JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

1 hour ago, ChrisC said:

I think it’s caused by the huge 2014? Annual Meeting 720p file. I just installed it on my M1 Mac and JW Library crashed, and now crashes on opening.

If it is caused by a file try deleting app data. You will lose all publications but at least you will be able to use the app again.

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I think it’s caused by the huge 2014? Annual Meeting 720p file. I just installed it on my M1 Mac and JW Library crashed, and now crashes on opening.

Further experimentations shows that it is indeed that file causing the problem.

Theory:

I think it’s the only file with a size in bytes that won’t fit into a 32-bit signed integer, so I’m guessing it’s reporting a negative file size. It has in the past showed a negative file size in the list of downloaded items, but I haven’t checked recently.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I'm having a problem with the Bible audio files now. I downloaded 1 Samuel and it played Judges. I deleted the files through the app and downloaded them again, and it played Ruth.

So I tried a different book. I downloaded the media for Genesis and it played 1 John instead.

I deleted the media, switched the settings to download to the device instead of the SD, downloaded the media for Genesis and it played 1 John instead...🤷‍♂️

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

18 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I'm having a problem with the Bible audio files now. I downloaded 1 Samuel and it played Judges. I deleted the files through the app and downloaded them again, and it played Ruth.

So I tried a different book. I downloaded the media for Genesis and it played 1 John instead.

I deleted the media, switched the settings to download to the device instead of the SD, downloaded the media for Genesis and it played 1 John instead...🤷‍♂️

I just updated the app on a different device and it's doing the same thing. I downloaded Ruth and it played Judges. 

I know I'm behind on my Bible reading but I'm not that far behind..:lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

The JWL app updated on my FIL Samsung tablet. His tablet is about 8 years old and has Android 6. After the update he could no longer download anything.

We had to uninstall the app and reinstall it - after d/l what he needed for the meetings it works just fine.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

The JWL app updated on my FIL Samsung tablet. His tablet is about 8 years old and has Android 6. After the update he could no longer download anything.

We had to uninstall the app and reinstall it - after d/l what he needed for the meetings it works just fine.

In my Apple devices it works well. But when I import a video from the local storage it shows on the Pending  Updates Tab. 
Also, I can’t see Pending Updates for Publications anymore 

In my Windows computer the apps runs very slowly now. It used to be faster. 

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

It will be good to start thinking about a new device.

We will be ordering a new device today ... he just had to decide which other features he wanted.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

11 hours ago, jwhess said:

Android 5 is the cut-off point. So one of the next adjustments will catch-up to Android 6.  It will be good to start thinking about a new device.  My android 6device  will no longer update to Android 7 or anything else.

Costco had a terrific sale on 14" laptops this last week.  In fact, when we got there, they were 100.00 cheaper than the flyer said they would be.  My tablet will soon be up for the "won't update the app" so I thought I'd take the plunge and get a small lightweight laptop instead.  Don't have to pair a keyboard anymore and the display is goregous. My husband bought one also because his Apple mini ipad will no longer update JW library.  We are both super happy with our purchases so far. The laptop is small enough to fit comfortably on our laps or on a table right in front of us. So if/when we go back to our Kingdom Halls, they will still be quite useful and I can use the tablet for the ministry.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

1 hour ago, shali said:

Costco had a terrific sale on 14" laptops this last week. 

I just bought a 14 inch laptop from Costco but it wasn't on sale. Which one did you get? I bought the Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Pro and I love it.

Refurbished and warranted laptops can be found on Ebay for a fraction of Costco's price. The last laptop I bought at Costo was twice the price of the equivelent laptop on ebay. Shop carefully, save big bucks. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, ChrisC said:

Bug NOT FIXED in 13.0.1  (edit: on my test installation on an old iPad.)

i.e. Don’t download 2014 Annual Meeting at 720p on JW Library or it will crash every time you select the Library tab.

Finding the Annual Meeting file on my Mac and deleting it did not fix the problem. I had to uninstall JW Library and then also delete the media files that survived uninstallation, and then reinstall JW Library to fix this.

Edited by ChrisC

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 2/6/2022 at 8:26 PM, Tortuga said:

The latest update fixed this issue..:thumbsup:

I still have some issues on iOS

It doesn’t show the Pending Updates Tab anymore. 
Imported videos that are not downloaded directly from the app appear as if they need to be updated. 
Still can’t play the audio on a Watchtower from a specific paragraph 

• 2 weeks later...

Insight volumes on JW Library just got a big update on iPhone/iPad. Now 251MB and includes pictures, maps, charts. 😃 

13 minutes ago, ChrisC said:

Insight volumes on JW Library just got a big update on iPhone/iPad. Now 251MB and includes pictures, maps, charts. 😃 

Android and Windows JWL has it. Nice "Features" section added.

Edited by Tortuga

• 2 weeks later...

The LDC DC-82 has been updated, I haven't reviewed it yet but it sounds like a major update. I did notice that none of my highlights or notes are in the update. 😥

• 2 weeks later...