JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What's the Weather like where you live?

19 minutes ago, Dove said:

Can you breathe when it's enveloping you..seems like you would inhale that dirt or sand into your lungs..

It reminded me of the Dustbowl tragedy in the Midwest in the 30"s, causing suffocation of their livestock and pneumonia in many children...

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Past summer heading west on I-10 thru states of Newd Mexicano and Arid Zone ah Ah dun seed dust twizzlers just off side ov da road.

Had dem flashing warning signies, but dem take a tour bars nut down.  🙊

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Yes, air quality is a serious problem. Those with Asthma or other respiratory conditions are told to stay indoors. Bring the washing in. Close all windows and doors.
While it is not a common occurrence, it happens enough for us to be aware of them. I vividly remember my first encounter with one. The red dust blew in from the neighbouring state, hundreds of miles away.
It turned day into night.
My wife suffers from asthma, so I learnt it was more than a curiosity, but potentially life threatening.
We take the warnings seriously. (Although I don't expect to see them here in the tropics now...)
Maybe this talk about 'global warming' might explain why we seem to be having more of them.

Older {waiting for wiser}

Those are some serious haboobs!
L

Not a word we use here (yet).

Ship in Port today. Set up cart for the tourists. But it is soooo hot! I'm glad I brought a spare shirt. I go swap it, and hang the other one up to dry in the car, then swap again in an hour or so...
I'm dripping...
Norwegian Jewell in today. 2800 pax. From Singapore. We have a Chinese cart up today...
With the humidity it 'Feels like' 101°F5267a750720cb3fb0a12bbc0550c10cf.jpg

We also get lots of cruise lines into port in Astoria, Oregon. I think last year they had, good guess here, 26 ships. The brothers do cart witnessing there as well. 

During last week mid-week meeting the brothers discussed using the carts more often starting this year. I'm going to sign up. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

9 minutes ago, bagwell1987 said:

We also get lots of cruise lines into port in Astoria, Oregon. I think last year they had, good guess here, 26 ships. The brothers do cart witnessing there as well. 

During last week mid-week meeting the brothers discussed using the carts more often starting this year. I'm going to sign up. 

Oohhh... there were friends from Astoria in my pioneer class! Maybe I can come help out sometimes!  Do you know Carol Arthur or Pam Arnold? 

Louisiana weather is like a fickle schoolgirl. It can never make up it's mind what season it wants to be. For a few weeks, fall was going good. I even had a few days where I was able to boast cooler weather than Ferb, up there XD. Then, all of a sudden, it's started to rain and it's back up to 70F (about 21 C), and I'm thinking "I want my winter weather back!". It's been raining the past few days too. I like rain, but after a while, the place will get musty and my allergies come out.

Edited by Katty

20 minutes ago, Hope said:

Oohhh... there were friends from Astoria in my pioneer class! Maybe I can come help out sometimes!  Do you know Carol Arthur or Pam Arnold? 

Yup, Carol Arthur is mum to a sis that took me under her wing when I first came into the truth. Pam is Dave's wife and we've know each other for almost 30 years. We worked together in the food department during Astoria's remodel a couple years ago. MD and fam is in Astoria still, it's my home cong.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

You know, sometimes it's better not to know the temp. You know it's hot, but not how hot.
Today was one of those days, and we were on the carts.

44.9 C is 112.82 F

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/queensland-heat-records-smashed-20181126-p50ig7.html21f3df8f230a78460dbb68d3eca607b6.jpg

Ds5odc1WwAIi--W.png

IDN21037 
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
New South Wales

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

Severe Weather Warning

for HEAVY RAINFALL and DAMAGING WINDS

For people in Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of Hunter and Central Tablelands Forecast Districts.

Issued at 3:28 pm Monday, 26 November 2018.

INTENSE RAIN AND VIGOROUS WINDS TO SYDNEY AND ILLAWARRA WEDNESDAY

image.png.02fb76636b87fed292f969c3d4cad742.png

Weather Situation: A low pressure system over central parts of Australia is moving east. This system is expected to enter the northwest of New South Wales on Tuesday and then track southeast, rapidly intensifying as it crosses the coast about the Greater Sydney area during Wednesday. Intense rainfall and vigorous winds are expected to impact parts of the Illawarra and Greater Sydney area on Wednesday before the low quickly moves east away from the New South Wales coast.

HEAVY RAIN which may lead to FLASH FLOODING is likely for some parts of the Illawarra, Sydney Metropolitan and Blue Mountains during Wednesday. The most intense rainfall is likely to be during Wednesday morning and afternoon.

Rainfall is expected to ease late Wednesday and early Thursday as the low pressure system moves further offshore.

DAMAGING WINDS, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are likely along the coastal Illawarra and Sydney fringe from late Wednesday morning, and extending to the Central Coast and the Hunter coastal fringe during Wednesday evening.

Winds are expected to ease later Thursday as the low moves further away from the coast.

Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Bowral and Katoomba.

The State Emergency Service advises that people should: 
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees. 
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony. 
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences. 
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill. 
* Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water. 
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains. 
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue. 
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500. 

Edited by Wren

The West is best  :sunshine:

Our weather is unseasonably cool.  Not complaining, mind you.  When summer starts, we'll roast too.
But wait.... There's more...

I forgot to add the 70 fires currently burning in Qld, and the flash flooding due Sydney.
A land of plenty! a7e668179332ceb265ee1ca5d99deb8d.jpg29289d81ea22f9a639750fcd85e8f836.jpg5e6e1d9becf11f0b1b2e36773d5492f3.jpg

We had a bit of a wind storm yesterday and all night long:eek:. Dodged limbs and trees on the way to work this morning. Got to work and this is what I saw. This is at a post office, there's not enough room to bring in all the 6' tall rolling carts of mail and packages so they're stored in this 10x10 (I think) outside shed until they can be emptied. Then the empty carts are stored next to the shed for the truck drivers to load the next day.

I'd heard we were expecting 65 MPH gusts,  it wasn't a huge storm but enough to batten down the hatches. The new postmaster is from inland (obviously not understanding coastal weather) and she was warned to secure the shed better. Ummm, she didn't heed the advice. :cry: Sure glad I'm not the one who has to dismantle this mess.

shed 2 (606 x 1077).jpg

shed (606 x 1077).jpg

Edited by bagwell1987

The huge storm currently hitting Sydney and surrounds is being described as one of the worst ones ever.

"NSW Police are urging motorists to "take extra care on the roads today with horrendous weather currently lashing Sydney".

"The conditions we are experiencing today are some of the worst I've ever seen, and I am appealing to everyone, motorists and pedestrians alike, to take care," assistant commissioner Michael Corboy said."

They've copped a month's worth of rain in two hours, the airport is closed, and public transport is also reduced or not running.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/month-s-worth-of-rain-in-two-hours-wild-weather-hits-nsw?cx_cid=edm:newsam:2019

1 hour ago, hatcheckgirl said:

The huge storm currently hitting Sydney and surrounds is being described as one of the worst ones ever.

"NSW Police are urging motorists to "take extra care on the roads today with horrendous weather currently lashing Sydney".

"The conditions we are experiencing today are some of the worst I've ever seen, and I am appealing to everyone, motorists and pedestrians alike, to take care," assistant commissioner Michael Corboy said."

They've copped a month's worth of rain in two hours, the airport is closed, and public transport is also reduced or not running.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/month-s-worth-of-rain-in-two-hours-wild-weather-hits-nsw?cx_cid=edm:newsam:2019

Now, that's what I call RAIN::unsure:

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

Wow! Another bad fire in Central Queensland.  Please keep yourselves safe brothers and sisters!

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/queensland-bushfires-catastrophic-fire-risk-declared?cx_cid=edm:newspm:2019

Many have ignored pleas to flee to safety and some residents are in the direct path of the inferno, even after police banged on their doors on Tuesday night.

Around 50 properties in the area have residents who are refusing to leave, which is frustrating authorities.

Deputy Police Commissioner Bob Gee said officers were doing a final sweep of the area, but after that residents would be on their own.

"People will burn to death. Their normal approaches probably won't work if this situation develops the way it is predicted to develop. It is no different to a Category 5 cyclone coming through your door."

"The beach may not be a safe option. Leave now."

"I'm sure that some people have probably got very good and elaborate systems of pumps and dams and systems and they believe that 'I'll be OK and I know what I'm doing and I've done this before,'" Mr Crawford said.

"Today is not one of those days. Today is different. We are expecting a firestorm."

The firestorm would likely create "dead man zones" which would be impossible to survive, even in a car.