JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

8 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/man-with-covid-19-ignored-isolation-advice-worked-at-hobart-hotel-and-visited-nightclub-restaurant

Containment, we know, is only as effective as the adherence of  people to self-isolate.

Here is one blatant example of someone in their early 20’s returning from overseas via Singapore, with cold/flu symptoms then confirmed as covid-19, still going out to nightclubs and restaurant, and then a shift at a major hotel 😱😱😡.

I expect many low paid folks will do the same. They reason that they cant afford not being paid, missing rent or mortgages etc.

Should be payment holidays for low paid so they dont have to worry. Wont happen though.

32 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I hear a friend of my friend's friend's friend got it but has kept it secret among JWs (Not towards practitioners)  or that he/she is one of JW. 

Could you please ask how does  he or she feels? How it feels like to have covid19?

29 minutes ago, Mykyl said:

I expect many low paid folks will do the same. They reason that they cant afford not being paid, missing rent or mortgages etc.

Should be payment holidays for low paid so they dont have to worry. Wont happen though.

Valid point and the unions here have brought that up, regarding casual employment. It is too much to ask them to lose 2 weeks work and not be paid sick pay. However, that’s why casual wages are paid more than normal wages. If you want ones to self isolate, they may need some monetary assistance to do that. Imagine the nightmare of trying to pay for that tho!

But this guy also went clubbing and went to a restaurant. 🤔

16 minutes ago, Dages said:

Now, in France, meetings with more than 1000 people are forbidden...

So CAs are going to be cancelled I guess...

Or meet in smaller groups over several weekends

We usually have 800 at ours.

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

14 minutes ago, Dages said:

Our CAs are generally around 1500-2000 friends

It would be nice if branch has a contingency for situations like this. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

11 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/man-with-covid-19-ignored-isolation-advice-worked-at-hobart-hotel-and-visited-nightclub-restaurant

Containment, we know, is only as effective as the adherence of  people to self-isolate.

Here is one blatant example of someone in their early 20’s returning from overseas via Singapore, with cold/flu symptoms then confirmed as covid-19, still going out to nightclubs and restaurant, and then a shift at a major hotel 😱😱😡.

I don't understand if this person was confirmed as covid infected why he was not put in isolation in a hospital..why would he be allowed to be free..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

18 hours ago, Nirex said:

Yeah but does it legit work? Someone not family I talked to immediately went to the FDA site and quoted a bunch of stuff at me that says the FDA has been telling people for years that there's no benefit to the stuff and it does nothing for anyone. Then told me it was just placebo.

I’m sure it woks. If used to wash surfaces: But so does cleaning vinegar. Or is you ingest Enough to turn your organs blue.

56 minutes ago, Dove said:

I don't understand if this person was confirmed as covid infected why he was not put in isolation in a hospital..why would he be allowed to be free..

He was only a suspected case and awaiting the results of covid-19 testing. Looks like he didn't understand the importance of the quarantine.

The student, aged in his 20s, arrived in Hobart on February 26 after travelling from Nepal and Singapore, and suffered cold-like symptoms in the days following.

He was tested on Friday and advised to self-quarantine while awaiting the results.

That night, he went to nightspots Cargo and Obar before working a shift at the Hotel Grand Chancellor the next day.

The man returned a positive reading for the coronavirus late on Saturday.

Coronavirus Australia: 'Did you cough at me?' row on Sydney train - https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-51797751/coronavirus-australia-did-you-cough-at-me-row-on-sydney-train

" A woman's cough on a train in Sydney has sparked a row that's since gone viral on Australian social media.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation journalist Andy Park was sitting near two passengers when they started quarrelling over the woman's coughing etiquette.

Australia has seen an increase in positive cases of the coronavirus in recent weeks, with more than 80 cases and three deaths so far."

2020-03-09_07h15_00.png

5 hours ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I hear a friend of my friend's friend's friend got it but has kept it secret among JWs (Not towards practitioners)  or that he/she is one of JW. 

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, this isn't the discussion for it.  As you can see from the replies, some of the friends believed you were being serious.

Edited by Shawnster

4 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

While I appreciate your attempt at humor, this isn't the discussion for it.  As you can see from the replies, some of the friends believed you were being serious.

I’m sorry if I gave a wrong impression but it’s true that it’s being heard in my area that a few brothers and sisters had already gotten it. 

just not someone I know so out of my authority

Edited by Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual

https://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-claims-no-coronavirus-cases-south-korean-media-reports-more-100-soldier-deaths-1491172

NORTH KOREA CLAIMS IT HAS NO CORONAVIRUS CASES AS SOUTH KOREAN MEDIA REPORTS MORE THAN 100 SOLDIER DEATHS

A Monday report in North Korea's official Rodong Sinmun newspaper detailed Pyongyang's latest efforts to prevent coronavirus taking hold, but claimed: "The infectious disease did not flow into our country yet."

"However, also on Monday, the South Korea-based Daily NK news website claimed that as many as 1,800 North Korean soldiers have succumbed to the virus, with thousands more quarantined."

Citing an anonymous military source, Daily NK reported that a military document stated the soldiers died in January and February and that another 3,700 remain under quarantine. Most of those who died were deployed on or close to the border with China, Daily NK said.

One of the issues is co-morbidities.  Approximately 60% of those living in the US have chronic health conditions that double their risk of dying from COVID-19.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

I wouldn't be surprised at a 3.5% or even 5.0% death rate in the US.  Healthcare exists, and it's pretty good, but  health insurance and costs make it prohibitive and there is a different level of care based on income levels.  

1 hour ago, Dove said:

Self isolation is for early stages. If it progresses and can’t be managed at home, ie breathing difficulties, then hospital is where you go.. Hospitals cannot possibly cope with everyone who gets the virus.  Similar to a cold or flu. Doctors can diagnose and you generally take to your bed to recover. Self-isolation is imperative with this Coronavirus to stop it

From health.gov.au website:

Who should be isolated at home?
Home isolation for people who are suspected or confirmed to have novel coronavirus COVID-19 is appropriate in the following circumstances, if:
• they are well enough to receive care at home;
• they have appropriate caregivers at home;
• there is a separate bedroom where they can recover without sharing an immediate space with others;
• they have access to food and other necessities;
• they (and anyone who lives in the same home) have access to the recommended
personal protective equipment (at a minimum, gloves and mask); and
• they do not live with household members who may be at increased risk of complications from novel coronavirus infection (e.g. people over the age of 65, young children, pregnant women, people who are immunocompromised or who have chronic heart, lung, or kidney conditions).

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2020/03/coronavirus-covid-19-information-about-home-isolation-when-unwell-suspected-or-confirmed-cases.pdf

2 hours ago, Dove said:

If they have minor symptoms its a waste of hospital time to keep them in when others who are seriously ill need beds. However that relies on folks caring about others and actually self isolating. 

The UK is remaining in the "containment" stage of its response to the coronavirus following an emergency Cobra meeting.
Measures to delay the virus's spread with "social distancing" measures will not be introduced yet, ministers decided.

Number 10 said it accepted that the virus "is going to spread in a significant way", however.
Banning big events and closing schools were said to have been considered.

Another two cases of the Covid-19 coronavirus were confirmed in Wales and another five in Scotland on Monday, bringing the UK total to 285, with three deaths.

A European Union expert said the UK had only a "few days" to implement measures to prevent an outbreak like Italy's, which is the worst outside China with 7,375 confirmed cases and 366 deaths.

Edited by Bluebell

50 minutes ago, Tryin'SoHardToBeSpiritual said:

I’m sorry if I gave a wrong impression but it’s true that it’s being heard in my area that a few brothers and sisters had already gotten it. 

just not someone I know so out of my authority

So you heard a rumor and shared it?

I suggest that you make that part of your personal study and prayer. There is a lot of information about how dangerous it is to spread rumors. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Thanks to whoever posted this youtube video earlier. (there have been so many posts on this thread that I couldn't find the post 😁)

It explains the treatment for severe cases of covid-19.

i.e. when we are put on a ventilator for breathing support. (This would be all of the critical cases or 20%)

It also explains 3 medical advances that made ventilator support more effective. (Low tidal volume ventilation, paralysis, and prone positioning.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okg7uq_HrhQ