JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

September Broadcast

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2755 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Honest question --  why is it viewed so negatively if one has information and wishes to share it as soon as they can? :(  For myself, I'm NEVER trying to show off or "get ahead".. I'm just excited and wish to share.  It never occurred to me that anyone doing likewise was trying to draw attention or get kudos for being "first" or something... I don't think my friends are so immature.  I'm a big giver of benefits of doubt. :) 

It feels so hurtful to think that the desire to share information is so often viewed as a cry for attention.  I'm actually even thinking about those videos posted on YouTube.  CAVEAT:  There may, indeed, be nefarious reasons behind someone doing that and I do NOT think it's a good idea, as well as in opposition to what the Slave has repeatedly admonished.  That said, however, at it its essence, I've never really considered the person making spiritual food available (even thru unauthorized means) as having drawing attention to himself as his main inspiration.  If the content is unaltered, the content is still good.  Right?

Of course, "spoilers" don't bother me.  No one can spoil spiritual goodness for me.

Edited by Hope

4 minutes ago, Hope said:

Honest question --  why is it viewed so negatively if one has information and wishes to share it as soon as they can? :(  For myself, I'm NEVER trying to show off or "get ahead".. I'm just excited and wish to share.  It never occurred to me that anyone doing likewise was trying to draw attention or get kudos for being "first" or something... I don't think my friends are so immature.  I'm a big giver of benefits of doubt. :) 

It feels so hurtful to think that the desire to share information is so often viewed as a cry for attention.  I'm actually even thinking about those videos posted on YouTube.  CAVEAT:  There may, indeed, be nefarious reasons behind someone doing that and I do NOT think it's a good idea, as well as in opposition to what the Slave has repeatedly admonished.  That said, however, at it its essence, I've never really considered the person making spiritual food available (even thru unauthorized means) as having drawing attention to himself as his main inspiration.  If the content is unaltered, the content is still good.  Right?

Of course, "spoilers" don't bother me.  No one can spoil spiritual goodness for me.

Perfect! This is also my thinking. 

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

Not at all, but perhaps it might be a good idea to have such a system in place.

Please start a new topic with your suggestion and get some feedback on it.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Brother Andrej is confirming what I'm going to a 6 month computer Certification course for. 

If one understand how to access files from a public server (where the digital files are at and being staged for broadcasting to other servers for public consumption) using logical means (the logical and sequential naming of files)  that the organization uses,  then that's how public internet based material is disseminated for the masses. 

It's not a bad thing to access before it's released to  the general public. It's not hacking, it's not accessing data that is encrypted and secured. 

I think the Scriptures clearly show that- if what others do bothers or offends them but not a Scriptural law or principle breaking - that person or group of persons need to make their own decision while not demeaning or imputing bad motives on others. I would think that is clearly shown in the Bible. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, marcusth said:

Seeing it from the other side though- I guess the question is why (by providing the links) why do some feel they have to be first - or get ahead of others?

I don't think that's correct because this isn't like going into a row to enter the restaurant (Richard's illustration) ahead of the others... The Restaurant is open earlier for everyone who wants to go there... And everyone can enter with no row... There isn't the concept of ahead of time here... It's like one entering the supermarket and watching the owner putting in the shelf some new product. Now he didn't put this new product in the catalog  yet because he is waiting to fill all the shelves first... But if you are there you can pick one and take it... The owner isn't going to say to you that you must wait the catalog. Otherwise he would fill the shelves while the store was closed and not while it is open... Some people like to watch the shelves,  others just wait to see the catalog with its beautiful colors... 

1 hour ago, Hope said:

I'm absolutely against putting our videos on YouTube. Even if the information is inaltered (in this case why do it?) is like taking the plate with the food from the spiritual table where there is all sorts of spiritual food and putting it in a table where there is all sort of garbage an rotten food around... Is it the same eating the same food on both tables? 

Not to mention that by doing it,  they are explicitly going against the FDS admonition! 

Everything on a website is logged.. When Who What was downloaded ..

So the IT dept at Bethel is very well aware of this happening in fact they know the second it happens..

and what IP address is downloading it...

One directory change and it disappears.. Entirely their decision.

Albanian seems to always be  the first language uploaded ...( alphabetic sequence) So I guess we could complain why are they always first ... Especially if you speak Zulu.

Frankly a tempest in a teapot,  it is only a matter of hours and all of Jehovah's children in what ever time zone gets the opportunity to view it ... For some it may arrive incovieniently at 3 in the morning  for others just when they sit down for family worship...

No ones starves for lack of available spiritual food.. Just don't rub it in people's faces that you have got something they don't have by a couple of hours....

Not exactly a mature reaction...:)

Zeph 3:17 Jehovah your God is in the midst of you. As a mighty One, he will save. He will exult over you with rejoicing. He will become silent in his love. He will be joyful over you with happy cries....... Love it....a beautiful word picture.

You could perhaps wet their appetite a bit, and show them how to get it themselves. Back when you had to wait for publications to arrive at your Kingdom Hall, some areas got the publications before the rest, not to mention if you took a trip to Bethel and you could get the material fresh off the presses. You could not wait to show others what was I store for them. Not once did the bethelites ask the visitors not to show the material to their friends. It was different with convention releases. They were always quickly boxed up and sent to the convention sites to be opened on the day, and people were asked not to talk about the releases so that they would have an element of surprise, which lots of people love.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

On 8/29/2016 at 3:02 AM, Vido said:

I like the idea of receiving the broadcast in weekly installments.. it  would certainly be something to look froward to

You can watch 15 min each week of the monthly program and you're set LOL :D

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

51 minutes ago, jayrtom said:

I'm absolutely against putting our videos on YouTube. Even if the information is inaltered (in this case why do it?) is like taking the plate with the food from the spiritual table where there is all sorts of spiritual food and putting it in a table where there is all sort of garbage an rotten food around... Is it the same eating the same food on both tables? 

Not to mention that by doing it,  they are explicitly going against the FDS admonition! 

I agree with you.. :) 

1 hour ago, jayrtom said:

It's like one entering the supermarket and watching the owner putting in the shelf some new product. Now he didn't put this new product in the catalog  yet because he is waiting to fill all the shelves first... But if you are there you can pick one and take it... The owner isn't going to say to you that you must wait the catalog.

That's what I was trying to say, thanks...:)

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Just don't rub it in people's faces that you have got something they don't have by a couple of hours....

When last months broadcast came out I knew several of the friends in the SF cart segment so I texted one of the brothers to compliment (tease :whistling:) him, he didn't know that segment was going to be in the broadcast so he was able to notify his wife and they were both prepared for the attention they received when everyone else saw them. So in this case the brother was grateful that I saw the broadcast early and notified him...

Other than that, the only people that know I see the broadcast a few hours early are the members of this forum.

5 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

I think this should be set straight once and for all. I'll reference this post every time this topic is brought up. The following post is not meant as a direct reply to you but for everyone on this forum.

The links that are provided here to watch the program early are AS OFFICIAL AS THEY CAN GET.

Why is it that we get to watch the video 12-ish hours before everyone else? Because that's how the internet works! The internet is all about accessing resources, be it a video, picture, pdf, json, xml, txt or whatever. The reason why the whole world is making fancy websites is to ease the process for customers to access the resources. It's logical right? Every link leads you to some website containing text, pictures, video etc.

So, main point here :

-- IF YOU KNOW THE LINK TO A RESOURCE FILE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO THROUGH THE REGULAR WEB PAGE TO ACCESS IT. - -

With this in mind, why do we access the files before they appear on the website?

Because the brothers start to upload the files long before they are shown on the tv.jw.org website, so that once they are shown on the site, all the videos for all the programs are ALREADY uploaded. Every monthly program is available on ~100 languages, each language taking 2 GB of space. That's 200 GB. On a connection of 50 mbps upload speed, it will take little over 9 hours to upload them all. So imagine if they were shown on the website as soon as the first one was uploaded. Everyone else would have to wait up to 9 hours to watch on his language. Now because they upload them ahead of time, once it's shown on the site, it's available to all.

And the final point that of why we have access link early is because the brothers follow a convention of naming resources on their file server. Once we know that they follow the same convention, we can query the web server by certain parameters such as "pub" which is always the same and "issue" which is the month that we change just one number each month to get access to the newest broadcast.

And querying is not something illegal or whatnot, it's a internet mechanism for searching data in a directory.

So, bottom line...

If you don't want to watch the broadcast ahead of time because of your conscience, don't watch it!

But don't go around saying that we are accessing the broadcast by links that have not been OFFICIALLY provided.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you, but I really don't need to be lectured on "how the internet works".

My point is simple: its early, not wrong (as I did make clear), but I personally find it offensive. Its really nothing to be even debating about, quite honestly...I was really only replying to a post with my own personal view.

On any forum .... this one included .... if I find a thread/topic/subject/discussion/comments to be "offensive" - I just do not follow that particular thread. But, that is me.

I can tell you for a certainty that the Brothers at the Headquarters are aware of "early access" to the monthly broadcasts. They know exactly how we do it. I have even been asked, "How did you like (some segment)" - and this has come before it was available on JWB.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

This is all well and good, but some who view the broadcast early by means of the link are then describing things in the broadcast that they have seen, knowing that others have not had the chance to watch it.

If you want to head the thread "SPOILER" Monthly Broadcast, then others would not look until the broadcast had been made available, but this thread is not so labelled.

You can find everything on my own website by learning the naming protocol I use, but I prefer that users stick to the interface I have provided for obtaining information and downloads. 

22 minutes ago, bohemian said:

This is all well and good, but some who view the broadcast early by means of the link are then describing things in the broadcast that they have seen, knowing that others have not had the chance to watch it.

If you want to head the thread "SPOILER" Monthly Broadcast, then others would not look until the broadcast had been made available, but this thread is not so labelled.

You can find everything on my own website by learning the naming protocol I use, but I prefer that users stick to the interface I have provided for obtaining information and downloads. 

I was working on the Public Witnessing cart this morning.  I asked my partners if they had viewed the Broadcast yet.  ALL of them said NO.  Some had downloaded the video and others had not.  The point I am making is that even with the one day difference all of my friends at that location had not seen the video so anything I said in conversation would be a "spoiler" to them.  I asked last week about an upcoming Watchtower article and people in the car group had not read it yet.  Anything I said that day was a "spoiler" for them, too.  Since I do not know when every person's study time is or what their viewing preferences are, I just have to ask if they want to discuss it or not.  It really doesn't make any difference when I see the material.  I have narrowed the list of those friends who will discuss any new topic at any time and separated out those who want to be "surprised".  It works fairly well, most of the time, if I can remember.

Edited by jwhess

42 minutes ago, Qapla said:

On any forum .... this one included .... if I find a thread/topic/subject/discussion/comments to be "offensive" - I just do not follow that particular thread. But, that is me.

I can tell you for a certainty that the Brothers at the Headquarters are aware of "early access" to the monthly broadcasts. They know exactly how we do it. I have even been asked, "How did you like (some segment)" - and this has come before it was available on JWB.

I don't understand the point of this post.

No one said the brothers don't know of this "early access", no one ever said they don't know how "exactly" "we" do it.  What I shared was a personal viewpoint. Now its seems as if I am being chastised for having a personal viewpoint that I did not impose on ANYONE who enjoys early access....

If you enjoy early access, fine. That's up to you. But please allow me to have my differing views without lecturing me on having them.

Edited by Bob

Sorry if I confused you. That was not my intention.

It was just that someone said (was it you?) that they found the "early access" offensive. Since a good portion of these threads (the ones on the Monthly Broadcasts) have always started with speculation, followed by early access, then moved on to more in-depth discussions of the content of the broadcasts .... to declare the early access "offensive" apparently caught many of us by surprise.

Even though the intent may not have been to "impose" a viewpoint on others, when one comments in a thread that the direction of a long standing thread (or collection of threads, like the Monthly Broadcast threads) is "offensive" or other language that indicates that, even though some say it is not their intent, any viewpoint other than theirs is not correct - it comes across as "trying to impose".

Just to clear things up - The point of my post was to indicate that the ones posting the files (and by extension, those in charge of such posting) evidently do not find the "early access" of these files "offensive" or they would have taken steps to make them "secure" so they cannot be accessed early.

As to your feeling "chastised" - again, I am sorry if my post(s) made you feel that way .... that was not my intention either.

Perhaps This Will Help

Edited by Qapla

23 minutes ago, Qapla said:

It was just that someone said (was it you?) that they found the "early access" offensive. Since a good portion of these threads (the ones on the Monthly Broadcasts) have always started with speculation, followed by early access, then moved on to more in-depth discussions of the content of the broadcasts .... to declare the early access "offensive" apparently caught many of us by surprise.

Yeah, it was me. I did not, however, declare early access itself "offensive". In other words, I only commented on how it made me personally feel...not how anyone else should feel.

Even though the intent may not have been to "impose" a viewpoint on others, when one comments in a thread that the direction of a long standing thread (or collection of threads, like the Monthly Broadcast threads) is "offensive" or other language that indicates that, even though some say it is not their intent, any viewpoint other than theirs is not correct - it comes across as "trying to impose".

Again, I never said early access itself is "offensive". To draw an illustration, if I may, I find sweet peas terribly nasty. That's not saying they're nasty to all those who eat them. Some people enjoy early access, as they may sweet peas. I have no issues with that.

Just to clear things up - The point of my post was to indicate that the ones posting the files (and by extension, those in charge of such posting) evidently do not find the "early access" of these files "offensive" or they would have taken steps to make them "secure" so they cannot be accessed early.

That's totally fine!

Edited by Bob

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

To be brutally honest, I've always seen posting our videos on YouTube as a way to fish for apostate commentary. Not saying that is the sole intent, or that that's the intent at all, but who else lives on channels that are saturated with our material? Mostly, if not always, apostates and opposers.  

Bob,

I get your point. Interestingly enough, I also do not like sweet peas.

However, to carry your illustration a bit further .... while it is fine to not eat the peas, I, personally, would not come into a dinning room where sweet peas are being eaten, sit at the table and declare how I find them "nasty".

Instead, I would either not sit at that table or I would keep quiet as to my dislike of the peas ant eat something else.

I edited the other post after you quoted it (actually, while you were posting) and added a link:

Here is a possible solution/compromise

Now - let's get this thread back to discussing the wonderful Broadcast.

I already knew that quite a bit of work was involved in regards to the artwork in the publications (we have relatives in the art department) but seeing it makes me appreciate it even more 

8 hours ago, Andrejrulz said:

I think this should be set straight once and for all. I'll reference this post every time this topic is brought up. The following post is not meant as a direct reply to you but for everyone on this forum.

The links that are provided here to watch the program early are AS OFFICIAL AS THEY CAN GET.

Why is it that we get to watch the video 12-ish hours before everyone else? Because that's how the internet works! The internet is all about accessing resources, be it a video, picture, pdf, json, xml, txt or whatever. The reason why the whole world is making fancy websites is to ease the process for customers to access the resources. It's logical right? Every link leads you to some website containing text, pictures, video etc.

So, main point here :

-- IF YOU KNOW THE LINK TO A RESOURCE FILE, YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO THROUGH THE REGULAR WEB PAGE TO ACCESS IT. - -

With this in mind, why do we access the files before they appear on the website?

Because the brothers start to upload the files long before they are shown on the tv.jw.org website, so that once they are shown on the site, all the videos for all the programs are ALREADY uploaded. Every monthly program is available on ~100 languages, each language taking 2 GB of space. That's 200 GB. On a connection of 50 mbps upload speed, it will take little over 9 hours to upload them all. So imagine if they were shown on the website as soon as the first one was uploaded. Everyone else would have to wait up to 9 hours to watch on his language. Now because they upload them ahead of time, once it's shown on the site, it's available to all.

And the final point that of why we have access link early is because the brothers follow a convention of naming resources on their file server. Once we know that they follow the same convention, we can query the web server by certain parameters such as "pub" which is always the same and "issue" which is the month that we change just one number each month to get access to the newest broadcast.

And querying is not something illegal or whatnot, it's a internet mechanism for searching data in a directory.

So, bottom line...

If you don't want to watch the broadcast ahead of time because of your conscience, don't watch it!

But don't go around saying that we are accessing the broadcast by links that have not been OFFICIALLY provided.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree with this. nothing is illegally done. let's just respect if someone wants to watch it earlier than others. that's my opinion. :D

let our brotherly love continues.

12 hours ago, Bob said:

Thank you, but I really don't need to be lectured on "how the internet works".

My point is simple: its early, not wrong (as I did make clear), but I personally find it offensive. Its really nothing to be even debating about, quite honestly...I was really only replying to a post with my own personal view.

Hi Bob

Br Andrej did say "The following post is not meant as a direct reply to you but for everyone on this forum. "

So he wasn't lecturing you on "how the internet works" ;)

Finally I had a little bit of time on my hands (it's been a busy week for me). I uploaded the mp3 version of the new song Where I Belong to my tiny collection of original songs. I know Rosanne already did one, but my version fades at the end so it doesn't sound clipped.

I think it's one of the better songs the brothers have done for the broadcasts. >:D<

Edited by Sheep

1 hour ago, Sheep said:

Finally I had a little bit of time on my hands (it's been a busy week for me). I uploaded the mp3 version of the new song Where I Belong to my tiny collection of original songs. I know Rosanne already did one, but my version fades at the end so it doesn't sound clipped.

I think it's one of the better songs the brothers have done for the broadcasts. >:D<

Also sounds better because of the higher bit rate.:D  Love the lyrics  to this one.  Especially the line about our friends in the Truth being our REAL family, and a loving gift from Jehovah.^_^.  Can you put it on your one-drive, too?  Paleeeeeze?^_^

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif