JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Updates to JW Library (iOS, Android, Windows)

7 minutes ago, jwhess said:

You are correct in saying there were no separate "study" issues before 2008.

Or ..... you could say that, before 2008, they were ALL study issues

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

13 hours ago, Qapla said:

Or ..... you could say that, before 2008, they were ALL study issues

I wondered, way back in 1970, why the Watchtowers placed with the public had those deep study articles in them.  I thought it was a good thing when they decided to start a separate study edition just for publishers and advanced students.

2 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I wondered, way back in 1970, why the Watchtowers placed with the public had those deep study articles in them.  I thought it was a good thing when they decided to start a separate study edition just for publishers and advanced students.

You are so correct in wondering why. I was only 13 back then. It was just the way things were done back then. Some of the books then that we placed with the public were just as deep, such as "Babylon the Great - Gods Kingdom Rules" and "The Nation Shall Know that I am Jehovah".

People were "deeper" back in the day. :) Many people read books for fun and for learning... and without pictures! :yes:  Comprehension of complex subjects was normal and it wasn't expected that adults needed everything broken down in to bite sized pieces with very descriptive verbiage.  People enjoyed heavier topics.

If you wanted to study to get baptized, you studied the "Truth" book, no matter how old you were.  I was 10 when I started studying; baptized at 13.  That was a more seemly age than 11.... baptizing young ones was not the thing.

I think it's much the same as why we now have 50 talks at conventions and even more videos, rather than 45 min/hour-long talks.  People's attention spans are shortened for whatever reasons - having been heavily educated via video rather than books, internet reading, etc... It actually kinda makes me nutty, this ADD trend.  I like to "sink" into talks, books and let my mind rest and absorb the info.  Nowadays, I barely get five lines written from a talk and it's a new speaker -- or a video.  I don't come away with the great notes or the "soaked in" feeling from assemblies/conventions anymore.  They're great as always.... it's just not *my* particular preference.

We all adapt. :) 

It seems to me the forms tab is for the convention program (for now). 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Is anyone else having this problem (Android tablet).  For some reason, when I open JW Library, it opens to the bible (books) and if I click on "publications" it takes me to the page but if I click on any heading under publications or on the tabs next to it (what's new, pending updates) JW Library closes down and I get a message that it's stopped working.   I've tried restarting my tablet but it doesn't help.  If I stick to doing anything through my meeting tab, I'm alright - but I can't do anything from the Publications tab without it shutting down.  (I had "The Kingdom-100 years and Counting" downloaded in my video's but now I can't get to it to watch it, will have to go to Jw.org). 

Also, I got a brief look at my "pending updates" before everything shut down on me and it's basically everything that I already updated last week. 

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

There is a new section in JWL called FORMS, when did that show up?

1 hour ago, outwalkin said:

I have it in Windows. The Convention program 'form' is the only thing in it. 

I think it could be a section for Circuit Assembly and Regional Conventions programs. On JW.org, such items appears under PUBLICATIONS > BOOKS & BROCHURES. Maybe they will add a FORMS section eventually to JW.org.

3 hours ago, Tortuga said:

There is a new section in JWL called FORMS, when did that show up?

There is a section on jw.org called forms but it is in the section reserved for elders and ministerial servants. Nothing exciting, just things like blank donation receipts, artwork for public witnessing, and various administrative things. Not sure how much there would interest the average publisher. 

Anyone need a blank publisher's record card? No? Didn't think so.

Edited by cmcewen

correct typo

28 minutes ago, cmcewen said:
There is a section on jw.org called forms but it is in the section reserved for elders and ministerial servants. Nothing exciting, just things like blank donation receipts, artwork for public witnessing, and various administrative things. Not sure how much there would interest the average publisher. 

Anyone need a blank publisher's record card? No? Didn't think so.

That section also contains the public talk outlines

Edited by Musky

5 hours ago, shali said:

Is anyone else having this problem (Android tablet).  For some reason, when I open JW Library, it opens to the bible (books) and if I click on "publications" it takes me to the page but if I click on any heading under publications or on the tabs next to it (what's new, pending updates) JW Library closes down and I get a message that it's stopped working.   I've tried restarting my tablet but it doesn't help.  If I stick to doing anything through my meeting tab, I'm alright - but I can't do anything from the Publications tab without it shutting down.  (I had "The Kingdom-100 years and Counting" downloaded in my video's but now I can't get to it to watch it, will have to go to Jw.org). 

Also, I got a brief look at my "pending updates" before everything shut down on me and it's basically everything that I already updated last week. 

It's happening to me with my nexus 10 also. I guess it'll be fixed with an update soon. Bummer. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

I just received a JWL update on my android. It went from 1.7.1.14050 to 1.7.1.14052.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

After replying, I tried the app and it closed and I sent in the report. I shut down tablet and restart, and now got a few updates and JW Library is among them. Let's hope it solves problem. 

14 minutes ago, AH173 said:

It's happening to me with my nexus 10 also. I guess it'll be fixed with an update soon. Bummer. 

Does your JWL auto-update?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have tablet to inform me of updates and then I manually do it. 

The update doesn't work for me yet. I guess in time.