Jump to content
JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Scientists say people become 'adults' only in their 30s


We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1145 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Recommended Posts

A BBC report says neuroscientists have concluded that people do not reach adulthood till 30s. As we know, legally we all become 'adults' at 18 in many countries and if we commit a crime, we can end up in jail.

 

This made me think about the age of majority in the spiritual sense. When do we start being held responsible for our sins in God's eyes? Does God treat a sin by a 10-year-old in the same way as that of a 30 year-old?  

 

People don't become 'adults' until their 30s, say scientists 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47622059

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once we are baptised, we come under judicial system that is universal to all baptised persons 

But of course not everyone is held to the ONE rigid rule,  but loving shepherds consider each case individually taking a lot into consideration when dealing with sin. 

But the baptism is a marker, regardless of age. (When talking about being responsible to be held at judicial level) 

 

Example: Ap Peter appeared as unbalanced and unfaithful person when denying Jesus, yet Jesus granted him privilege of using 3 Kingdom keys, King David comes to mind as well. 

We see that Jehovah takes a lot into consideration, things that are invisible to humans, he can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

Once we are baptised, we come under judicial system that is universal to all baptised persons 

But of course not everyone is held to the ONE rigid rule,  but loving shepherds consider each case individually taking a lot into consideration when dealing with sin. 

But the baptism is a marker, regardless of age. (When talking about being responsible to be held at judicial level) 

 

Example: Ap Peter appeared as unbalanced and unfaithful person when denying Jesus, yet Jesus granted him privilege of using 3 Kingdom keys, King David comes to mind as well. 

We see that Jehovah takes a lot into consideration, things that are invisible to humans, he can see.

I have been thinking about your words. If today baptism acts as a marker of our 'spiritual age of majority', what about the past? There were no baptisms. So did circumcision act a marker for them?

  

If I understand it correctly, today we enter the new covenant by getting baptised while in the past, people entered the old covenant by getting circumcised. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Bek said:

I have been thinking about your words. If today baptism acts as a marker of our 'spiritual age of majority', what about the past? There were no baptisms. So did circumcision act a marker for them?

  

If I understand it correctly, today we enter the new covenant by getting baptised while in the past, people entered the old covenant by getting circumcised. 

 

 

 

Hi Brother Nurzat.  Baptism is not a marker or sign of spiritual maturity. You could say It is just  beginning of our spiritual lives, but it wouldn’t be spiritual “maturity”.

That comes after baptism, if we apply ourselves and gain knowledge and experience.... we gradually progress towards maturity.

 

Literal circumcision was for descendants of Abraham who also came under Mosaic law and were required to be circumcised in most cases, as babies. So there was no maturity there.

 

Regarding the new and old covenants.

Only those anointed to rule in the kingdom are in the new covenant and they enter into the new covenant not through baptism but through  anointing by Holy Spirit. 

 

On your other comment.....The Jews did not enter the old covenant (Mosaic law) by getting circumcised. After Moses day they were born into the that old covenant. As a nation at Mt. Sinai they agreed to become Jehovah’s special property and obey the laws. Circumcision was just one of those laws.

Edited by Pjdriver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Hi Brother Nurzat.  Baptism is not a marker or sign of spiritual maturity. You could say It is just  beginning of our spiritual lives, but it wouldn’t be spiritual “maturity”.

That comes after baptism, if we apply ourselves and gain knowledge and experience.... we gradually progress towards maturity.

 

Literal circumcision was for descendants of Abraham who also came under Mosaic law and were required to be circumcised in most cases, as babies. So there was no maturity there.

 

Regarding the new and old covenants.

Only those anointed to rule in the kingdom are in the new covenant and they enter into the new covenant not through baptism but through  anointing by Holy Spirit. 

 

On your other comment.....The Jews did not enter the old covenant (Mosaic law) by getting circumcised. After Moses day they were born into the that old covenant. As a nation at Mt. Sinai they agreed to become Jehovah’s special property and obey the laws. Circumcision was just one of those laws.

Thank you Brother for this reply. I have learnt something new and you also reminded me that only the anointed enter the new covenant. :)

 

There is a difference between "spiritual age of majority" and "spiritual maturity". I used that the first phrase only to mean the start of legal responsibility. 

 

So Jews were literally born into their religion then. This reminds me of Muslims.

 

Being born into religion is a big issue in Islam. It is what they call ethnic religion. They say once born you come under Islamic laws and cannot leave Islam. If you do, you should die. It is an argument they use against Christian converts. It is so annoying. 

 

Surprisingly, I was a bit shocked when I read on some profiles here that they are born into the truth and raised in the truth. Some even say "born and raised as JW".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bek said:

I was a bit shocked when I read on some profiles here that they are born into the truth and raised in the truth.

 

I don't see the problem with this terminology. I was not "born in the truth" as my dad didn't get baptised until I was 10 years old. Even still, I had no interest in learning from him for a few years after that. 

 

My kids on the other hand are "born in the truth", meaning that they were born to a set of witness parents. Likewise, they are being "raised in the truth", meaning that their God-fearing parents are inculcating Jehovah's word into them, and they are learning from Jehovah himself as well. One day I pray they will "make the truth their own" and dedicated their lives to serving him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I feel I’ve reached maturity now at 31 years of age I feel like I am more level headed not changing my mind as much and more in control of my feelings and not giving in to emotions and feelings, “because emotions are just a guide”. I really wish I had the same level of intellect and emotional stability at age 20. But I guess it’s all part of growing up and the reason Jesus our king and high priest was 30 when he started his ministry although he probably would have been at the level much younger but from a outsider view 30 would of been a good age for people to listen to and take seriously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a definite difference in meaning between being born into a jw family and being born into the nation of Israel.

Israel was a dedicated nation. Those born into it did not have to make a specific dedication as Christians do. 

We are not born jws, we learn and make an individual choice of dedication and baptism. 

 

Im wondering, in the NW will we continue that way or will dedication will be a given?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Godskingdomrules said:

I feel I’ve reached maturity now at 31 years of age I feel like I am more level headed not changing my mind as much and more in control of my feelings and not giving in to emotions and feelings, “because emotions are just a guide”. I really wish I had the same level of intellect and emotional stability at age 20. But I guess it’s all part of growing up and the reason Jesus our king and high priest was 30 when he started his ministry although he probably would have been at the level much younger but from a outsider view 30 would of been a good age for people to listen to and take seriously.

That is a good point. @Mykyl asked earlier why Jesus did not start his ministry in his 20s. 

 

In the Middle East and other neighbouring regions, age is an important factor in commanding respect. I don't think Jesus would have been taken seriously had he started his ministry in his 20s. Even today in my region age plays an important role. If, for example, a 25-year-old was put in charge of a company, he would have a hard time running it despite his top-north qualifications and stuff. 

 

Quote

I don't see the problem with this terminology. I was not "born in the truth" as my dad didn't get baptised until I was 10 years old. Even still, I had no interest in learning from him for a few years after that. 

 

My kids on the other hand are "born in the truth", meaning that they were born to a set of witness parents. Likewise, they are being "raised in the truth", meaning that their God-fearing parents are inculcating Jehovah's word into them, and they are learning from Jehovah himself as well. One day I pray they will "make the truth their own" and dedicated their lives to serving him.

@Dismal_Bliss I personally understand the terminology, but it makes it difficult for folks like me when we talk to Muslims. They use this kind of terminology as an argument to impose their rules on people who want to convert. Christian converts, in turn, argue that you cannot be born into a religion. It is something that you decide when you feel ready for yourself. It is not like ethnicity or genetic diseases that you inherit from your parents automatically. So if we start saying that "we are born and raised JWs", it just strengthens the Muslims' argument and makes the conversion extremely difficult unless you flee to a non-Islamic country.

 

Just imagine a fierce mob of Muslims hears that you have converted to Christianity and they come demanding that you renounce or die. You argue saying that you cannot be born into a religion and so on, but one of them shows a profile on this website and says here JWs say that you can be born into a religion. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, Bek said:

There were no baptisms. So did circumcision act a marker for them?

Circumcision could not constitute age of majority because males were circumcised at 8 days of age.  Hardly old enough to decide anything for oneself.  

 

And only males were circumcised. Such a marker of majority would exclude roughly 50% of the population from ever being capable of reaching majority.  And we know mature women were viewed just as much as adult as men. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bek said:

Just imagine a fierce mob of Muslims hears that you have converted to Christianity and they come demanding that you renounce or die.

Bek, do live among many Muslims? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bek said:

 converts, in turn, argue that you cannot be born into a religion

We had a part (or was it an article?) years and years ago about this. The basic point was nobody is born into the Truth.  Everyone must make the Truth their own. 

 

Some youths are born into a Christian home, like @Dismal_Blissdescribed for his children. But they technically are not born (or raised) in the Truth.

 

This is really a minor technicality and is on the same level of distinction as being a member of the Other Sheep vs. Great Crowd. The difference being the Great Crowd will only be identifiable at/after Armageddon. 

 

It's minor semantics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2019 at 4:48 AM, Bek said:

A BBC report says neuroscientists have concluded that people do not reach adulthood till 30s. As we know, legally we all become 'adults' at 18 in many countries and if we commit a crime, we can end up in jail.

 

This made me think about the age of majority in the spiritual sense. When do we start being held responsible for our sins in God's eyes? Does God treat a sin by a 10-year-old in the same way as that of a 30 year-old?  

 

People don't become 'adults' until their 30s, say scientists 

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47622059

 

That's probably about right actually. My twenties felt more like Teenage Years Volume 2..

 

I wonder if this reflects the age we will look like when we are in perfect health, living forever? Although I was thinking closer to 40 (minus any wrinkles and grey hair of course).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bek said:

Yes, I do. I live in Central Asia, which is the second most Islamic region after the Middle East. 

The ministry must be interesting. Do many Muslims accept the truth there?

I studied with a Muslim man from Iran years ago when Iran took a bunch of  American hostages,...when Jimmy Carter was president of the USA. 

His name was Ali and he was a refugee. He couldn’t Accept the virgin birth for some reason. Any other miracle was plausible....but not the virgin birth...go figure. :coffee:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 22.1.2 (changelog)