had been moved. Anyone?

Hi James, the capability is still there, just a little more complicated, and it works a bit different.

If you click on the 3 dots, then "Share Link", one of the options should be to "Open in JW.ORG".

Note that this does NOT "open in online library" (WOL) as the other way did, rather it opens the publication in the standard library. You can still start the audio reading in the middle of a chapter, the interface is a bit different than WOL, and unfortunately I don't see any scrolling like WOL does. I've tested this on Windows 10 & Android.

5 hours ago, JamesC said:

Also the bible reading from there will scroll along by paragraph as it is read. Not to mention you can click on any paragraph, push play on the pop-up and begin the reading from there.(great for getting correct pronunciation of names etc) This menu option to open it directly to the exact publication that you are in on the app was most convenient.

This feature is yet to be added to JW Library. (iOS, Android, Windows)

Edited by Luigi62

7 hours ago, JamesC said:

Here's one for you guys.

I find that if I go to Meetings/Watchtower Study and open the Watchtower lesson, I can then tap the 3 dots and choose "share link", and there is the option to open in WOL as well as the option to open in JW org!!😀

cat2_e0.gif

9 hours ago, keypunch said:

Hi James, the capability is still there, just a little more complicated, and it works a bit different.

If you click on the 3 dots, then "Share Link", one of the options should be to "Open in JW.ORG".

Note that this does NOT "open in online library" (WOL) as the other way did, rather it opens the publication in the standard library. You can still start the audio reading in the middle of a chapter, the interface is a bit different than WOL, and unfortunately I don't see any scrolling like WOL does. I've tested this on Windows 10 & Android.

I can share to wol throughout the app and I'm on android

image.thumb.png.3d69906a5bb8f65cceaf9f7e0e9d7db0.png

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

When did we start having 2 copies of the Watchtower for our study lesson?

One is the regular study copy and the other is just the questions.

That doesn’t come up on my device. But why do we need just the questions, is it meant for the conductor? What is the code/ what is the link to download the study questions?

Edited by Luigi62