JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The Mysterious Coronavirus Spreading Worldwide

26 minutes ago, Jay Petersen said:

Brother Jay, it's asked of everyone here to please put in a short comment on what a link is about. And would you like to tell us what the relevance is to this topic on the coronavirus? Though there's nothing wrong with the news piece as such. 

5 hours ago, Qapla said:

I did not see any mention of Covid in that news article :shrugs: 

There is no mention of COVID or any cause of death for that matter. I think we need to move this to a different thread as it has nothing to do with COVID.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

• 2 weeks later...

Australia is heading for its third Omicron wave. Here’s what to expect from BA.4 and BA.5
The Conversation /
By Adrian Esterman
Posted 22h ago

Australia is heading for its third Omicron wave in the coming weeks, as BA.4 and BA.5 become the dominant COVID strains.

BA.4 and BA.5 are more infectious than previous COVID variants and subvariants, and are better able to evade immunity from vaccines and previous infections. So we're likely to see a rise in case numbers....

New mutations give the virus an advantage if they can increase transmissibility:

the original Wuhan strain has an R0 of 3.3

Delta has an R0 of 5.1

Omicron BA.1 has an R0 of 9.5

BA.2, which is the dominant subvariant in Australia at the moment, is 1.4 times more transmissible than BA.1, and so has an R0 of about 13.3

a pre-print publication from South Africa suggests BA.4/5 has a growth advantage over BA.2 similar to the growth advantage of BA.2 over BA.1. That would give it an R0 of 18.6.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-05/what-we-know-about-ba-4-ba-5-third-omicron-covid-wave/101207522

Old (Downunder) Tone

Might make more sense if I knew what an "R0" was/is 

Confused Video Game GIF by Far Cry 6Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

1 hour ago, Qapla said:

Might make more sense if I knew what an "R0" was/is 

Confused Video Game GIF by Far Cry 6Confused Question Mark GIF by Preity G  Zinta

R0 tells you the average number of people who will contract a contagious disease from one person with that disease. It specifically applies to a population of people who were previously free of infection and haven’t been vaccinated.

For example, if a disease has an R0 of 18, a person who has the disease will transmit it to an average of 18 other people. That replication will continue if no one has been vaccinated against the disease or is already immune to it in their community.

https://www.healthline.com/health/r-naught-reproduction-number

Might make more sense if I knew what an "R0" was/is...

Sorry.
Best explanation was in the movie called 'Contagion'.
"R-naught"
Number each person infects.
Bigger the number the worser it is.
(I made a false assumption everybody has seen this movie... My bad)

Old (Downunder) Tone

On 7/6/2022 at 1:10 AM, 👇 ꓤꓱꓷꓠꓵ🎵Tone said:

Best explanation was in the movie called 'Contagion'.

(I made a false assumption everybody has seen this movie... My bad)

That's how I knew what you meant, great movie. 

Edited by Hugh O'D

This article is well written and contains good information 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/08/usa-omicron-variant-covid-wave

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Interesting comments in this article about immunity:

The virus is evolving to evade the protection from infection offered by vaccination or recovery from previous illness with Covid and it seems to be more transmissible as well.

The immune-evasive properties of the evolving variants make new waves more likely, says Tulio de Oliveira, director of the Centre for Epidemic Response and Innovation at Stellenbosch University and the lead of the Network for Genomic Surveillance in South Africa.

“BA.4 and 5 are potentially the variants that can break through immunity the easiest,” he said. They are “really capable of reinfection”.

When a virus mutates so that immunity (vaccine or natural) can't stop it - that is reason for concern and precautions.

Take care all -Covid is NOT over

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

2 hours ago, Qapla said:

Interesting comments in this article about immunity:

When a virus mutates so that immunity (vaccine or natural) can't stop it - that is reason for concern and precautions.

Take care all -Covid is NOT over

Yeah ... I talk to Tulio on Twitter. We speak portuguese :) His work in South Africa is amazingly good and useful. They are in the frontline of this pandemic. Vaccination DOES NOT protect you against BA.5. Not even previous infections. BA.5 is fa different from any other previous variant so the body doesnt recognize it and has no specific antibodies in it´s memory bank.

Another issue: You may have had BA.1 or BA.2 previously a few weeks ago and now yes, you can get BA.5

Is BA.5 intrinsically more pathogenic than previous Omicron variants? No. But BA.5 in certain individuals may attack:

Kidneys; Liver; Pancreas; Intestines; Lymphatic system; throat (tonsilites), nervous system. Some individuals faint, others have twitches or small seizures.

It may lead to more severe kidney damage in long term. Some people keep the virus in long term in their intestines.

ALL variants leave the immune system weaker. Talk to your doctor. Do a blood count every time you have covid. I had BA.5 and my white blood cells dropped to half :o

Yes: Half.

Science proves that each covid infection leaves you with less white blood cells, or with a weaker immune system.

There are natural remedies to help. Contact your doctor.

stay safe my dearest brothers ans sisters :)

Eph. 3:20 “Now to the one who can, according to his power that is operating in us, do more than superabundantly beyond all the things we ask or conceive”

Please elaborate more on the natual remedies that would help...and would you use them before contracting the virus as prevention, or after as treatment..

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

20 minutes ago, Dove said:

Please elaborate more on the natual remedies that would help...and would you use them before contracting the virus as prevention, or after as treatment..

Healthy foods listed here:

https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/foods-that-boost-the-immune-system

Although this company is in the business of selling something, I like the way they broke down some things. Many of which have been recommended all along. 
https://sunwarrior.com/blogs/health-hub/improve-your-white-blood-cells-naturally

Nothing crazy like drinking the freshly squeezed juice from a rock…yada yada. Lol. And no I have no idea if that’s a thing just an example of the ridiculous. 

Jer 29:11-“For I well know the thoughts I am thinking toward you, declares Jehovah, thoughts of peace, and not calamity, to give you a future and a hope.”

Psalm 56:3-“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Romans 8:38-”For I am convinced...”

I think that the ba 4 or ba5 visited my home last week. 

My wife came down with symptoms last Tuesday as she said was not feeling herself and coughing like crazy. She has 4 shots of Pfizer. Seems it got in to her lungs. 

So I called off work that Wednesday and asked about my jobs Covid-19 policy. The supervisor informed me that after being away for 5 days after negative test I can report back to work. So I went to work Monday morning. 

I didn't wear a mask at all and was preparing for whatever comes. Hoping my 4 shot Moderna would deal with it and my normal allergy meds would assist. I take Allegra d and Flonase daily - I am hoping the mild steroid would protect my nasophyrnx from infection. It may have done so. Also I take multivitamins and about 15 to 20000 vitamin d3 with vitamin k. 

All I had was mild body ache for 2 days and mild headaches for same period. Nothing else. And mother in law is 4 shots of Pfizer also. 

Thank Jehovah we are all good so far. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/13/world/coronavirus-newsletter-intl-07-13-22/index.html

Edited by AH173

update

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Yesterday I heard that the current recommendation from the CDC is that if you have not received a booster shot in 2022, get one ASAP. Our last booster was in 2021 so we are scheduled to get a booster shot on Friday.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Yesterday I heard that the current recommendation from the CDC is that if you have not received a booster shot in 2022, get one ASAP. Our last booster was in 2021 so we are scheduled to get a booster shot on Friday.

Booster serves almost for nothing against BA.5 but we must be prepared for another variant in the near future.

they are preparing people for the next wave 

I'm under 50 so I can't get shot #4 at this time. 

Hopefully they will allow this soon, around the same time that Pfizer and Moderna release their Omicron-specific shot. I'll be first in line to get that one :)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Brother_Bliss said:

I'm under 50 so I can't get shot #4 at this time. 

Hopefully they will allow this soon, around the same time that Pfizer and Moderna release their Omicron-specific shot. I'll be first in line to get that one :)

That omicron vaccine doesnt protect us from BA.5

Its mess this vaccine stuff.... manufacturers are always one step BEHIND the variants :(

A pan-vaccine is required, but still no tech is developed to discover one.

It´s been studyed ever since 1976 - on feline coronavirus, and still no luck.

Fortunatly it seems to protect people against SEVERE disease. That´s good enough. Less deaths less hospitalizations.

4 hours ago, AH173 said:

Seems it got in to her lungs

Omicron BA.5 doesnt infect lungs. Unlike Delta in 2021, omicron variants cant do it.

I also had cough (I had BA.5 in june), from oropharinx. Some people get infection as far as trachea or big bronchioli. 

Never alveolii in lungs, FORTUNATLY!

On the other hand, ill people with omicron dont develop antibodies against it... 

There´s some celular immunity memory... but if the next variant is far too different fro BA.1 BA. 2 or BA.5 then we will catch it again :(  Vaccines dont protect either from infection.

So much for the so called herd immunity... It will never be reached with Omicron variants.

Edited by Sofia

23 minutes ago, Sofia said:

That omicron vaccine doesn't protect us...

Fortunately it seems to protect people against SEVERE disease.

I'm quite happy to keep rolling up my sleeve if it means taking severe disease and death off the table 😉

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

1 hour ago, Sofia said:

Omicron BA.5 doesn't infect lungs. Unlike Delta in 2021, omicron variants cant do it.

Thanks for your expertise. I mention that because of all the deep coughing that she had and still has a little bit of it still.

I'm glad that whatever it was passed and we are doing well.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible