JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Russia invades Ukraine

I've seen this being mentioned in several posts.

It seems some are excited about what all this could possibly mean and post in every place they can think of. Well, excitement is good, but high excitement seems to be unsustainable over a long period. This is probably why the slave regularly tells us - our run is a marathon not a sprint.

With love to you all. Remember Gal 6:9:

" So let us not give up in doing what is fine, for in due season we shall reap if we do not tire out."

Here is a nice article:

As Christians, we are in a race—a symbolic footrace. Our focus must be on running to win. Our race is not a sprint in which speed is the key to victory. And it definitely is not a mere jog with frequent idle moments. Rather, it can be likened to a marathon wherein endurance is necessary for victory.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2013202#h=8

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

2 hours ago, Saffron said:

I'm trying to understand all of this, but still can not completely. 

The big vote the other day, almost every country in the world saying thay they do not agree with what Putin is doing, what is this for? Okay, starting war was a bad idea. Now what? Do they expect Putin to suddenly care what anyone thinks and stop? Or now that the vote is complete, they will do something else? 

I'm betting the answers will be no and no. Look at NK.. He recently fired off a missile or two by the way. Can't have Russia take over all the front page news, now can he? 😅

These folks want to be taken seriously, but gestures such as votes, are little more than symbolic. It lets them puff up their chest.  Take that, Putin!  

The megalomaniacs are waking up.  Trump is out.  They will resume competing for the front page headline.

4 minutes ago, Woanders said:

I once was told by a Ukrainian brother in Canada that one doesn’t refer to Ukraine the same one would refer to “the US“. It’s simply “Ukraine.“ 

Oh, good to know .. thx!

I am not sure where the ‘the’ came from… is this a common thing? I feel like I’ve heard it a 1000 times.. but maybe the ol’ brain is playing tricks 

1 hour ago, Susan Cook said:

I’m wondering if a UN update thread would work..  the play by plays of UN minutiae are a bit much 😂

Yeah 😁😁😁

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

5 minutes ago, Susan Cook said:

Oh, good to know .. thx!

I am not sure where the ‘the’ came from… is this a common thing? I feel like I’ve heard it a 1000 times.. but maybe the ol’ brain is playing tricks 

No worries. I think it’s cause we always refer to our geographic neighbors as THE US. *drum roll*

- Read the Bible daily 

Phil.2:5

does anyone have information on how citizens live in russia now, we know that our brothers are banned, but what is life like in russia?
all these sanctions will affect both the USA and the EU, but most of all Russia, the people will be even poorer. rich people will already manage.

48 minutes ago, Woanders said:

I once was told by a Ukrainian brother in Canada that one doesn’t refer to Ukraine the same one would refer to “the US“. It’s simply “Ukraine.“ 

I was just thinking on this and maybe it’s conditioning from not just the US , but also the UK , the UAE etc

38 minutes ago, Woanders said:

No worries. I think it’s cause we always refer to our geographic neighbors as THE US. *drum roll*

Interesting   .    .     We say The US  and The UK ,   but we don't say  The Mexico  or  The Canada.

Is this only with English language?

United Kingdom. United States of America. They are not names as such. They are closer to titles.

Canada, Scotland, Ukraine, England, Argentina, Spain etc are names of countries. So we don’t say the Scotland etc. 

😉😊

Hope that makes sense. 
It makes sense in my head. 

Edited by Mykyl

Think I heard this week on the news: Russia refers to Ukraine as the Ukraine (not recognising it as a legitimate country, but a geographical area), where as Ukrainians refer to their country as Ukraine. 

Does that sound right?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

40 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Think I heard this week on the news: Russia refers to Ukraine as the Ukraine (not recognising it as a legitimate country, but a geographical area), where as Ukrainians refer to their country as Ukraine. 

Does that sound right?

Ohhhh that sounds like a reasonable possibility 

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=702022145&srcid=share

posted just now 🙏🙏❤️

While most of the brothers and sisters have remained in the country, some have made the personal decision to flee. Those fleeing were caught in long lines, some as great as 30 kilometers (18 mi) long, and waited up to three or four days to get through customs. Local publishers searched for their fellow believers waiting in line and provided refreshments and practical assistance. When the brothers and sisters finally crossed the borders into neighboring countries, they were greeted by other Witnesses carrying jw.org signs, ready to provide comfort and practical support.

Edited by Sofia

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

4 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

Oh, good to know .. thx!

I am not sure where the ‘the’ came from… 

Because, before the collapse of the USSR and Ukraine gaining independence, it was referred to as "the." It was a region like "the Baltic" and not a sovereign state like Canada (we don't say 'the Canada.')

On the other hand, perhaps this is just a matter of semantics and, perhaps, pride.  Netherlands is a sovereign state but I've never seen a complaint about saying "the Netherlands." 

:shrugs:

1 hour ago, Dages said:

This said,

While most of the brothers and sisters have remained in the country, some have made the personal decision to flee.

So, there couldn't have been a directive from the branch for all to leave.

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

4 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

Oh, good to know .. thx!

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Interesting   .    .     We say The US  and The UK ,   but we don't say  The Mexico  or  The Canada.

Is this only with English language?

The way I see it (personal thought), Mexico, Canada, Ukraine... are all names of countries, and so don't need the "the" in front. But US and UK are both combinations of words. Therefore, we say the United States of America, and the United Kingdom.

I'm not too sure what to think of Shawn's example of the Netherlands though. This short article about the Netherlands gives one or two other examples.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:45 PM, VisualizeUrParadise said:

I think we are living through somewhere between verse 43 and 44+45 right now.. (of Dan Chap. 11)

And he will rule over the hidden treasures of gold and silver and over all the desirable things of Egypt. And the Libʹy·ans and the E·thi·oʹpi·ans will be at his steps. 44 “But reports out of the east and out of the north will disturb him, and he will go out in a great rage to annihilate and to devote many to destruction.  45 And he will plant his royal tents between the grand sea and the holy mountain of Decoration; and he will come all the way to his end, and there will be no helper for him.

Although our publication explains that the report is hailstone message, that might change.

I don't know what this report is right now (if Putin has heard it already or if it's something that he will hear later)

Maybe he's hearing it right now. USA and his allies are supporting Ukraine in every way possible.

If religion is part of it, then maybe USA might do something to do with the destruction of Russia's religion.

This video on jw.org shows we are at verse :41. As the section ends at :43 - it seems reasonable to conclude we are between :41 & :43 (note: the articles I post after the video confirms that)

https://www.jw.org/en/library/videos/#en/mediaitems/VODBibleAccounts/pub-jwb-080_10_VIDEO

This article from the slave about :44&45 can be found here ->

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2020401#h=24:0-25:453

It puts :44 & :45 as happening AFTER the great tribulation has started and likens these "reports" to our preaching the hailstone message. The GT clearly hasn't started yet as false religion is not being eliminated by the nations.

We are clearly close to the beginning of the GT, but exactly how close? only the passing of time can answer that. Maybe it's in a few months or maybe it's in a few years or perhaps even longer. Fortunately, none of us are trying to win the race for life by sprinting. Instead, we are in this like a marathon - that runs 1,000 years long.

Soon .....