JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

6 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

But your parents are vaccinated yes? So they are protected. 

😐  We all know that vaccinated is not 100% protected.  And someone unvaccinated is far more likely to catch/ carry/ pass on the virus.

Just because someone is vaccinated does not excuse all the non-vaxxed of their responsibility to stay masked up and hopefully more than six feet away from them. Especially away from my parents. 😠

20 minutes ago, Hope said:

😐  We all know that vaccinated is not 100% protected.  And someone unvaccinated is far more likely to catch/ carry/ pass on the virus.

Just because someone is vaccinated does not excuse all the non-vaxxed of their responsibility to stay masked up and hopefully more than six feet away from them. Especially away from my parents. 😠

But the only risk is to your brother as he is the unvaccinated one. Since your parents are already protected then they have nothing to worry about about. 

7 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

But the only risk is to your brother as he is the unvaccinated one. Since your parents are already protected then they have nothing to worry about about. 

That's not exactly accurate.  Vaccination is not bulletproof.  It's greater protection, but this doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, especially in the case of the elderly or immunocompromised. 

Just because someone wears a seat belt doesn't mean they will be 100% safe in an auto accident.  Just because a person wears a bullet proof vest doesn't mean they should step in front of a bullet. 

Edited by Shawnster

15 minutes ago, Shawnster said:

That's not exactly accurate.  Vaccination is bulletproof.  It's greater protection, but this doesn't mean throw caution to the wind, especially in the case of the elderly or immunocompromised. 

Just because someone wears a seat belt doesn't mean they will be 100% safe in an auto accident.  Just because a person wears a bullet proof vest doesn't mean they should step in front of a bullet. 

That’s right. The seat belt helps the seatbelt wearer. 
You don’t expect someone else’s seatbelt to help You.

3 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

No, it's not. He could be asymptomatic but pass the virus to others. Vaccines are not 100%. My parents are elderly with other comorbidities. He is around them regularly after contact with all sorts of people.

Love of neighbor and respect for life would move him to take more reasonable precautions against infection than "trusting his immune system". But he doesn't have those qualities- he's only concerned about himself.

I’m Vaccinated I have to be cause I’m a Nurse.

However, just because your vaccinated does not mean to can’t get Covid. Vaccinated or not you can still get Covid-19. 

I see people walking around with no masks because they are vaccinated… like hello people put your mask on . You can still get Covid…🙄

I posted the Brian May interview precisely because it answered your question @Honeybarrel . His experience is an example of how his immune system , at 74 years of age(he swims 100 laps a day too so he’s healthy) plus being triple jabbed gave him the chance to fight covid. 

He said his close friend last year with no vaccination died in 6 days. 

I think it was snarky of you to post that about Hope’s concern for her parents. She wasn’t making a comment on vaccination but rather her brother not being careful and caring around them. Your comment was disingenuous and not loving as you seem to be intent on making this about vaccinations failing us. As has been noted, it provides some protection and works with our immune systems. 

@Hopetry not to worry hon ❤️

53 minutes ago, Hope said:

No, it's not. He could be asymptomatic but pass the virus to others. Vaccines are not 100%. My parents are elderly with other comorbidities. He is around them regularly after contact with all sorts of people.

Love of neighbor and respect for life would move him to take more reasonable precautions against infection than "trusting his immune system". But he doesn't have those qualities- he's only concerned about himself.

a big hug and prayers for you and your family, I love you very much ❤️❤️ 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

I thought both vaxx and unvaxx can be asymptomatic....  ???

The experts are saying now vxx only suppose to give you the floating protiens to prevent a covid 19   complication from having a corona virus?

Theres no real difference whether your vaccinated or not.

So i wouldn.t single out unvaxx as thats probly discrimination.  Also if you want to ptotect your parents then vaccinated should have the same conscern.

No?

3 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

That’s right. The seat belt helps the seatbelt wearer. 
You don’t expect someone else’s seatbelt to help You.

No, but you don't expect someone else to crash into your car, either. 

Seatbelt = vaccine 

Crash into your car = covid positive person coming into contact with you.  

So, even though someone like Hope's parents are fully vaccinated and boosted, it's not good for them to come into contact with someone carrying this virus. It is therefore incorrect to state that the only risk is to Hope's unvaccinated brother. 

The vaccine is great. Vaccination fights the disease.  That's no reason to let one's guard down and feel there is no risk to exposure. 

1 hour ago, vern said:

I thought both vaxx and unvaxx can be asymptomatic....  ???

The experts are saying now vxx only suppose to give you the floating protiens to prevent a covid 19   complication from having a corona virus?

Theres no real difference whether your vaccinated or not.

So i wouldn.t single out unvaxx as thats probly discrimination.  Also if you want to ptotect your parents then vaccinated should have the same conscern.

No?

I will, indeed, single out unvaxxed people being around my parents regularly- especially if they are not taking proper precautions of masking and distance. I shall discriminate against that sort of lack of concern all day, every day.  😐

My sister is a former nurse. She is vaxxed and boosted, mask wearing (most of the time), hand sanitizing and Clorox bleach wiping regularly. She tested positive for C-19 yesterday, despite three earlier negative tests this week. She was coughing mom's house on Tuesday and she is terrified she could've infected her or my father (at his show on Friday). Obviously, she's a victim of a breakthrough case... which I believe are less likely to occur if everyone one might run into is also vaccinated.

My sister is conscientious and meticulous- and still was infected. My brother is not nearly as diligent, hangs around all sorts of people and lives in an RV - not the healthiest environment. I am shocked, dismayed and burnt crispy that he hasn't taken the best precautions available to resist infection.

There *is* a "real difference" between the health prospects of vaxxed or non-vaxxed where Covid is concerned. We've seen the hospitalization reports. We hear from the Governing Body. Please let's stop saying that nonsense. It is absolutely not cool.

@Hope, let me say that I do pray that your elderly parents don't contract the virus. It's very sad that we all know individuals who are totally selfish and careless. I too have family members who are too stupid to take the vaccine, continue to present themselves as some sort of vaccine and virus expert, and at the same time throw all caution to the wind and are completely devoid of any love of neighbor or fellow feeling for anyone.

8 hours ago, Nancy M said:

Vaccinated AND boosted, so they will be fine.

7 hours ago, Honeybarrel said:

While these vaccines are amazingly successful in doing what they are designed to do, keep people out of the hospital and out of a sheol, they are not a 100% guarantee. The vaccine has to trigger an immune response. If a person is immunocompromised, that immune response may be inadequate. Elderly people are more likely to be immunocompromised.

An unvaccinated person still has the moral responsibility to maintain some social distance or wear a mask if he cannot. Hope made it clear that the brother is irresponsible on every front.

47 minutes ago, vern said:

You proved the point though....  Vaccination doesn.t prevent spread....

Which literally everybody knows and they have been saying all along. Social distancing and masks will help prevent spread. Vaccines will help keep your cough from landing you in the ICU.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

I've shared this elsewhere but would like to back up Jerry's  thoughts.

One of the officers in an office where I work was in Academy when the virus was identified. They were required to mask, distance and wash. He said the Academy was  Notorious for the participants to go home sick, but not this time. He said even though a mask might feel like a silly thing it was successful. Not one person went home sick afterward. He said he is a firm believer in the protocols set out for the safety of everyone. 

Our GB is directed by Jehovah, why would we question their reccomendations.

Be safe.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

1 minute ago, bagwell1987 said:

He said even though a mask might feel like a silly thing it was successful. Not one person went home sick afterward. He said he is a firm believer in the protocols set out for the safety of everyone. 

My daughter had it in November. For 2 evenings when she thought she had a "cold" we watched movies in the same room, she on the couch and me on my recliner. It's a 12' wide room so we were probably around 8' apart. I never caught it. After she got a phone call from a friend that he had it she tested positive and spent the next 5 days in her room. My biggest take away from this is stay away from people. Keeping your distance and avoiding crowds is key. If you can't be distant then mask up as it offers a measure of protection.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

44 minutes ago, Dismal_Bliss said:

family members who are too stupid to take the vaccine

Really brother? Is that showing neutrality? Can you imagine someone saying the opposite on this forum, they would be given a warning. We have been told over and over again the vaccine is a personal choice and no one is “stupid” because of what choice they have made. Each of us should not care what choice another makes, because that choice was made due to research, hopefully. I personally don’t care what anyone has chosen to do as far as the Covid shot and would never treat anyone differently for their choice, and would certainly never call anyone stupid because they made a different medical choice then I did. 

22 minutes ago, Nancy M said:

Really brother?

You misquoted me, leaving out the full description of who I was referring to. My entire sentence was...

"I too have family members who are too stupid to take the vaccine, continue to present themselves as some sort of vaccine and virus expert, and at the same time throw all caution to the wind and are completely devoid of any love of neighbor or fellow feeling for anyone."

It's the combination of these traits that make my family members stupid. They burp anti-vaxx propaganda that they've gleaned from misinformed internet sources and right-wing propaganda podcasters and talking heads. You know, outright lies such as "masks don't work", "vaccines don't work", "it's all about fear and government control", etc, blah-cetera. It is the insistently vocal anti-vaxxer who is not neutral.

22 minutes ago, Nancy M said:

Can you imagine someone saying the opposite on this forum, they would be given a warning.

Since such a statement would be in direct opposition to the last several Governing Body Updates and letters to elders, yes, they would be deserving of points.

The vaccinated are on higher moral ground.....  Yes sarcasm...  Sorry. Had to do it...

I.m required at work to mask.. I wear one around my neck and use it around everyone. But you bet i breath freely and take it down when im away from poeple...

I had a cold and lost 2000 dollars in wages keeping away from work...  So don.t intimate i.m not doing the rules.   If that was implied.

2 minutes ago, vern said:

So don.t intimate i.m not doing the rules.   If that was implied

It wasn't. I was just repeating sound health advice.

4 minutes ago, vern said:

The vaccinated are on higher moral ground.....  Yes sarcasm...  Sorry. Had to do it...

I.m required at work to mask.. I wear one around my neck and use it around everyone. But you bet i breath freely and take it down when im away from poeple...

I had a cold and lost 2000 dollars in wages keeping away from work...  So don.t intimate i.m not doing the rules.   If that was implied.

Each one carries his own load, right? We must each do our best not to offload it onto others... 🤨

Edited by Hope

1 hour ago, Nancy M said:

Really brother? Is that showing neutrality? Can you imagine someone saying the opposite on this forum, they would be given a warning. We have been told over and over again the vaccine is a personal choice and no one is “stupid” because of what choice they have made. Each of us should not care what choice another makes, because that choice was made due to research, hopefully. I personally don’t care what anyone has chosen to do as far as the Covid shot and would never treat anyone differently for their choice, and would certainly never call anyone stupid because they made a different medical choice then I did. 

If I know someone is not vaccinated, I will treat them differently. They can't come to my house and I won't socialize with them at theirs.. or any other close quarters.

Even if that choice was made because it's unhealthy for them to take the jab- I understand that and want to protect them from myself, who could possibly spread asymptomatically and land them in hospital. 

I'm not aware of any legitimate research one can "do" that recommends not vaccinating against this plague.  Evidently, the Governing Body isn't, either. So, I shall follow the example they are clearly recommending.

For some strange reason, some seem to think that either choice is equally sound and valuable.  I don't get it... it's not like choosing to see certain entertainment or not. It's not a conscience matter. But, okay. Those who choose not to have made their choice. 🤷🏽‍♀️ And I've made mine.

Edited by Hope