JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

38 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Yes, that is the move to get it back. But usually you read downward.

I tend to get a paragraph in sight, read or scan it downward and then say "what did it say in the last sentence?" and then scroll back up to read it again.  For me, it is not a straight "downward" scroll.  But it is not a big thing.

I noticed on Android devices that the new update makes it look like what JW LIbrary looks like on Apple.  Plain and gray.  I'm going to miss my purple!  I liked all the icons being in the menu button at the top too, so will take some getting used to to look at the bottom of the screen now for those.  I'm sure, in time, I will get used to it but I am sorry to see the look of the Android version of JW Library gone.

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I think that the appearance change is necessary for enabling a 'dark mode' feature in the future-across the many device platforms. 

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

My phone already supported dark Mode for JW Library.  Even though in settings, it shows JW Library as NOT supported in dark mode, whenever I would toggle the button, JW Library appeared in dark mode even though my phone said it wasn't supported.  I just now switched it back to dark mode because I can't stand all that gray and I like it in dark mode much better.

I noticed on Android devices that the new update makes it look like what JW LIbrary looks like on Apple.  Plain and gray.  I'm going to miss my purple!  I liked all the icons being in the menu button at the top too, so will take some getting used to to look at the bottom of the screen now for those.  I'm sure, in time, I will get used to it but I am sorry to see the look of the Android version of JW Library gone.

I am sure you’ll not only get used to it, but also realise why that look was preferred.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

10 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

I am sure you’ll not only get used to it, but also realise why that look was preferred.

I went to dark mode on my phone and really like how that looks, so I will probably just keep it in dark mode. It's such a big change for us Android users because it has looked one way since 2013 when JW Library first came out.  There had been no real changes in the appearance of the app on Android devices.  Now, 8 1/2 years later, this seems like a big change to us.  Yes, it will take some time to get used to.

Edited by shali

On 1/29/2022 at 6:06 PM, .Ivan. said:

Finally tools on android version are on bottom of app like on ios, instead on left side. Good..

It could be "finally tools on ios version are on left side of app like on android, instead of on bottom side. Good" :D

Edited by jayrtom

We have a brother in our hall who can write software..I have a Galaxy Note 3 phone with 5.0 and googled to find out if there is any way to upgrade the phone so I can use the updated JWL app. I found you tube videos showing how it can be done, even how it can be upgraded to 10.0!! I have no computer or tech knowlege to do this, so will ask the brother to consider doing this. If he is willing, there are others who might benefit as well.😃

Screenshot_2022-01-31-10-36-47-1.png

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

13 hours ago, jayrtom said:

It could be "finally tools on ios version are on left side of app like on android, instead of on bottom side. Good" :D

I suppose brothers asked for this change. For me is dark themed app must have and it is it.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:23 AM, shali said:

I will say that part of the reason my mother had difficulty on Sunday was that the new grey banner has much less contrast than the purple did.  If your eyes are not good, that lack of contrast - and the smaller print - can make navigation much more of a challenge.  :(  I simply directed her to look at the bottom and if she can see the fuzzy outline of the icons to count - two over for the Bible and four over for the Meeting tab.  She'll just have to get used to that.  :shrugs:  I think she will.

5 hours ago, Old said:

How old is older?

My phone is a Galaxy Note 3. It is fast and has a pen..The screen is glass and has excellent color..also 32gb device storage..so far it will update with the blue line at the top when I tap the dothingy circle at the top of the screen...still I will pursue the possibility of updating to a 10.0 software.:tea:

cat2_e0.gif

On 1/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, Thesauron said:

Preferred by some or even by the majority. But we all have our own preferences and that is what makes life enjoyable. I am sure I will get used to it but for now I am still tapping the top left to get the menu and then wonder why nothing is happening. I also don't like things appearing and disappearing as I scroll. Its very distracting because I always look to see what changed. If the menu is going to be on the bottom I prefer it to stay there all the time and not disappear while scrolling as that takes my attention away from my reading.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Hope said:

I will say that part of the reason my mother had difficulty on Sunday was that the new grey banner has much less contrast than the purple did.  If your eyes are not good, that lack of contrast - and the smaller print - can make navigation much more of a challenge.  :(  I simply directed her to look at the bottom and if she can see the fuzzy outline of the icons to count - two over for the Bible and four over for the Meeting tab.  She'll just have to get used to that.  :shrugs:  I think she will.

See if her device has a "dark mode" she can impliment, it's all much easier to see in dark mode. Also most devices have a "high contrast" mode for those whose vision isn't so good. That may help too.

On 2/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, SUNRAY said:

I am still able to use the old JW Library app on my old phone..anyone else try to use their older device?

You may be able to use the app, but it won't update and may not bring in some new pub's or video's. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

On 1/31/2022 at 5:39 PM, Thesauron said:

On iOS you can switch on/off disappearing of the nav menu. I hope it’s also on Android. It looks like this:

3127EC76-C144-4935-8F09-B5074488EB6B.jpeg

Edited by Michał

I can’t edit the quote on my old IPhone. I hope it isn’t confusing

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

1 hour ago, shali said:

See if her device has a "dark mode" she can impliment, it's all much easier to see in dark mode. Also most devices have a "high contrast" mode for those whose vision isn't so good. That may help too.

You may be able to use the app, but it won't update and may not bring in some new pub's or video's. 

We can all see why this would be a problem.  After a few months, we might not be able to see or study the current Watchtower or Meeting Workbook for the current week's meetings.  And maybe not be able to see any additional video or audio downloads (like the new song we will practice for the Summer Regional Convention).

Here is the Monthly Announcement for November that was read to all congregations'  Note the comment about not being able upload new material.

image.thumb.png.fcae506dee1f42fe97ef7cb95cdbc941.png

Edited by jwhess

4 hours ago, shali said:

So far it has brought in the new workbook and an update to a publication..so we'll see!

cat2_e0.gif

3 hours ago, jwhess said:

We can all see why this would be a problem.  After a few months, we might not be able to see or study the current Watchtower or Meeting Workbook for the current week's meetings.  And maybe not be able to see any additional video or audio downloads (like the new song we will practice for the Summer Regional Convention).

Here is the Monthly Announcement for November that was read to all congregations'  Note the comment about not being able upload new material.

image.thumb.png.fcae506dee1f42fe97ef7cb95cdbc941.png

So, John..it does say for an older device, we can run the installed app, but no 'app updates'..(like in the Play Store).

cat2_e0.gif

I'm just thrilled that now I can click on the meetings tab on my iPhone from the homepage (like on the iPad) and not have to click the 3 dots thingy before navigating to it like before.  :upsidedown:

I just wish they'd let us highlight in the study pane!  My guess is that because the study notes are constantly updated, the highlights would move around too much.  Every time we get the elders' book updated, they put in a little note saying that highlights may have moved around a bit. . . .

5 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

So, John..it does say for an older device, we can run the installed app, but no 'app updates'..(like in the Play Store).

As you read the announcement so do I.  I know nothing beyond what was written.  I had an older device that lost the app and nothing will install in its place.  It tells me that the app will not install in this device.  So I am giving it away as a book reader.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:40 AM, ChrisC said:

*** JW Library 13.0 crashing for me every time I select the new Library tab. ***

(iPadOS 15.3, iPad Pro 2018, with 202GB JW Library installation.)

Publications/videos opened from other tabs do not crash JW Library .

So I will sometimes need to use another device with un-updated JW Library until this is fixed. 

I think it’s caused by the huge 2014? Annual Meeting 720p file. I just installed it on my M1 Mac and JW Library crashed, and now crashes on opening.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13