JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Stephen Hawking has died

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2205 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant British theoretical physicist who overcame a debilitating disease to publish wildly popular books probing the mysteries of the universe, has died, according to a family spokesman. He was 76.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/14/health/stephen-hawking-dead/index.html

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Stephen Hawking, the brilliant British theoretical physicist who overcame a debilitating disease to publish wildly popular books probing the mysteries of the universe, has died, according to a family spokesman. He was 76.
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/14/health/stephen-hawking-dead/index.html

Always sad when great minds pass away. I’m sure he will find his resurrection an exciting surprise. He’ll be healed and might have the opportunity to examine the creation forever.

🎵“I have listened to Jesus in these troublesome days,

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

40 minutes ago, Thesauron said:

Always sad when great minds pass away.

Even sadder when  great hearted people pass away. What is sad about some of our “great” scientists is that many of them are atheist. 

It shows how we are not judged on our intelligence.

It will be very interesting to see how these intellectuals respond to the realization that God exist. Someone like Charles Darwin who turned probably millions away from belief in a creator will probably turn a little red in the face. :blushing: 

Einstein (agnostic) will probably shave his mustache and start combing his hair so no one will recognize him. :whistling:

Edited by Pjdriver

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem." (tu)  

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Even sadder when  great hearted people pass away. What is sad about some of our “great” scientists is that many of them are atheist. 
It will be very interesting to see how these intellectuals respond to the realization that God exist. Someone like Charles Darwin who turned probably millions away from belief in a creator will probably turn a little red in the face. :blushing: 

Atheists, catholics, hindus. They will all learn about their creator in due time. Many, I’m sure, will learn to love him once they know who he is, perhaps even Mr. Hawking.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

1 hour ago, Pjdriver said:

That is interesting. I do not believe that Darwin was necessarily trying to turn people away from God. I believe that he could not reconcile a loving God with cruelty in the human world and in the animal Kingdom. He never learned, I don't believe, that God is not responsible for that. Likely, he was taught that we all are predestined to be in the positions we are in life and hence, it would never change, so what was the point in worshiping God? When his daughter died, I believe this compounded it for him.

So to your point, I would be more interesting in his reaction to accurate knowledge, that God was NOT responsible, that his theory was nonsense, and that he has to abandon his old beliefs and adopt new ones no matter how committed he may have been to those beliefs.

Spoiler  

I just read something about him that we can all agree with.

He said the ultimate, 'complete mystery ' is . . .
Spoiler WOMEN

Nah, they’re as much mysteries as men.

He lights up my path.

As I hear and obey.”

7 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

I think about this a lot. Since watching so many documentaries and seeing the great amount of humanity lost, many times because of ignorance, when they come back there's going to be a lot of "ah ha' moments for them. It's nearly overwhelming to think of the plethora of people and personalities, having been products of this wicked system then brought back healed and in a perfect system. Boy lots of red faces, maybe lots of grateful ones too.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

4  among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, so that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through

Satan has duped many.  We can only hope that their eyes are finally opened   

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

9 hours ago, Bob said:

That is interesting. I do not believe that Darwin was necessarily trying to turn people away from God. I believe that he could not reconcile a loving God with cruelty in the human world and in the animal Kingdom. He never learned, I don't believe, that God is not responsible for that. Likely, he was taught that we all are predestined to be in the positions we are in life and hence, it would never change, so what was the point in worshiping God? When his daughter died, I believe this compounded it for him.

So to your point, I would be more interesting in his reaction to accurate knowledge, that God was NOT responsible, that his theory was nonsense, and that he has to abandon his old beliefs and adopt new ones no matter how committed he may have been to those beliefs.

Yes, I read that book too. He blindly rejected all the design evidence because he didn’t understand certain things about Jehovah’s purpose and issues raised by Satan etc....

but even if don’t like how a certain house was built  it is foolish to believe the house has no builder.

As far as trying to turn people away from God. I would say that when someone spends his life studying, writing books and trying to prove that God doesn’t exist...that qualifies as trying to turn people away from God. I’m not saying that was his only reason, but that part of it sure had a lot of success.

The bigger culprit of course is Babylon the great...especially Christendom who has failed to teach truth and  created an environment for individuals like Darwin to have any credibility. 

I hope learning the the truth after the resurrection will change individuals like Darwin. When he learns of the tremendous negative impact he had on people of the past 150 years he will be ashamed, if he really was well meaning.

Edited by Pjdriver

All spelling and grammatical errors are for your enjoyment and entertainment only and are copyright Burt, aka Pjdriver.

Like other scientists, Hawking get pay what he says. No matter what he right or wrong, he is going to say it. Many times scientist like Hawking are in a race. They want to be first to get theirs theories out so they can get a grade or credit for it. The is the real world in the Universities they go to. They want to be the first. Not only that. millions of dollars are involved too.

If he wanted to ‘know the mind of God’ he should have just asked for a Bible study. We know His character anyway.

I remember him saying in the 1980’s that there was a 50/50 chance of discovering a Theory of Everything by 2000. It was obviously a bit harder than he thought.

Now, if someone could just help me with my question about Hawking Radiation, ...

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

17 hours ago, Pjdriver said:

Yes, I read that book too. He blindly rejected all the design evidence because he didn’t understand certain things about Jehovah’s purpose and issues raised by Satan etc....

but even if don’t like how a certain house was built  it is foolish to believe the house has no builder.

But if I don't remember wrong Darwin believed that God was the ultimate Creator, the one who produced the first living organism and who established the rules by which it would evolve.

Edited by carlos

1 hour ago, Shawnster said:

They escape suckage.

If the virtual particles are opposites how come the black hole always loses mass? Half would add mass, half would reduce mass.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

52 minutes ago, carlos said:

But if I don't remember wrong Darwin believed that God was the ultimate Creator, the one who produced the first living organism and who established the rules by which it would evolve.

I think Darwin’s views on that fluctuated. At one point I think he described himself as a “theist”....belief that a higher power set things in Motion, but not a God that intervened in mans affairs. I think, similar to Hawking (?).

At the end of his life I believe he called himself an “agnostic”. So while not a true atheist, he was kind of on the fence. Evidently he didn’t believe the Bible or accept Christianity  and ruled out the possibility of humans having a relationship with God. He was/is heartedly accepted by atheist.