JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Vegan and vegetarian brothers and sisters

Thanks Brother Græme for that lovely recipe.

https://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-tomato-passata-and-how-156321

Passata is an uncooked tomato purée that has been strained of seeds and skins. It originated in Italy but is used throughout Europe.  

You would not want to substitute either product if passata is called for in your recipe. If you cannot find it in your store, the best substitution is tomato purée or take plain canned tomatoes and run them through a sieve or a food mill.*

*not necessary for the recipe above.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:23 PM, M'Awan said:

Nettle - Urtica dioica  Nettle : Many benefits  

I love nettle soup in Spring :)  I read that nettle tops should only be cut in Spring before flowers have started to form..  At the first sign of flowers you must stop picking as the plant starts to produce substances that interfere with kidney function.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, Græme said:

Moroccan Lentils

Soak lentils 12-48hrs  (change the water in-between) 

Cook Lentils for 1.30hrs ...add Carrots and Potatoes if preferred but add Fresh Coriander too 

Fry Onion, Garlic, (Chilli Optional) in Olive Oil... 10mins stirring occasionally 

...then add Tomato Passata... or just blend 4 Tomato’s - as a substitute

Add [tea spoon of...]

Tumric

Paprika 

Salt

Cumin

Garam masala

[Simmer 20-25 mins ...stir occasionally - adding water as needed] Finally add lentils.

Enjoy! 

This sounds delicious :)  The only thing I will change is to fry in coconut oil or butter as other oils including olive oil become toxic when heated.

• 2 weeks later...

this vegan shrimp po boy and fries

Does your sister use an air fryer? I think deep fried stuff are tastier. What kind of dip is it? Looks creamy.

Edited by Mclove

Forgot the dressing

8 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

My sister makes vegan food as a side hustle and she made me this vegan shrimp po boy and fries :eat:

A6D3D6A9-9208-4019-B9FC-29663C4DED46.jpeg

What is the “shrimp”?  Tofu?

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

In this recipe, I was surprised by the ingredients.

VEGAN SHRIMP:

1 cup gluten flour                                 1 teaspoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon paprika                              1/2 cup sweet potato puree 

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

BROTH:

8 cups water                                           Salt to taste

2 tablespoons dulse seaweed/nori

7 hours ago, BLEmom said:

Not sure but I’m pretty sure it’s not tofu. I’ll have to ask her.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:32 AM, Mclove said:

Does your sister use an air fryer? I think deep fried stuff are tastier. What kind of dip is it? Looks creamy.

I’m sorry I’m just now seeing this. I told my sister what you asked and she said she uses a deep fryer and the sauce is the vegan version of the sauce at raising cane’s.

The Hebrew word cushi or kushi is an affectionate term generally used in the Bible to refer to a dark-skinned person of African descent.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:59 AM, BLEmom said:

My sister said she made them from Konjac root.

9 hours ago, Brother Jack said:

My sister said she made them from Konjac root.

Woah that’s a new one!  Maybe she needs a food truck! 😀

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

On 5/31/2020 at 1:31 PM, Naturale said:

This sounds delicious :)  The only thing I will change is to fry in coconut oil or butter as other oils including olive oil become toxic when heated.

Have you tried it yet? if so what do you think 

I discovered that if you add chopped cooked carrots and an onion, 1/2 tin of tomatoes, plus parsley or oregano, pinch of cayenne and worcester sauce if you like,  to a tin of refried beans and put in a dish then cover with mash potatoes and cheese on top and bake of 25 minutes it can pass as a cottage pie :)  (put cheese on top 10 minutes before end)

Edited by Naturale

This sounds delish’ actually the base ingredient is similar to the recipe I use when making black bean burgers ...I‘ll try this though! 😊

Are you vegan? I am, and a good vegan substitute cheese is hard to find! 

1 hour ago, Græme said:

This sounds delish’ actually the base ingredient is similar to the recipe I use when making black bean burgers ...I‘ll try this though! 😊

Yum black bean burgers sound nice too.  Actually the "cottage pie" is nice with some butter beans in it as well. (or other beans)

No I'm not vegan.  I love cheese. The vegan cheeses aren't that nice, they just taste really salty.

18 hours ago, Græme said:

I’m not vegan, but unfortunately very allergic to milk proteins. I would love a good vegan cheese and I tried a lot of those ‘cheeses’. Most of them are disappointing, though. They taste like a ‘salty coconut oil chewing gum’ or something like that 😂. Some soy based ‘cream cheeses’ are quite reasonable (especially ‘Creamy’ from the brand Violife.)

Did you already tried nutritional yeast? That’s worth a try, in my opinion. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nutritional-yeast

...seems interesting with the Pimento ...but it’s made with coconut as most synthetic cheeses’ are, which tastes a bit sickly in vegan cheese in my opinion, as long as I can’t taste the coconut I may try this 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:29 AM, ijsvogel said:

I’m not vegan, but unfortunately very allergic to milk proteins. I would love a good vegan cheese and I tried a lot of those ‘cheeses’. Most of them are disappointing, though. They taste like a ‘salty coconut oil chewing gum’ or something like that 😂. Some soy based ‘cream cheeses’ are quite reasonable (especially ‘Creamy’ from the brand Violife.)

Did you already tried nutritional yeast? That’s worth a try, in my opinion. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nutritional-yeast

Yes, the coconut flavour in Vegan cheese is really unpleasant ...but I’ll try nutritional yeast, and if I can find the brand Violife in the UK would love to try too. Thanks 

On 6/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, Naturale said:

Yum black bean burgers sound nice too.  Actually the "cottage pie" is nice with some butter beans in it as well. (or other beans)

No I'm not vegan.  I love cheese. The vegan cheeses aren't that nice, they just taste really salty.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/best-black-bean-burgers/

...this is a good black bean burger recipe for you since you like them ☺️