JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

2020 Governing Body Update #5

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 1342 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This!

“ Now, on this topic of food supplies, we’d like to share a reminder: With ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks occurring and, in some cases, reoccurring around the world, we never know when supply lines will falter in our area or when we may need to shelter-in-place for an extended period of time.
So, if possible in your local situation, it would be wise to have on hand a reserve of nonperishable food items and other basic necessities, not hoarding food or stockpiling it unnecessarily, but maintaining a reasonable supply as a precaution.”

We have been advised to have emergency supplies before, but this has a different ring to it.  Think of how in June we were directed by the GB(update 4) not to let our guard down then 3 weeks later the virus greatly increased.  (Matt 11:5)

Nuff said.

This video increased hundredfold my appreciation for being a part of such an amazing organization, it is truly an awesome privilege.  And what an example of courage our dear sisters show!  Virtual hug to all!

Yes, those sisters were amazing. And to think that anyone of our local sisters could be like them.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

What a wonderful organisation we have the privilege to belong to and a living God who cares for our needs in the right time.

Spiritual and physical food is also provided for ...like Jesus who fed the crowds spiritually and physically.

Amazing how they can broadcast in 28 different countries and feed (spiritually)millions and millions of people .

But also relief work that is set up ...no one is left without food .

we may contribute too to support the relief work and we keep our dear brothers and sisters in prison in our prayers .

and I was touched by the fact that the sisters in prison received so many letters of encouragement.

10 hours ago, booboo said:

“ Now, on this topic of food supplies, we’d like to share a reminder: With ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks occurring and, in some cases, reoccurring around the world, we never know when supply lines will falter in our area or when we may need to shelter-in-place for an extended period of time.
So, if possible in your local situation, it would be wise to have on hand a reserve of nonperishable food items and other basic necessities, not hoarding food or stockpiling it unnecessarily, but maintaining a reasonable supply as a precaution.”

This is interesting. We know from comments on this forum that individual Branches have sent out different instructions for building up food supplies depending on local circumstances (2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, depending) but the Britain Branch never made such a declaration, in part because the UK government specifically told people not to stockpile food, in part because the UK and Irish supply chains continued to work just fine (except that people were panic buying things faster than all the 40 foot trucks in the country could bring them to the shops).

But this time there's a worldwide message that it's "wise" to have "a reserve of nonperishable food items". They include not "hoarding... or stockpiling" so they can't have certain Government's coming down on them. This is different. I just don't know how different, as in do we start building up a supply or just that in certain countries they should but others not.

Any opinions?

BTW, if a MOD feels this post belongs in a different thread, e.g. The Mysterious Coronavirus Thread

Spoiler

(aka the mask and quarantine rant thread)

please move it.

But this time there's a worldwide message that it's "wise" to have "a reserve of nonperishable food items". They include not "hoarding... or stockpiling" so they can't have certain Government's coming down on them. This is different. I just don't know how different, as in do we start building up a supply or just that in certain countries they should but others not.

Any opinions?
Keep non-perishable items to last for a few days. Your own government might have some directions regarding how much food and other items you might need should there be an emergency. This is not hoarding or stockpiling. This is good preparation.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

When the quarantine started back in March I started developing a 30 day plan in case  we weren't able to leave the house. We have been slowly adding more nonperishable foods to our supply each time we get food.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Mephibosheth said:

When the quarantine started back in March I started developing a 30 day plan in case  we weren't able to leave the house. We have been slowly adding more nonperishable foods to our supply each time we get food.

We often have "specials" (promotions) with some food going half price, when non-perishable food is marked on sale, and it's good quality - then we buy it. (adding to our supply)

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

We were told to try to stock up for 30 days of food.  I think I have been going overboard.  It was really nice to hear the Update Five where we were given specific instructions not to be hoarding or stockpiling food.  I needed to hear that.  I just wanted to have enough food for everyone that needed it (which is impossible) and it was really stressing me out.  

8 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

This is interesting. We know from comments on this forum that individual Branches have sent out different instructions for building up food supplies depending on local circumstances (2 weeks, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, depending) but the Britain Branch never made such a declaration, in part because the UK government specifically told people not to stockpile food, in part because the UK and Irish supply chains continued to work just fine (except that people were panic buying things faster than all the 40 foot trucks in the country could bring them to the shops).

Any opinions?

BTW, if a MOD feels this post belongs in a different thread, e.g. The Mysterious Coronavirus Thread

Reveal hidden contents

(aka the mask and quarantine rant thread)

please move it.

Some things are getting harder to get a hold of in the UK as well. No main foods so far. Ham and sweetcorn are two that come to mind.  I mentioned to my parents a few weeks ago to put some things by when they purchase food because of this. Just in case. No stockpiling or hoarding. Just wise thinking as mentioned in this update. Easy to do without going overboard.

Edited by Mykyl