JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

9 minutes ago, Dages said:

That's why this previous post is now hidden

1 hour ago, howudodat said:

Actually the android version is available for download from this page available under FAQ:

https://www.jw.org/en/online-help/jw-library/android/manually-install-jw-library-android/

And ... if you notice, the publicly available FAQ link lets you d/l this file

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_publication/0e/jwlb_E.apk

You will note, it does not have ".test" at the end :nope: 

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

9 minutes ago, Qapla said:

And ... if you notice, the publicly available FAQ link lets you d/l this file

https://download-a.akamaihd.net/files/media_publication/0e/jwlb_E.apk

You will note, it does not have ".test" at the end :nope: 

The "link" give access to a zip version of the file. Maybe it will be available later.

Yes, but the "official link" is to an .apk" file ... something that is directly installable - not a container file, zip file (with a .test file) or other type of beta file.

If/when I want to directly/manually install an Android file, I want the .apk - not a container file/folder

Anyway - back to the updates of JWL - my PC just had an update to version 13.2.45 (191481) AND MY Android phone to version 13.2 (191648) ... both updates within the past two days.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

The zip is actually the windows version but your point on installing official versions is well put.  Beta / test versions should only be installed by those who are accepted into the beta testing program.  As I explained in a previous post there are reasons why 99% of users should wait for the apk, or official app from the store.  It took all of one day (maybe two) for it to be put on the stores.  James 5:7 

Developers should restore the ability to remove multiple publications from the app at the same time.  Currently, downloading new ones is difficult if its is already full of them.  JW Library takes up a lot of memory.

No matter how the wind howls the mountain cannot bow to it. 

32 minutes ago, Jimi-L said:

Developers should restore the ability to remove multiple publications from the app at the same time.  Currently, downloading new ones is difficult if its is already full of them.  JW Library takes up a lot of memory.

I would love to be able to move individual publications to the SD cards like the media files.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I think you mean storage. Publications are not downloaded to or stored in "memory."

While this is a technical thing, both RAM memory for applications and storage memory are both storage places in the computer for different tasks.  This is a simplistic quote from a tech commenter...

"Storage and memory, while connected, fulfill separate roles in a computer. Memory meets temporary data access needs and storage retains data and other files over the long term.  The terms memory and storage both refer to a computer's internal storage space.  Their uses are different."

10 hours ago, jwhess said:

While this is a technical thing, both RAM memory for applications and storage memory are both storage places in the computer for different tasks.  This is a simplistic quote from a tech commenter...

"Storage and memory, while connected, fulfill separate roles in a computer. Memory meets temporary data access needs and storage retains data and other files over the long term.  The terms memory and storage both refer to a computer's internal storage space.  Their uses are different."

So you agree with me. Memory would not be used to store publications since it is temporary. I make this clarification so that when somebody is looking for a new phone that needs to hold a lot of data they choose a phone with a lot of storage space and not simply a lot of temporary memory. If you get a new phone with a lot of memory but not a lot of storage then its not going to help a lot with downloading large publications or A/V files. Phone specs that I have looked at will generally speak in terms of memory and storage. The terminology is often mixed up by marketing people who really don't know what they are writing about.

Again I only make this distinction to help somebody who is looking for a new phone, not to simply be overly technical. Which is why I didn't really want to go into all the technical details.

4 hours ago, Floyd said:

So you agree with me. Memory would not be used to store publications since it is temporary. I make this clarification so that when somebody is looking for a new phone that needs to hold a lot of data they choose a phone with a lot of storage space and not simply a lot of temporary memory. If you get a new phone with a lot of memory but not a lot of storage then its not going to help a lot with downloading large publications or A/V files. Phone specs that I have looked at will generally speak in terms of memory and storage. The terminology is often mixed up by marketing people who really don't know what they are writing about.

Again I only make this distinction to help somebody who is looking for a new phone, not to simply be overly technical. Which is why I didn't really want to go into all the technical details.

Yes your statements are true.  I realize you were trying to be helpful with a simple answer.  But if the RAM fills up, the Hard Drive or SSD can convert part of its space to Virtual memory and do the same job (but slower). In my Android device, I can put an SD card in the drive slot and tell the device to treat it as RAM.  Akk of these things are :memory" to the computer.  How it is used and how well it works depends on many factors.  I just wanted to point out the the word "memory" can be taken many ways.

In the scenario you mentioned, that is a device with say 8 GB RAM memory and 16 GB storage memory (like a phone or small tablet)  will operate or function quickly but have very little room to store long-term data.

So yes we use the terms to check the amount or ability of a device and getting the numbers right is important. but we should remember the words are not absolute or concrete.  Data is "stored" (temporarily) in RAM and your hard drive is a long-term "storage" but it still is "memory". 

And we have not even mentioned ROM or any other kind.....🙂

On 7/12/2022 at 10:31 AM, Dages said:

The "link" give access to a zip version of the file. Maybe it will be available later.

Its available

https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&docid=802013324&srcid=share

Install JW Library if You Cannot Access an App Store—Windows

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, cricket246 said:

Iphone 12. Any idea how to get the pane to pane to work? My mom’s phone wont show scriptures or gems when flipped to the side angle.

Back in October Br. Chris posted this and it worked to get my Iphone XS Max to show the side-by-side scriptures in the horizontal (landscape) mode.

I think having this setting on Standard fixes the problem mentioned above (Study Pane not showing side-by-side in landscape mode on iPhone):

F2236838-C23C-42A8-B03C-B40D120D4AD6.thumb.jpeg.d9db6f944f49f93a1a5c6884ccb83ac5.jpeg

3 hours ago, Luigi62 said:

It not possible on the iphone, maybe only on the bigger screens, iphone max.

It does work on my XS Max.  I thought that the text size might have an effect but it just makes a difference in how many characters or words appear in a line.  It does not change the ability to display.  It is only in the "landscape mode" that it works.

I will try it on my wife's Iphone tomorrow. She has a model 8.

UPDATE: I finally found an apk for JWLibrary 12.4 version.  I can now stream and download with that version but for some reason I can't download the Bible!  When the language box comes up the app crashes.  I can live with that though because I just need the ability to watch video's with my android box that is hooked up to my old t.v.  That is the t.v. we watch the convention and assemblies on too.  So I'm glad to have the ability to stream and download again.  I went to the Google play store and made sure the app doesn't automatically update too.

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

10 minutes ago, ivy said:

Hello! I'm trying to install jw library on windows 7. Is it possible? I read that it still can be run but will not have the latest features?

JW Library can only be run on Windows 10. You cannot run it on Windows 7 unless you use virtual machine, at which point, you are better off getting a new computer or just use smart phone version.

But yes, you can get a virtual machine to run JWL on Windows 7.

9 hours ago, ivy said:

Hello! I'm trying to install jw library on windows 7. Is it possible? I read that it still can be run but will not have the latest features?

You can do it using the Bluestacks Android emulator and install the Android version of JW Library.