JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

2 hours ago, AH173 said:

Thanks for your expertise. I mention that because of all the deep coughing that she had and still has a little bit of it still.

I'm glad that whatever it was passed and we are doing well.

BA.5 does quite a lot of damage in our bodies…

I lost half my white blood cells.

I have massive cell destruction in other parts of body.

this variant has a tremendous hability to replicate at a very high rate.

a true beast.

but Jehovah has given us a such well built body with a great healing hability.

weeks later most if us recover from that loss without major sequels.

the ones with severe co-morbidities suffer more. Herpes Epstein Barr virus diabetes hypertension cancer auto immune disease among others.

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

1 hour ago, Daphne said:

What are the main symptoms? Does a Covid test show Omincron BA 5?

Is there a recommended treatment for BA 5?

Same as all omicron 

but this variant lives more on throat and salivary glands. The previous variants lived in nose too.

this one not so much.

i advise to swab your tongue back on the throat from each side rather than nose for the lateral flow tests

even My urine tested positive for coronavirus. It has invaded my kidneys . I’m ok now 

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

New study from Qatar on BA.4/5 reinfection
—Protection of a previous infection against BA.4/BA.5 was lower than that against BA.1/BA.2 (> immune escape)
—Pre-Omicron infections offered little protection, but BA.1/BA.2 infections high, ~80% 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.11.22277448v1

3 hours ago, Sofia said:

New study from Qatar on BA.4/5 reinfection
—Protection of a previous infection against BA.4/BA.5 was lower than that against BA.1/BA.2 (> immune escape)
—Pre-Omicron infections offered little protection, but BA.1/BA.2 infections high, ~80% 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.07.11.22277448v1

Interesting article. It starts with "This study estimates the effectiveness of previous infection with SARSCoV2 in preventing reinfection with Omicron BA.4/BA.5 subvariants". We already know that people can get reinfected. This is old news.

It continues....

"Effectiveness of a previous pre-Omicron... against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection irrespective of symptoms was 28.3%."

"Effectiveness of a previous Omicron... and against any BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was 79.7%."

And thus summarizes....

"Protection of a previous infection against BA.4/BA.5 reinfection was modest when the previous infection involved a preOmicron variant, but strong when the previous infection involved the Omicron BA.1 or BA.2 subvariants"

What this translates to is that if you were previously infected with the previous Wuhan strain or the Delta strain, your odds of getting reinfected with BA.5 are pretty good (I believe the vaccines were specifically designed for the Wuhan strain). If you previously had Omicron, then you stand a better chance at resisting reinfection. 

While that's all fine and dandy, what we know is that reinfection is possible and as immunity wanes, probable. This study doesn't address vaccine effectiveness with regard to severe disease and death, but the overwhelming consensus is that the vaccines (and previous infection) do indeed reduce your risk.

Other coronaviruses have circulated among mankind since time immemorial, and they cause the common cold. We've never been able to "cure" the common cold either.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

8 hours ago, Sofia said:

That omicron vaccine doesnt protect us from BA.5

Its mess this vaccine stuff.... manufacturers are always one step BEHIND the variants :(

A pan-vaccine is required, but still no tech is developed to discover one.

It´s been studyed ever since 1976 - on feline coronavirus, and still no luck.

Fortunatly it seems to protect people against SEVERE disease. That´s good enough. Less deaths less hospitalizations.

What about the Valneva vaccine?

3 hours ago, Dages said:

What about the Valneva vaccine?

COVID-19 Vaccine (inactivated, adjuvanted) Valneva contains inactivated (killed) whole particles of the original strain of SARS-CoV-2 that cannot cause disease.

it can’t prevent you from catching omicron specially BA.5 because it’s so different from Whuan (WA1)
I never had a vaccine

i have caught whuan & BA.1 and now BA.5

look on the pictures how genetically far is BA.5

D1C493C0-FC67-419C-A314-A9297034D901.jpeg

70352167-6654-4E47-87B7-35E65156E6CA.jpeg

Edited by Sofia

Not to be Depressive but am I the only one thinking it looks like we'll have unending waves of Covid and resulting restrictions (no house to house), not just for months but years and years. I didn't use to be this way but it doesn't seem to show signs of stopping. Even the flu has the decency to only be around for a few months of the year. 

1 hour ago, Hugh O'D said:

Not to be Depressive but am I the only one thinking it looks like we'll have unending waves of Covid and resulting restrictions (no house to house), not just for months but years and years. I didn't use to be this way but it doesn't seem to show signs of stopping. Even the flu has the decency to only be around for a few months of the year. 

Well that was a depressing turn. Sorry about that. 

Thing with patterns is that things will rarely go exactly the same. Looking up Wikipedia, theories on the so called Spanish Flu has it starting over a period from late 1916 to mid 1917, not the official 1918. Apply this to Covid-19 starting in 2019 we've probably got this for the rest of '22 and maybe some of' 23 but hopefully not longer. OK, house to house resuming early/mid 2023 at the latest. We've lasted over two years, we can last less than another one.

If I'm wrong, Jehovah will ensure his name is glorified either way. 

13 minutes ago, Hugh O'D said:

There will be a time where we will be able to go back to DTD. When, who knows? But just like the coming of the end of the system of things, we need to keep in expectation

7 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

Well that was a depressing turn. Sorry about that. 

Thing with patterns is that things will rarely go exactly the same. Looking up Wikipedia, theories on the so called Spanish Flu has it starting over a period from late 1916 to mid 1917, not the official 1918. Apply this to Covid-19 starting in 2019 we've probably got this for the rest of '22 and maybe some of' 23 but hopefully not longer. OK, house to house resuming early/mid 2023 at the latest. We've lasted over two years, we can last less than another one.

If I'm wrong, Jehovah will ensure his name is glorified either way. 

The big difference with Spanish flu was international travel or lack of it. After everyone had returned from the war it would have stopped being transported and even domestic travel was not like it is today. So it would have moved around far more slowly. Modern life has speeded up the mutations and variants. I thought the initial wave of Omicron was going to finish it off ... bit I was wrong ... who knows what lies ahead? Only Jehovah. Regional conventions before house to house ... both, or neither ... wait and see ... and be prepared for anything ... or nothing.

8 hours ago, Daphne said:

Which case was worse for you?

Whuan In January 2020

i felt weaker 

I developed long covid for 12 months

38 minutes ago, Sofia said:

Whuan In January 2020

i felt weaker 

I developed long covid for 12 months

Very interesting, it did not give you immunity to the variants. A sister told me she feels she's had it 3 times but she did get the vaccine and boosters.She developed terrible bloods clots in legs and lung in Nov.2021 and she had Covid in one lung and pneumonia in the other.She is 4 years younger than I am.She still can not taste or smell.

There's no rhyme nor reason to how thi Virus behaves.

12 hours ago, Hugh O'D said:

Whereas with the announcement of in person regional conventions in 2023 I feel the exact opposite as you.  I think it looks like, despite the fact covid is never going away completely, the Slave is returning to pre-pandemic activities and I fully expect the door-to-door ministry to resume this coming service year.

Deep down in me I was thinking that the GB would decide no more in-person regional conventions after our experiences during these past 2 years with the virtual RC’s. Think of the $ saved from not having to rent large convention centers or other venues. Transporting of the audio/visual equipment to different cities. The time saved by not having to have the Audio/Visual training sessions and ingress/egress of the equipment on assembly week.

There were just so many benefits to having the RC via virtual given by the GB and their helpers. Personally these two years have been the best and I’ve really enjoyed the convention program since I don’t have to worry about working a department during the convention and missing the program. But with yesterday’s announcement, I guess not.

1 hour ago, Daphne said:

, it did not give you immunity to the variants. 

Yes it did

i was protected against Alpha, Beta and Delta

when Omicron BA.1 arose I was a bit protected and had milder symptoms 

now with BA.5 I had no protection. My husband was vaccinated and had BA.5 too and worse symptoms than I had.

High fever for 5 days

1 hour ago, Daphne said:

She still can not taste or smell.

I lost 30% my taste and smell back in 2020

now with BA.5 I lost 30% more

I have now less than 50% my smell and taste hability 

never recovered 

I ve learned to live with it

16 minutes ago, leoperales said:

There were just so many benefits to having the RC via virtual given by the GB and their helpers. Personally these two years have been the best and I’ve really enjoyed the convention program since I don’t have to worry about working a department during the convention and missing the program

Amen 🙏 

Edited by Sofia

13 hours ago, Friends just call me Ross said:

I had never even heard of Omicron BA. 2.75 until I viewed this video. 😳 

I heard of it. It’s another variant which they aren’t sure how effective the vaccine is against. There’s supposed to be some protection of vaccinated. Either way I’m Leary of large gathering including the 2023 regional. 

10 minutes ago, Pink Butterflies said:

Either way I’m Leary of large gathering including the 2023 regional. 

Agreed. From having Covid-19 in my home last week, with all adults at 4 shots of Pfizer or Moderna - I'm leary also. 

I am making it a matter of prayer. 

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

1 hour ago, Pink Butterflies said:

I heard of it. It’s another variant which they aren’t sure how effective the vaccine is against. There’s supposed to be some protection of vaccinated. Either way I’m Leary of large gathering including the 2023 regional. 

In India it’s displacing BA.5

interesting fact

I wonder if

a) they didn’t had BA.1 or BA.2 and now have this so called “ Centaurus” variant 

b) BA.5 is being displaced so what happens if BA.2.75 comes to the West? Will it displace BA.5 creating a new wave? Or nothing since the majority of the west had BA.2

c) Does a previous BA.2 infection gives protect against this variant?