JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

58 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Looks like my SD card failed or unmounted...😱

emoji3073.pngOld (Downunder) Tone emoji854.png

Screenshot_20211216-070530_My Files.png

What version number did the Android update to?

My Windows PC is version 12.5.48

My apple updated to 12.5.2

My Android is still back in November with version 12.5  I do not have an Android update (yet).

32 minutes ago, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Same 12v5.

So must be an Android update that tripped up my library app.

12v5.png

Same 12v5.

So must be an Android update that tripped up my library app.

Yes, so?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

4 hours ago, Thesauron said:

This warning has been around for a while. Support for older systems will end. This is normal.

Indeed it has.  That is why I posted the reminders back in October on post #4232.  This is just a reminder of the reminder.  The talk is over, the action begins (on this round of eliminations).

jwl.thumb.JPG.0c1a8d1c670a54e825eb98dcb3b5cc80.jpg

Edited by jwhess

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Romain said:

jw.org is now available in dark mode. (And this really made my day 😁)

"These new options are not yet available in the JW Library app, but will be added in the future."

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

12 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

There is "system, Dark, and Light". What is the difference between system and dark?

It will use the device system settings unless you override it by choosing one of the other settings.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

It will use the device system settings unless you override it by choosing one of the other settings.

I don't understand what the Device System means..does it mean my phone? 

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

1 minute ago, SUNRAY said:

Yes. If you use a phone, then that is your device system setting on your phone. If you're using a tablet, then it's your device system setting on the tablet. If you're using a PC, then... same thing...

8 minutes ago, SUNRAY said:

If your phone or tablet has a Dark Mode, then the website will show up in the same mode your phone/tablet is in. Unless you select one of the other options.

3 minutes ago, Sheep said:

Yes. If you use a phone, then that is your device system setting on your phone. If you're using a tablet, then it's your device system setting on the tablet. If you're using a PC, then... same thing...

Thank you..my phone is an older Samsung, and the only "dark" theme is "negative colors", which has distorted images. So I will choose "dark" on JWorg.B)

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

2 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

Dark mode on iPadOS is working like a charm on JW.org 🤩

I have both Classic Invert and Smart Invert for colors on my Ipad and Iphone.  If I choose Classic, the colors invert but the pictures go negative (inverted).  If I use Smart Invert, the pictures are supposed to stay in true normal color and only the text inverts to white-on-black (it used to work this way last year).

But now, no matter which I choose for the system, the JW.ORG will show some or all of the pictures in reverse or inverted color.  If I turn off the "system" button and choose the "Dark Mode" button in JW>ORG it works perfectly.  All of the pictures and headings are fine and the text is "white-on-black"

3 minutes ago, jwhess said:

I have both Classic Invert and Smart Invert for colors on my Ipad and Iphone.  If I choose Classic, the colors invert but the pictures go negative (inverted).  If I use Smart Invert, the pictures are supposed to stay in true normal color and only the text inverts to white-on-black (it used to work this way last year).

But now, no matter which I choose for the system, the JW.ORG will show some or all of the pictures in reverse or inverted color.  If I turn off the "system" button and choose the "Dark Mode" button in JW>ORG it works perfectly.  All of the pictures and headings are fine and the text is "white-on-black"

What device are you running? I simply have Dark Mode activated on iPadOS and get light text on dark background with normal pictures ( no inversion )

It looks great!

3 hours ago, Susan Cook said:

What device are you running? I simply have Dark Mode activated on iPadOS and get light text on dark background with normal pictures ( no inversion )

It looks great!

I have both an Ipad pro and an Iphone Xs-max.  If you have an app or a setting that generates a true "dark mode" I would like to try it.  The only dark mode I could find was what IOS 15 provides in the "accessibility" settings.  I have used it for a couple of years.  The Smart Inversion did what you describe.  It puts white text on a black background and it leaves pictures and photos in a standard color format.  But starting last year it no longer operates in that manner.  Some of the pictures or photos look like negatives as their color gets inverted.

I use it anyway but it is annoying when you are in the Watchtower study and the picture in the middle of the page is the wrong color format. Here is a sample of using the JW.ORG "Dark Mode"  and comparing it to my Ipad system dark mode and using it on the JW.ORG home page.  The text is white on black and the small pictures are regular but the larger picture is reversed color.

IMG_1217.JPG

IMG_1218.JPG

I have both an Ipad pro and an Iphone Xs-max.  If you have an app or a setting that generates a true "dark mode" I would like to try it.  The only dark mode I could find was what IOS 15 provides in the "accessibility" settings.  I have used it for a couple of years.  The Smart Inversion did what you describe.  It puts white text on a black background and it leaves pictures and photos in a standard color format.  But starting last year it no longer operates in that manner.  Some of the pictures or photos look like negatives as their color gets inverted.

I use it anyway but it is annoying when you are in the Watchtower study and the picture in the middle of the page is the wrong color format. Here is a sample of using the JW.ORG "Dark Mode"  and comparing it to my Ipad system dark mode and using it on the JW.ORG home page.  The text is white on black and the small pictures are regular but the larger picture is reversed color.

IMG_1217.JPG.7ac0ba2ee3f89982ffe1c4ac68a55e3c.JPG
IMG_1218.thumb.JPG.121e698dce029a3e05fbe3f4791c7487.JPG

It follows your system setting, so try switching off Classic Invert and Smart Invert in iPadOS System Accessibility settings. Rather, you’d want to set Dark mode or automatic in the Display & Brightness settings.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

5 hours ago, Thesauron said:

It follows your system setting, so try switching off Classic Invert and Smart Invert in iPadOS System Accessibility settings. Rather, you’d want to set Dark mode or automatic in the Display & Brightness settings.

Thanks Br. Johan.  I did as you suggested and it works to darken (dark mode) on the apple device.  And  this "system" setting also provides the dark mode on JW.ORG.  However, it does not extend that dark mode feature to the "login" area of the website.  That remains a normal screen color.

My "Smart Invert"  did have the advantage of the "triple-click" on the home button to start/stop the inversion.  Since my model 10 Iphone does not have a home button, I had simply placed a HOME icon on the desktop to turn it on or off.  Lately the Smart Invert was getting back to normal on the JW Library app (Watchtower and Meeting Workbook). But it did not extend this normalcy to the System setting in JW.ORG.

It is an on-going experiment. Thanks again.

EDIT: UPDATE,  I just tried the "dark" setting on my Iphone but it does not darken my JW Library app on the same phone.  So I will go back to Smart Invert for this reason.

Edited by jwhess

Thanks Br. Johan.  I did as you suggested and it works to darken (dark mode) on the apple device.  And  this "system" setting also provides the dark mode on JW.ORG.  However, it does not extend that dark mode feature to the "login" area of the website.  That remains a normal screen color.

My "Smart Invert"  did have the advantage of the "triple-click" on the home button to start/stop the inversion.  Since my model 10 Iphone does not have a home button, I had simply placed a HOME icon on the desktop to turn it on or off.  Lately the Smart Invert was getting back to normal on the JW Library app (Watchtower and Meeting Workbook). But it did not extend this normalcy to the System setting in JW.ORG.

It is an on-going experiment. Thanks again.

You are right. Not all aspects of jw.org has dark mode yet. I am sure it will be rolled out in time. Smart invert, which some systems use, is similar, but not the same.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Thesauron said:

You are right. Not all aspects of jw.org has dark mode yet. I am sure it will be rolled out in time. Smart invert, which some systems use, is similar, but not the same.

The benefit to Smart Invert is that it does work in the "logon" areas of the website.  Just a little plus.

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

Since my model 10 Iphone does not have a home button, I had simply placed a HOME icon on the desktop to turn it on or off.  

Brother Hess, I have the same phone and I'm interested in what you meant by placing a HOME icon on the desktop to turn it on or off.

By desktop, are you referring to the home screen, and also how do you get the icon for that?

I always have a problem turning mine off and on, so the icon on the home screen would be so much easier, if that is what you mean....

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..