JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

On 7/30/2020 at 12:24 PM, retroHelen said:

Vegans may find, like all the rest of us, that in the New World, that even what they thought was the true/best lifestyle and diet is not the ideal way of eating either. Many have to supplement their diets and many find that they over consume carbohydrates and legumes (with negative phyto-chemicals that can bind away minerals from the digestion) to get enough protein and can be as deficient as the rest of us because much of these things are now poor hybrids/GMO,  stored so long before reaching shop shelves, they are meagre for nutrition density.

Some people (including myself) have studied food and nutrition and so are very successful in maintaining a healthy diet.

"Not surprisingly, vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular. “Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for obesity, . . . constipation, lung cancer, and alcoholism,” says dietitian Johanna Dwyer in FDA Consumer. And, contrary to what some may believe, with careful, proper planning, even meatless diets “can meet Recommended Dietary Allowances for nutrients,” according to the 1995 dietary guidelines.

Edited by Naturale

On 6/25/2020 at 9:02 AM, ijsvogel said:

You might find it at Tesco: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/fresh-food/dairy-alternatives/dairy-alternative-cheese/all

I don’t know if you’re also looking for a good alternative for milk? Personally I like This one very much. It’s perfect for a good  cappuccino 😊

The unsweetened almond milk is lovely too :)

26 minutes ago, Naturale said:

This isn't a page for meat eaters to put down vegans and vegetarians :)  This page is really primarily for recipes without meat  etc and chat. No vegan or vegetarian here is imposing anything on a meat eater.    There are many reasons why people choose not to eat meat.  Not everyone likes meat or can digest it even.  

Thanks for steering this one back to its proper coarse. 

1 hour ago, Naturale said:

This isn't a page for meat eaters to put down vegans and vegetarians :)  This page is really primarily for recipes without meat  etc and chat. No vegan or vegetarian here is imposing anything on a meat eater.    There are many reasons why people choose not to eat meat.  Not everyone likes meat or can digest it even.  

That was my fault. 

There were some off topic comments made in another topic and I moved them to this topic. I apologize if they are out of context but they fit this topic better than the one they had been in.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I think this recipe looks amazing! But it's too bad he uses gluten, as I can't digest it properly. If anyone has any suggestions in place of gluten, that would be fab.

Like I said earlier, I am not a true vegetarian, as I will eat chicken, eggs and fish from time-to-time, but I do really feel great when I eat more fibre or water based foods. We can quote all the scriptures about allowing meat and how much better it is for you, but don't forget about the results of the 3 Hebrews in Babylon. 😉 Please do not start a debate or pyscho-analyze my comments. "Let man no man judge you as to what you should eat or drink", as I do not my dear vegetarian and non-vegetarian friends. (tu)

Edited by Lieblingskind

- Read the Bible daily 

The chariot is moving ❤️‍🔥

Actually I wonder why there is such a strong opinion, almost aggression against those who choose this lifestyle? For ex. reducing eating meat has shown to improve and lower cholesterol levels from some who were previously sick and medicated. Not talking about healthy individuals, but for some people, going vegetarian has helped them wean them off of meds and being pre-diabetic. If it works for them, why not? 

- Read the Bible daily 

29 minutes ago, Naturale said:

So now this topics off topic :D

Sorry, I think the title and the original post confused me...🤣

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I am soooo gonna try this with tomorrow with wild red currants from our garden. I have dairy intolerance. A can of coconut milk is already in the fridge. 🤩

8 minutes ago, Naturale said:

Xanthan gum should be ok

Of course! Thanks!

- Read the Bible daily 

I am still aghast at how shamefully expensive lactose-free yogurts are in Canada. Such cheaper vegan alternative recipes on youtube. For this reason, I am happy it's affordable to eat dairy-free here.

- Read the Bible daily 

I am sorry for even bringing it up in the other thread, and that stuff getting sent over here. I made a lazy, stupid, stereotypical generalization to point out that some people wouldn't like the video. I know some people who try to rescue flies and ants and spiders from their house. Normally when I say vegan, I am using the definition of ones who believe that humans shouldn't use animals or what they produce in any form, or believe that animals should have the same rights and protections as humans, without trying to imply anything regarding a plant based diet. I do have very strong opinions about biology and diet due to living with chronic illness and bowel disorders, but I know now that this is not the topic for that...

Edited by Myew

12 hours ago, Naturale said:

Some people (including myself) have studied food and nutrition and so are very successful in maintaining a healthy diet.

"Not surprisingly, vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular. “Data are strong that vegetarians are at lesser risk for obesity, . . . constipation, lung cancer, and alcoholism,” says dietitian Johanna Dwyer in FDA Consumer. And, contrary to what some may believe, with careful, proper planning, even meatless diets “can meet Recommended Dietary Allowances for nutrients,” according to the 1995 dietary guidelines.

When I went vegetarian I lost 20 lbs and even more when I went plant based. I went to a vegan fair last year in Dallas and there were several thousand people there and I didn’t see a single overweight person. That’s saying a lot because where I live, the Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington Texas area is the 28th for having the most overweight persons in the United States and Arlington, my home town used to be #1. But let me just say before anyone jumps on me that that does not mean everyone eating a plant based diet is guaranteed to be at a healthy weight but it helps a ton. That also doesn’t mean everyone eating meat will be overweight either.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

10 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

Actually I wonder why there is such a strong opinion, almost aggression against those who choose this lifestyle? For ex. reducing eating meat has shown to improve and lower cholesterol levels from some who were previously sick and medicated. Not talking about healthy individuals, but for some people, going vegetarian has helped them wean them off of meds and being pre-diabetic. If it works for them, why not? 

You’re so right. Sadly, many people don’t engage with vegans about their diet unless they feel they can pick an argument with them. This has been the case for me. For this reason I hardly mention to people that I’m plant based because so many make a big deal about my diet and try to pick an argument with me about it. 

Cutting out meat and dairy has helped me a ton. Before I was pre diabetic, had high blood pressure, elevated cholesterol and was overweight. That has all changed 🙂

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

7 minutes ago, Brother Jack said:

For this reason I hardly mention to people that I’m plant based because so many make a big deal about my diet and try to pick an argument with me about it. 

Sorry to hear that. I don't argue with anyone about the dietary choices they make.

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

When I went vegetarian I lost 20 lbs and even more when I went plant based. I went to a vegan fair last year in Dallas and there were several thousand people there and I didn’t see a single overweight person. That’s saying a lot because where I live, the Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington Texas area is the 28th for having the most overweight persons in the United States and Arlington, my home town used to be #1. But let me just say before anyone jumps on me that that does not mean everyone eating a plant based diet is guaranteed to be at a healthy weight but it helps a ton. That also doesn’t mean everyone eating meat will be overweight either.

That's fantastic! Well done.

Yes, before anyone goes vegetarian, they really have to educate themselves first. Because too much calorie consumption of any foods can lead to weight gain. Also a person has to understand supplementation, and which vegetarian foods support a well-balanced diet. In general, eating a mostly plant-based diet has been shown to heal all sorts of health problems, ranging from heart disease to physical pain, anxiety and depression.

Edited by Lieblingskind

- Read the Bible daily 

1 hour ago, Brother Jack said:

Sadly, many people don’t engage with vegans about their diet unless they feel they can pick an argument with them. This has been the case for me. For this reason I hardly mention to people that I’m plant based because so many make a big deal about my diet and try to pick an argument with me about it. 

I'm guessing here but I think there must be some form of envy or simply a lack of understanding. Coupled with vegans on the internet have come across as being very anti-meat, pro animal life, so I get it. Personally I like the fact that vegans have ingeniously come up with recipes that taste similar to meat, and made some foods that might at first seem bland, taste great because of having to be creative. I much rather drink and consume a plant-based milk, then knowing I am consuming something that could possibly have hormone injections. Sorry but that's the truth. Also I have cured my cystic acne because of going dairy-free. See, and this is what some don't understand...often there can be other reasons other than cruelty to animals. There is no typical vegan or vegetarian of enviro-loving, cruelty-free to animals, highly sensitive individual. It simply may be a matter of health.

Edited by Lieblingskind

- Read the Bible daily 

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

hat also doesn’t mean everyone eating meat will be overweight either.

Yes, actually you can starve to death with a full belly of  meat . Wild game in particular. In the wild you cannot live by hunting and fishing alone. ( with rare exception) you must forage . 

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

That’s awesome!  I’ve gone plant based for the last month.  Went for lunch yesterday and was able to order a lovely spaghetti squash dish. I asked them to not include the Parmesan but of course there was oil. Thankfully very little in the sauce from what I could tell. Don’t consider myself vegan either because I don’t have an issue with honey or the use of leather etc. 

Still awaiting some some results on my end. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

14 minutes ago, BLEmom said:

Still awaiting some some results on my end. 

My 'end' complains when I change my diet so I hope you get better results from your 'end'...😁

1 hour ago, BenJepthah said:

In the wild you cannot live by hunting and fishing alone. ( with rare exception) you must forage . 

Without drinking water all that protein would definitely not be good, either.

- Read the Bible daily 

1 hour ago, BLEmom said:

Went for lunch yesterday and was able to order a lovely spaghetti squash dish. I asked them to not include the Parmesan but of course there was oil.

I would have joined you!

(But with zucchini pasta instead)😋

- Read the Bible daily 

23 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

That's fantastic! Well done.

Yes, before anyone goes vegetarian, they really have to educate themselves first. Because too much calorie consumption of any foods can lead to weight gain. Also a person has to understand supplementation, and which vegetarian foods support a well-balanced diet. In general, eating a mostly plant-based diet has been shown to heal all sorts of health problems, ranging from heart disease to physical pain, anxiety and depression.

My mom was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and had to be on medication. I always remember her being depressed as a kid. She went plant based because the meds made her gain weight and had crazy side affects. That was back in 2008 and she told me she’s only had 1 day where she felt depressed since then.

23 hours ago, Lieblingskind said:

I'm guessing here but I think there must be some form of envy or simply a lack of understanding. Coupled with vegans on the internet have come across as being very anti-meat, pro animal life, so I get it. Personally I like the fact that vegans have ingeniously come up with recipes that taste similar to meat, and made some foods that might at first seem bland, taste great because of having to be creative. I much rather drink and consume a plant-based milk, then knowing I am consuming something that could possibly have hormone injections. Sorry but that's the truth. Also I have cured my cystic acne because of going dairy-free. See, and this is what some don't understand...often there can be other reasons other than cruelty to animals. There is no typical vegan or vegetarian of enviro-loving, cruelty-free to animals, highly sensitive individual. It simply may be a matter of health.

I went plant based for my health too. I still had high blood pressure when I cut out meat and was vegetarian. It was only when I cut out dairy that my blood pressure went back to normal.