JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Post a picture... Any picture

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

Guri - why no captions with your pics?

4 hours ago, Guri said:

Hi John, 

I couldn’t think what to title with. They are nice dogs, clever ones though :) 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:39 PM, Guri said:

F6D5C1C6-DBE9-4246-A92E-68C437901003.jpeg

Is that a nice airplane or what?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

7 minutes ago, Guri said:

Sorry I missed your comment/question. Nothing special. :) I like planes thats all. 

My dad loved planes. He'd go to the airport with a thermos of coffee and watch them take off and land. A BIG airport. He loved the sounds they made, such power.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

7 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

My dad loved planes. He'd go to the airport with a thermos of coffee and watch them take off and land. A BIG airport. He loved the sounds they made, such power.

Sister Cheryl,

Wow, nice. :) I too love plane watch. I love how they take off and land. They are great monsters :) The sound and everything, I love it. ✈️❤️

Edited by Guri

Clarification

My Dad was retired from the US Navy (20 years) so we had privileges to shop and such on the base (NAS JAX is where we went) from the time we moved to Florida - that is when he retired.

When I was younger I was not allowed to go into the commissary (grocery store) and had to wait in the car. The building was right next to the air strip. I used to watch some of the planes come and go. They had large, prop transports (this was back in the 1960's) and they had quite a number of fighter jets. They were a training base for fighters so they did all sorts of maneuvers when taking off and landing. Sometimes several of them would take off and land as a whole group - that was interesting.

Later, when I was in my early 20's, I used to have some of those dress shirts that were mostly one color but the light would reflect another color ad certain angles. I some that were basically a khaki color with a slight "army-green" sheen to them. I never did figure out why, but when I wore one of those shirts and my dress pants I would get saluted :shrugs:

By that time, they had built some new hangers just off the commissary parking lot along with a drive-thru plane washing station. Even the really large planes could drive thru.

The new hangers had some rather large turboprop planes - I strolled over to look at one - a possible dangerous thing to do since I was on a Navy Base and risked arrest for entering a "secure" area. I never was arrested. Instead, I was given a few tours of the aircraft and the drive-thru plane washer. One guy took me underneath a bomber with the bomb-bay doors open and explained how the ordinance would be loaded and how things worked. Another time, a guy took me over to a fighter, trainer. The plane had totally blacked out windows! He even let me climb up and look into the cockpit.

Even with all that - I still won't fly ... I don't like heights!

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I hear you John. I fly every December because MH likes to go to Palm Springs, Tuscon or Vegas for a week. I have to take sedatives (natural) to get on the plane. I hate flying. The power scares me.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I know a Brother in a neighboring Congregation that is a private jet pilot. Last I talked to him he was flying back and forth from Ocala, Fl to Jackson, Wy several times a week for some rich guy. I can't remember exactly which plane but something like a Gulfstream G850

2 hours ago, Old said:

Is that a nice airplane or what?

Jet airplanes make me excited for some reason. I hope, if everything goes well, I'll be flying on one next year. Really excited about that prospect.

21 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Even with all that - I still won't fly ... I don't like heights!

It's fortunate that you didn't fall for someone across an ocean, then:sunshine:

Edited by Katty

6 hours ago, Qapla said:

I know a Brother in a neighboring Congregation that is a private jet pilot. Last I talked to him he was flying back and forth from Ocala, Fl to Jackson, Wy several times a week for some rich guy. I can't remember exactly which plane but something like a Gulfstream G850

Wow. Nice! I would love to have private jet! :) 

8 hours ago, Guri said:

Sister Cheryl,

Wow, nice. :) I too love plane watch. I love how they take off and land. They are great monsters :) The sound and everything, I love it. ✈️❤️

You should come and live under the flightpath at Heathrow.  Maybe you would change your mind from the early morning wake-up take-offs over your bedroom, and the constant drone of a plane every 90seconds just over your head and nowhere to get away from it.

1 hour ago, bohemian said:

You should come and live under the flightpath at Heathrow.  Maybe you would change your mind from the early morning wake-up take-offs over your bedroom, and the constant drone of a plane every 90seconds just over your head and nowhere to get away from it.

Probably. :) 

I live between the Heathrow airport and The Gatwick Airport. ✈️—— 🏡 —— ✈️ 

46 minutes ago, EccentricM said:

Become a priest.

Tou made me laugh. :D As you see in above post, there is a brother who has a private jet without being a priest. 😉 So let me dream bro. :) 

16 hours ago, Guri said:

Wow. Nice! I would love to have private jet! :) 

14 hours ago, Guri said:

As you see in above post, there is a brother who has a private jet without being a priest.

You may need to re-read my post ...

23 hours ago, Qapla said:

The Brother who is the pilot does not own the plane - he flies it - the rich guy owns the plane. The rich guy even paid for this Brother to get his helicopter rating because the rich guy also owns a helicopter.

Now, on to other matters ....

23 hours ago, Katty said:

It's fortunate that you didn't fall for someone across an ocean, then

It's kinda funny you say this - because, back in 1973 I went to the International Convention in Hallandale, Fl - that particular Convention was on the visiting list for a delegation from Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark (keep in mind that, on my mother's side, my Great Grandfather was from Norway and his wife was from Sweden - my Grandmother was born on a ship coming across the North Atlantic in 1899) - anyway, back to what I was getting to ... I had the opportunity to spend considerable time with the Brother who was overseeing those delegates, having lunch with them all five days ... and I will have to say, for a pioneer who was in his early 20's and single, I have never seen so many blonde-haired-blue-eyed gorgeous girls in one place in my entire life - and, THEY WERE ALL JW'S!

But, alas, I stayed single and did not pursue any of them - in fact, I should locate one of those threads were I can further explain/elaborate on/describe that experience.

28 minutes ago, Qapla said:

You may need to re-read my post ...

The Brother who is the pilot does not own the plane - he flies it - the rich guy owns the plane. The rich guy even paid for this Brother to get his helicopter rating because the rich guy also owns a helicopter.

Now, on to other matters ....

It's kinda funny you say this - because, back in 1973 I went to the International Convention in Hallandale, Fl - that particular Convention was on the visiting list for a delegation from Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark (keep in mind that, on my mother's side, my Great Grandfather was from Norway and his wife was from Sweden - my Grandmother was born on a ship coming across the North Atlantic in 1899) - anyway, back to what I was getting to ... I had the opportunity to spend considerable time with the Brother who was overseeing those delegates, having lunch with them all five days ... and I will have to say, for a pioneer who was in his early 20's and single, I have never seen so many blonde-haired-blue-eyed gorgeous girls in one place in my entire life - and, THEY WERE ALL JW'S!

But, alas, I stayed single and did not pursue any of them - in fact, I should locate one of those threads were I can further explain/elaborate on/describe that experience.

OH COME ON...... elaborate! You simply cannot do this to us😲, I'll take the heat for:offtopic:

... and I will have to say, for a pioneer who was in his early 20's and single, I have never seen so many blonde-haired-blue-eyed gorgeous girls in one place in my entire life - and, THEY WERE ALL JW'S!

Yep. Start another thread, and see if you locate them now. It would be nice to think they are all still serving somewhere....

Older
{still waiting for the 'Wiser'}

4 hours ago, Qapla said:

It seems that he is very rich. :D 

On 8/26/2018 at 8:07 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Hey! It sounds like your dad and I would get along just fine! Personally, I am a Flight Simulator aficionado. I am known to fly it on my computer sometimes. But if I had the time (and the money), I'd be flying in a real one!

772VEGAS.thumb.JPG.ea02dec7f339e5e0f8f4f8284a496dc3.JPG

A322KLAX.thumb.JPG.12592b7c2830a1c56622d9331dd45911.JPG

B773CYYZ.thumb.JPG.9094b202e570460e15c564942ef6fccf.JPG

EGLLFCRA.thumb.JPG.996d1b9a74683a6e0b5fc9f719def929.JPG

CYYZFMWP.thumb.JPG.6a508bd24e4b511da2c2df854c4a6180.JPG

(No, I don't get a commission from Air Canada. I'm just a Canadian.)

My dad was a pilot in the Fleet Air Arm .. flying section of the British royal navy.  He used to fly harrier jump jets off and on aircraft carriers and he flew Wyverns in the Suez crisis back in the 50's.  He moved to S.Africa in the mid 60's (my parents were divorced) and flew helicopters for a company that transported animals to zoo's all over the world and needed to tranquilize the animals for capture which they did from the air. He then moved to Zimbabwe where  he was involved with setting up the flight path for Qantas to fly between Harare and Perth, which unfortunately no longer exists.

All this talk of planes and helicopters just made me think of him so sorry if this is somewhat off topic .. kind of related though.  He died in 1990 at the age of 58 from a brain aneurysm.

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.