JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

14 hours ago, Græme said:

if I can find the brand Violife in the UK would love to try too.

You might find it at Tesco: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/fresh-food/dairy-alternatives/dairy-alternative-cheese/all

I don’t know if you’re also looking for a good alternative for milk? Personally I like This one very much. It’s perfect for a good  cappuccino 😊

On 6/24/2020 at 6:31 PM, Græme said:

...seems interesting with the Pimento ...but it’s made with coconut as most synthetic cheeses’ are, which tastes a bit sickly in vegan cheese in my opinion, as long as I can’t taste the coconut I may try this 

Yes I had some coconut butter on toast for breakfast a while ago and felt a bit sickly after that :sick: so I'll stick with cow and goats butter.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, Naturale said:

I discovered that if you add chopped cooked carrots and an onion, 1/2 tin of tomatoes, plus parsley or oregano, pinch of cayenne and worcester sauce if you like,  to a tin of refried beans and put in a dish then cover with mash potatoes and cheese on top and bake of 25 minutes it can pass as a cottage pie :)  (put cheese on top 10 minutes before end)

I bet mushrooms would be good with the beans as they bring a meatiness to dishes. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 4:02 PM, Lieblingskind said:

Vegan Bolognese sauce. Daughter liked it, so perhaps close to the original!

bolognese.jpg

redbeetburgers.jpg

redbeetbur.jpg

I'm seeing a lot of imitation meat in this thread. Is it important for you that vegan/vegetarian food looks and tastes like meat?

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Myew said:

Was it designed? Avert your eyes, vegans.

I’m vegan (prefer to say plant based) and don’t find anything disturbing about plants or animals eating animals nor do I find it morally wrong for humans to eat animals.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

42 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I’m vegan (prefer to say plant based) and don’t find anything disturbing about plants or animals eating animals nor do I find it morally wrong for humans to eat animals.

Good man, balanced.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

11 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Okay. I'm not really sure how you define vegan. I just call that a plant based diet, not a vegan lifestyle. I was not only referring to the fact that the plant eats insects, but that it traps them, digests them alive, sucks them dry and leaves nothing but a husk of chitin. Most vegans would find that concept deplorable. But we know it was designed for a good purpose.

https://www.vegan.com/what/ "You can use the word vegan to identify a sandwich, a car seat, a shampoo, or a person. Given the word’s flexibility, seeking an accurate and uncontested definition inevitably produces disagreement. You’re always going to have bickering over who or what qualifies as vegan."

5 hours ago, Myew said:

Okay. I'm not really sure how you define vegan. I just call that a plant based diet, not a vegan lifestyle. I was not only referring to the fact that the plant eats insects, but that it traps them, digests them alive, sucks them dry and leaves nothing but a husk of chitin. Most vegans would find that concept deplorable. But we know it was designed for a good purpose.

https://www.vegan.com/what/ "You can use the word vegan to identify a sandwich, a car seat, a shampoo, or a person. Given the word’s flexibility, seeking an accurate and uncontested definition inevitably produces disagreement. You’re always going to have bickering over who or what qualifies as vegan."

The reason I said I prefer to say plant based is because I don’t agree with many vegan people’s ideology on the subject. Many vegans choose the lifestyle for “ethical” purposes. I disagree that there’s something morally wrong with eating or wearing animal products. I especially don’t understand these type of vegans who call themselves Christian when Jesus ate meat and many faithful servants of God with God’s permission. I don’t see how they can reconcile that with the notion that refraining from eating meat is more ethical.

I also said what I said to show that not all people who eat a vegan diet are turned off by animals or people eating other animals. I know several who aren’t 🙂 Wasn’t trying to be argumentative, just wanted to share my thoughts on it.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I wonder if non-Witnesses who practice a vegan lifestyle find this description of how to cook and eat the Passover lamb, disturbing, unethical, or morally wrong.

“‘They must eat the meat on this night. They should roast it over the fire and eat it along with unleavened bread and bitter greens. 9 Do not eat any of it raw or boiled, cooked in water, but roast it over the fire, its head together with its shanks and its inner parts. 10 You must not save any of it until morning, but any of it left over until morning you should burn with fire." --- Exodus. 12:8-10

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

14 hours ago, minister159 said:

I wonder if non-Witnesses who practice a vegan lifestyle find this description of how to cook and eat the Passover lamb, disturbing, unethical, or morally wrong.

“‘They must eat the meat on this night. They should roast it over the fire and eat it along with unleavened bread and bitter greens. 9 Do not eat any of it raw or boiled, cooked in water, but roast it over the fire, its head together with its shanks and its inner parts. 10 You must not save any of it until morning, but any of it left over until morning you should burn with fire." --- Exodus. 12:8-10

In a way, this is like asking if our not using crosses/idols/keeping Xmas/using God's name would offend a Catholic.

Jehovah decides what is the standards and instructions for worship and food. Humans may set their own standards, but Jehovah is our Creator and would we want to get into dispute with his standards? That would be presumptuous.

He has made allowances for humans eating meat, but with codicils that are significant. Jews never ate meat so regularly. Many of the Sacrifices under the later Mosaic Law were  for eating as a communion sacrifice to show you are as one with God and an animal gave up it's life and was bled to cover your sins, but not enough forever.He stated his instructions/rituals for this. The Temple's floors of dining rooms for each family were for this purpose and many sacrifices had portions for the priests to eat as well. Few sacrifices were completely burned.

With the Passover lamb, you chose the best and cared for it and killed it and bled it to show how serious the sacrifice was and that it was also done every year to show that until Messiah, the life lost was enough for the year, but not as good as forever with the True Passover Lamb. The rituals surrounding the animal's death meant it was not a trivial death - of no regard. They weren't to splatter it's blood on the threshold to be trampled underfoot only overhead and to the side to be passed through as important for representing the saving of their lives. Usually, they did not waste much of the animal, but in this case, they could not ,keep dry or cure left-over meat as they were immediately to go on a long journey. Only live animals that could be driven along, were to be taken.

Hunting always required instant bleeding of an animal, so they could not shoot enmasse like many trophy/sports hunters have done/now do. This would be anathema to Jehovah. Animals were not killed for no reason/sport. Hunters - as their main occupation - were not revered by Jehovah - any in the Bible tend to have a poor reputation.

Jesus was a perfect man in God's eyes. He ate and went to the Temple perfectly and exactly to the Jewish law every year. He cooked fish over a fire for his disciples and prayed over the food. He did not resent his cousins' fishing trade - they willingly went back to it without bad conscience, Jesus merely wanted them not to make it a priority in their lives because of his commission and even performed miracles to increase their haul on 2 occasions, so they could get on with their being fishers of men. He fed thousands with miraculous fish on a couple of occasions as well. Are we to be offended or will we discern why Jehovah allows this and  not impose our personal choices in this regard. 

Vegans may find, like all the rest of us, that in the New World, that even what they thought was the true/best lifestyle and diet is not the ideal way of eating either. Many have to supplement their diets and many find that they over consume carbohydrates and legumes (with negative phyto-chemicals that can bind away minerals from the digestion) to get enough protein and can be as deficient as the rest of us because much of these things are now poor hybrids/GMO,  stored so long before reaching shop shelves, they are meagre for nutrition density.

Science only recently discovered the important digestive aid = microbiome, only to find that much of it's variety is now extinct in most of human guts. We therefore don't digest as we should nor create enough enzymes to get the most from what we eat like other mammals do. It's so bad they don't exactly know what a perfect digestion really resembles. We couldn't survive and thrive in most societies eating as Adam did because he had so much variety in his perfect guts to digest it and growing around him to feed himself. God knew this would happen, so allowed animals as food, so everyone in all terrains could eat OK in their short lives, until the New World when we get 1000 years of education and paradise to relearn perfect feeding and digesting.

Try telling an Inuit in the arctic in winter to go vegan or a Masai in a hot desert area - it would not be fair on them - and there are many poor people around the planet who don't have  the luxury of diet choices, so God and us make allowances and don't impose on people more than Jehovah allows.We hope sincere Vegans would learn & discern to do the same for now. None of us is perfect - live forever - have knowledge/environement for  the 'ideal' or superior way. We stay submissive and wait for it coming and live with whatever we can within our Creator's standards.

6 hours ago, retroHelen said:

Jesus was a perfect man in God's eyes. He ate and went to the Temple perfectly and exactly to the Jewish law every year.

Yes, and he ate the Passover lamb each year, including his last Passover meal with his apostles the night before he was executed. Even though he was about to offer his own perfect body as a sacrifice, as a fulfillment of the Law and what it foreshadowed, he didn't neglect celebrating the Passover right down to end according to the letter of the Law.

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" --- Jim Morrison

"The more I know, the less I understand. All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again" --- Don Henley

7 hours ago, retroHelen said:

Hunting always required instant bleeding of an animal, so they could not shoot enmasse like many trophy/sports hunters have done/now do. This would be anathema to Jehovah. Ani

Trophy hunters shoot “ Enmasse” ?  Could clarify please? Do you mean to say that Trophy hunters shoot an entire herd ? Or that they shoot many projectiles at a single target? Or do you mean that many trophy hunters shoot at the same target? Or are you saying that a certain kind of animal is also called an “ Enmasse?” 

7 hours ago, retroHelen said:

Vegans may find, like all the rest of us, that in the New World, that even what they thought was the true/best lifestyle and diet is not the ideal way of eating either.

I think that perfect humanity will simply be capable of photosynthesis and never have to eat at all. We will just stand in the sun and turn slightly green.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, retroHelen said:

Try telling an Inuit in the arctic in winter to go vegan or a Masai in a hot desert area - it would not be fair on them - and there are many poor people around the planet who don't have  the luxury of diet choices, so God and us make allowances and don't impose on people more than Jehovah allows.We hope sincere Vegans would learn & discern to do the same for now. None of us is perfect - live forever - have knowledge/environement for  the 'ideal' or superior way. We stay submissive and wait for it coming and live with whatever we can within our Creator's standards.

This isn't a page for meat eaters to put down vegans and vegetarians :)  This page is really primarily for recipes without meat  etc and chat. No vegan or vegetarian here is imposing anything on a meat eater.    There are many reasons why people choose not to eat meat.  Not everyone likes meat or can digest it even.  

Edited by Naturale