JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 593 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

On 9/12/2017 at 8:09 PM, richietj77 said:

BA email arrived today!!!! :ecstatic:
Accounts... linked (with some troubleshooting, nothing major)

Name... Text messages... Emergency contact... OK
Skills.... woa... This is going to take time...

But still, it's for Jehovah! It's the best life ever!

BA?  :confused:

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

3 minutes ago, Old said:

BA?  :confused:

Read on....

BA=Builder Assistant.  The LDC program used to schedule and notify volunteers.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

:D:D Tortuga, you are terrific my Brother. Okay. I must confess and I hope you find this hilarious. I was approved in May, but discovered the email notification in October. I was doing the cart work with another sister who applied and I ask her for the status and she said she received her approval. I am old fashion as I thought since I applied by paper copy, I too should have received a letter from the mailman:unsure::unsure:. The coordinator sat down with me and he did his part of the process. I will follow your detail instructions and hopefully with the aid of the sister, I will receive my welcome login.  Thank you! Thank you! Agape. :infatuated:

A comment was made by one of our brothers last night about our relief work.  

I would like to hear more about it but he left with his family as soon as the meeting was over so I did not have a chance to inquire. Perhaps someone else can add to it. 

Brother  D. said he was visiting with a brother from Missouri who said he just got back from a building KH project in Witchata,  and it was the best he had ever been a part of!  He said that the organization is now teaching the different jobs using the the same technique.  They want to implement the same technique worldwide!  He said they finished a HUGE parking lot with NO power tools!  I can not recall the names of the tools but he broke it down for us by saying no power equipment used to finish the concrete, or paint the stripes, or build the curbs!  He said the thought was that many places do not have access to such tools, and at times electrical source so they want to teach no power tools method to all!  ----our chairman conductor meeting last night is a mere 25 years old.  He smiled broadly at this comment and said 'Wow!  We're rocking it old school style.'  I just love my congregation! 

Edited by LeslieDean

Misspell

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

There is no real need for power equipment when finishing concrete. You could even make the concrete without power tools but, in most cases, I would imagine it would be delivered ready to pour from a concrete company.

As it is poured, it is worked and "walked out" by those in rubber boots. Once it is spread it is screeded. This is done with a long, straight object - like a 2x4 or metal screed. After this, it is "floated". This is done with a "bull float" for large slabs like a driveway or parking lot. As it sets, the edges at troweled with some sort of finishing trowel, depending on the edge desired.

Once set to the proper extent, it may also be broomed to get a less "slick" surface. This is common for sidewalks.

All of this can be done without power and often is even on jobs where power is present.

For large slabs there are powered screed machine. SOme you walk behind, like a floor buffer, and some can be ridden on (you can see some of those on one of the Warwick Update videos)

There are some jobs that power needs to be present for - like the audio/video system. It is a little difficult to test out the sound and TV's without power.

We have an older Brother in our Hall (in his early 80's) that can still use a "bull float" and leave a finish so smooth it almost looks polished.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

We have an older Brother in our Hall (in his early 80's) that can still use a "bull float" and leave a finish so smooth it almost looks polished.

Remarkable for a bull float, I always used a trowel to get a polished finish, but then again I was never much of a concrete man. I wonder how Rocket finished his slabs?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2017 at 3:08 AM, Qapla said:

:thumbsup:

Great to hear!

Maybe I will get an invite to work 

:bouncing:

I met a couple today that just graduated from SKE at WEC-FLORIDA, the brother told me it will be closed for a year. There is a major renovation scheduled,  a lot of HVAC work and they will expand from 5 classrooms to 7.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

On 10/31/2017 at 10:24 PM, Tortuga said:

We are installing two 70 inch monitors in the AH classroom this week. The WEC-Florida is scheduled to have some work done this spring so two SKE classes are scheduled for our AH and the monitors are replacing the two large whiteboards.

Today we added electrical outlets to the classroom tables and added a push-to-talk microphone system with 25 microphones to the sound system.

We just received an invite and confirmation to assist in the carpet for the major renovation of the Crawfordville, Fl KH. We will be doing that in late December

• 1 month later...

I was also invited to work at Crawfordville for "Low Voltage" (sound/security/video) and was there Friday and Saturday.

There ended up being more help than was needed so I was "lent" to Electric. I spent Friday hanging LED lights in several of the rooms. They were a bit hard to hang because they are not really designed for suspended ceilings - but, they work.

All of the lights used in this Hall are LED.

On Saturday, we installed the few remaining lights that needed to be on the outside and then I helped with the lights on the sign. All of the perimeter exterior lights, as well as the ones on the sign,  are on one circuit  :eek: and controlled by a single photocell:eek::eek: In order for them to test the exterior lights and the photocell we disconnected the feed to the sign while we installed those lights (after we were finished, we reconnected that feed). Just as we were finishing up, the Brother who was installing the photocell came and told us that he had tested the load of the lights on the circuit (he measured the resistance in ohms). All of the lights combined, not counting the sign, only came to 2 ohms. We calculated the load of the four lights we put on the sign to be less than ½ ohm.    

That means that ALL the outside lights combined, including the sign, will use less than 3 ohms:eek: What a tremendous savings in electric this will be!  :thumbsup:

I will be returning to that Hall this weekend for flooring.

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Just as we were finishing up, the Brother who was installing the photocell came and told us that he had tested the load of the lights on the circuit (he measured the resistance in ohms). All of the lights combined, not counting the sign, only came to 2 ohms. We calculated the load of the four lights we put on the sign to be less than ½ ohm.    

That means that ALL the outside lights combined, including the sign, will use less than 3 ohms:eek: What a tremendous savings in electric this will be!  :thumbsup:

I will be returning to that Hall this weekend for flooring.

It is good to remember that the "cold" resistance measurement is a LOT lower than the operating resistance (when the current is flowing producing heat).  Two or three ohms on a 120 or 240 volt circuit is almost a dead-short.  Sorry...Just falling back into my College Professor role for a minute.  ...:D

Edited by jwhess

That may be, but, I believe he made the measurement under load - I do know that the ohm rating for the lights we put in on the sign was listed as actual current draw under load.

They were checking the load on many of the circuits since using all LED lighting and a few other things that were done are new to this area.

I am sure the electrical savings will be  significant.  Forgive my math predilection.  Current = Voltage / resistance.  120v /2 ohm = 60 amp draw.  I trust the work done by our faithful brothers and our current focus on using dedicated funds wisely.  The LEDs will be a welcome addition, I am sure.  Congratulations on another job well done.  Love to all.

Yes, that is the purpose of the photocell.

On other Halls I have worked on they either had a photocell on each light or needed more than one to handle the load  -  that is why it was interesting that they were able to use only one photocell for all the outside lighting.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:11 PM, Qapla said:

Like jwhess, I got confused about this, too. Three ohms on a 120 circuit would draw 40 amps of current. Ouch.

I wouldn’t normally measure the resistance of incandescent bulbs, as you’re measuring the filament while it’s cold. It’s resistance increases dramatically when heated up. So, the best way to measure power consumption it by using a clamp meter while it’s on and measure the current draw.

For LED lights, most have a built-in inexpensive power supply to reduce the voltage requirements. Again, measuring the resistance doesn’t give you the full story, as the current is passing through semiconductors, particularly diodes, that require a forward bias to turn on. In other words, at a low voltage it will measure a high resistance. At a higher voltage (depending on how many diodes and LEDs are in series), it will start to turn on and measure a much lower resistance. As in the other cases, the easiest way to measure consumption is via amp meter when on.

I know the brothers know what they are doing. There’s probably just some details missing and I’m making a big deal out of nothing. :lol:

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

I envy the work you brothers do on the LDC. Hearing about all that’s being done is very encouraging. :wub:

Wish I could be there!

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

We will be heading back to that LDC project tomorrow afternoon. My Brother, oldest Daughter and me will be staying at a Brother's house overnight. Then, Thursday we will start with the flooring install.

We are scheduled through Saturday - but, we cannot imagine it will take that long. If we are done early, we will head home. Either way, we will stay until all the flooring is installed.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)