JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 572 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

13 minutes ago, Old said:

Excess congregation funds are sent as a contribution to the World Wide Work. Locally we passed a resolution to provide a five figure contribution to the World Wide Work at our last midweek meeting.

That is a little different than what I've experienced. My hall hasn't had five figures in the bank/FoD accounts in over ten years, and the monthly donations are usually in the mid thee digits (with expenses in the low four digits). While we do have a resolution for funds sent to the WW, that amount is about $75/mo, any more and we would risk overdraft fees.

49 minutes ago, Old said:

I think we are talking about two different arrangements here. Our small congregation are excelling givers. We accrue several hundred dollars per month in extra KH contributions. Since we don't need these funds for congregation expenses they are extra. Extra funds are defined by the branch as those funds that exceed three months or so operation expenses. It has been requested that such funds be transferred, not loaned, to the World Wide Work, these funds are not repayable.

Funds sent, on deposit, are special funds deposited with the Branch for the branch's interim use. Such funds can be returned to the congregation when requested. If a congregation is planning to buy property for a new KH (With the blessing of the LDC), these saved funds are sent to the Branch, on deposit, until they are needed locally, and they are then returned on request.  Individuals can also participate in providing temporary funds to the Branch for their interim use and those funds will be returned on request.

Having these funds on hand provides millions of dollars of operating funds for day to day theocratic business, in much the same manner as banks use your deposit for operating expenses as well as keeping assets at a required level.

Excess congregation funds are sent as a contribution to the World Wide Work. Locally we passed a resolution to provide a five figure contribution to the World Wide Work at our last midweek meeting.

From just being assigned the accounts, this information is discussed in paragraph 4 for Funds-on-deposit arrangement.

The funds may not be "repayable" as you say but they can be "requested" back by a decision from the local body of elders.

Part of the suggested resolution was mentioned "...It is understood that whenever a need arises for these funds, the elders may request that the funds be returned"

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

The language on refundable funds has changed somewhat since I have been involved directly. Does the language still

15 minutes ago, AH173 said:

From just being assigned the accounts, this information is discussed in paragraph 4 for Funds-on-deposit arrangement.

The funds may not be "repayable" as you say but they can be "requested" back by a decision from the local body of elders.

Part of the suggested resolution was mentioned "...It is understood that whenever a need arises for these funds, the elders may request that the funds be returned"

include personal monies sent on possibility of return on request?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I don't know all the particulars about the arrangement, but as far as congregation funds on deposit, the information that is there shows that it could be simply "requested" back based on a body of elders decision. I don't know about individuals though even though I think it's in the November Watchtowers when it discusses the contributions publishers can make. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

The personal arrangement is called "conditional donation" and is a trust agreement. The funds are used in the worldwide work. Request for return of part or all moneies is for the donator's personal needs only. My husband and I have had such an account for 29 years, during which time we,

from time to time, added funds to the account. It brings us joy knowing our funds may be of help to our brothers and sisters. We hope to never ask for money back, but since we have no children or relatives in the truth, the funds are there for us in an emergency. :)

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Tomorrow we finish up an LDC project on a local KH complex. It's a double hall next to the AH and all of the carpet is being replaced. The carpet was glued down on concrete so we spent Thursday removing all of the chairs and tearing up the carpet in both halls, the librarys, conference rooms and lobby area then we spend most of Friday scraping the floors by hand to get the adhesive off. The brothers left the wedge anchors for the seats in place so the bolts were sticking up making it pretty tricky to move around and work. 

We installed the carpet in one hall on Friday, going over the bolts. I didn't work Saturday but they installed the carpet in the other hall and put the seats back in place. The project is scheduled for Monday so I'll find out what's left to do.

The sisters had a full share working...

59ac46605793b_KHCarpet.thumb.jpg.83638103abe150fcc90ec7ffa7df7f81.jpg

( Old - this might look familiar to you, this was the hall they used for your daughters SKE graduation )

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 minutes ago, Qapla said:

Did they use lock-dots to put the carpet down 

I'm not familiar with lock-dots so I'll say no. They left the wedge anchors in place and reinstalled the carpet like lino, they carefully rolled it over the studs, folded it back on both sides to glue it, double cut the seam and then flipped back and glued the other half of the carpet.

EDIT: I looked up Lock dots. No, it wasn't carpet squares and they used mastic.

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

OK, so it was roll-goods (broadloom) not carpet squares.

Lock-dots are used for carpet squares.

They "rolled" the adhesive, not trowels?

Interesting ....

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Just now, Qapla said:

OK, so it was roll-goods (broadloom) not carpet squares.

Lock-dots are used for carpet squares.

They "rolled" the adhesive, not trowels?

Interesting ....

Did I say they rolled the adhesive? Sorry about that.

They carefully rolled the carpet out over th studs like a man sleeping on a nail bed and then flipped back about half of it lengthwise and troweled the adhesive.

That sounds about right ....

I will say, since I have now done some of the carpet squares, I do like that method - especially with the LokDots

It is good that you got a bargain.

That said, on an LDC project, we use what the Branch sends - and that was LokDots - from Shaw Carpet. (Interface does make "TacTiles). The carpet was also from Shaw. Since the Branch buys on a "National Buying Contract" basis, they may be getting an even lower price than you could get elsewhere. Even if they don't, by using what the carpet maker supplies, we make sure that all warranties remain intact.

And, yes - they do work great. It was much faster, easier and cleaner using the LokDots than the one I did just before that where we rolled the adhesive on the floor.

Edited by Qapla

On 9/4/2017 at 8:37 PM, Qapla said:

It is good that you got a bargain.

That said, on an LDC project, we use what the Branch sends - and that was LokDots - from Shaw Carpet. (Interface does make "TacTiles). The carpet was also from Shaw. Since the Branch buys on a "National Buying Contract" basis, they may be getting an even lower price than you could get elsewhere. Even if they don't, by using what the carpet maker supplies, we make sure that all warranties remain intact.

And, yes - they do work great. It was much faster, easier and cleaner using the LokDots than the one I did just before that where we rolled the adhesive on the floor.

Q, are you in the trade as well? There have always been a lot of brothers in flooring. I remember doing a double-stick job for the back offices at Dodger Stadium. It must have been tied-in with our use of the venue for District Conventions. You probably noticed in last week's (9-03) Watchtower, the image on page 7, the arm superimposed with volunteer workers, shows the brothers laying carpet tiles at Warwick.

I installed carpet/flooring for a living for 20+ years and I still do flooring with the LDC. I worked 1 week in Warwick in flooring.

I also do Audio/VIdeo and Irrigation for the actual build/remodel

If needed, I also operate an excavator.

2 hours ago, Doug said:

As I've said before; Once in the flooring trade - there's no escape.

You aren't kidding. I did flooring for a couple of years almost 40 years ago and last weekend I was eager to help replace the carpet at a double KH. The smell of carpet gets in your blood...

My wife was scheduled to make lunch for the AH maintenance workers today. Just the landscape crew was scheduled so we were expecting about 10 people. A couple of days ago we were told that one of the LDC Field Reps was having a meeting today so we would be feeding 70 people.

Yesterday a sister joined us and we spent the day at the AH kitchen making 100 burritos. Today we served burritos, salad and homemade desserts, then cleaned the kitchen and dining room.

It's been a full LDC day....:)

Edited by Tortuga

:confused: ROD :confused:
Revised Organized to Do (ROD) God's Will
Screenshot_20170909-082119.jpg63eb35667227889e12c99646fa30a3ce.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Revised Organized to Do (ROD) God's Will
Screenshot_20170909-082119.thumb.jpg.51e57bcc7a68f17d279e9f6253f704f6.jpg63eb35667227889e12c99646fa30a3ce.jpg&key=7568272736767fcd705ae9869001688042b548b8a57523d10e8a2cdf44cef849

I did see some green OD books Thursday night...

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)