JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

29 minutes ago, gusdn1 said:

Highlights created in the Bible and other publications display in the study pane. Highlights cannot be edited in the study pane.

That's interesting, it means the material in the Study pane will be linked to what you have on your device instead of being included in material.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 of the explanations for the new update on JW Library stated,

• Highlights created in the Bible and other publications display in the study pane. Highlights cannot be edited in the study pane.

With this update, now in any article, whether a WT study article or any Awake article or a paragraph from a book, if you highlight a word/phrase on let’s say Paragraph #3, and THEN you also CREATE A NOTE from the word/phase you highlighted, now this note will be ADDED to the new “STUDY PANE” on the right with the same color with the #3 on top of the note!  Here is an example below I made of just 3 notes for this week’s WT study lesson.

(I just added a bunch of letters to each note to create quick notes so I could show this example)

image.thumb.png.e3393d1fddca9baede3c89f437fb1506.png 

So now we all can create notes on any article or book, just like before, BUT NOW thanks to this update our notes will all be saved together in a visible study pane, exactly like in the Bible where we have been adding notes and these are saved together in the study pane on the right along with the “Study Notes” that are provided by the FDS.

Especially for our books will this be helpful, as we can go back years later and quickly examine all the notes on the “Study Pane” if we are looking for a thought we wrote down from years ago. But before this update, we would have had to go back and open each colored “square” like this  🟨  that contained a note inside we had created and this would take a long time to go through each square/note one at a time.  So this new study panel will help a lot when we go back and review articles/books in the future! 👍 

Edited by Beggar for the Spirit

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, And put within me a new spirit, a steadfast one" (PS 51:10)

7 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

With this update, now in any article, whether a WT study article or any Awake article or a paragraph from a book, if you highlight a word/phrase on let’s say Paragraph #3, and THEN you also CREATE A NOTE from the word/phase you highlighted, now this note will be ADDED to the new “STUDY PANE” on the right with the same color with the #3 on top of the note!  Here is an example below I made of just 3 notes for this week’s WT study lesson.

(I just added a bunch of letters to each note to create quick notes so I could show this example)

So now we all can create notes on any article or book, just like before, BUT NOW thanks to this update our notes will all be saved together in a visible study pane, exactly like in the Bible where we have been adding notes and these are saved together in the study pane on the right along with the “Study Notes” that are provided by the FDS.

Especially for our books will this be helpful, as we can go back years later and quickly examine all the notes on the “Study Pane” if we are looking for a thought we wrote down from years ago. But before this update, we would have had to go back and open each colored “square” like this  🟨  that contained a note inside we had created and this would take a long time to go through each square/note one at a time.  So this new study panel will help a lot when we go back and review articles/books in the future! 👍 

This is gonna be so helpful for Pio school! 

7 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I thought it was already doing that?  When I’ve done this in the past the note was there. I learned a while ago to highlight in the color I wanted first and then add note so they wouldn’t all be gray. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

7 hours ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

I have v15 on my Android phone now. The side study panel now shows highlights!
Wooo hoooo
(See update list 4 posts earlier)

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

36b5974959d611f2fca10ad40c762681.jpg

This I have been wanting for forever!  If there was something from the side article I wanted to comment about, I would copy and paste it into a note from the paragraph so it was easier to get to…

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

This I have been wanting for forever!  If there was something from the side article I wanted to comment about, I would copy and paste it into a note from the paragraph so it was easier to get to…

This is so convenient for the MWM when we are asked about good verses we've found. No need to open the Bible.

5 minutes ago, Skye said:

I lost all my audio files and videos after the automatic  update. Did I do something wrong? See screenshots:

IMG_7388.thumb.png.3e02a9a7ec29c04dea7bb7a264a0c561.pngIMG_7387.thumb.png.9167d4f0a70900a04f31e3c9f36b71c8.png

The catalogue of the app resets after the update because of newly added sign languages, so you will need to trigger the refresh function to bring the contents back again.

If it didn't work, you may need to completely shut down the app by killing its background task and opening the app once again.

Edited by gusdn1

"For now I would be lying down undisturbed; I would be sleeping and at rest."  Job 3:13

16 minutes ago, gusdn1 said:

you will need to trigger the refresh function to bring the contents back again.

If it didn't work, you may need to completely shut down the app by killing its background task and opening the app once again.

Thank you soooo much! All good now.

You have no idea how big of a deal this update is for sign language. Just wow. 

Sign language is almost fully integrated. 
IMG_3241.thumb.png.d4ee4c833c95e0e3f00ed271f60a0d1e.png

as you can see above, sign language bibles can appear right next to text bibles. THAT IS SO UNBELIEVABLY EXCITING! lol. This makes quickly searching for a scripture to show in sign so much faster. 

IMG_3242.thumb.png.73140e9cf79bbfc2881b8d9a80dd5b87.png

one thing sign bible is missing is the research library references in the side pane. But it’s identical to the feature set of the JW sign language app Bible but with a new form factor. 

Additionally, jwpub files for sign language publications like the pioneer textbook, SCE, and others can be opened in JWL as video, or you can view the text instead. (Which yes, is often different that the English text)

IMG_3243.thumb.png.b1f537650a29c4d249b07ce5b5a8f7f5.png

The JWSL app was the first to have a playlist feature and the ability to clip and trim videos. However, when the feature was added to JWL, it received an extra feature sign language did not: the ability to export and import individual playlists. JWSL you would have to back up all of your playlists, so if a brother wanted to make his own playlist and send it to the AV brothers, he would have to delete his personal playlists first. (In sign language, every talk requires the speaker send in his media needs INCLUDING BIBLE VERSES well in advance of the talk so the playlist could be built.) Now a brother can just make his own playlist once, and send it to the brothers completed. This will be an enormous lightening of workload. 

9 hours ago, TheKid23 said:

This is gonna be so helpful for Pio school! 

Yes, @TheKid23Hannah, you have no idea how convenient that is. I am having the happy experience of it. I even add links to the right panel that open to a video. I prepare the lesson and during the week, when school begins, I will only have to reread all my notes and watch videos related to the theme.

16 hours ago, Beggar for the Spirit said:

I’m really confused, isn’t this how it was before? 

IMG_3245.thumb.png.d37e770a7f28a87cab9f05adabda367b.png

here’s an old note from previous convention. I put some of my duties as notes in the program as reminders. This appears just as it did when I first did it. 

On 6/22/2024 at 6:48 PM, Dolce vita said:

Yes, @TheKid23Hannah, you have no idea how convenient that is. I am having the happy experience of it. I even add links to the right panel that open to a video. I prepare the lesson and during the week, when school begins, I will only have to reread all my notes and watch videos related to the theme.

How you add links in the right panel that open to a video? we can do that? 

On 6/22/2024 at 6:11 PM, 1MKnight said:

isn’t this how it was before? 

The novelty is that now your personal notes are arranged below the number of the paragraph it belongs to. Prior to this, although they were in order, you had to tap on the note to see to which paragraph it is connected to.

On 6/22/2024 at 1:14 AM, Beggar for the Spirit said:

24 minutes ago, Ysaias said:

The novelty is that now your personal notes are arranged below the number of the paragraph it belongs to. Prior to this, although they were in order, you had to tap on the note to see to which paragraph it is connected to.

Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense. Cool!

3 hours ago, lucas.rocha1000 said:

How you add links in the right panel that open to a video? we can do that? 

@lucas.rocha1000I don't know if I understand your question correctly and if I'm not going to suggest a truism.

Let's say that when I prepare my lessons, for example the lesson dedicated to the NWT Bible: I do several  searches related to the subject, I number the sub-questions then I paste the answers I choose on the right panel. I can also copy the link to several videos that talk about the Bible, I can even add songs like 'Your Word endures forever', a little personal extra. However, the link will have to be pasted into the search bar, I don't have the technique to make it open automatically, but no doubt others have this knowledge.

Just take a look at brother Ysaias'comment, he explains it much better than I do.😄

Wow to this update which I only just now did.  I’ve been note taking in my assembly/convention programmes ever since it was enabled and now all my notes are side by side of programme talk.  Makes it easy to find information when I want to refer back to any talks, which I regularly do in my comments/talks etc.  The only -ve is I only use my phone so have to turn it sideways to see study pane.  

2 hours ago, Dolce vita said:

I can also copy the link to several videos that talk about the Bible, I can even add songs like 'Your Word endures forever', a little personal extra. However, the link will have to be pasted into the search bar, I don't have the technique to make it open automatically, but no doubt others have this knowledge.

A video link (or any other type link from jw.org or secular) pasted into a study note can be opened by selecting or highlighting the link, and choose Open Link in the bar that pops up.  It will open the video in a separate window.  That's all there is to it.  It essentially converts the 'text' into a live link and opens it.

The tricky part is when adding to a study note or opening a link in a study note you've created in an article, you have to choose 'Edit' by clicking on the 3 small dots in the upper right corner of your created note. In 'Edit' mode, you can edit the text body, the title of the note, and add or open link text by highlighting it.

If you are doing your editing from the Personal Study tab, it's easier to edit, add link text, 'Open Link',  add tags, etc. Might have to 'right click' or similar to get the edit bar/box to pop up. There are slight differences depending on what device/brand/op system, etc. you are using.

Here’s a screen shot of 3 links, one a video, one a Watchtower article, and one, a secular link on an unrelated topic in our Weekly Bible reading, just for illustration that a secular link also can be added:

Screenshot2024-06-24at1_38_55PM.thumb.png.aa3bbedad27fc2d97e6289bc466f2c35.png

Study notes are light years ahead of where we started and keep getting better all the time.  

"Where the scriptures and and the slave are silent, I do not speak." :bible2: