JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

Washington State Death Toll Now at Ten 9 of which are in King County where there are 31 cases up from 10 on Tuesday and there is now one death in the State of California. 

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/department-health-confirms-first-coronavirus-death-washington-state/XIDPHMLVOJAAREQ5YCL75367PU/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/05/coronavirus-live-updates/

6 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

The WHO says the virus can survive on bank notes for DAYS!

Advises to use other means of payment.

The health risk to other means of payment is that touchscreen where you put in your card.  Probably just as filthy as money.  Touch screens are everywhere. 

from above "The health risk to other means of payment is that touchscreen where you put in your card.  Probably just as filthy as money.  Touch screens are everywhere." 

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was buying my ingredients to make hand sanitizer , so why not use an active pen (stylus) and then wipe the end off as soon as you can with sanitizer or wear a glove or wipe the entire key pad down before using it, a lot of extra effort but this is what this system has done, making us fearful to touch anything, how about those nasty large touch screens McDonalds is now using to pre order, UGH ?

2020-03-05_07h33_18.png

On 3/4/2020 at 8:29 PM, My little flower said:

TWO strains of the killer coronavirus are spreading around the world - and 70% of infected patients have caught the more aggressive and contagious type, study claims. 

https://trib.al/SqUw2ov

An english youtuber Dr John Campbell gives a good pictorial explanation of the difference between the S and L strains of the corona virus.

At 10:00 - The change is in the viral spike whereby the virus attaches to the human cell via the ACE2 receptor and infects the human cell.

https://youtu.be/FYPZHA-UjUY

My daughter said that there was a letter read at last nights meeting stating that there will be no more hand held mics, going back to long poles, for now only those close to the end isle seats are able to answer while the brother holds the mic! A lot of friends calling in to listen, with only 25 able to do so , that's the limit 25, she was not able to get in, her husband attended.

9 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

My daughter said that there was a letter read at last nights meeting stating that there will be no more hand held mics, going back to long poles

We haven't had any direction to do that in our area.

The Sound department keeps a container of disinfecting wipes in the cabinet so last week I kept one with me as I handled one of the roving mics. I wiped the mic each time it was used. The mic was always a little damp and smelled like disinfectant but no one complained...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

My daughter said that there was a letter read at last nights meeting stating that there will be no more hand held mics, going back to long poles, for now only those close to the end isle seats are able to answer while the brother holds the mic! A lot of friends calling in to listen, with only 25 able to do so , that's the limit 25, she was not able to get in, her husband attended.

Sorry if I missed it, but, where does your daughter and her husband live?

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Coronavirus: UK moving towards 'delay' phase of virus plan as cases hit 90

Some thoughts from that article:

He told ITV's This Morning programme: "One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance."

He told ITV's This Morning programme: "One of the theories is perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease to move through the population without really taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance."

This is good to hear:

Prof Whitty also said that for a high-risk older person,

catching the virus would not make them "a goner", adding

the "great majority" of people - even those in their 80s - will recover.

Even with the pole mics the tendency when putting it out for someone to answer is for that person or child is to grab the mic and hold it, so I really do not see that as an avoidance from touching the mic, plus when speaking into it your exhaling your breath or touching  it with your mouth if not firmly held! I guess we'll just have to go back to speaking up!

2020-03-05_09h02_16.png

I'm sure I don't have the coronavirus, but I definitely have some sort of a bug.

(A bug by any other name is still a bug.:D )   Was super achy yesterday and woke up

today with a progressively scratchy throat and congested lungs with a dry cough.  Oh...joy. :D 

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is obviously being prepared, though.  On the scanner, when

EMS calls in a sick person now the hospital asks them to ask the patient if they have been out of

the country in the past 14 days, or if they have been around anyone else who has been out of the country

in the past 14 days.  

That is definitely a new development. :( 

I was around someone who was around someone who has been out of the country in the past 14 days.

(Firefighter whose wife flew in from Tokyo Friday night.)

Haven't heard that question asked...yet.  

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

2 hours ago, Lee49 said:

That information is of a confidential nature addressed to elders and was not to be read to the congregation. It is a forwarned is forarmed letter to become deeply involved in protective procedures. Unlike the previous letter this one was not to be posted. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

received from a tour operator (Thompson House) in N.Y:

As you may be aware, the outbreak of the coronavirus COVID-19 continues to spread, including within the United States.

After consulting with U.S. Department of Health officials, all tours at Patterson, Wallkill, and Warwick have been
canceled during the month of March. This closure is effective immediately and includes your previously confirmed tour reservation.

We recognize that this will affect your travel plans and apologize for the inconvenience. However, this is being done out of concern for the health of our
many visitors. As soon as it is deemed safe, tours of our facilities will resume as normal. We will notify you as soon as tours resume so you can reschedule
your tour using the online reservation tool found on jw.org. (Look under ABOUT US > OFFICES &TOURS.)

43 minutes ago, Old said:

That information is of a confidential nature addressed to elders and was not to be read to the congregation. It is a forwarned is forarmed letter to become deeply involved in protective procedures. Unlike the previous letter this one was not to be posted. 

Oh well!? Cats out the bag now. Wow! 

I personally never liked using the poles from a long time ago

Edited by AH173

Update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

40 minutes ago, Old said:

you are right , there was no letter " read" to the congragation!

19 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Oh well!? Cats out the bag now. Wow! 

I personally never liked using the poles from a long time ago

Me either, the mics were often place wrong and one had to put a hand on the pole. On occasion some would be lightly banged in the face. Our KH has a center seating section of ten seats which would require a 7 ft pole. maybe and adjustable one say friom 4 to 7 feet might work. The mic handeler always had to be aware of where the other end on the pole was, more than a few got whacked that way. We will do what we gotta do.  :(

Edited by Old

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Another cruise ship traveling from San Francisco to Hawaii was stopped for coronavirus testing: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

The governor of Georgia is supposed to hold a press conference at 4 pm today to talk about the 2 cases in this state.  I don't know that there are any others--yet.

Excuse the bad pun here .. But I do think with Cruise Ships that this is the tip of the Iceberg. I am sure there have been other Ships prior who have had contagion on board and have passed under the radar.

But good news - I think at the moment ...

Is there are two strains of Sars.2.Cov - The S strain and the L strain.

Now the S strain is the original ancestor of Covid19 - they think this is what is being passed around in most cases (Italy they aren't sure though)

The L strain is the mutated form - more verilent and more contagious - they think for the most part this was contained in China when they discovered it. So that's better news than the L strain being the most prevalent. May change of course.

The vaccine they are working on that they hope to release in 2021 - covers both strains. 

I have to say too, I think this is where some of the confusion lies with varying stats ie: Survival on surfaces - anywhere from 3 hours to 9 days depending on what expert presents the stats - but it could be that different strains have different survival rates. At least that's what makes sense to me - so if the S strain is the most common then I'd say the surface survival rate would probably be at the lower end of those stats. Does that make sense?

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

7 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

The vaccine they are working on that they hope to release in 2021 - covers both strains. 

I assume it will be a mandatory vaccination, I wonder how the anti-vaxxers will respond to that...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Bro Richard said:

I assume it will be a mandatory vaccination, I wonder how the anti-vaxxers will respond to that...

I've not heard that yet ... too early for instructions in that regard I'm thinking Richard. Of course due diligence will be required on everyone's part to make sure it's a vaccine that is safe. I'm not an anti vaxxer by any means ... except for two that I won't go near ... and this may or may not be a third.

A little bad news ... and this may not be  mitigated by containment ... is the 'theory' that summer calms down the spread - they were hoping that based on the behaviour of other viruses  that summer may see the downturn or even the demise of the virus. It does seem, based on cases in Australia, Thailand, Iran, Egypt and African Countries - that warm/hot weather has not contained the spread of this virus.  I looked back at why they think warmer weather calms viruses and one of the reasons is that during the winter everyone is cooped up inside and that is one contributing factor that makes it spread quicker. So in warmer countries if there is containment subsenquently 'lock-downs' that factor is still going to be present. So I hope in the Northern Hemisphere it does lessen in summer for you all, but there seems too much unkown data here for that to be a guarantee.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."