JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

8 hours ago, Witness1970 said:

I guess I was one of the culprits about getting off topic. I had considered being a vegetarian for about the past 50 years. My wife eats a lot of meat-based meals.

The easiest thing for me would be an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Or, maybe just the "ovo' part. I do love eggs

Pure vegans as I have said before won't wear things made from animal products. The refuse to eat any honey or eggs or milk because all those things come from animals. I don't hink I can go that route.

Ja'in vegetarians won't eat anything that grows underground. Potatoes, carrots and peanuts would all be taboo. I could not do that either.

I would have to be a moderate vegetarian. I may even eat chicken and fish on occasion.

@ Sister Uani: Love the new picture.

Just do what you think is best for you. You don’t have to put yourself in a box. For example, I prefer to say I eat a mostly Whole Foods plant based diet, not that I’m vegan. Why? Because I don’t agree with the ideology of most vegans because I don’t find anything morally wrong with eating animals or wearing animal products. Plus, I’ve eaten honey here and there. Not crazy about it though. I went vegan for health reasons. Not environmental or “ethical reasons”.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:25 PM, Brother Jack said:

Actually, in the new world, we will most likely be vegan. M

Really? Where is that from Jehovah, through Jesus, via the slave?

I mean, I don't know either way, but something like that should be backed up via our publications. Perhaps it was and is? 

I consider myself as a partly vegetarian. Why? Because I hardly ever eat meat, but that's because frankly I don't see the purpose of it! The close I get to eating meat is tuna, and salmon...fresh salmon from Whole Foods. 

Second reason for not eating meat: it keeps more money in my pocket that I can use for something else more profitable. 

Sometimes though if I'm invited out, or just out, I might eat a sampling of a piece of meat, figuring that what harm can it do to my body. 

Third reason: have you ever went online to a farm and saw or watched what they do to those poor animals, how they're treated? It's so sad. Yet I'm supposed to buy a piece of that badly treated animal, cook him and then enjoy him? I can't. At least not on a regular basis. The last time I ate an animal was I don't even remember. 

13 hours ago, Luezette said:

Really? Where is that from Jehovah, through Jesus, via the slave?

I mean, I don't know either way, but something like that should be backed up via our publications. Perhaps it was and is? 

I said most likely, not that we would based on how it was in the beginning. I said that a long time ago. I really don’t want this thread to turn into a debate again :)

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

Today I went to Loving Hut, a vegan restaurant about 5 minutes away in my hometown. I had a Mexican seitan wrap and a vanilla cake. I also had a side of golden rolls but I ate them before I could take a picture :eat: it was so good :)

A9D854DE-C3BE-4C4C-BD39-66899C22DD1C.jpeg

4966CE3C-2C7F-44D6-BAC2-C16A8D750700.jpeg

I had mentioned in an earlier post that the black bean soft tacos at Taco Cabana are good. Here’s a couple pictures of two I had recently...

92B1A94E-8F65-4DDD-8621-FD656B8B5B46.jpeg

2C18D651-A2F9-41DB-BD57-5425DF539C5B.jpeg

On 7/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, Brother Jack said:

I wanted to get all the fast food eating out of my system because I’m about to go raw for like 1 1/2 or 2 months before I eat out once a week again to lose the rest of my weight. I’m currently 191 lbs (86 kilograms). I’ll keep you guys posted.     

Hey guys. I’m now down to 176 lbs (79 kilograms) I only have 16 more pounds to lose before I’m back to the weight I was in my prime. My progress was slowed down because I kept cheating on my diet and eating high calorie foods. But over all I’ve lost 55 lbs by cutting out meat, dairy and high calorie foods, which is a miracle on the medication I take. I plan to buy a home gym once I get to my bottom weight and get back into body building. I can’t wait 😁 

By the way, I have cooked food still even while trying to lose weight as long as I don’t eat much more the same day. 

Although the video is entitled vegan vs meat bodybuilding, I’m not bashing meat eaters or trying to say that it’s better to be vegan as a bodybuilder. I just wanted to show that it’s certainly possible to get enough protein and build muscle on a vegan diet. I’m looking forward to lifting weights again because I’ve heard people say after they went vegan that they were stronger and recovered from their workouts faster. I want to see if it’s true. I’m sure the sisters will enjoy this video :lol:

3 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Hey guys. I’m now down to 176 lbs (79 kilograms) I only have 16 more pounds to lose before I’m back to the weight I was in my prime. My progress was slowed down because I kept cheating on my diet and eating high calorie foods. But over all I’ve lost 55 lbs by cutting out meat, dairy and high calorie foods, which is a miracle on the medication I take. I plan to buy a home gym once I get to my bottom weight and get back into body building. I can’t wait 😁 

By the way, I have cooked food still even while trying to lose weight as long as I don’t eat much more the same day. 

Wow! Congratulations! Im proud of you! 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:20 PM, Brother Jack said:

I bought a home gym and some weights. I can’t wait to get back into shape 😁

Edited by Brother Jack

16 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I bought a home gym and some weights. I can’t wait to get back into shape 😁

Yep! There's absolutely nothing like working out! 

I work out at Planet Fitness and I feel soooo good afterwards. I just have to get a better and workable schedule. Only thing is though I went straight to the gym the day or two after coming home from the hospital and a sister got on me about it, feeling that it was too soon.

In hindsight, I think she was right.

Lol.

Edited by Luezette

32 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Yep! There's absolutely nothing like working out! 

I work out at Planet Fitness and I feel soooo good afterwards. I just have to get a better and workable schedule. Only thing is though I went straight to the gym the day or two after coming home from the hospital and a sister got on me about it, feeling that it was too soon.

In hindsight, I think she was right.

Lol.

Yeah you have to be careful when working out. When I used to work out before I never liked to start if I was too thin. I would bulk a little before starting. It just seemed safer that way. 

• 2 weeks later...

My mother told me "You are what you eat!" Therefore I believe that cows, chickens, sheep and pigs are vegetables. They all eat vegetables. IMHO!

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Went to Burger King and tried the impossible whopper. It was decent. If you’re vegan you will have to get it without cheese and mayo. Wasn’t at all impressed with the fries. I haven’t had Burger King in well over 10 years because their burgers are just too dry for me so I really couldn’t compare the real whopper with it. But the burger was good nontheless. 

1AA311AC-BA94-4DAE-B580-0F468FAEE81A.jpeg

8A880DB3-525D-4933-B06B-C4E227EF053A.jpeg

7B7BB2BF-2FC5-4CA6-9B9C-94A8CDFBF8B3.jpeg

On 8/30/2019 at 8:35 PM, Brother Jack said:

Went to Burger King and tried the impossible whopper. It was decent. If you’re vegan you will have to get it without cheese and mayo. Wasn’t at all impressed with the fries. I haven’t had Burger King in well over 10 years because their burgers are just too dry for me so I really couldn’t compare the real whopper with it. But the burger was good nontheless. 

1AA311AC-BA94-4DAE-B580-0F468FAEE81A.jpeg

8A880DB3-525D-4933-B06B-C4E227EF053A.jpeg

7B7BB2BF-2FC5-4CA6-9B9C-94A8CDFBF8B3.jpeg

I had another impossible whopper last night and another an hour ago. They are better then I thought. The first burger I bought that you see in the picture was over cooked. The last two that I bought were nothing like that. The meat wasn’t that dark. The first one I had didn’t taste exactly like meat but very close. The ones I had last night and tonight tasted exactly like meat. So much so thought I thought they had run out of impossible whopper patties and didn’t want to tell me. Very impressed with this burger. It’s the most convincing veggie burger I’ve ever had.

Every time my sister tries a veggie burger she always says “this is good but it’s nothing like mine.” She tried one today and to my surprise she admitted that it’s better than hers. 

Here’s a dish I had recently from an Asian/Vietnamese fusion restaurant called Pho 95. It’s callled bun dau hu. It has (from online menu) Golden Crisp Tofu with vermicelli, bean sprouts, and lettuce. Topped with peanuts, cilantro, cucumber, and pickled veggies. Served with soy sauce.

it’s better than it looks. They also have the best soy sauce.

F535E62B-E277-46BE-A55C-48E0AA5FD08D.jpeg

Here’s a vegan chicken curry my sister made for me that I had today. I ate a lot of it before I took the picture. It had rice and greens as well. Don’t mind the rice with the curry. I did that. It was very good. 

EC3C04C2-33E9-4BE7-BE92-49F9E556AF82.jpeg

Tong told CNN that while it wasn't clear what caused this increase in stroke risk, it could be caused by "very low cholesterol levels or very low levels of some nutrients." While still having a lower risk of heart disease than meat eaters, pescatarians did not have the increased risk of stroke that vegetarians exhibited.

An interesting study revealed recently that while vegetarians and vegans had a markedly lower risk of heart disease ( in relation to omnivores) they also had a substantial increase in stroke risk. However, Pescatarians seemed to have lower risks in both areas.  Maybe this is why the Bible speaks of fishing in the visionary land ( Ezekiel 26:5,14 ). 

15 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I had another impossible whopper last night and another an hour ago. They are better then I thought. The first burger I bought that you see in the picture was over cooked. The last two that I bought were nothing like that. The meat wasn’t that dark. The first one I had didn’t taste exactly like meat but very close. The ones I had last night and tonight tasted exactly like meat. So much so thought I thought they had run out of impossible whopper patties and didn’t want to tell me. Very impressed with this burger. It’s the most convincing veggie burger I’ve ever had.

Every time my sister tries a veggie burger she always says “this is good but it’s nothing like mine.” She tried one today and to my surprise she admitted that it’s better than hers. 

Alright, looks like I’m just gonna havevto try one.  The quality of Burger Kings Meat products ( like so many of the mass produced Burger factories) has been lackluster and fading over the  years . Maybe they actually will produce a palatable non meat based product. I sincerely hope so.   

I did have a very nice black bean based vegan burger at a fine dining restaurant in New Albany Indiana that did satisfy. So, I find it’s possible. 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:53 PM, BenJepthah said:

Tong told CNN that while it wasn't clear what caused this increase in stroke risk, it could be caused by "very low cholesterol levels or very low levels of some nutrients." While still having a lower risk of heart disease than meat eaters, pescatarians did not have the increased risk of stroke that vegetarians exhibited.

An interesting study revealed recently that while vegetarians and vegans had a markedly lower risk of heart disease ( in relation to omnivores) they also had a substantial increase in stroke risk. However, Pescatarians seemed to have lower risks in both areas.  Maybe this is why the Bible speaks of fishing in the visionary land ( Ezekiel 26:5,14 ). 

Although the article said that “The research shows that people who cut out meat from their diet are significantly healthier than meat eaters”, I thought the information on stroke could be a little misleading. It’s talking about hemorrhagic strokes, which are rare. This article says that vegetarians and vegans don’t get this type of stroke more than meat eaters. Meat eaters get the common type of stroke way more often than those who don’t include meat or dairy in their diet. Please read this article. 

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190909/Reports-that-vegetarians-and-vegans-at-higher-risk-for-stroke-are-misleading.aspx

On 9/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, BenJepthah said:

Alright, looks like I’m just gonna havevto try one.  The quality of Burger Kings Meat products ( like so many of the mass produced Burger factories) has been lackluster and fading over the  years . Maybe they actually will produce a palatable non meat based product. I sincerely hope so.   

I did have a very nice black bean based vegan burger at a fine dining restaurant in New Albany Indiana that did satisfy. So, I find it’s possible. 

I don’t know how I didn’t see this post earlier. Yeah, I liked it. You may too :)