JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

I just made this. It’s mexican rice with black beans, chopped avocado, tomatoes and cilantro. I later added some Taco Bell mild hot sauce to it. It was very good :eat:

642F2953-42D5-4496-B9F4-3CC19E87BAAE.jpeg

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 7:53 PM, Brother Jack said:

Today I went to a vegan soul food restaurant in Grand Prairie, less than 15 minutes from my house. Didn’t even have to get on the highway. I had a “chicken” sandwich with yams and loaded fries. Everything was sooo good. I was skeptical about how the yams would taste but it was very good. The pic with the loaded fries didn’t come out right side up.

19370D06-7B79-42C2-A302-D4A299BDB2C5.jpeg

85406310-9A51-468D-9F06-DE0B44DF6287.jpeg

I went back to the soul food restaurant Friday and had a burger. I had it with double meat and double cheese. I chose mash potatoes as a side. Very good :eat:

177A41D7-F816-4F78-B4B1-1CA6D0B6DDC7.jpeg

13419361-E271-4FC7-979A-480521E53819.jpeg

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

I made some spaghetti with vegan sausage and follow your heart vegan Parmesan cheese the other night...

463B4BF8-F439-4F16-A0F6-B9144329E546.jpeg

Edited by Brother Jack

Loving the vegan food pictures... I'm also loving the recipes

Spiritually I personally would avoid the 2 Facebook groups posted as some in the first one  there aren't actually Witnesses, and in the other one the admin was actually asking viewpoints regarding philosophy... When another brother spoke up stating that's not a good idea(regarding the philosophy) he was told that philosophy is not a bad thing. I left after seeing that conversation.. So for one's own spiritual health I would avoid these groups. .😷😓😁😧😧😧😧sorry I'm having a minor issue with the emojis can't delete the ones I didn't want.

Edited by BlaqueCalalilly

I may be tired and in pain :wheelchair: but I'll never   :surrender: to it just send some encouraging words or hugs  :kisscheek:  :encourage:  and I'll return the same   :kisscheek:  :encourage:

On 7/28/2019 at 7:11 PM, Hope said:

Also... regarding the animals humans mostly eat- domestic animals- we ARE at peace with them. Cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens- they hang around humans all the time, peacefully. 

There is no real reason for domestic animals if not to eat them. Makes me wonder why Abel was raising them in the first place... 🤔

With a herd of sheep there would be no need for a lawn mower. 😎

Edited by Witness1970

I stopped by Burger King and had another impossible whopper. It wasn’t cooked to death like the first one I had. It was just right :eat:

C48E386F-3C89-4914-826A-5B24C64434D0.jpeg

On 10/21/2019 at 10:08 PM, Brother Jack said:

I went back to the soul food restaurant Friday and had a burger. I had it with double meat and double cheese. I chose mash potatoes as a side. Very good :eat:

177A41D7-F816-4F78-B4B1-1CA6D0B6DDC7.jpeg

13419361-E271-4FC7-979A-480521E53819.jpeg

I went back to the vegan soul food restaurant and had a burrito this time. I was very good :eat:

ADB8F3B9-BA88-4F72-88DC-7C1AB1123564.jpeg

1F0E81D3-9193-4B42-9C4D-E8496090041F.jpeg

I’m going to a veggie fair/ fegan festival in Dallas TX this Saturday. Right in my backyard. I’ll try more vegan food from the vendors there. I can’t wait 🙂

Edited by Brother Jack

I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Game Changers. Very interesting. They interviewed several professional athletes from various disciplines who have adopted vegan dietary habits. They also follow the science. Some persons interviewed: Arnold Swartzeneggar , the Guinness book record holder for the greatest weight ever lifted , the current record holder for running the Appalachian trail, and about sixteen players for the Tennessee Titans football team. And several others.  It’s worth a watch

Warning : some language and one mildly embarrassing section on men’s reproductive health.              Reference to recipes.

Edited by BenJepthah

On 10/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, BenJepthah said:

I recently watched a documentary on Netflix called Game Changers. Very interesting. They interviewed several professional athletes from various disciplines who have adopted vegan dietary habits. They also follow the science. Some persons interviewed: Arnold Swartzeneggar , the Guinness book record holder for the greatest weight ever lifted , the current record holder for running the Appalachian trail, and about sixteen players for the Tennessee Titans football team. And several others.  It’s worth a watch

Warning : some language and one mildly embarrassing section on men’s reproductive health.              Reference to recipes.

I watched it too, and made my husband watch the “special” part! 😁 They have a website as well with a lot more recipes and other helpful information. The ones I have tried are very good!

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

So, I finally tried the Impossible Burger at Burger King. It was a bit dry, but tasty. Overall, I gave it a 7. My husband tried a piece of it as well, plain, as I just broke off a piece of mine without the bun, toppings, etc. We both agreed the commercials are way over the top (as they should be). Great for a once in while treat, but since it is very highly processed, shouldn’t be part of an every day healthy eating plan, IMO.

"For God is the one who for the sake of his good pleasure energizes you, giving you both the desire and the power to act." Phil 2:13

I met up with my sister at the vegan fair today in Dallas. There were many thousands of people there. Tried food from some vendors. Here’s some food me and my sister bought. We had Mexican tacos, chili & cheese frito, pie soul food dinner plate, Chicago cheesesteak and a fried cheesecake :eat:

2386E89A-F2D7-485B-91FA-F246DF8DC44F.jpeg

FF4F3AB7-D1B3-44E3-8A4B-9BE0AB3C316C.jpeg

DC3A6102-72D2-4690-83D3-854AC358869F.jpeg

46834908-12FC-447E-B5DC-C5A2927317A3.jpeg

6EA38373-7E28-4F7A-AF87-05141164FDF4.jpeg

2554CAEE-08FA-471E-9B70-D42AC33AA739.jpeg

7C19F18C-630F-4C54-85D5-751FB9887B80.jpeg

6FFB52EF-DE38-4E23-BC80-536B9B0D0CE7.jpeg

96668759-090F-4D5B-BF61-47FAA8C1056F.jpeg

C2F76151-C767-4CF6-8416-AAEA98883408.jpeg

70434792-C335-4D39-A7CE-6F15CA39C620.jpeg

620A7DA1-4DD5-4FF3-816A-930708A4A3CE.jpeg

Edited by Brother Jack

15 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

Looks good, Brother Jack.

But how did it taste?  :D

Everything was good except for the “Chicago” cheesesteak. It wasn’t nasty but it wasn’t all that flavorful either.

On 10/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, Brother Jack said:

I had this vegan impossible burger at a place in Dallas called Sankofa Kitchen last week. It was very good. Sorry but the close up picture came out blurry.

419BD191-8CBD-4ADC-968B-86514A3819A4.jpeg

F4ED2A8F-0ED9-426F-834E-F857088F96A5.jpeg

I went back to Sankofa Kitchen last Friday and had a burrito with chips and salsa. Pretty good :eat:

B382CD97-452B-4771-BDA7-1126E84948AB.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

I went back to Sankofa Kitchen last Friday and had a burrito with chips and salsa. Pretty good :eat:

I looked into the company “ Beyond Beef” that makes the Impossiburger possible. They really have done a remarkable job of formulating a very believable and acceptable product. They even are able to do so at a fraction of the land and water resource utilization of production for beef. 

6 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

I looked into the company “ Beyond Beef” that makes the Impossiburger possible. They really have done a remarkable job of formulating a very believable and acceptable product. They even are able to do so at a fraction of the land and water resource utilization of production for beef. 

Yeah they did do a good job. There’s people who have been vegan for 30, 40 or 50 years before they had all these vegan meat options to choose from. That must have been tough!

Here’s a burrito I had from Chipotle the other day. I had their sofritas, which is shredded spicy tofu with black beans. Brown rice, corn, lettuce and pico  de gallo :eat:

CC98B742-3766-4C5D-B167-F9D3D3A0D780.jpeg

CF124B43-E5F1-48D9-8656-F260919C3D3C.jpeg

On 11/11/2019 at 3:19 PM, Brother Jack said:

I looked into the company “ Beyond Beef” that makes the Impossiburger possible. They really have done a remarkable job of formulating a very believable and acceptable product. They even are able to do so at a fraction of the land and water resource utilization of production for beef.          And now the next evolution:https://www.cnet.com/news/air-protein-launches-air-based-meat/.   Meat made from air.  This is truly amazing makes me think of Manna.

Will the new Vegan Be entirely artificial protein based?? 

4 hours ago, BenJepthah said:

I looked into the company “ Beyond Beef” that makes the Impossiburger possible. They really have done a remarkable job of formulating a very believable and acceptable product. They even are able to do so at a fraction of the land and water resource utilization of production for beef.          And now the next evolution:https://www.cnet.com/news/air-protein-launches-air-based-meat/.   Meat made from air.  This is truly amazing makes me think of Manna.

Will the new Vegan Be entirely artificial protein based?? 

I bet the texture of that meat is fluffy :lol:

On 10/23/2019 at 6:14 PM, Brother Jack said:

I stopped by Burger King and had another impossible whopper. It wasn’t cooked to death like the first one I had. It was just right :eat:

C48E386F-3C89-4914-826A-5B24C64434D0.jpeg

My son bought me one of these just yesterday and I thought it was very good..I would eat more of these..😊

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

15 hours ago, vern said:

I,d ask if over produced plant materials is dangerous to health, and GMO plant materials.....

I’d say that was a reasonable question. In fact I’ve asked it.  Assuming the honesty of the reports and depending upon the food produced: almonds for almond milk or palm trees for oil. Or soy for the Impossiburger. The answers would be different. The Impossiburger uses much less in land and water resources to produce than the same amount of beef. ( Bravo!) but Almond milk has a significant water impact.( because almonds must be grown over time in a climate ( California) that is naturally dry . If the almonds were grown elsewhere it would be better but then the cost of shipping and petroleum used would be an issue. So it’s not an easy answer for any of it.    Apart from Jehovah’s answer.

Edited by BenJepthah