JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is your weather like today?

• 3 weeks later...

Spent yesterday unblocking the road drains and heaving gallons of water from the path to my parent's house, just so I could get to their front-door without having to wade there where Dad might have unwittingly opened his front-door and let a load of water into the house. :boating::surrender: What a journey to get to them to do housework and ironing (Mother is disabled). They live in the town's valley. Manhole covers in the roads were blown out with the force of rainwater and the drains/manholes were spouting up like fountains and the traffic was being diverted round the lakes in the roads very slowly by the Police with flashing warning signs :exclamation: on their van rooves:

130988=7288-whitehaven mktflood.jpg Whitehaven marketplace. Thankfully, I live on a hill and so is the Kingdom Hall, so OK so far.

130988=7289-whitehavenlibraryflood.jpg Here is the main street, called Lowther Street (after the aristocratic family who used to own the town) where we had to drive, passing the public library (left) and turning here to pass the Police Station, up to our car doors in water! Potato harvest has been ruined here and imported potatoes are twice the price in shops now.

Its almost back to winter. The weather was great for the last 3 days

Was able to enjoy the waves. Now we are back to jackets and loads of rain very strong winds again.:(

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

We had a marvelous Indian summer, almost 120 days with no rain, not at all common for Oregon. The rain started the last weekend of our KH remodel two weeks ago and hasn't stopped and no sign in the 10 day forecast of it letting up.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

On Oct. 15, we got our first measurable snow--4 inches. Since then it has been "severe clear" not a cloud in the sky, but cold. It has been about 20 above during the day but -10 at night. Today the paper said we were 5 inches short of what we should have at this time.

http://www.newsminer.com/pages/full_story/push?blog-entry-Snowfall+so+far+is+5+inches+below+normal%20&id=20597095&instance=blogs_editors_desk

• 2 weeks later...

It's getting brrr chilly around these parts. We had a front from the West that brought tons of rain, and then from the east Hurricane Sandy brought all kinds of rain (basically the front combined with Sandy and then came back over us again).

Wet, cold, but no snow yet, but dreary enough for days on end - enough to drive you nuts.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

On Oct. 15' date=' we got our first measurable snow--4 inches. Since then it has been "severe clear" not a cloud in the sky, but cold. It has been about 20 above during the day but -10 at night. Today the paper said we were 5 inches short of what we should have at this time. [/quote'] This is a picture of jelly fish that I made on Oct 16

132804=7409-222.jpg Here, where I live, we still have so called "Indian summer" too ( for some unknown reasons they call it "women's summer" here :blushing: ) Still warm and pretty nice water for swimming :boating:

"Absolute rubbish”

• 4 weeks later...

More rain and flooding in UK and all the elders are getting 'Relief Committee' letters and asking brothers if they can provide aid or accommodation for brothers in areas where they have been flooded out.

After more rain it was inevitable that this would start happening in our area riddled with 300 years of mining:

Egremont homes evacuated after mine shaft collapses

The site of the collapsed mine shaft on Howbank Road has been fenced off.An 80ft (25m) deep hole has opened up in a West Cumbria street after a disused mine shaft collapsed.

Several homes were evacuated after the collapse on Howbank Road on the Smithfield Estate in Egremont.Cumbria Police has asked drivers to avoid the area but said there were no reports of anyone being hurt.

A bore-hole rig which was being used to examine the shaft fell into the hole. The driver of the rig was still beside it, but was harnessed by ropes to the fence. A man living locally heard his cries and rescued him dangling by his harness in the hole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-20330497

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-20337856

A bore-hole rig which was being used to examine the shaft fell into the hole. The driver of the rig was still beside it, but was harnessed by ropes to the fence. A man living locally heard his cries and rescued him dangling by his harness in the hole.

After reading the article it sounds to me like any one in that area wanting to do gardening needs to either wear a parachute or be tied off to a sky hook

Today the weather is Sunny and Hot. So had to take the car to the Mechanic. Other side of Wollongong. I got train back and got of a station short of where I am suppose to get of. So had a good long walk home with My son. I wish I still had the pram. But Its Too Hot for walking. Then I got to go catch the train over to the girls school and back I am washed out. LOL. Now there is a nice cool breeze stiring up yah.!

"It's a known fact that eighty decibels of rushing water is one of the most pleasing sounds known to mankind. On other hand, ten and a half days at sea is enough water for anybody." 

Today was a two-shirt day. :sunshine: It was hot enough that I had to put on a dry shirt at lunch :sweat: and then drive home with my other shirt less-than-dry. :cry: But, I'll take that over snow any day :thumbsup:

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Dororthy, you don't look like a Polar Bear. How do you manage? My wife would love it and probably be using a fan complaining that it was too warm. HAHA. It must be difficult to keep the house warm enough. Here the power goes out if the temperature drops to 25 degrees because of transformers exploding all over town. We would be having mulitple deaths from the cold if it drops to 0.

One thing that we found when we came up here, is that life goes on (mostly) no matter how cold it gets. Everyone still has to go to work and kids have to go to school. When it gets this cold tho, the Bros. cancel meetings because most of us live out of town and at these temps it's really dangerous if your car quits or you have a flat (which happens a lot when it's this cold) We got about 18" of snow this week and they did close school one day because the busses couldn't get on the back roads safely. We are also in our really short days. On Dec. 21st the sun will be barely above the horizon for 3 hrs 40 min. We build houses up here to be warm. Our house is built with Insulated Concrete Forms (ICF) which is a 6" poured concrete wall between 2.5" foam. We have triple pane windows and 18" of attic insulation. We have hydronicly heated floors which are always warm and comfy! Somebody on a previous thread told about the KH in Joplin. MO being built with ICFs. Tornados can't blow it away! This is the wave of the future (see the web site ARXX.cm)

Mega Hot, Hot, Hot. But we have a cool storm on the way. & some Mangoes and cherries and watermelons to ease the day..LOL

Mega Hot, Hot, Hot. But we have a cool storm on the way. & some Mangoes and cherries and watermelons to ease the day..LOL

Looking forward to a cooler day tomorrow although it's still warm now.

Looking forward to going for a walk tomorrow morning before some association at a local hall with those of us left who aren't on holidays yet.

We are in a weather storm advisory, 100% precipitation 8 to 12 inches of snow, 30f high, 25 f low....starts at 7 pm tonight, we'll be at the meeting then.

Dorothy always has me beat though....unbelievably cold where she is in Alaska. The coldest I remember experiencing is -13 f .....my boots are for -40 just in case ;)

Tepid right now - 71F for a high, 60 F for a low today. Tomorrow night will be cold - 40F and high tomorrow of only 60. Time to bring out the winter coat for Thursday morning!! Nice thing here is it seldom gets below freezing. If it does, it's only for one day and then it warms up to the 60's again. My mind cannot understand -40F! And we "complain" because we only get 10 1/4 hours of sunlight here on 12/21! :offtopic: Oh, wasn't that the day the world was supposed to end???::o

It is snowing really hard right now I can barely see the neighbors house:ecstatic:

That is so cool. We are just seeing some snow flurries, but they melt as soon as they hit the ground.

Have fun and be safe. Think Australia - and summer time :yes:

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

/quote]

That is so cool. We are just seeing some snow flurries, but they melt as soon as they hit the ground.

Have fun and be safe. Think Australia - and summer time :yes:

After a few weeks I get tired of it and want to go down south.But I am still loving it.

It's nice you get to see some snowflakes...I think they are an awesome creation of Jehovah. He put such beauty in the simplest things.

What I really love is going out on a crisp, frost covered night when everything is covered in sparkles, you walk through bare trees that look like glass.

The moon is full and bright.Reflecting off the skaters pond .It is breathtaking. This will not be such a night however,there will be huge snowdrifts , the wind is blowing to hard for the snow to lay in the trees.But it will be great for tobogganing. The snow is like powdered sugar.