JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

On 9/2/2021 at 3:58 PM, Qapla said:

You can also go to "Publications" from the menu ... at the top will be some headings

image.png.07653c72b298df050fec77a67cd9a0df.png

If there are any updates available for any publications you have downloaded (this includes the Bible) you will also have a heading that says "Pending Updates" just past "BY TYPE    DOWNLOADED".  Clicking on that heading will take you to a screen that shows which ones need updating

Since mine are all up-to-date I cannot show you that heading since it does not show unless you need to update something

Br. John, I just used your suggestion on updating from the "Publications" tab instead of the "Bible location.  You are correct that it does update the Bible and makes it current.  But i did it with 3 of my devices (Iphone, Android phone and Ipad).  But it does not update the Media files associated with the Bible.  I still had to go and bring up the Bible, go to Media download and select the audio or video files that I wanted.

I wonder if this is a protection from overloading a device with  limited memory.  If it "automatically" added a 100 video files and a 1000 audio files when you did your Bible it may be too much.

At least I thought I should share with you what I found.

It seems that the audio feature was added to book of Joshua. 

https://www.jw.org/en/whats-new/Audio-Bible-Book-of-Joshua-Now-Available-Online/

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I wonder if the video storage estimate is on 360p or 720p? 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

OK, I guess it's determined by the preferences option. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jwhess said:

I just downloaded it on my devices.  they opened up OK but I have not tried any of the features yet

Ditto 

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

This is not a JW Library problem (yet).  I just wanted to say that Apple has released its IpadIOS 15 and IpjoneIOS 15 versions today.  I just downloaded it on my devices.  they opened up OK but I have not tried any of the features yet.

Why can it become a problem?

4 hours ago, jayrtom said:

Why can it become a problem?

My past experience with OS updates can indicate possible problems with a serious change.  two things come to mind. 

One, this is an "original" update (meaning that the OS number ends in 'point zero').  Later patches ten to fix things missed in the first launch.  Soon there will be a 15.1 to fix a problem.

Two, Zoom has not updated the Ipad version for some time.  Windows is at 5.7.8 and Android  is at 5.7.7 however IOS is way back at version 5.7.6.  Maybe they got it perfectly correct before but now we have a new system.  Maybe they were just waiting to make it work in the end without fooling around with IOS 14.8.  who knows.

These are 'potential" problems.

EDIT:  I am the person that waited through the Windows update in the spring that made my JW Library insert a 60 second delay in my Enjoy Life Forever book.  It took some time to sync the Library and my new OS installation.

Edited by jwhess

40AAB8CF-8938-4E13-98FE-75D7F52D429B.thumb.png.dc9b2bbd0a58a30cedf02f33a2027219.png

Is there a setting so one can see the marginal references on the side like above?

IOS IPhones

A few of the friends have the same phone and some can see the references on the side and others can’t.

Phone XR, 12 Max, 13 Max and 11 regular it works.

Others with 13 Max and 13 Pro it doesn’t show on the side.

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

One thing is you have to make sure you are using the study Bible.

Thank you.

All the phone have the Bible study, the difference is some open the marginal references in a page by itself and not on the side.

Same OS, same model but different ways that the marginal references appears.

On my phone it opens on the side of the Bible so I can see both at the same time.  On my wife’s phone it opens the marginal references on a whole different page.  Can’t see the Bible until she hits ‘back’.

12 minutes ago, Jmystro said:

Thank you.

All the phone have the Bible study, the difference is some open the marginal references in a page by itself and not on the side.

Same OS, same model but different ways that the marginal references appears.

On my phone it opens on the side of the Bible so I can see both at the same time.  On my wife’s phone it opens the marginal references on a whole different page.  Can’t see the Bible until she hits ‘back’.

Hmm… have you tried comparing display settings in two iPhones that render JWL differently? I’m not sure if it’s applicable but maybe font size may play an issue (system-wide, not in the app).

🙏 Thank you! 🙏

On most phones, you have to hold it in landscape orientation to see both the publication and study pane at the same time.
On phones with a screen size smaller than 5 inches, this is generally not an option, the user has to go back and forth between the publication and the study pane.

Edited by Dandelion

I have an Iphone XS Max which has a large screen.  The Bible & gems are not side-by-side in either landscape or portrait mode.  I thought it might be font size so I reduced it to the smallest value and it still wil only show one or the other but not both at the same time.  My Android phone is a smaller screen and display the notes on the side in landscape mode.  It is running Android 8. (on an LG-710).

4 hours ago, jwhess said:

I have an Iphone XS Max which has a large screen.  The Bible & gems are not side-by-side in either landscape or portrait mode.  I thought it might be font size so I reduced it to the smallest value and it still wil only show one or the other but not both at the same time.  My Android phone is a smaller screen and display the notes on the side in landscape mode.  It is running Android 8. (on an LG-710).

On the flip side, I increased the font to the biggest size on my Max and it still comes up side by side in landscape mode.

Don’t know why two phones, same model, same OS don’t handle it the same way.

Where’s the setting?  Is there one?

• 2 weeks later...

JW Library updated 12.5 on Android

Research Guide updates can be downloaded from the study pane of the Bible.
Several issues are fixed, including some causing the app to crash.

NOTE: Version 12.5 is the last version that supports Android 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 5.0. If your device runs one of these older operating systems, you will need to update it to receive future versions of JW Library

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 9S mediante Tapatalk

I think having this setting on Standard fixes the problem mentioned above (Study Pane not showing side-by-side in landscape mode on iPhone):

F2236838-C23C-42A8-B03C-B40D120D4AD6.thumb.jpeg.d9db6f944f49f93a1a5c6884ccb83ac5.jpeg

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13