JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Keto, IF and OMAD...

MG_9413-copy-578x842.jpg

Essentially very similar to each other, the main difference between mayonnaise and aioli is that aioli is made with olive oil and has garlic added. Mayonnaise is a bit lighter, made with vegetable or canola oil and has more flavourings. I love both but do find that aioli made from olive oil only is too intense and bitter for me

https://drizzleanddip.com/2012/03/28/how-to-make-aioli-and-ideas-to-flavour-it/

• 1 month later...

Hello, would really appreciate it if any of you interested in IF and Keto would fill out this form so I can gather pain points for a project i am working on.

Looking to find solutions to your IF,Keto,OMAD problems.

Micah 4:5 ......"we, for our part, shall walk in the name of Jehovah our God to time indefinite, even forever."

John 15:13 "No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends."

Weighed myself this morning. Been a while because the scale wasn't moving for weeks and I got a bit depressed, even though  my size has changed. 

So it's been about 4 or 5 week and I'm down 11 pounds! I bought 2 pair of dress pants from Costco 2 weeks ago and they were fine but snug. Put one pair on today and they're so baggy...all the way to the ankle! Looks like clown pants, yup returning those babies.

I think it just might be possible to meet my goal by April. 

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 5 weeks later...

Made a Blue Cheese dressing today, been experimenting  because I'm burnt out on the lemon caper aioli. 

This dressing/dip is the best recipe I've ever made. 

If anyone has a dressing  or dip recipe  I'd be interested.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 1 month later...

Have always resisted no-carb bread....resist no more! Oh my goodness, I love this. I just had for dinner a triple decker clubhouse with egg sandwich at only 7 carbs! And yes I had 2 thin slices of tomato, my allergy food, and I feel fine. 

How satisfying,  I haven't had such a great "cheat" meal in soooooo long, and I didn't even cheat! 

My total carbs for the day is 16 and my calories are 1,300. Not bad.

Got another compliment from one of my  business associates today too, how nice.

• 3 months later...

I was in the hospital for ten days a while back, low vitamins, anemia, h nd H 4 or something. Hosp said I would not survive with out blood, but of course, I did. Since I failed to absorb vitamins orally, my docs ordered me delivered meals. They are definitely high vitamin, and I haven't had to go back for iron infusions. The food was also high in carbs and calories and i gained about 25 to 3o lbs and went from size 9 to 12. Insurance changed food delivery to one lower in cal and carbs. (it's 9 - 10 meals a week, the rest is my own prepared food.Not exactly complete keto, but controlled carb. )  I have lost about 5 lbs and waist down half inch. Tried on my "way old" inspiration jeans earlier this week and today. Got them on today using the 1970s Jordache method. Lie down in bed to get zipper and button done. Glad my weight is headed in the right direction.  Will use suggestions on this page.

I'm on a stall again. I'm still doing tmad with occasionally a bit of turkey or string cheese once. I don't feel well at all doing 'regular' eating. I really feel the difference. I sometimes get a hankering for one of those Burger King burgers but clearly recall the gut ache I get, helps me keep faithful. Even if I don't necessarily lose any more I'm ok with that, I'm back in my shorts I wore 15 years ago, they even fit better than I remember them fitting before. But I inherited, my mom's side, the gut. I can get it to go flat but drink too much water and poof out it pooches again!😄 

On 1/1/2020 at 9:19 PM, bagwell1987 said:

Weighed myself this morning. Been a while because the scale wasn't moving for weeks and I got a bit depressed, even though  my size has changed. 

So it's been about 4 or 5 week and I'm down 11 pounds! I bought 2 pair of dress pants from Costco 2 weeks ago and they were fine but snug. Put one pair on today and they're so baggy...all the way to the ankle! Looks like clown pants, yup returning those babies.

I think it just might be possible to meet my goal by April. 

If your clothes are fitting better but the numbers on the scale don't change much, it could be that some of your weight has turned to muscle, which will not show a loss on the scale. I've read that we shouldn't watch the scale so much as the tape measure..it's a better indicator of weight loss..and how your clothes fit too..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

• 3 months later...

I'm on Keto now.
I was a bit against it in the past, because I didn't realize that it's meant to be a temporary diet.
I decided to follow the Atkin's plan, and phase back into carbs when I reach my weight goal, but still keep my starch levels low, and my sugar levels almost non-existent.

It depends a lot on what you're needing to be in ketosis for. 'Keto' is less of a diet and more of a macronutrient (carbs, proteins and fat) ratio that can be applied to any diet (the foods that you eat), which affects how your body processes and uses what you're taking in. As a 'diet', as in weight loss, it's almost always temporary. Combined with fasting to reset your metabolism, it can even reverse diabetes. That's key, because 'Keto' as a diet alone won't prevent you from regaining weight quickly if you cheat or flip flop all the time. That will ruin your blood sugar and hormones. It can be life or death when it comes to treating conditions like epilepsy, and very beneficial to other brain developmental disorders such as autism or traumatic brain injury, or for killing cancerous tumors, or if you are sedentary. Provided you eat a really good nutrition profile, it can be maintained long term. There are traditional cultures that are carnivores, almost always in some moderate level of ketosis, and don't suffer from many common 'western' diseases. However, there can be genetic or epigenetic factors involved, and not everyone can necessarily work well with it long term, moreso if you have disorders affecting fat digestion. Some supplements can help there. I do think cyclical is best. My lucidity is best when I maintain strict ketosis, but physically I do seem to start dragging eventually. I can have a few more bowel issues on strict keto due to overeating fat or too much protein that gets converted into glucose regardless of carbs. Fat is generally better for slow burning, long term endurance style activity like running or cycling, where carbohydrates tend to be better in burst activity, refueling glycogen stores and pumping up insulin hormone to build muscle. Just some general overview stuff I've picked up over the years, lots of information here in older posts.

On 10/23/2020 at 10:43 PM, Myew said:

It depends a lot on what you're needing to be in ketosis for. 'Keto' is less of a diet and more of a macronutrient (carbs, proteins and fat) ratio that can be applied to any diet (the foods that you eat), which affects how your body processes and uses what you're taking in. As a 'diet', as in weight loss, it's almost always temporary. Combined with fasting to reset your metabolism, it can even reverse diabetes. That's key, because 'Keto' as a diet alone won't prevent you from regaining weight quickly if you cheat or flip flop all the time. That will ruin your blood sugar and hormones. It can be life or death when it comes to treating conditions like epilepsy, and very beneficial to other brain developmental disorders such as autism or traumatic brain injury, or for killing cancerous tumors, or if you are sedentary. Provided you eat a really good nutrition profile, it can be maintained long term. There are traditional cultures that are carnivores, almost always in some moderate level of ketosis, and don't suffer from many common 'western' diseases. However, there can be genetic or epigenetic factors involved, and not everyone can necessarily work well with it long term, moreso if you have disorders affecting fat digestion. Some supplements can help there. I do think cyclical is best. My lucidity is best when I maintain strict ketosis, but physically I do seem to start dragging eventually. I can have a few more bowel issues on strict keto due to overeating fat or too much protein that gets converted into glucose regardless of carbs. Fat is generally better for slow burning, long term endurance style activity like running or cycling, where carbohydrates tend to be better in burst activity, refueling glycogen stores and pumping up insulin hormone to build muscle. Just some general overview stuff I've picked up over the years, lots of information here in older posts.

This makes a lot of sense.
I find keto has actually forced me to eat much healthier, because it's not a cheap diet, meaning I basically have to buy the ingredients to make things, close to their natural form, and I eat so little processed food now, and eat more vegetables, now that I have to rely on them for carbs/fiber.

Yeah, nutritious food doesn't come from cheap manufacturing byproducts. But you are what you eat, and I think that you'll find in time if you are able to give up processed foods and things like restaurants or prepared meals, you will not only save money on that and healthcare, but save time wasted on feeling sick.

Congrats on getting over 1000 posts, I'm still working on that. ^^ You can give yourself a title now.

I've not been cooking much for the last few weeks so I resorted to eating things I shouldn't,  ie. cheese and wheat crackers,  hashbrowns. So yesterday I cooked just after meeting at noon until 5:30. Now I have good food right at my fingertips. 

Mongolian beef

https://pin.it/3WpqGVc

Broccoli cheese soup

https://pin.it/rL4IWaT

This was made keto by substituting no sugar brown sugar, a stevia base 

https://pin.it/65AssXg

I cooked the wings in the crockpot for 4 hours on high, salvaged the broth. Put in the Mongolian sauce for a bit and it was still pasty looking so I put them into a fry pan and put a crust on them and separately thickened the sauce with xanthan gum. Will add it when I warm up a serving.

Then I had chicken breasts, cut the thick ones in half, browned them up with S&P, did the same with 2 pork tenderloin medallions. 

So, my food for the week is cooked and ready to go. No eating bad again, for a long while I hope.

Just came across this chocolate cake with frosting keto cake. I'm not a sweets eater, sugar makes my ears ring and I don't feel well when I eat it, but this is no sugar!! I love Lilly's chocolate chips for the frosting.  I have only 2 things to buy, coconut cream and coconut flour, and I can make this by this weekend.

https://pin.it/1WMxLLr

On 10/26/2020 at 1:46 PM, bagwell1987 said:

I've not been cooking much for the last few weeks so I resorted to eating things I shouldn't,  ie. cheese and wheat crackers,  hashbrowns. So yesterday I cooked just after meeting at noon until 5:30. Now I have good food right at my fingertips. 

Mongolian beef

https://pin.it/3WpqGVc

Broccoli cheese soup

https://pin.it/rL4IWaT

This was made keto by substituting no sugar brown sugar, a stevia base 

https://pin.it/65AssXg

I cooked the wings in the crockpot for 4 hours on high, salvaged the broth. Put in the Mongolian sauce for a bit and it was still pasty looking so I put them into a fry pan and put a crust on them and separately thickened the sauce with xanthan gum. Will add it when I warm up a serving.

Then I had chicken breasts, cut the thick ones in half, browned them up with S&P, did the same with 2 pork tenderloin medallions. 

So, my food for the week is cooked and ready to go. No eating bad again, for a long while I hope.

This means I have to try and remember my pinterest account info.     :)

A sister made a pork roast recently and she was describing how good it was. Well, I haven't had one in a long time so I thawed one and chose a Pinterest recipe. Put unbrowned roast in slow cooker, add 1 cup water, 1/2 chop onion, 1 stick butter cubed, packet of ranch dressing and 1 package of brown gravy. I make ranch by scratch so I didn't have that so I sprinkled Montreal Steak seasoning on it instead. On high for 3 hours, turned to low for last 3 hours and added carrots.

I made a keto cheese sauce to go on top. OH 😳😳😳😳, IT WAS DELISH! It fed 3 dinners and 2 lunches. 

Made gravy from the drippings for Lew and saved the remaining drippings to make gravey for poutine for him tonight.

Edited by bagwell1987

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 12:52 PM, bagwell1987 said:

A sister made a pork roast recently and she was describing how good it was. Well, I haven't had one in a long time so I thawed one and chose a Pinterest recipe. Put unbrowned roast in slow cooker, add 1 cup water, 1/2 chop onion, 1 stick butter cubed, packet of ranch dressing and 1 package of brown gravy. I make ranch by scratch so I didn't have that so I sprinkled Montreal Steak seasoning on it instead. On high for 3 hours, turned to low for last 3 hours and added carrots.

I made a keto cheese sauce to go on top. OH 😳😳😳😳, IT WAS DELISH! It fed 3 dinners and 2 lunches. 

Made gravy from the drippings for Lew and saved the remaining drippings to make gravey for poutine for him tonight.

Cheryl,Face Savoring Food on Samsung One UI 2.5

That truly sound's so dog-gone-good ..... and it's Keto too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 12:53 AM, Myew said:

Dr Jason Fung has started posting some on Youtube again, his books/talks are well worth it regarding fasting/keto for metabolism and reversing obesity.

I’ve just got his book ‘The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss’ as it was recommended to me. It’s been really interesting so far. Has anyone read it? 

I was just looking at keto sauces when you posted that,  I'm making fried tuna and need tarter. Then I have chicken breast, which is not my favorite, so I'm making keto BBQ sauce, yummm

@Luisabola I have read "The Obesity Code" - also "The Diabetes Code" and will likely purchase "The Cancer Code" sometime soon. I also have "The Complete Guide to Fasting" that he co-wrote. I forget with whom, but can check if you need to know. :)

The Obesity Code & Diabetes Code are similar in many ways - but I find the experiences in both helpful and I love learning the science behind it all. In general both books lean toward the same eating/fasting plan(s) & finding what works for you. The "Guide" however, really gets more into the step by step process of determining which method of fasting will work best for you and when to know how & when to change it.

My favorite part of all these books is that Dr Fung is simply providing very inexpensive blueprints for improving your health - and he has done all the work to show & prove how the science behind it all really works.

No fads. No gimmicks. No special foods to buy (unless your personal eating plan already dictates such special foods). No added gadgets, kitchen tools, and so forth.

Just plain & simple and essentially free! 

Plus with fasting, you may eat less overall so that saves you money with a lower food bill. :) 

And he really gets into listening to your body & what's it telling you about the stuff you are putting into it. :)