JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Released": A Book By Thomas Walker

I'm on the 2and book. 1/4 way through.  Love the characters.  Love the brilliant guy Bagley!  As my last name is Bagley😄

Sadly no brilliance here.🙃

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

9 hours ago, GodlyDevotion said:

A tearful ending. A mix of feelings though. At the heart of it, only Jehovah's instructions mattered. Nice story! 

It is.

Spoiler

I was so mad about Hugh and Kasumi... I discussed it with Thomas in PM... Fear of man is terrible... That's why I say : read in with episode 2 first (chronological), it avoid the shattering sadness of the last chapters... 

1 hour ago, Dages said:

It is.

Reveal hidden contents

I was so mad about Hugh and Kasumi... I discussed it with Thomas in PM... Fear of man is terrible... That's why I say : read in with episode 2 first (chronological), it avoid the shattering sadness of the last chapters... 

Very true. How can I read JSY now 😞

34 minutes ago, GodlyDevotion said:

Very true. How can I read JSY now 😞

Spoiler

Jehovah explaining his feelings about the situation was beautifully written... Poor Megan

In a positive way, the lump in the throat :

Spoiler

"And so I ask you now; for once, and for all eternity ahead: What Is My Name?"
"Jehovah!" The crowd shouted.

The ending makes me want to listen to this

Edited by Dages

On 7/14/2020 at 3:16 AM, Dages said:

The problem is energy. In a world where fossil fuel will be way less easy to gather, we won't be able to use as much machinery as we are now.

Mankind has lived for 5800 years without it, and the technological progress was very slow during this time. Energy allows us to become way faster/stronger/efficient, but it won't be as available as it is now.

I picture the first 1000 years as pretty low-tech

Yes, but think about some of our modern tech we have right now. We haven't had it that long, and most of it within this SAME 100 year time span. What could we have accomplished in the same time frame with perfect minds and no death? Besides, solar and wind power seem so much more natural and yet, we are just now starting to harness them.

Edited by JudyO

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

On 7/14/2020 at 6:06 PM, Thomas Walker said:

You guys get through these books so much faster than I do when I'm proofing it.

No no no! FAST is NOT the way to read this last book in the series. I'm taking this slowly, even though I've always been the type of reader to flip to the end of the book first, and then start reading the beginning. But since I know there won't be another (boo hoo hiccup) I don't want this experience to be over too fast. I'm trying to savor it the way it was written.

....Those who seek Jehovah can understand EVERYTHING......Proverbs 28:5. (The possibilities are endless!)

1 hour ago, JudyO said:

Yes, but think about some of our modern tech we have right now. We haven't had it that long, and most of it within this SAME 100 year time span. What could we have accomplished in the same time frame with perfect minds and no death? Besides, solar and wind power seem so much more natural and yet, we are just now starting to harness them.

No death = There is no rush.

wind power isn't recent... In fact it has always been there : windmill, boats... Same with water mill.

Solar yes, but it requires rare elements that aren't easy to gather/mine...

Also it doesn't work during night time... Or when there is no wind... So you need battery (again difficult to create).

9 hours ago, JudyO said:

No no no! FAST is NOT the way to read this last book in the series. I'm taking this slowly, even though I've always been the type of reader to flip to the end of the book first, and then start reading the beginning. But since I know there won't be another (boo hoo hiccup) I don't want this experience to be over too fast. I'm trying to savor it the way it was written.

Oh! it was too hard to read slowly. The suspense was over the top. I dragged myself, begging even to take it slowly, but my curiosity got in the way. I read it in two days, and I think I would have done the same again lol. Brother walker is such a good narrator and has amazing storytelling abilities; I like that. E.K Jonathan has more of descriptive abilities. Both have skills that I admire. 

7 hours ago, Dages said:

No death = There is no rush.

wind power isn't recent... In fact it has always been there : windmill, boats... Same with water mill.

Solar yes, but it requires rare elements that aren't easy to gather/mine...

Also it doesn't work during night time... Or when there is no wind... So you need battery (again difficult to create).

What I personally love about the last book is that humans — nigh perfection and after perfection — seem to rely on their technology. They quickly forgot that Jehovah is our sole protector and safeguard. No technology can match the safety that lies in the house of Jehovah. And I think that's what the author seems to pen in his book. 

Spoiler

The sanctuary seemed to defy common sense where there is the tower that runs on preserver tech — an even better technology than wood. It was a lesson to rely on Jehovah for wisdom, protection, and guidance and not much about what kind of technology would be used. 

I am a believer in technology, too, in the New World. But I agree that the technology depicted in the last book was much Sci-Fi, but not totally unrealistic.

1 minute ago, GodlyDevotion said:

humans — nigh perfection and after perfection — seem to rely on their technology.

Yes, that was extremely clever.

Spoiler

The fake-angel trap from the demon kid... and his satisfied smile seeing Hugh and Kasumi in the crowd... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

2 minutes ago, Dages said:

Yes, that was extremely clever.

Reveal hidden contents

The fake-angel trap from the demon kid... and his satisfied smile seeing Hugh and Kasumi in the crowd... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That was incredibly epic. It nearly broke my heart. I had developed a close bond with both characters; it was hard losing them. 

1 minute ago, GodlyDevotion said:

That was incredibly epic. It nearly broke my heart. I had developed a close bond with both characters; it was hard losing them. 

Same.

I'm thinking about the technology trap for the end of the 1000 years... 

If we get a very low-tech start... we could get a Golden calf problem with technology early after A-day... it's interesting too

4 minutes ago, GodlyDevotion said:

Sorry, I had to put it away. When I feel up to it, I will get back to it. Too much hurt. 
I know it must end well, but...

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

3 minutes ago, Miss Bea said:

Sorry, I had to put it away. When I feel up to it, I will get back to it. Too much hurt. 
I know it must end well, but...

I was in a mess... it's really tough... PM'd Thomas Walker a lot about this. :D 

Continue the story, it's beautiful

Edited by Dages

I wish I could help you, Sister Bea. The story ends beautifully but instills a bitter ending in it. Above all, the author rendered credence to the overall central theme of the book: Vindication of Jehovah's name! 

Spoiler

"This is My name forever, and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

On 7/15/2020 at 5:45 AM, Dages said:
  Hide contents

Jehovah explaining his feelings about the situation was beautifully written... Poor Megan

In a positive way, the lump in the throat :

Hide contents

The ending makes me want to listen to this

I've never seen this book before; is it from 1880?

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

11 hours ago, JudyO said:

I started reading the whole series again, forgot most of it and glad I did so I can be fully invested when I get to the last one. 

I don't peek at the end, I like the suspense!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34