JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

19 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Respiratory protection requires that the mask has a good seal all the way around the mask to prevent any air from going around the mask. The typical surgical mask does not provide a good seal. 

And as you said earlier in this thread Richard ... not everyone can wear N95's - ironically the ones most at risk who have lung conditions like Asthma or worse - would find it impossible to wear something so airtight because we can't get air into our lungs. You (not being Richard - you people in general) have to realize too ... that many who are wearing them - are wearing them more than once, and not wearing eye protection. Useless using a mask if your eyes are unprotected. 

I think if you have masks already and you have to go where there's a lot of public - ie: Supermarket - it's a good "MENTAL" barrier if everyone else is wearing them because it allows you to fly under the radar ... if you aren't wearing one you are going to stick out.  

The other thing if you insist on wearing a N95 and you have a beard (UH-OH) the beard will prevent it from being airtight. Just saying. 

(Hides).

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

22 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Wonder why it is hitting so hard in rural Italy?  

It's been reported as being there less than a month and the numbers of

confirmed cases and deaths is really high, compared to the rest of the affected regions

that have had the virus circulating longer times among their populations.

Rural?  Lack of access to healthcare providers, maybe?  Older population with chronic health conditions?

36 minutes ago, BibleSteve said:

Sorry but this is just put together by Journalists and I cannot believe the part about wearing a mask is of no benefit, if that is true why do all the medical staff taking swabs from peoples mouths or tending to them in hospital for coronavirus wear them? 

I agree - also CDC and WHO have actually encouraged hand sanitizer knowing that stocks are limited. So people think for themselves, and make something that would substitute especially when you are in public places without running water or soap.  There is a pump soap you could transfer into wee bottles that doesn't lather - thus needing water to wash it off ... if you can't get sanitizer or make it yourself (the ingredients for many to do that is unachievable financially) ... then it's better than nothing and makes you aware of what you are touching.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

17 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

Respiratory protection requires that the mask has a good seal all the way around the mask to prevent any air from going around the mask. The typical surgical mask does not provide a good seal. 

I feel that wearing a surgical mask offers some protection while shopping in a large store..it is not the same as if a person is in close proximity with someone sick, like a nurse would be. Also..a person close to someone sick also needs eye wear, like gogles..Here is what I look like when I get mail from my mailbox..gloves too! I put it in a bag...etc..Not a surgical mask in the picture..charcoal insert though. I tried to wear a mask in the market..someone passed by and muttered.."Caronavirus"!..now I use my little ozone gadget !

20200219_160609-1.jpg

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

26 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

if you aren't wearing one you are going to stick out.  

Even the Awake on Stress shows people wearing the surgical face mask.

Go figure....

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Just now, Bro Richard said:

Even the Awake on Stress shows people wearing the surgical face mask.

Go figure....

They aren't medical experts I guess - and this virus is something new and very different.

21 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

I feel that wearing a surgical mask offers some protection while shopping in a large store..

I agree with you, I suspect that something is better than nothing, however its important for the user to understand the design limits of their PPE.  

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

and this virus is something new and very different.

What does that have to do with a wearing a mask instead of a respirator? 

As I've mentioned before, it would be good for everyone to do their own research and make their own decision without assuming that everyone around them are doing it correctly....

Edited by Bro Richard

Italy is quarantining the whole of Lombardy due to coronavirus.  It's about the size of New Hampshire and about 10 million people live there: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/07/italy-set-to?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

A cruise ship and its passengers are being held off the coast of Florida due to 2 crew members testing positive for coronavirus: https://www.11alive.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/regal-grandprincess-florida-coronavirus-cruise-covid19/67-aff80351-a1bf-45d3-bcab-ee8c64dac220?fbclid=IwAR0qfWQcJvJ4Taxrc1J5-HtFnIOmhsy0LYdsGkLNmX2INoSUUbYTvVeamZs

55 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

wearing them more than once

We already had half a box..before it was announced "don't wear a mask unless you are sick", after getting home from shopping I would spray both sides with silver..

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

On 3/7/2020 at 1:31 PM, AH173 said:

The meeting was very long today.

We had an abbreviated WT Study. 

The letter was in response to what the Branch wrote to the body of elders. It was not read to us.

The poles were used for the mics.

There will be pre and post meeting sanitizing of hard metal surfaces based on field service groups and others who would like to help.

We are not encouraged to panic.

There was a mentioning of the letter from the Branch from last week.

There will be special disinfectant for electronic equipment ( audio mixer, keyboard and etc) provided soon.

We got an increase in our phone line tie in from 25  to 50 individual persons dialing in.

This is based on the 5 congregation operating committee decision to be implemented immediately.

I asked what was in the yellowish spray bottles (for disinfectant) the elder told me it was a bleach solution (during the letter being read it was said not to use on fabrics).

That is pretty much it. It was based on whatever the branch wrote the elders and what the body of elders decide to do in response to that information.

Was there any other congregations who had any announcement besides mine?

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

6 minutes ago, NathanW said:

8ccf65923243923cb8930e654305c0b0.jpg
This is something serious!

Can't tell me Mongolia hasn't got any or Kazakhstan or the other stan countries - or Turkey - Viruses don't recognize borders. Looks like Bolivia, Venezuela, suriname, guyana uruguay and paraguay are immune too. Bulgaria is immune. Moldova is still white too. But otherwise most of Europe is in the red.

Edited by Stormswift

4 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Mine did, and it covered pretty much what your comment said.  They asked for a group of volunteers (15-20 people) to sanitize the KH before and after each meeting.  Unlike other areas, our meetings haven't been cancelled (yet).  

1 minute ago, AH173 said:

Our congregation, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, USA  had a few minutes shaved off our WT comments

to accommodate another coronavirus announcement.  The elder reading the announcement explained the

safety measures again (poles on mics, minimize touching mics, new signs in washrooms stressing the importance of good personal hygiene, listen in on the phones when you are feeling ill) and then said the Organization wants us to review the website's March 3 article:

"Coronavirus Update and Response Consider helpful points that may assist you if you are faced with an outbreak of disease in your area."  https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/global/jw-coronavirus-update-and-response/

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

14 minutes ago, AH173 said:

I think that is being discussed in the other thread.

11 minutes ago, Bro Richard said:

I think that is being discussed in the other thread.

OK. Thanks. I did not think to look for the other thread. I have to catch up on 10 pages of comments.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/07/russia-confirms-four-new-coronavirus-cases-russia-confirms-four-new-coronavirus-cases-a69557

Russia Confirms Four New Coronavirus Cases

"Four new cases of coronavirus have been identified in Russia, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported Saturday.
The new cases take the total number of people who have been infected with coronavirus in Russia to 17, three of whom have since recovered.
Three of the four live in Lipetsk, a city 250 miles south of Moscow, with one in Russia’s second largest city St. Petersburg.
Authorities said all four had returned to Russia from Italy, where there are almost 4,000 confirmed cases of the virus, in the last two weeks.
Russia has introduced mandatory screening of new arrivals from Italy at its airports, and Moscow city has ordered anybody coming to Russia from some of the most-affected countries to self-quarantine for 14 days. The city is using its network of facial recognition cameras to monitor new arrivals and ensure they stick to the quarantine instructions."

14 minutes ago, Lee49 said:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/07/russia-confirms-four-new-coronavirus-cases-russia-confirms-four-new-coronavirus-cases-a69557

Russia Confirms Four New Coronavirus Cases

"Four new cases of coronavirus have been identified in Russia, Russian news agency RIA Novosti reported Saturday.
The new cases take the total number of people who have been infected with coronavirus in Russia to 17, three of whom have since recovered.
Three of the four live in Lipetsk, a city 250 miles south of Moscow, with one in Russia’s second largest city St. Petersburg.
Authorities said all four had returned to Russia from Italy, where there are almost 4,000 confirmed cases of the virus, in the last two weeks.
Russia has introduced mandatory screening of new arrivals from Italy at its airports, and Moscow city has ordered anybody coming to Russia from some of the most-affected countries to self-quarantine for 14 days. The city is using its network of facial recognition cameras to monitor new arrivals and ensure they stick to the quarantine instructions."

Well I'm sure Russia will be onto it - if they have so much extra staff to concentrate on arresting those who go to restaurants or pray in their homes, or attend peaceful meetings I'm sure they have enough staff to track everyone who gets sick. (Said in a very skeptical manner - just for those who are catching flies in the emote section).

Actually might take the pressure off our brothers and sisters - wouldn't that be nice?

Edited by Stormswift

4 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

In NYC - smokers and vapers are being told it makes them more vulnerable.

Like some on social media that don’t take this seriously they probably just 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 it off.

Edited by Loopy

Isaiah 33:24  "And no resident will say: “I am sick.”

The reason why they say masks are not recomended is because it encourages folks to keep adjusting them. How do you do that? By bringing your hands to your face. So you increase the chance of catching things.

The message is dont touch your face. 

Plus surgicalmasks have a short lifespan of protection. 

5 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

No, I don't think so..Gov. Cuomo has been saying this for days in different interviews..here is another source..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/06/new-york-gov-cuomo-slams-cdc-coronavirus-response-absurd-and-nonsensical.html

Thanks for sharing this link.