JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

"Now On Earth" A Book By Thomas Walker

22 minutes ago, Dove said:

The word hell is being used by news reporters  as well as politicians and others  as not considered profanity anymore..

Then I guess we'll be hearing it on JWB and at our meetings and assemblies. :lol1:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

4 hours ago, Sylv said:

I'm waiting for the Kindle version :)

Working on it. Formatting it without destroying the sections in italics and bolds, to say nothing of the headings, is oddly difficult. I'll get there.

4 hours ago, Dove said:

We always have, along with the Bible, used the word hell when referring to the common grave of mankind. But the airwaves use it as an expletive..:)

I think we've had this chat in a different thread, but here it is: The reason I don't mind using 'hell' as an expletive, is because I don't believe in it. Phrases like 'what the devil?' and 'damn you' are powerful curses in places that live in terror of hellfire and damnation, but those places are growing smaller every day. You won't find an atheist who minds using words like 'God' and 'Jesus Christ' in their cussing, for the same reason. Christians are specifically warned about taking the lords name in vain; but nobody said anything about respecting Babylon's Fairytales.

Also, this scene is a year into paradise. JSY had such phrases being used by people who hadn't declared yet, and much less so among people who had been in Paradise for centuries. This is a progressive story, after all.

Hope everyone's still enjoying it, and what's still to come.

Edited by Thomas Walker

My books are on their way from Amazon!!!  

Should be here Tuesday.

Bought both Brother Walker's and Brother

Jonathan's books in paperback.

I've already got electronic versions, but me

and another sister in my congregation,

wanted some hard copies to curl up with on

the coming loooooooooooooong, cold, dark

winter days ahead. ^_^

Will just have to patiently await 'Now On Earth' s

arrival on Amazon.:D

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

17 minutes ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

My books are on their way from Amazon!!!  

Should be here Tuesday.

Bought both Brother Walker's and Brother

Jonathan's books in paperback.

I've already got electronic versions, but me

and another sister in my congregation,

wanted some hard copies to curl up with on

the coming loooooooooooooong, cold, dark

winter days ahead. ^_^

Will just have to patiently await 'Now On Earth' s

arrival on Amazon.:D

You can put the paperbacks in your To-Go kit too!

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Thomas (Matt?) Just wondering if you would mind if I shared this with other sisters I know?  I was going to post on Facebook, but then deleted and sent it privately to her... because today is what would have been her 45th anniversary and I was thinking Chapter 4 would be such a lovely thought to focus on...what with the whole setting you've chosen.  I just love it, and I think she will too.  

I just didn't want to share without your permission!

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

1 hour ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

I just didn't want to share without your permission!

Oh sure, go ahead. Sisters in my Cong are handing out the first one to unbelieving relatives, friends in other Churches... I think the idea is that people will read a fiction book before they'll try anything the society puts out.

Thank you for sharing these chapters.  In ch. 7 it says "Don't ever lose sight of what this place is. 144,000 Princes now rule over the earth. It is now our duty to carry out that direction, and tell the world what it is, and how they can carry it out too." I was wondering if you meant Kings instead of Princes...

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

My thought from chapter 6.....ignore if you wish.

Tobacco plants will likely prove to be medicinal in some manner, and SOMEONE had doggone well better tell my mother she isn't smoking it, or they will get a gold embossed letter....with the words 'posted to Siberia'  LOL 

8000 years.... longer than man has been has been alive... my brain disconnected here, I switched from a plausible,  enjoyable frame of mind to scientifically critical...I may have to revisit this as part of my personal study.

Edited by cerebral ecstasy

32 minutes ago, cerebral ecstasy said:

Tobacco plants will likely prove to be medicinal in some manner, and SOMEONE had doggone well better tell my mother she isn't smoking it, or they will get a gold embossed letter....with the words 'posted to Siberia'  LOL 

Medicinal? Possibly, but with what purpose in the New World? Medicine won't be an issue. Which was rather the point of this section. Meat is delicious and we can eat it, but that wasn't really part of the original plan. Tobacco is lethal, but was put on this earth nonetheless. Is that because smoking it wasn't part of the plan, or because lung cancer wasn't part of the plan?

I have this theory that the earth has all the cures and treatments we could ever need, except we keep wiping out species at an alarming rate. If the debate on sovereignty is to be fair, then we have to have at least the possibility of soling our problems, simply to demonstrate that we don't have the will to do the right thing. But that will be explored further in later chapters.

8000 years.... longer than man has been has been alive... my brain disconnected here, I switched from a plausible,  enjoyable frame of mind to scientifically critical...I may have to revisit this as part of my personal study.

That's the theoretical limit. Secular scientists put the start of the Egyptian Era at a point that predates the Flood. The same argument can be made for the trees. We don't actually know how long one can live; but that's the popular theory according to Google. Plants predate humans in the Genesis account, but nobody know by how long. Unless they could survive the flood, which isn't impossible; I doubt one has made it to die of old age in a laboratory setting. (Again, that was just from a google search; correct me if I'm wrong.)

Edited by Thomas Walker

Okay, I've been researching this for a while, and here's my conclusion, for all the proofreaders out there:

Congregation. Uppercase, or lowercase 'C'.

I've gotten messages via PM, half of which say one way, the other half say the other way. I've been looking on WOL, and here's what I've come up with.

The publications use lowercase 'c' when describing a congregation, or the collective Christian congregation. But they only capitalise it when they're giving a name to a specific cong. The rest of the time, it's lower case.

My book will go the same way.

40 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

congregation? I just wonder why they squeezed my name right in the middle? LOL :lol1:

Hmmm..

Since Con means to deceive and ation means action.

It seems you are either activly deceiving or being deceived. ..

15 hours ago, Thomas Walker said:

Okay, I've been researching this for a while, and here's my conclusion, for all the proofreaders out there:

Congregation. Uppercase, or lowercase 'C'.

I've gotten messages via PM, half of which say one way, the other half say the other way. I've been looking on WOL, and here's what I've come up with.

The publications use lowercase 'c' when describing a congregation, or the collective Christian congregation. But they only capitalise it when they're giving a name to a specific cong. The rest of the time, it's lower case.

My book will go the same way.

Working in the legal field, a capital letter for "normal" words (not start of a sentence, common name, etc.) is used when the word is initially defined to mean such-and-such. For example, "Trademark application no. 1112222 for LOVE (the "Trademark")".  From that point forward, I just write "the Trademark". So, "trademark" is a general term, while "Trademark" is defined as referring to specific mark only.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:27 AM, Thomas Walker said:

New Chapters Day!

Let me know what you all think of these. It's exploring a few ideas that honestly didn't occur to me until I started writing.

You have some interesting idea and questions,  I'm looking forward to seeing more..:)

New Chapter Day!

We're coming up on the release date for the Kindle edition, and of course it will be put up free as well on the blog.

Paper version will take a bit longer, but we'll get there.

Is $3 (US) too much for the Kindle version? Kindle works on a 30% or 70% Royalty threshold. If you ask for 70%, you have to make it a minimum price of $3. I put Just See Yourself up for a dollar, originally, and got about twenty cents per copy sold. I'm hoping my fanbase is forgiving enough to go for the higher price; but at the same time I don't want to charge too high, given that my brothers and sisters are the target audience.