JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 601 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

• 2 months later...

Our Tuesday meeting our elders proposed a resolution for $8.5k for 2 65 inch monitors and supplies for them. Resolution approved by baptized publishers. The work may start in 2 weeks. 

I thought this was the topic where some costs of items like that was discussed? I guess I'll still look for it later. Or maybe it was the older rbc topic? I can't recall. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

5 hours ago, AH173 said:

Our Tuesday meeting our elders proposed a resolution for $8.5k for 2 65 inch monitors and supplies for them. Resolution approved by baptized publishers. The work may start in 2 weeks. 

I thought this was the topic where some costs of items like that was discussed? I guess I'll still look for it later. Or maybe it was the older rbc topic? I can't recall. 

$8,500 US for 2 65" tv's - ( C$11,500 )   hummm. They are less expensive in Canada. Do Not Get 4K. The difference between 4K and HD is not noticeable past 1 1/2 times distance of the size of the screen. e.g. 65" tv past 97" from TV you will not see any difference.

Now there are coming TV's that are classed much higher resolution ( can't remember if it is 8K or 12K - maybe similar to 4k UHD or what ever it is called ) which doesn't have that limitation.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

6 hours ago, AH173 said:

$8.5 K seems  high. We are looking at less than $5,000 for two 65" and one smaller library unit.

What area of pricing are other congregations coming up with?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Oh it is probably ... Redoing the whole system ... We put in new monitors ..also new wiring.. New iMac computers.. New monitors at sound desk.. Etc

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

On an another issue ..Is it just me or is LDC sort of slow getting off the ground.. Or is it that all energy and resources seem to focused on finishing the new headquarters... In my area of Canada we have had two small KH built.. And one small Reno. Which is about 1/10 speed that we were going at...

My nephew-in law is in Puerto Rico repairing KH's so that area seems to be moving forward..

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

It does seem a little slow. Part of the problem is getting enough qualified brothers into the program. In times past I have seen very willing, but of poor skill level brothers being used for things like site work, roofing and sheet rock, painting, trades that don't require a license or an apprenticeship. Quality was often very poor. Now the call is for brothers with professional skill levels. It would seem to me that submitting the exact same new monitor system that is on the diagrams from the Branch should be a rubber stamp operation,  in Monday out Tuesday,  but that is not the way it is working.  I expect the pace will pick up before long as everyone gets use to the new arrangement and all the chairs get filled.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Also, remember that LDC covers the Maintenance crews as well.  There are Kingdom Hall appraisals (checking the building and property) and the maintenance training operations too.  These LDC programs are all encompassing, property acquisition, paperwork and permits, site prep,  ordering and logistics, building and construction, finishing and then the follow-up parts (maintenance, upkeep and remodel).  Plus we are expanding into Audio/Video Digital features that were never installed before.

This is a lot bigger scope than the old 'quick-builds' or RBC programs.

13 hours ago, AH173 said:

I forgot to mention.... It's a double Kingdom Hall. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Ah... Big difference.. Such a deal...

One year ago, we bought 2 x 65" TV's for our hall $2,500. They were plain, basic HD TV's with no smart TV features.

It cost about $900 for the HDMI switchers and repeaters and cables.

We decided that HD TV resolution is sufficient as the monthly broadcasts from JW.ORG are only in 720P resolution. 

5 hours ago, WilliamChew said:

One year ago, we bought 2 x 65" TV's for our hall $2,500. They were plain, basic HD TV's with no smart TV features.

It cost about $900 for the HDMI switchers and repeaters and cables.

We decided that HD TV resolution is sufficient as the monthly broadcasts from JW.ORG are only in 720P resolution. 

Attended a memorial in Kirkland WA today, they have two 65inch TVs, really nice. Can't wait till we get ours.

Guess I will wait even if I can't.

We have a 65" at home. Got it for watching the broadcasts. Took advantage of "Black Friday Sale" and ony paid $600 for it

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Large TV's on sale this week at Tepperman's ( Windsor & Sarnia, ON are border cities ) Canadian dollar is about 76 cents to US dollar. Thus C$2700 = approx US$2050. The 70" is 4K but would work fine in my living room as 1 1/2 X 70"=105" distance to notice the difference. Tepperman's is Not known for being the least expensive, however most Ontario, Canada people can finance there.

Tepperman's TV April016.jpg

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Would the direction from LDC or Branch would be to use commercial type monitors. 

2 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Would the direction from LDC or Branch would be to use commercial type monitors. 

There is information provided to the servants describing the equipment and the cabling and switching.  There are options on how to purchase these items.  I am sure our brothers will will follow the suggestions (directions?) from our loving organization.  We all try  to be faithful in what is 'least'.

33 minutes ago, AH173 said:

Our ldc recommended TVs, good price break.

I guess I'll know what type of monitors we get in a week and a half. Looking forward to assisting the crew to install them. :D

An original form was placed online for the congregation in October last year.  Log in, go to <documents> <forms> and in the date box choose ON 12-25-15 and press search.  The form titled 'Kingdom Hall Video Systems' will appear.  It was updated in March (last month).

The  new header notes (as follows):

NOTE: This item has been flagged as updated to make you aware of the following changes: The section Equipment Configuration Instructions was added. Additionally, the documents Video System Recommended Equipment List (English and Spanish), the Portable Video System Recommended Equipment List and the ASL Video System Recommended Equipment List, have been revised.—Added 3/24/16.

1 hour ago, jwhess said:

An original form was placed online for the congregation in October last year.

Thanks for the reference, I'll try to get a copy of that list.

Sorry if some of my comments seem a little off, since usually anyone who would need that list would already have access, but my situation is very odd. I have never been an elder or MS, yet I have been on the operating committee for just over a year, so at each operating committee meeting I need to bring a list of references/questions for the chairman to look up the documents and print out copies, so unless I ask the right question or I hear something from someone in another congregation/LDC, I tend to be about a year behind on the instructions.

6 hours ago, Stavro said:

When we installed TVs at my hall, LDC said that any project under $5,000 should be handled locally. Has that changed, or are these high-cost projects? (Our screens/wires/equipment cost ~$2000.)

The 5000 dollar ceiling is what we thought also. However when the LDC met with our dual body they said they need to approve.

it, small point to argue about so we sent them the info plu the resolutions. 

They may have responded by now. I have been out of town.

On 4/10/2016 at 0:36 AM, AH173 said:

This article may be interesting:

The Top 5 reasons to buy commercial grade screens for digital signage
http://www.samsung.com/us/pdf/knowledgectr/Why_Buy_Pro_WhitePaper.pdf?INT=us:pdf:knowledgectrpd_whitepapers:pos3:whybuycommercialscreens

Top 5 reasons to go commercial
1. The enclosures.
Commercial screens enclosures have been toughened to withstand the “elements” involved in deployments. 

2. Inputs

3. Heavy-duty hardware means a longer lifespan
Consumer screens in people’s homes are turned on anywhere from one to eight hours a day, and serious TV watchers or gamers may even have them on for 12 or more. But, many deployers demand 12-15 hour days out of their screens and locations like airports may never turn the screens off. 

4. Warranties

5. The extras – Glass, clocks, air-conditioners…and the list goes on.

After reading the article, it looks like the kingdom hall environment is not so demanding of the TV so as to require a commercial grade monitor.

Commercial grade monitors would be the right choice if on for hours and hours a day or where installation conditions demanded something robust.   Even in a hall that is used every day you are looking at a couple of hours a day pretty much (bit more on Sunday).  They are installed in open areas with good ventilation.  Your TV at home is likely on more often.

The only other thing about commercial grade kit is control.  Typically they are better suited for IP/RS233 control which makes automation easier but again this is hardly a problem in a typical hall environment.  I would love to see a neat control system with an AMX/Crestron box at the heart of the system but the technical overhead starts to exceed the benefits in our halls.

About JWTalk.net - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Since 2006, JWTalk has proved to be a well-moderated online community for real Jehovah's Witnesses on the web. However, our community is not an official website of Jehovah's Witnesses. It is not endorsed, sponsored, or maintained by any legal entity used by Jehovah's Witnesses. We are a pro-JW community maintained by brothers and sisters around the world. We expect all community members to be active publishers in their congregations, therefore, please do not apply for membership if you are not currently one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

JWTalk 23.8.11 (changelog)