JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

Although the article said that “The research shows that people who cut out meat from their diet are significantly healthier than meat eaters”, I thought the information on stroke could be a little misleading. It’s talking about hemorrhagic strokes, which are rare. This article says that vegetarians and vegans don’t get this type of stroke more than meat eaters. Meat eaters get the common type of stroke way more often than those who don’t include meat or dairy in their diet. Please read this article. 

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20190909/Reports-that-vegetarians-and-vegans-at-higher-risk-for-stroke-are-misleading.aspx

That’s correct. The occlusive stroke is more common in meat eaters. The Hemorragic stroke is more common in vegans and vegetarians. I’ll explain. 

Occlusive strokes are directly related to atherosclerosis. Which also is a primary precursor to heart disease. Which is far more common than hemorrhagic strokes.

Hemorrhagic strokes occur from a number of factors. Low platelet counts being one. More commonly from pharmaceutical agents such as apixaban, Coumadin, and aspirin. ( all of which are used to prevent strokes and heart disease). As Aspirin and Coumadin are plant derivatives it follows that certain plant based diets can be problematic if they are high in anticoagulants. While some clotting factors may be lacking in such diets as they are readily found in animal based food sources. 

This is why the Pescatarian diets do well all around. They tend to be rich in omega 3 which is not readily converted into plaque forming substances and also tend to have a higher plant based content for satiation ( fullness). Also generally the mineral profile of such diets is more bioavailable. This results in a blood profile that contains a close balance of nutrients and requires little supplementation and avoids the hazard of having additional clotting factors and plaque forming fatty acids ( usually Omega 6 found in grain fed beef) or an over abundance of anticoagulants as found in some plants. 

What to take away. Some plants cannot be consumed safely when taking pharmaceutical anticoagulants because they work too well and CAN contribute to hemorrhages. But eating a meat based diet ( one that is sourced from red meat that is grain fed especially) can contribute to another type of stroke ( occlusive).  Both diets tend to require some supplements ( vitamin and mineral ).  The Pescatarian diet tends to thwart both extremes. Why? ( Omega 3 fatty acids ).  And a balance of Vitamins and minerals from from all sources without intake of too many anticoagulant agents from any one source. 

Eat Vegan and avoid heart disease and Occlusive strokes . But be careful about plant based anticoagulants and be sure to find a good mineral supplement .  Or eat a diet rich in Omega 3 and avoid commercially produced red meat ( especially grain fed).  **for those who don’t like fish this is tough. So, deer meat and bison that is grass fed count as fish on a cardiac diet ( both are equivalent to Salmon on a Cardiovascular diet). 

10 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

That’s correct. The occlusive stroke is more common in meat eaters. The Hemorragic stroke is more common in vegans and vegetarians. I’ll explain. 

Occlusive strokes are directly related to atherosclerosis. Which also is a primary precursor to heart disease. Which is far more common than hemorrhagic strokes.

Hemorrhagic strokes occur from a number of factors. Low platelet counts being one. More commonly from pharmaceutical agents such as apixaban, Coumadin, and aspirin. ( all of which are used to prevent strokes and heart disease). As Aspirin and Coumadin are plant derivatives it follows that certain plant based diets can be problematic if they are high in anticoagulants. While some clotting factors may be lacking in such diets as they are readily found in animal based food sources. 

This is why the Pescatarian diets do well all around. They tend to be rich in omega 3 which is not readily converted into plaque forming substances and also tend to have a higher plant based content for satiation ( fullness). Also generally the mineral profile of such diets is more bioavailable. This results in a blood profile that contains a close balance of nutrients and requires little supplementation and avoids the hazard of having additional clotting factors and plaque forming fatty acids ( usually Omega 6 found in grain fed beef) or an over abundance of anticoagulants as found in some plants. 

What to take away. Some plants cannot be consumed safely when taking pharmaceutical anticoagulants because they work too well and CAN contribute to hemorrhages. But eating a meat based diet ( one that is sourced from red meat that is grain fed especially) can contribute to another type of stroke ( occlusive).  Both diets tend to require some supplements ( vitamin and mineral ).  The Pescatarian diet tends to thwart both extremes. Why? ( Omega 3 fatty acids ).  And a balance of Vitamins and minerals from from all sources without intake of too many anticoagulant agents from any one source. 

Eat Vegan and avoid heart disease and Occlusive strokes . But be careful about plant based anticoagulants and be sure to find a good mineral supplement .  Or eat a diet rich in Omega 3 and avoid commercially produced red meat ( especially grain fed).  **for those who don’t like fish this is tough. So, deer meat and bison that is grass fed count as fish on a cardiac diet ( both are equivalent to Salmon on a Cardiovascular diet). 

Thanks for your input. I have a hard time believing that the diet Jehovah originally intended for us to eat can be detrimental to our health. Humans start having all sorts of health problem when they introduce foods we weren’t meant to eat in their diets or suffer side effects from unnatural pharmaceutical medication. I’m pretty sure the plants Jehovah designed have just the amount of anti coagulation properties in them and pharmaceutical drugs probably have a high concentration, resulting in imbalance. Reminds me of protein. Fruit and vegetables have just the amount of protein that the human body needs. Meat and dairy tend to have too much and it can lead to kidney problems. 

You don’t have to eat fish to get omega 3. Some vegans who are new to the lifestyle tend to be deficient in B12 and omega 3 because they don’t know how to get these nutrients or are unaware of them. Some anti vegans would have you think it’s the end of the world for vegans because of this deficiency. All you have to do is take a B12 supplement and eat foods high I’m omega 3. Problem solved. 

B12 is something humans would have originally gotten from plants. The problem is that our food is too “clean”. We lack the beneficial gut bacteria to make B12. Farm animals are in the same boat. That’s why 90% of B12 supplements are feed to farm animals. When people get B12 from meat, they are only getting it second hand. 

As far as omega 3 goes, avocados, flax seeds, chia seeds, spinach, Brussel sprouts and others contain it. I eat about 10 avocados a week and flax seeds. I don’t worry about it. Shrimp is good but I hate fish and seafood with a passion. I’m glad I don’t have to eat it to get omega 3. 

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

3 hours ago, Hanah45 said:

My new favorite breakfast, Beyond Beef hot Italian sausage and fresh sauerkraut.  It has 16 grams of plant protein and probiotic as well. 

Delicious and nutritious. 

This sounds delish! Gonna check my local store for it ❤

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

On 9/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, BenJepthah said:

Tong told CNN that while it wasn't clear what caused this increase in stroke risk, it could be caused by "very low cholesterol levels or very low levels of some nutrients." While still having a lower risk of heart disease than meat eaters, pescatarians did not have the increased risk of stroke that vegetarians exhibited.

An interesting study revealed recently that while vegetarians and vegans had a markedly lower risk of heart disease ( in relation to omnivores) they also had a substantial increase in stroke risk. However, Pescatarians seemed to have lower risks in both areas.  Maybe this is why the Bible speaks of fishing in the visionary land ( Ezekiel 26:5,14 ). 

The Omega 3's in oily fish are very beneficial for health.  When we get short of Omega 3's we come up against a whole array of health problems as Omega 3's are essential fats. Our bodies and minds do not function properly without them.  As vegans do not eat oily fish  it can be a challenge to get enough Omega 3's and many don't.  It is vital to have knowledge on the subject and understand the alternative sources of Omega 3's - seeds such as flax seeds, hemp, chia and nuts, especially fresh walnuts, seaweed and  brussel sprouts contain a lot of it surprisingly.

Edited by Naturale

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 10:18 PM, Brother Jack said:

The next day I went back to Dallas to go to Da munchies again. I had the “Big Mac n’ cheese buffalo chick’ em sammich.” It was really good. I wanted to get all the fast food eating out of my system because I’m about to go raw for like 1 1/2 or 2 months before I eat out once a week again to lose the rest of my weight. I’m currently 191 lbs (86 kilograms). I’ll keep you guys posted. 

I finally reached my goal of 160 lbs! The last 15 lbs were so hard to lose, especially the last 5. I lost 31 lbs since I wrote this and 71 lbs in total (32 kg) my weight kept going up and down because I cheated a few times. I’m now the weight I was in my early 20’s. I’m so happy! I will start lifting weights tomorrow.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

22 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I finally reached my goal of 160 lbs! The last 15 lbs were so hard to lose, especially the last 5. I lost 31 lbs since I wrote this and 71 lbs in total (32 kg) my weight kept going up and down because I cheated a few times. I’m now the weight I was in my early 20’s. I’m so happy! I will start lifting weights tomorrow.

So you passed "easy" stage...? Congratulations!  Now real fight begins to KEEP IT OFF! :blues-bros

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

Oh geeeezzz, oh well.  I eat healthy.  I can't eat beef cause I'm allergic to it.  Anything from a cow I can't have.  My stomach will flip flop on me.  But, I've been on the right track as far as cooking healthy is concerned.  I mostly cook mediterranean (did i spell that right?) Oh well, everything in moderation though.  Both my husband and I are very healthy.  We eat dinner very early. At 4pm. No later then that.  After that we just might snack on something.

On 9/27/2019 at 12:15 AM, Brother Jack said:

? How tall are you??

Lets have a look at the research quoted above:

veg_CHD.png

Per 1000 people over 10 years 17 Meat eaters would get stroke and 19 vegetarians. That is insane - even the authors claim that the research needs to be replicated. The difference is so small. The difference is only 2 people per 1000.

"This is equal to 10 fewer cases of CHD in vegetarians than in meat eaters per 1000 people consuming such diets over 10 years. The difference may be at least partly due to lower BMI and lower rates of high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and diabetes linked to these diets, say the authors."

Now, the groups were not equal. Meat eaters? Omnivores rather. Omnivores eating in McDonald's? Balanced diet? Carnivores? We don't know that. We have no information about methodology and diets of the three groups.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Just to clarify - I am not against diets but I am against false statements, pseudoscience and other forms of misleading people, especially our brothers.

I went to Taco Cabana and had their beyond meat bowl and taco. The bowl has a tortilla-shell bowl filled with mexican rice, black beans, shredded lettuce, beyond Beef, sweet corn calabacita, guacamolito. It was good but just a little too spicy for my taste. Never been a fan of spicy food.

8A126EF8-3C17-4B64-98EB-AD6A281FA8CA.jpeg

79366037-5194-4956-89A6-780769187E77.jpeg

Also went to a Mexican bakery in my hometown yesterday and got a big burrito. I think it was supposed to be an authentic Mexican restaurant. It was decent. 

8AAC31D1-70CA-4366-A73E-84A828BF01E1.jpeg

F7BA2B39-3059-4CA0-B975-796F8EFBE6CB.jpeg

Alright. And with the full disclosure thatnO am a Meat Eater.  I bought the Impossiburger at Burger King along with a regular Wopper in order to do a side by side comparison. 

The Impossiburger had a slight unidentified aftertaste ( not unpleasant just marginally different) but overall was actually better tasting ( more flavorful) than the regular whopper. 

The texture and visual look of the patty was nearly identical. Even the grill lines looked authentic. 

Finally price. The Impossiburger was $1 more than the regular whopper which doesn’t seem unreasonable. 

Summation: This was a good culinary experience.

57 minutes ago, BenJepthah said:

Alright. And with the full disclosure thatnO am a Meat Eater.  I bought the Impossiburger at Burger King along with a regular Wopper in order to do a side by side comparison. 

The Impossiburger had a slight unidentified aftertaste ( not unpleasant just marginally different) but overall was actually better tasting ( more flavorful) than the regular whopper. 

The texture and visual look of the patty was nearly identical. Even the grill lines looked authentic. 

Finally price. The Impossiburger was $1 more than the regular whopper which doesn’t seem unreasonable. 

Yes, I’ve heard others say the impossible burger tasted better. It’s more expensive because the ingredients are expensive. Vegetarian/vegan food is almost always more expensive than the food it’s imitating for that very reason.

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

Re: the Impossiburger 

The secret ingredient is HEME .  Found in Blood and oddly enough SOY roots. And , of coarse, meet.  Never saw that one.

“Plants, particularly nitrogen-fixing plants and legumes, also contain heme. The plant-based hememolecule is identical to the hememolecule found in meat. To produce heme protein from non-animal sources, Impossible Foods selected the leghemoglobin molecule found naturally in the roots of soy plants.”

So they use the plant HEME.   

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

4 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

The grill lines are real. My understanding is that both burgers are cooked on the same grill.

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

• 2 weeks later...

I had this vegan impossible burger at a place in Dallas called Sankofa Kitchen last week. It was very good. Sorry but the close up picture came out blurry.

419BD191-8CBD-4ADC-968B-86514A3819A4.jpeg

F4ED2A8F-0ED9-426F-834E-F857088F96A5.jpeg

Today I went to a vegan soul food restaurant in Grand Prairie, less than 15 minutes from my house. Didn’t even have to get on the highway. I had a “chicken” sandwich with yams and loaded fries. Everything was sooo good. I was skeptical about how the yams would taste but it was very good. The pic with the loaded fries didn’t come out right side up.

19370D06-7B79-42C2-A302-D4A299BDB2C5.jpeg

85406310-9A51-468D-9F06-DE0B44DF6287.jpeg

3 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

I had this vegan impossible burger at a place in Dallas called Sankofa Kitchen last week. It was very good. Sorry but the close up picture came out blurry.

419BD191-8CBD-4ADC-968B-86514A3819A4.jpeg

F4ED2A8F-0ED9-426F-834E-F857088F96A5.jpeg

Like your shoes... 

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..