JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Monkeypox Cases

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 608 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/05/18/927043767/rare-monkeypox-outbreak-in-u-k-and-europe-what-is-it-and-should-we-worry
This is a nice overview of the disease and what we know so far. It’s possible we have more person to person transmission this time around. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

It´s again a zoonosis related to promiscuous contacts with animals.

Jehovah adverts so well against sex relations out of marriage, I dont need to say anything else.

By the way, Im a vet.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

True. Monkeypox is spread by rodents.  Once again the plague is spread by those creatures. I’m ok with snakes and alligators but I scream like the girl I am over rats. 

cdc info page

https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/index.html

A case lands Downunder:

"Australia has reported a “probable” case of monkeypox in a returned traveller from Europe.

A man in his 40s developed a mild illness upon his return to Sydney, NSW Health said in a statement on Friday..."

https://7news.com.au/news/public-health/australian-health-authorities-on-high-alert-after-deadly-monkeypox-detected-in-the-uk-and-europe-c-6853466

Old (Downunder) Tone

Looks like Monkeypox possibly a resurge of a new train of smallpox, is the next big one.  Just hoping to get my holiday in before the borders close.  (Chances are they'll be starting "the blame game" (biological weapon released by Russia /China yada yada yada) .... here de go again😣

On the good side there'll be a chance for the WHO treaty to get a dry run.  Dont feel quite so panicked for this coming pandemic (Hope the vaccine against this one will be available in pill form... I hate needles)

Edited by sunshine

“There will be … food shortages and pestilences…” (Luke 21:11)

Study note: Or “widespread diseases; epidemics.”

We’ve barely come out of a major one. Bring on the next one… Now we as a global congregation have the tools to tackle them.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

17 hours ago, JW2017 said:

From first article

As of 24 May, only 15 of 107 community contacts and 169 of 245 health-care workers in the United Kingdom opted to take an MVA-BN vaccine after possible monkeypox exposure during the current outbreaks, according to a report in Eurosurveillance2.

I'm not worried about Monkeypox, but I wasn't worried when Covid started either. We'll see.

22 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

From first article

I'm not worried about Monkeypox, but I wasn't worried when Covid started either. We'll see.

Monkeypox doesn't cause death in most cases but can in certain cases.  However, what concerns me is the scarring which can often include the face among other parts of the body.  I'm also concerned that if my mom got it, she could die because of her health.

2 hours ago, JW2017 said:

Monkeypox doesn't cause death in most cases but can in certain cases. 

But the article you highlighted said 

4.7% of people who have contracted monkeypox across seven countries in West and Central Africa in 2022 have died

That's a high percentage. However the same precautions for Covid should also protect us from Monkeypox (plus our not engaging in immoral behavior also helps.

1 hour ago, Hugh O'D said:

But the article you highlighted said 

That's a high percentage. However the same precautions for Covid should also protect us from Monkeypox (plus our not engaging in immoral behavior also helps.

Oh I forgot that part.  I was remembering another article that I read.  I just got confused.

Edited by JW2017

How old is your mom? If she is old enough to have had the smallpox vaccination, she may have some immunity. Made me feel better when I read about that - since I am old enough ... have the scar on my arm to prove it :yes: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

How old is your mom? If she is old enough to have had the smallpox vaccination, she may have some immunity. Made me feel better when I read about that - since I am old enough ... have the scar on my arm to prove it :yes: 

She is old enough, but she didn't have the smallpox vaccine.  Her mom had her vaccinated for things like measles but not smallpox.

First probable case in Ohio 

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/health/probable-case-monkeypox-ohio/95-330776df-75d8-41b5-8242-c3408791d147

State Health Director Dr. Bruce Vanderhoff confirmed Monday officials have identified a "probable" case of the virus in an adult male resident. He added this was based on "preliminary testing" from the ODH labs, with official national tests still pending.

• 2 weeks later...

Our family doctor told my mom today when she asked about Monkeypox.  That the CDC and WHO and others aren't telling us but it's gays who get it.  The way they have sex is how you get it and it is common for them to have a lot of sexual partners.  He said that we don't need to worry about it.