JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Songbook: "Sing Out Joyfully" to Jehovah

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2415 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

20 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

Send some this way please...

Everyone will have theirs by next weekend (many this week) and just in time for singing new song formats in January   ...   in the meantime make full use of the monitors as we will be using them even more in 2017!   

...   yearbook to be released also 

1 hour ago, timpin said:

Everyone will have theirs by next weekend (many this week) and just in time for singing new song formats in January   ...   in the meantime make full use of the monitors as we will be using them even more in 2017!   

...   yearbook to be released also 

Everyone in the US.

On 11/29/2016 at 10:01 PM, Tortuga said:

I'm trying to decide if I should get a new songbook for my Emergency Kit....

What if everyone in the basement are singing the new songs and all I have is the old song book???:eek:

I was going to pass on the paper version of the new song book until I read this. I will be ordering it Sunday! Thanks, brother. The days of me memorizing anything are long gone! 

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

On 10/12/2016 at 0:18 PM, Hope said:

Again, to all -- I am well aware of the reasonings and technical details of translating songs, revised understandings, intense consideration by the GB and Writing Committee, etc.  And I don't think other languages need to match English... they can find their own way to express the scriptures.

My only "beef" ( if it's even that ) is the loss of actually singing the scriptures and less lyrical lyrics.  I don't hold song lyrics to the same "I MUST UNDERSTAND IT ON FIRST READING!!!" standard that I do for regular literature (art requires more insight and scrutiny and lyrics paint word pictures. They don't photograph them).  I shall soldier on unconquered, however. :)   Our songs are worship to Jehovah and that deserves my best.

We had a conversation today that involved expanding our understanding of a scripture passage.  A sister suggested the dictionary.  I pointed out that the English dictionary will help us with understanding an English word but may not be helpful in understanding the Hebrew word used in the Bible.  We would need a better understanding of that original word to get a better understanding in English.  I think I lost her somewhere in that discussion.

So I was thinking of your comment, Sr. Hope.  You would like to see the lyrics closer to the scripture rendering.  But that rendering is not Jehovah's original; words, it is only an approximation of the translation in English.  So, if our ancient Hebrew brothers were to join in the conversation, they might take exception to your choice.  THEY might rather see the song's lyrics sung the way the Bible really reads.  So in each language, we have to adapt.  We are comforted by familiar words in familiar scriptures.  Even a simple change in the 2013 RNWT throws me off occasionally.  I still prefer some of the verses in the King James (that I memorized as a child).  Actually, all of us toady, world-wide, have to translate and adjust in each language, including English.  Because Jehovah did not write the scriptures in our language.  Just think how lovely it will be when we can hear the Psalms sung, as originally written.  In the meantime, we have to muddle by with whatever the current version of our translation gives us.

I try to think of the verses as expressing the "sentiment" of the scripture, rather than 'transliterating' it into a song.  I look forward to January.

On 11/28/2016 at 7:59 PM, Sheep said:

Yeah! Now I've got mine, as of yesterday's meeting!

DSCN1734Small.jpg

DSCN1735Small.jpg

(Click on the above images to see the full-sized photos.)

Now, I can't wait to listen to it! :headphones:

Did anyone else get the October 2016 version?

...   mmmmm feels so soft'nsilky ...   just two more weeks and we start singing our new songs! 

Edited by timpin

I'm excited for you guys in the English congregations all around the globe (and I think some other languages with the new songbook). I can almost feel your enthusiasm for singing with the new songbook!!;)

I'm afraid that we have to wait a little bit longer for the Dutch one Good lesson in patience haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Sepie93 said:

I'm excited for you guys in the English congregations all around the globe (and I think some other languages with the new songbook). I can almost feel your enthusiasm for singing with the new songbook!!;)

I'm afraid that we have to wait a little bit longer for the Dutch oneemoji28.png Good lesson in patience haha

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk

You took of my head the same thoughts. ^_^

19 hours ago, timpin said:

Did anyone else get the October 2016 version?

...   mmmmm feels so soft'nsilky ...   just two more weeks and we start singing our new songs! 

I received the songbook with the October 2016 copyright date (large size).  One of the publishers in our congregation got a copy with the last '16-page signature' bound upside down and backwards.  The opening page of song 137 is normal and the next page is the the end of the book (index) upside down.  She has ordered another copy but plans on keeping this one in case it is a rarity.

Edited by jwhess

8 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I received the songbook with the October 2016 copyright date (large size).  One of the publishers in our congregation got a copy with the last '16-page signature' bound upside down and backwards.  The opening page of song 137 is normal and the next page is the the end of the book (index) upside down.  She has ordered another copy but plans on keeping this one in case it is a rarity.

I have an upside down deluxe bible (1984 ed).  Has she tried singing standing on her head.

Sorry about the above post, but it is the only way I can get unused quotes to vacate my post box. :uhhuh:

The songbook will most definitely be a collector's item.  Our brothers and sisters are so diligent, working whole souled for THE bestest Boss in the entire universe.

As close to perfect as they can possibly be...in this septic system of things.^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

The nice thing is that if your hall is equipped with the video monitors then starting the week of January 2nd the songs will be displayed for us to follow along.  That will hold us all over until the physical songbooks arrive.  And of course remember all of the songs are available on our tablets right now. :)

The new songbook will be avalaible in Portuguese to be sung starting from May, 29!

pt.PNG

Edited by Ivine

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life nor angels nor governments nor things now here nor things to come now powers nor height nor depth nor any other creation will be able to separate us from God's love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." - Romans 8:38,39